The Passenger

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jan 2018

This is an intriguing tale of a young woman on the run - we are not told exactly what she is running from, but that is released, to us, over the course of the book.
It is a novel, not a real story, so sometimes you just have to suspend disbelief and go with the story. It certainly does not glamorise being on the run, so that is good.
The ending was something I saw coming, but it rounded the book off well.
I am reading everything I can find by this author now.  The book was well paced and I enjoyed the protagonist very much.  Will be looking forward to more.
After reading a few chapters, I decided this book held no interest for me at this time nor was it a good fit for my blog.  I elected not to finish the book now, but it may well be a case of "the wrong book at the wrong time" syndrome and I might be willing to try it again in the future.  Thank you to Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to sample this title.
One of my favorite things about this is the pacing. Lutz keeps things in a constant state of motion, which is perfect for a story about a woman on the run. Because of this, I had a hard time putting the book down! While I felt like elements of this story were familiar at times, I was entertained and really enjoying how the story culminated at the end. If you're looking for an entertaining, quick read, The Passenger will surely foot the bill. Just don't expect an overwhelming amount of originality. If it were an option, I would give this book 3.5/5 stars.
This book had a lot of twists in it. There are things I couldn't understand and things that I would have handled differently. At first I thought she was crazy for running after Frank died, it just didn't make any sense. But as we were given bits and pieces I realized it wasn't from the implications of Frank's death but had everything to do with her past.

We were not told her past from the beginning and we never get Blue's full, real story either. Tanya-Amelia-Debra and a few other aliases. No matter who she is her past seems to always catch up to her or something else does.

It wasn't a bad story and it kept me engaged and flipping through the pages, racing to see what would happen next. But after a while I got tired of it and when it all came to light in the end I was thrown for a loop and I still don't know how I feel about that.

It was a good read though and I do love a good suspense book.
My thanks to Simon & Schuster for the ARC they provided me in October 2015 and I apologise for not having given feedback back then. Unfortunately I was taken ill before its publication and had a long recovery. I have since bought my own copy,  which I have reviewed for Amazon and Goodreads today.

A total page-turner that kept me wondering all day as to how things would turn out.  I closed it feeling very satisfied.

The novel highlights how difficult it is to be ‘on the run’ and how limiting in terms of how someone can survive. There were also many questions about the narrator and her life before the opening events that kept me totally engaged. Lisa Lutz exhibits her skills in storytelling and character development and I am now keen to read other of her books.

Overall, ticked all my boxes for a psychological thriller.
WOW! Let me just say that I didn't see that coming! No spoilers here because I don't want to ruin it for anyone. This was a really good page-turner.
This was the first Lisa Lutz book I have read and I actually enjoyed it more than I expected.  While it was not a book that kept me on the edge of my seat, I did want to finish it, and whilst not reading, I found myself wondering how the story was going to progress.  I will read books from this author agian.
For some reason, about which I have no idea as I was really excited about this book(!), I wasn't able to get into it from the start itself.
You know those books that when you sit down to write your review, or thoughts on the book, you just don’t really have a whole lot to say?  This is one of those books for me.  While I did enjoy reading The Passenger, it didn’t really leave a lasting impression on me either.  I have conflicted feelings about this book.  On one hand The Passenger held my attention throughout the book, but on the other I also wanted a little more from it.

Our main character, let’s refer to her as “Tanya,” was a big struggle for me throughout the book.  She lacked any type of personality, which made it hard to connect with her.  I wondered if this was intentional on the author’s part to play into the whole “woman on the run” portion of the book where our main character had to shift her identity often…   Regardless, her lack of emotion made it hard for me to root for her or to care about her outcome.   I don’t necessarily need to like a character, but I do need to understand the character & see the reasoning behind their actions.  I really think  if we had been given flashbacks to her previous life throughout the novel (instead of all at the end) this would have helped me sympathize with her.

The “life on the run” portions of the plot – changing identities, living out of hotels, relocating multiple times, always looking over her shoulder, etc. – was my favorite aspect of the book.  I actually felt like the majority of these parts of the book were very believable, which I appreciated.  There is nothing worse than reading a thriller book where you side eye the plausibility of the character’s actions.

Speaking of plausibility, not every aspect in The Passenger was exactly believable.  While I liked the inclusion of Blue’s character, aspects about her & her part in the story were a tad farfetched.  The big plot twist at the end didn’t really sit right with me.  While I didn’t see it coming at all, it didn’t exactly shock me either…  This particular twist could have worked IF we had been given more back story into Tanya’s life.  In all honesty it felt like it was thrown in for the shock factor, but wasn’t set up correctly.

Despite my grievances, this book was definitely a page-turner.  I just had to know what was going to happen to Tanya, or where she was going to end up next.  So while I did enjoy this book while I was reading it, it didn’t exactly “pack a punch” or make itself stand out in my mind from other thriller books I’ve read either.

*Big thanks to Simon & Schuster for providing me with a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
"From the author of the New York Times bestselling Spellman Files series, Lisa Lutz’s latest blistering thriller is about a woman who creates and sheds new identities as she crisscrosses the country to escape her past: you’ll want to buckle up for the ride!

In case you were wondering, I didn’t do it. I didn’t have anything to do with Frank’s death. I don’t have an alibi, so you’ll have to take my word for it...

Forty-eight hours after leaving her husband’s body at the base of the stairs, Tanya Dubois cashes in her credit cards, dyes her hair brown, demands a new name from a shadowy voice over the phone, and flees town. It’s not the first time.

She meets Blue, a female bartender who recognizes the hunted look in a fugitive’s eyes and offers her a place to stay. With dwindling choices, Tanya-now-Amelia accepts. An uneasy―and dangerous―alliance is born.

It’s almost impossible to live off the grid today, but Amelia-now-Debra and Blue have the courage, the ingenuity, and the desperation, to try. Hopscotching from city to city, Debra especially is chased by a very dark secret…can she outrun her past?

With heart-stopping escapes and devious deceptions, The Passenger is an amazing psychological thriller about defining yourself while you pursue your path to survival. One thing is certain: the ride will leave you breathless."

New Lisa Lutz book, aka one of the must reads of the year! So go read it. Now.
This was predictable at times but not bad overall.  A quick light read that keeps you hooked right away.
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty bummed! I totally thought this book would be right up my alley, but there were a few things that kept it from holding the same rating as Gone Girl or Girl on the Train--two books this one's often been compared to. Ultimately, I think the reason I wasn't wowed by this book was that our leading lady simply wasn't as interesting as her counterparts in other bestsellers.

Tanya (the first name she goes by) is a woman on the run from both her past and mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of her husband. In an attempt to remain anonymous and out of the hands of authorities, she takes on multiple identities throughout the book. It made sense to the story, but it only added to the sense of her total lack of true identity. Even physical appearance like hair and eye color, easy ways to picture a character, changed throughout the book.

In addition to that, she also didn't have much of a personality. Even in the midst of all the running, there was a lot of doing on her part with little reflecting. I'm not asking her to wax poetic every five minutes, but with so little reaction it felt a little robotic. She often described herself as a shell of a woman, and I would have to agree--she felt like a shell of a character, one who had very few distinct characteristics, displayed very few emotions, and therefore left me with very little sympathy/concern.

Apart from the main character, there were a few other annoyances. There is a bit of romance in this book, which I found distracting and so "extra". It added absolutely nothing to the story. The other characters in the book also felt a bit ridiculous at times, especially Blue. I also think readers would be better served if there had been snippets of her past scattered throughout the book (apart from the emails), instead of one big info dump towards the end. There were a few hints, but it wasn't enough to have me tearing to pages to find out what happened.

All in all, it was decently entertaining, but in my opinion, there are way better books out there in this genre.
What a let down!

I love the author’s Spellman series, and while I knew this was a thriller (kinda) I wasn’t expecting the same lightness but would have appreciated the humor.

This was a mess. The protagonist is so annoying and stupid and the end was such a cliché let down.
I was curious at first and the first chapter was gripping but it all went down pretty fast.
My favorite way to read a book is to go into it with no expectations. I got this book a while ago; I know I read the description at the time and it sounded interesting, but between then and when I started reading, I'd forgotten the summary. Perfect!

The book starts out with the accidental death of Tanya Dubois' husband. Her initial idea is to hide the body, but she goes on the run instead, getting a new identity to live under. She gets in her car and just drives, until she finds herself in Austin, Texas, where she meets Blue, a bartender who also wants to change her own identity. I don't want to spoil too much of the plot, but I'll just say that the action really picks up in the book after she meets Blue. She starts changing identities like clothes and traveling across the country, looking for places to settle down for a while. A little ways in, I realized she was running from more than just her dead husband, but I just didn't know WHAT she was running from.

All throughout the first half of the book, it felt as though the book had a secret. I could tell that it was winding up to something, and it did not disappoint. There were little clues here and there that hinted at a much bigger backstory than I'd originally imagined. "Suspense" is definitely the way I would categorize this book; it gives you plenty of plot hooks to keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. I would definitely recommend this book, and it's one that I'll probably end up reading again!

Much thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me a review copy of this book.
This is another book where I had to keep asking myself ‘What would I have done?’ Not necessarily at the first call when we meet Tanya who is fleeing from her home where her husband is lying dead on the floor, but later as she continues to make decisions. What is going on? Once you know, you can put the rest into perspective and make up your own mind. Read on…
A good read- but easily forgotten- it didnt stand out
Tanya Dubois has left the body of her husband and the bottom of the stairs stone cold dead. How did it happen?. Who killed him ? Was it Tanya?

As you read this book you will be taken on a journey with Tanya and a few Identity changes and some interesting people along the way. Lisa Lutz has given us a lot of suspense and keeps us wondering through out the novel.

I highly recommend this book and this is my first 5 star of 2018 and well worth. Please go and buy it. Well worth the money.
This story took me by surprise. Lisa Lutz grabs your attention right away with Tanya finding her husband dead at the bottom of the stairs. She is not sure what happened, but she wonders if it was an accident or if he had some help down the stairs, either way she knows that she is going to be the number one suspect. After trying to resuscitate her husband with no luck, Tanya knows that she has to get out of there before the blame is laid on her.

Tanya calls an old friend, gets a new identity and some cash and is on her way. There are clues all along that something is going on with Tanya, but you can't put your finger on it at the beginning. It is not until the end of the story that we learn what it is with Tanya. During her running, Tanya (just going to keep with her original name here) meets a lady named Blue that she can identify with and they become good friends.

Lisa Lutz does drag you along on this wild ride with Tanya, but I think she does it in a good way and the ending will leave you with your jaw open. Once I got started on this book I did not want to put it down. I can't wait to see what is next from Lisa Lutz!
This book was a tantalizing page turner! I felt many different emotions, and fell deeply in love with the main character and wanted her to rise above everything towards the end. I enjoyed this book immensely!