Cover Image: A Thousand Nights

A Thousand Nights

This was really slow and I couldn't get into it. That being said, the package alone was beautiful and enough to make me consider. (Pink hardback with stencilled edges.)
I requested this one back in the day as I had every intention of reading it. However, its been years and I still haven't gotten around to it and while I feel guilty at not reviewing a book I think that I need to admit to myself that I won't be reading this one anytime soon....if at all.
I recently bought a new kindle after my old one broke.  For some reason I was unable to download this title from the cloud onto my kindle, therefore I will be unable to review this title.  I am sorry for any inconvenience caused
I requested this years ago and wasn’t able to download at the time. I’ve since read it and enjoyed it!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It really drew me into the storyline and took me on an adventure.
It was really nice to see a female protagonist to make a huge impact on the story!
"Lo-Melkhiin killed three hundred girls before he came to her village, looking for a wife. When she sees the dust cloud on the horizon, she knows he has arrived. She knows he will want the loveliest girl: her sister. She vows she will not let her be next."

A fun read, sometimes the book dragged a bit but overall, i really enjoyed it!
This was a basically forgettable retelling of Scheherazade's tale.  If this had been one of the stories told to keep king Shahrayr (or Lo-Melkhiin, as he's named in this version), the bride would be dead. It was slow-paced and unremarkable. Not Johnston's best.
The book was described as beautifully written and really interesting. It was also compared to the latest fairytale retellings that had been published in 2015, such as The Wrath & the Dawn, A Court Of Thorns & Roses, and Legacy of Kings, two of which I have read and loved. I was really excited to read this book, not just because it's a retelling, but it's a retelling of A Thousand & One Nights just like The Wrath & the Dawn. Anyway, here's my review!

There are so many things that I love about this book: the characters, the magic, the setting, the plot, the language, and how original it is. The original tale describes a king who marries women, but within a few days ends up killing her; and a young girl who sacrifices herself and ends up marrying the king, but saves herself by creating fantastical tales. A Thousand Nights is the same in those respects, but it's actually really really different compared to the original. The magic aspects to this story are really interesting, and nothing like I've read before. The characters were very diverse and very beautifully written, the one weird thing about this book was that none of the characters had actual names. That one thing kind of caused me to feel as if I couldn't connect with the characters as much as I had wished to. I also wished that there was one other perspective that I could have read in the book. I wish there was more of Lo-Melkhiin's perspective...people who have read the book will understand. One of the main reasons that I loved this book was because of the main themes. The "love" and "family" themes were so very important in this book, and every action and decision that the heroine makes is based of what she thinks will keep not only herself safe, but her family in the desert as well.

This book really does feel like a story that you would hear around a camp fire, or reading a huge book of fairy tales. This story was just so beautiful, so diverse, so original, and so wonderfully written. I hope that E.K. Johnston writes more fantasy and/or more fairy tale retellings. She has fantastic writing style, and I really cannot wait to see what she releases next into the YA world.
A beautiful retelling of the Arabian nights, with a great twist on the reason for the princes cruelness.  Truly magical.
I was very excited about this book, but it's just not for me or my library. I will not be reviewing any further.
Unique take on a classic tale. The king has been marrying, and promptly killing, a girl from each village in the kingdom. Our heroine (name never revealed) agrees to marry him to stop him from taking her sister, and ends up gaining enough power to right the imbalance in the land.

The setting was vibrant and the story compelling. I enjoyed the heroine and her relationship with "small gods" and local magic. I also like that her name was never revealed -- added a unique twist to this story.

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I apologize for the delay - I thought that I had submitted feedback regarding this book, but it appears that I did not. I read it a long time ago and I am sorry that I do not recall the specifics of the book. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and I apologize for any confusion.
Kind of redundant of Aladdin, but without the adventure and action. Did not connect with any of the characters.
I loved this story and the characters, the writing was beautiful and is definitely worthy for reader's advisory.
Very beautiful, I loved it immensely. The characters made me fall in love. I really liked this and will be recommending it.
I absolutely loved this story. Despite its potential for an uncomfortable, forced relationship, Johnston pushes this story away from just being a temporary bride into a young woman understanding her own power and ability to stand against forces of evil.
I really loved this book!  It was exciting and full of adventure.
The way that A Thousand Nights was written is nothing short of magical. The story flows so effortlessly, and so beautifully. In fact, there were only a few times that I felt that I was in fact reading a story, and not actually living in this one. There’s almost a lyrical style to her writing.
This was an excellent, lush retelling! i loved it. I'm excited for the next book.
I'm so sad to write this review because I really wanted to love A Thousand Nights, but I can't give it more than 2 and a half stars. My reaction is probably justified by the book being vastly different from what I expected and not because it's technically bad. But this book feels like a very young adult genre and doesn't quite deliver (but I wouldn't know what genre it is either).
The story dragged along often and even those the prose is beatiful, that alone cannot carry a book for me.