Cover Image: Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations

The art added to these classic books is just fantastic. I love the covers and I love reading through the books with the new art.
**I got this book from Netgalley for my honest review!**

I feel like this adaptation of the original stuck pretty well to the original. It made getting through the story not only quicker but easier. Obviously I wouldnt recommend replacing with with the original for study but I still recommend it if you want to read the story
Hello,
Disclaimer, received this book in exchange for an honest review!
I LOVE CLASSICS, or at least most of them.
I knew that any Charles Dicken would be difficult for me to get into due to the writing style, the length and  the fact that he was paid by the length of his books rather than the plot which made his book excessively long.
I really enjoyed the story, the manga format really made it come to life.
I would recommend to anyone who finds classics  or certain classics daunting to give these manga a try.
While it isn't exactly the same, and doesn't contain the same amount of details, it truly gives the reader a new or amazing experience of a classic read/never read before.
Overall great, I gave this ; 3.9/5 stars
-Bookarina
Cover:
This cover is SO beautiful! Look at Pip and Estella: they look amazing ;-;

Plot:
Pip is an orphan who lives with his sister and his brother-in-law, Joe. Pip's sister thinks that Pip is a burden. She is always complaining about him. Joe is a blacksmith and he is nice to Pip.
Mrs. Havisham is an old woman who is rather strange. She was betrayed by the man she was in love with. Ever since that heartbreak she is bitter and filled with hatred and a lot of anger. Mrs. Havisham has adopted a daughter: the beautiful Estella who is very very proud and rude.
Pip however falls in love with the beautiful ice queen Estella. He has great expectations for his life: he wants to become a rich men and then marry Estella.

Overall:
I really liked the manga. It is a quick read where you can see Pip growing up and becoming a great man. You see him at his worst and at his best. I loved the story, the characters and the artwork in this manga is just superb.

I recommend this series of Manga Classics. It was my second time reading a classic in the style of manga and it won't be the last one.
Rating: 4 stars for the gorgeous art,
2 stars for the actual story.

I'm grateful for these manga classics because now that I've read this in the manga format, I know how boring the book is and I can happily give the long format a miss without feeling left out.

I didn't like the protagonist and his 'great expectations' nonsense (possible I just dislike the good ol' British classism and elitism)
All the female characters were terrible, come to think of it, I didn't like any of the characters! (with the exception of Joe Gargery maybe) but the artwork kept me going and I was able to finish it in just a day. I hope to see many more classics converted to manga, because they make for such fun reading!

Thanks to Udon entertainment for providing me with a Netgalley copy.
I haven’t read the original “Great Expectations” , so I can’t judge how this adaption compares to the actual novel, but I enjoyed it a lot. The art style is great and the format is a good way to get people to read more classics.
I loved this movie and I loved this graphic novel. I read A Christmas Carol every year, but have never been able to read any other Dickens novel as it was originally set. This book made me want to watch the movie again.
I was very interested in these set of books from Udon Entertainment because I find that younger generations are able to connect with classic literature easily through visuals and more modern interpretations. I have truly enjoyed their 'Les Miserables', 'Romeo and Juliet', and 'The Scarlet Letter' adaptions, however this one was not up to par with the others from this set, in my opinion. The art itself was beautiful, as it has been in all the book, but the story felt incomplete and rushed. While I realize this is not entirely the fault of the creators of this set, I do think it makes this book harder to enjoy. The original stories are lengthy and must be condensed for these art style books, which can make some of them feel a little rushed; but with this particular title I almost felt whip-lashed with how fast the plot moved. I know that they have to follow the ending as Dickens' made it, but it still feels incomplete in some way. I would still recommend this title for those who find these adaptions helpful for grasping the original stories, I just feel that it could have been better overall.
Finally got into this story! OMG I love the style and artwork in these manga.

This I have found to be the best way for myself to read classics. I cant seem to get into the hovels, but these manga keep me reading!

I am so excited to find more manga classics!
I really loved the art style for this!! These mangas are some of my faves. A new way to present this awesome classic!
I loved the fusion of manga and Charles Dickens' classic tale. The art style was extremely endearing, aiding in building atmosphere and portraying character emotions. The only negative for me was the open ending, there is an explanation in the book, as to why the author chose to end the story in that way but I personally would have preferred a definite conclusion. Overall, a lovely read that would be a great gateway into the world of Charles Dickens, for those that might be intimidated by his syntax
Great alternative to regular book! It brings this great classic to a new level and to life! One of my favorite classics!
Introducing younger readers to classics like the Charles Dickens novel is not small feat but it is the texture in adaptation especially with so much establishing material that can get in the way. Adapting “Great Expectations” [Editor: Stacy King/Udon/304pgs] is no small task since the very aspect of movement can dictate character development within the story. The intention of Pip’s journey is one of conflicting emotions since the character has always been pulled between what he thinks he wants and what is right in front of his face. The artists/editors do a good job of representing this by establishing the different aspects of his life between the benefactors that help him and the dexterity of those that raise him. Like most people, he only understands his loss and error after the fact. MIss Havisham, as with most spurned by love, is the puppet master who is at edge of most of Pip’s problems. However it is his assumptions that always lead him awry. Pip has a good heart but the wrong instincts. His ambition is bigger than his heart which can cause issues. There are, like in the book, places where the audience can fill in their own perception. However with the manga, which is considered unusual, Pip narrates his own story. So the life he leads and the decisions that he makes are only from his point of view. The panels do their best to represent this though sometimes Pip’s thoughts become too repetitive in terms of what his actions dictate. One specific scene where his benefactor and the man’s nemesis duke it out in the midst of large seas and a boat offers an archetypal structure that can be visualized here and would be more difficult to do in say a film. The 1994 film with Ethan Hawke (which is more this reader’s reference to its visual storytelling) does mirror the grasp of beautiful loneliness with a sense of dread that permeates the entire manga leading the reader to feel a love forlorn but also an opportunity missed.

B

By Tim Wassberg
This is a beautiful adaptation. I really love the idea of turning classics into manga. I don’t often read manga, but then again, I don’t read many classics either. I always feel like the language in classics can be inaccessible and dry. Overall, I find them to be intimidating. And I do enjoy manga, even if I don’t really read them often.
Which is why I really enjoyed this adaptation. It’s beautiful and for turning a 1000+ page novel into a 300 page manga its quite the feat.  This is perfect for those who are interested in classics, but are intimidated to dive into the actual classics.
I think it's absolutely amazing that these favourite classics are getting more attention and love in the form of a manga. Such a great idea which I fully support!
Rating: 3.5 stars
The art was good, but story drags a times, especially the last third. Strong start thought.  It drew me in quick.
3,75

"It is a wonderful thing to have great expectations!"

I really enjoyed this manga. I read Dickens' book a few years ago and I did not remember much, just something here and there.
In this manga I really liked the characterization of the characters and the places. The drawings are beautiful and perfect for the story, the choices of the scenes very apt. I liked how they designed Pip's growth. Even the situations are well represented. When there is need of suspense, images create suspense, when there is need of some anxiety and fear the images convey those sensations, thanks to the chosen shots. Now that I'm talking about framing I can say maybe that I almost seemed to see a movie or an anime instead of reading the manga.

A very good read, suitable to bring the most difficult readers closer to Dickens and the classics. As always, the publisher does not disappoint.
Great Expectations is about Pip who becomes a gentleman through a mysterious benefactor. He falls in love, tries to discover who his benefactor is, and deals with the family he left behind and how he has changed from the boy who wanted to be a blacksmith's apprentice.

This is a great example of why I like the Manga Classics series. If I was reading the original book I would have most likely DNF'd it. I wasn't a fan of the story line and it's not a book I would read again. What kept me going was the artwork and how fast-paced the manga is.
I recieved a copy of this book through Netgalley and thanks to the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This is a great manga adaptation. I have always loved anime or manga adaptations of books like Diana Wynne Jones's Howls Moving Castle or Darren Shan's Cirque Du Freak.
I'm a great manga/anime fan and a book addict so the combination of two of my most favorite things in the world s heavenly and this adaptation of The Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is just another example of that.
This is for people who prefer to read illustrated books as it's easier to imagine the story and doesn't require as much concentration but also for those, who are curious how a deep and complicated book like Great Expectations could be seen through the eyes of  an other person.
I read the original book one year ago when I took an exam for certificate in English. It's one of my favorite classics as Pip managed to stay on my good side throughout the whole book, a rare occurance when it coes to classical books like Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice. I was curious to see how it will be turned into manga. The art is great and the story follows the book precisely. It's was fun to read. A great book for your afternoon tea.
Beautiful adaptation! I really liked the condensed version of this rather depressing classic tale, the artwork makes it a far more pleasant read than would be the case with the original version, but then I'm not a fan of Great Expectations.

Both Pip and Estella are quite awful, each in their own way. I dislike Pip more for how he turns out, because he is loved by Joe and has a great friend in Biddy, so he has less of an "excuse" to grow so weak-willed and shallow. He is given a lot of chances in life, but does nothing but live beyond his means, look down upon his former friends and be less than grateful once he finds out who his true benefactor is. Estella is brought up very differently, taught to hate and use men, to turn away from love. So even though she hurts Pip & others, she is herself also a victim of her warped, loveless upbringing.

I'm not a fan of the story itself, but I do admire the way it was adapted into a manga and really love the drawings!
Pip stays very recognizable as he grows older and starts dressing in a more sophisticated style. The same holds true for Estella, Biddy and Herbert. Very well done.

Visually it's the scenes at Miss Havisham's house, when Pip speaks with Miss Havisham and/or Estella that are the most interesting. The artist really knows how to capture the tragic, poisonous mood and Estella's beauty stands in stark contrast to Miss Havisham's faded looks.