Cover Image: Orphan X

Orphan X

I read this years ago, devoured would be the right word actually. I became obsessed with Orphan X, Evan Smoak, with the reading of this book, which I had checked out of the library. I ended up reading all the books in the series the next couple of days, which sadly at that time were only books two and three! Ever since then, I've waited anxiously for the next saga of the Nowhere Man. Excellent series!

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I just reviewed Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz. Thank you to Netgalley for the ebook.

This genre of writing is not usually my cup of tea, or iced vodka which is the case here. However I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the story is split in timelines, from childhood to adulthood of the main character. He is reacheresque in nature which tells you all you need to know, there were a few highly detailed physical combat sequences which I ended up skimming through, as I said not my favorite genre, but the whole story was so worth the effort. Touché, now I know why this is available on Netgalley so long after original release, first of a long series.. I think I’m now off down an Orphan X rabbit hole!!

The only thing better than seeing a Gregg Hurwitz book up for grabs, is GETTING that Gregg Hurwitz book. I am a huge fan of this series and love nothing more than a lazy weekend with one of them.

This book is fast-paced with lots of actions AND characters that you really connect to. The Nowhere Man is both realistic and likeable and you can't help but root for him (and his crew).

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

•Fast Paced
•Action-Packed
•Intense Setting
•Realistic and Likeable Character
•Past and Present POV.

This is a high octane thriller. I liked the world building and intense setting. The book is action-packed and suspenseful. The author has created such a mysterious characters. Evan is such an interesting character. Also known as Nowhere man. He had a dangerous past and been trained for an Orphan Program. The description and the little details gripped me from page one. The author has added mystery and suspense. This book is a real page turner and a little different from what I usually read. But this is brilliant. I was intrigued by the Orphan program and learning about Evan’s identity and how the circumstances in his past have shaped him. I loved his character as despite how he has been trained, he still has kindness in him. The book is so engrossing and mostly kept me on the edge of my seat. I was trying to figure out what is going to happen next the whole time and the ending satisfied me.

Many Thanks to the Author, publisher and Netgalley.

This has got to be the quickest I’ve read a book in a long time, Evan Smoak is an Orphan, an orphan is a child recruited by a clandestine government agency to be trained in all the ways to kill, he’s also an orphan in the literal sense of the word.
Orphan number ten (or Orphan X) is the best of the Orphans and is…..
He’s awesome, he lives his life by 10 commandments, he’s badass and I’ve official got myself a man crush on a fictional character (Bot my first either lol)
This is a 5 star book for me and absolutely worth checking it out.

Just wow! My first ever Gregg Hurwitz read but definitely not my last! This one hooked me at the very beginning and did not let go until the end. This was packed with thrills, chills and tension. The characters were captivating. Not one full moment of lag time. The punches kept rolling and rolling. Loved it!
Thank you Netgalley and, Gregg Hurwitz for the opportunity to read and review this cracker of a book.

Very realistic and interesting characters. Fast-paced plot that kept me thoroughly engaged throughout. Enjoyed every page of it!

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.

Having recently read the most recent Orphan X book, it was a pleasure to have the original pop up for review and an even bigger pleasure to go back to the beginning and compare how Evan Smoak has grown and changed. Hurwitz wrote a great character in Evan from his relationship with his mentor and father-figure, Jack, who implants his moral center, to his love of special vodka as his only passion in a solitary life, to his ongoing relationship with Mia and Peter who show him what a normal life could be, and Joey and Tommy who give him his own version of a normal life. I recommend this series often and thank St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books, and NetGalley for the opportunity to revisit the beginning.

Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz is a favorite series of mine and OX is an exciting and very entertaining story.
This was such an exceptional and exhilarating ride, that provided hours of pure entertainment.
There are so many twists and turns in it that it kept my attention and on the edge of my seat.
I’m excited to start Lone Wolf!

I would like to thank NetGalley and Minotaur Books for the opportunity to read this ahead of its publication date in return for my honest review.

Thanks to St. Martin's Press, Greg Hurwitz, and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I like the premise of this series and this story - orphans trained from an early age to covertly take care of bad guys around the world. The Nowhere Man is a great concept. There were stretches where the character didn't act as I would have expected (babysitting?) but otherwise this was a quick and enjoyable read. If Reacher or Bourne are in your wheelhouse, give this series a shot.

Review posted to Goodreads manually due to link problems.

This is the first in the hugely successful series, and I’m positive I’d read it years ago…
Evan was chosen and trained, and has spent his life becoming. ‘The Nowhere Man.’
after being a highly trained and effective assassin. We now must read his evolution.
This book is really good, and revolutionary for its time, so it was interesting to read
some of the components I had not thought about for nearly 2 decades. It is nice to
have the origin story for the legion of fans who came to the cause late in the series.
Highly recommend and many thanks to NetGalley and St Martins Press for the download
copy for review purposes.

Purposely selected and adopted as a young boy, Evan, is intensely trained in immersive tactical, strategic and weapons combat; extreme survival skills; and next-level high-tech surveillance techniques to become an unstoppable invisible threat as a government off-book operative in Gregg Andrew Hurwitz’s fast-paced novel, “Orphan X,” that will keep readers engaged from beginning to end.

Unlike others in the Orphan program—who Evan has never met—is raised by a strict yet caring man—his adoptive father and handler, widower, Jack. As a result, although precise and consistent in Evan’s stringent training, Jack makes a point to assure that Evan never loses his humanity nor empathy due to the nature of the work that he’s required to perform.

Evan’s caring nature just may result in his downfall later in life when several helpless people call upon him for assistance. Learn all about the fascinating Orphan program; what happens to special operatives when their services are no longer required; and how one orphan tries to leverage his skills to more positive outcomes in Gregg Hurwitz’s “Orphan X.”

JoyReaderGirl1 graciously thanks NetGalley, Author Gregg Andrew Hurwitz, and Publisher Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martins Press / Macmillan Corporation for this advanced reader’s copy (ARC) for review.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the copy of Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz. I have heard great things about this series for many years so I thought I would try the first book to check it out. Maybe if I had read it in 2016 when it came out I would have liked it more, because Evan Smoak feels like a throwback to books in the 90s when tough men would always save helpless women. It wasn’t a bad book, and I understand why it’s so popular. I might check out his more recent books to see if there are any strong women characters. If you love Jack Reacher books you would probably like this series too.

Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz

386 Pages
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books
Release Date: January 19, 2016

Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Action, Adventure

Evan Smaok was found in a group home. He was a small skinny boy playing with the other boys while a man stood outside the fence watching. Evan approaches the man hoping he would pick him. The man really wanted the biggest toughest boy, but Evan pleaded his case. The man explained that there would be love but there would be toughness. The man became a father figure to Evan.

Evan became an assassin for the government, He was asked to do a job that affected him. He began questioning his role and what is morally right and wrong. Today he is known as the Nowhere Man. He uses his skills to help those in need, but someone wants to stop him permanently. I see Evan as a cross between Jason Bourne, James Bond, and the Equalizer. If you enjoy action books, or vodka, you will like this book. This is the first book in the Orphan X series. I have read them all and wait, with impatience, for the next one.

I would rate this book a solid 4-1/2 stars! Even though it is part of a series, you are not lost with a back story ....this could be read as a stand alone novel! I love this author's style of writing and his characters kept me engaged and entertained until the end of the book!! Evan's antics were a little far fetched but, I overlooked them, as I was so engrossed in the book ...and, basically, who cares ...I was enjoying this book too much!! There were so many twists in this book that when I thought the story line was coming to an end, I checked how many pages were left and - bang - another turn!!! There were moments I laughed out loud with comments and antics of people around Evan. ... and his reaction to said humor was priceless! Now I will do what I do with any really good story ... go back the last 6 chapters and savor it all over again! Kudos to the author!!

I would like to thank Mr. Hurwitz, the publisher and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest and unbiased review! (less)

Title: Orphan X
Author: Gregg Hurwitz
Release Date: January 19th, 2016
Page Count: 367
Start Date: January 6th, 2020, February 8th, 2022, and January 22nd, 2023
Finish Date: January 6th, 2020, March 2nd, 2022, and January 11th, 2023

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:

Evan isn't your normal man. He's more commonly known as nowhere man. If somebody is in trouble, all they have to do is call a number that they are given by somebody else who was in trouble in the past. He comes in and saves the day, so to speak. Everything is going smoothly for him until somebody starts hunting him. They use his need to protect people against him to lure him out. Soon he discovers he's not the only Orphan left.
I enjoyed this story a lot more than I thought I would. I knew I'd enjoy it. It kind of gave off a Dean Koontz kind of vibe. It's not really as dark as I would picture a Dean Koontz book. It's very well written. I wound up getting a credit to it to listen to it on audio as well. Thank goodness for doing that. I had a headache so I couldn't read, so I wound up listening to audio most of today.
I'm not really sure if I can give an accurate description of all of the characters. With the exception of Evan himself. He's like Agent 47 from the Hitman series. That's the parallels I was drawing through the book. I can't wait to see more of him through the rest of the series. To see what he gets into as the series progresses.
This book was narrated by Scott Brick. He did a pretty amazing job with it. I'm almost sure that my cat was listening to the audiobook as well. I'd shout out names of people I thought were about to die and he'd have an alarmed look on his face. I mean I could be wrong, but who knows?
I wouldn't say I had high expectations of this book. I also wouldn't say that my expectations were low either. I thought I'd enjoy it. I didn't know that I would LOVE it and crave more. I'm glad I did. I can't wait to proceed with the rest of the series. I know that book five will be coming out later this month. Maybe I'll have the first four done before then so I'm ready for it!

4 stars for an unusual thriller. The book alternates between two time periods: present day and a time when Evan Smoak is adopted into the orphan program at age 12. This is a secret US government program to train assassins who can secretly kill enemies of the US, while giving the US complete denial ability.
The present day period explains that Evan has left the orphan program, but still has unlimited access to the bank accounts set up in his name under the program, a bit of a reality stretch. Evan uses his training and wealth to help others in danger. If you have ever watched The Equalizer series on tv, then you understand Evan's role in this book.
This is a fast paced thriller, as Evan confronts trained killers, every bit as deadly as he is. I read this book in 2 days.
Thanks to St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books for sending me this eBook through NetGalley.

The Nowhere Man is a legendary figure spoken about only in whispers. It’s said that when he’s reached by the truly desperate and deserving, the Nowhere Man can and will do anything to protect and save them. But he finds himself the one who is being hunted. Lots of action.

Having read the last two books in the series I decided to read book one to see how it all began.
It’s a nice concept for a story. Take orphans at an early age to train them as some supper villain or vigilantly. If you insist on a realistic portrayal of the endurance of the human body, then this series is not for you. Personally, I found the series an entertaining read.
In a way Orphan X is a bit more than the typical action-packed scenario where it is all action but no storyline worth presenting. Orphan X reflects to the times spend with his trainer. A replacement father figure to him. He second guesses some of his decisions and is torn between the actions to take or who to trust. Endangering people he started to care about is a constant worry.
I’m looking forward to the next one in the series.

"...The hard part isn't turning you into a killer. The hard part is keeping you human."

He identified as - The Nowhere Man - an executioner, and terrorist, wanted for a variety of offences by a variety of nations. It was the price that Evan Smoak has to pay to back off from Orphan Program. A program of full-deniability, an antiseptic operation run off a black budget. He was a spy and fully expendable. He was trained impeccably for weapon speciality for covert operations. Until he was assigned to kill a fellow Orphan for being a traitor. He refused. As his handler, Jack Johns has to die. Jack was a father and protector to him. He grief for him.

He moved to Los Angeles and rebuilt an operational alias built with pieces of his true self. A pro bono freelancer helping others who couldn’t help themselves. He'd made an operational miscalculation, his first in eight years over a woman. Meh. Here is the climax of this story when an imposter becomes a threat to his life. I love this brilliant part. It was an adrenaline rush and action-packed which was delivered from the beginning.

I give 4.3 ⭐️. Thanks to @netgalley and the publisher for earc. Opinions are my own.

📚

#donereading #OrphanX by #gregghurwitz #igbooks #igreads #bookstagram #goodreads #emabaca #netgalley #kindlepaperwhite #malaysiamembaca