Surviving the Angel of Death

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

How do you write a review of something horrific told from firsthand experience? I can only say that everyone should read this book, if only because we can't forget. We need to remember so we do not repeat. I recommend to everyone.
This book is absolutely fantastic. I had my rhetoric students read this as their book in common last semester. The students engaged really well with the text. Excellent writing and narrative.
I am glad more survivors are coming forward to write their stories. Each of their books is so individual in their experience, not just a crowd all experiencing the same atrocities.Does that make sense? Each person survived in their own desperate way, under different horrendous circumstances. This book should be added to school assignments. I think 5th grade up could probably handle the book. It should be another option along side Night and Diary of a Young Girl. All are different views of same Hell.
Stories of Auschwitz survivors are always so strong and painful that can only have an impact on you. In this case, Eva and her sister Miriam were two of Mengele's twins, children that suffered greatly of a mad man's experiments.
All the atrocities they had to go through, when they found themselves in the concentration camp of Birkenau were more than a child can handle. Especially when they had no one else from their family around to look after them. They had lost touch of their parents and sisters as soon as the set foot on the train platform. Mengele picked his patients first and twins had priority for his monstrous job.
This book will break your heart, but it will also remind you that you have to fight for your existence and your dreams. To quote the author, the learning one can get out of this memoir is:
"
1. Never ever give up on yourself or your dreams, for everything good in life is possible.
2. Judge people on their actions and the content of their character.
3. Forgive your worst enemy and forgive everyone who has hurt you— it will heal your soul and set you free.
"
In a way, this is a hard book to review. Eva Mozes Kor’s story is amazing. Her will to survive, to keep herself and her sister alive, at 10 years-old(!) is extraordinary. If it were fiction, I would say that it is completely unbelievable. The entire thing. Rounding up entire populations for incarceration or elimination? Twins saved by a deranged doctor intent on performing dubious medical experiments on them? This is the stuff of third-rate dystopian fiction. But it isn’t fiction. This is a true account of what humans can do to other humans. Remembering that Kor’s account, and the innumerable other holocaust accounts, are real is what’s meant when we say never forget.

According to the epilogue, Surviving the Angel of Death is a YA version of Kor’s previous memoir, Echoes from Auschwitz. To me, it didn’t feel “YA” while I was reading it. The writing and organization of the book and clear and good, though maybe not stylistically outstanding. Kor felt that getting her story into younger hands was important. After her marriage and immigration to the US, she relates that it was difficult to tell her story because most people didn’t really have a frame of reference for the holocaust. It wasn’t until the 1978 TV miniseries The Holocaust that she had a basis from which to speak. To me, it seems strange that people might not know, but even I, who read The Diary of Anne Frank and Elie Wiesel’s Night in school, don’t know all the stories.

I read Surviving the Angel of Death right after finishing a book called The Coddling of the American Mind. The authors of that book present three fallacies that they believe people (Americans especially) are falling victim to. One of these fallacies is “the world is a battle between good people and evil people.” It would be easy to read Eva Mozes Kor’s memoir and say, “That isn’t a fallacy. Look at the evil she overcame!” But the antidote to the good/evil fallacy is to remember that we have everything in common as humans.

"In 1993 I traveled to Germany and met with a Nazi doctor from Auschwitz, Dr. Münch. Surprisingly, he was very kind to me. Even more surprising, I found I liked him."
    Eva Mozes Kor, Surviving the Angel of Death, pg 131

That Eza Mozes Kor was able to forgive what had been done to her, that she found peace in that forgiveness, is maybe what shouldn’t be the most extraordinary thing of all.
Quick read. Probably best for someone with limited experience with holocaust literature. This one left me wanting so much more.  I expected to read about the horrors imposed by Josef Mengele but this story just glazed over it.
I thought this book was excellent.  It was very detailed and the story made you feel like you were actually there.  This is a bit of history that shouldn't be forgotten.
Surviving the Angel of Death is one of the few Holocaust books that I've read. Its a shocking  account, and is made even more horrific being lived through the eyes of 10 year old.

The writing is honest and straightforward with no feeling of events being romanticized in order not to shock the reader. As Eva fights for both her own life and the life of her sister, my admiration grew stronger by the line for this tough, spirited child who used her own experiences to help others become inspired and to understand exactly how much forgiveness can achieve.

I was, enraged, saddened and had full admiration for Eva' history teaches us all sort of things and this book should be on the reading list of all schools.
"At Auschwitz dying was so easy. Surviving was a fulltime job. We gave them our blood, our bodies, our pride, our dignity, and in turn, they let us live one more day."

There is something to be said about this book; I read it several years ago and it still remains in my mind. Mengele was a monster, truly. Even if his intentions had been to learn, there were humane ways to go about it. Sadly, he was a Nazi and his subjects didn't matter. They had no rights, they had no say. He tested upon them and did so carelessly.

"I was given five injections. That evening I developed an extremely high fever. I was trembling. My arms and my legs were swollen, huge size. Mengele and Dr. Konig and three other doctors came in the next morning. They looked at my fever chart, and Dr. Mengele said, laughingly, 'Too bad, she is so young. She has only two weeks to live ..'"

Sometimes a review is long and it doesn't need to be. This book is one everyone should read if possible. I cried, I was filled with joy and heartbreak..the Holocaust survivors who have written their stories or spoken them...I am thankful for their courage and endurance, in that they can reach inside of themselves and go back to that place in their lives and relive it so that no one forgets. And we shouldn't forget because it shouldn't happen again. (Yet, it does in other countries and will likely continue for all time.)

I don't want to reveal anything for this because, at 175 pages, you can finish it within the day if you wanted and have the time. Eva writes honestly and with a great deal of honesty and love. Her candor or us refreshing an there is nothing pretentious about her. You'll love her and feel for her.

And you will remember her because this is that sort of story.

Read, learn, share and remember.
★★★★☆½ rounded up because the novel went by quickly and was rather short but still managed to pack so much information!
This is a short book, but an amazing account of Eva’s drive to survive Auschwitz, and to look after her twin sister Miriam. Both were ripped from the rest of their family and forced to endure the experiments of Dr Mengele.

The book is written for a young adult audience, so is simple to follow, yet gives a detailed and harrowing account of the conditions and experiments the girls had to survive. We know from the start that they escape as it is Eva’s memoir, but there are still points in the book when the obstacles seemed insurmountable and death was imminent. However against the odds, Eva works to keep both girls alive and they are freed. The account of how they adjusted to life after the concentration camp is also sobering, as life continued to be a challenge. This book will keep me thinking for a long time.

This review is based on a free copy of the book that I received from NetGalley.
I have read many books about the Holocaust but this is the first regarding the experiments on twins. Eva's story is one that needs to be shared far and wide. As children, herself and her twin sister Miriam arrived at Auschwitz with her family. At only 10 years old they were separated from their mother at the request of Mengle a sadistic scientist. The two young girls were routinely injected with diseases, had blood drawn all while struggling to survive.

The courage and determination that Eva had at such as young age is what kept her and her sister alive. Of course, there were times that without outside help the girls would have surely died. This was an important reading experience but it is heartbreaking to think of such vulnerable children being treated this way.

An important read and this got 5 stars.
Read this one in one sitting. Have watched a number of documentaries about Eva Kor so I thought I knew what to expect, but this was a real emotional read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and won't be forgetting about it for quite some time. Highly recommend for history fans and readers of non-ficiton
Surviving the Angel of Death The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz by Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Rojany Buccieri tells the point of view of ten year old Eva and her experience as a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz with her twin sister Miriam. Dr. Mengele himself selected them because they were twins and through his sadistic medical experiments, he wanted to know the reason how twins came to be. He wanted to crack the code and didn’t care who lived or died to get it. Eva struggled daily to keep herself and twin sister alive. They only had each other, the rest of their family never survived Auschwitz. They got free but it took years for their recovery. Even then, the medical experiments ruined their lives. Miriam’s kidneys never grew past being ten years old. This is an excellent book about a chapter in the Holocaust that I’ve never really knew about. It’s a heart breaking account, but it shows how Eva and Miriam survived and hoped with each other. Its necessary read for everyone.
I was hoping for more from this book but that's not to say it was bad. It just wasn't as good as some other Holocaust titles out there.
I read this book in one sitting.  It is a harrowing and profound read.  It is important that the atrocities that were committed are never forgotten so that humanity can hopefully learn from their mistakes.
I first heard about these twins and their story from my son who learned about them at school. I personally wanted to read their story and get a deeper insight into the horrors they suffered at the hands of a mad man. It's heartbreaking what they went through but it is inspiring to see they survived and went on to live life and share their story with the world.
This books is sad but truthful. Saying I enjoyed reading it feels wrong but I can redo say I did learn some new things about the Holocaust that I didn't know. I like that this book is told from the twins perspective. This version is ment to be for child to learn about the Holocaust and I think it did a good job of making it more suitable for kids but also still telling the horrible truth about that time in our history. I am very thankful yo have been given the opportunity to read this book from Netgalley.
Eva Mozes Kor is an amazing woman.  The world could learn so much from her.  She survived Auschwitz and Dr. Josef Mengele.  If you do not know who he is, a google search will break your heart.
This book is more geared towards the young adult/middle school group.  I liked how it got the story across without being too graphic.  It lets the reader research more if they want to and gives room for parents to read and assist with the learning.

I have read 'Mischling' by Affinity Konar which is in part inspired by Eva and her twin sister's story.  I have read other non-fiction books where they are mentioned or where Mr. Mengele is discussed in scarier, heart breaking detail.  I hesitate to even call him a Dr. for the abuses he brought upon so many people.

I would definitely recommend some Kleenex when reading this book and if you don't finish it thinking about what forgiveness can do I would have to wonder if you were a robot.
Following twins Eva & Miriam this young adult non-fiction details the child hood of the two children through Auschwitz and there encounters with 'The Angel of Death'.
I found the whole story to be utterly moving and completely inspirational.
It was so gripping and equally as horrifying.
It gives a great accounts of Auschwitz and the grotesque medical experiments the poor girls were forced to endure,
The overall message of the book had an incredible effect on me and although shockingly brutal and hideously unfair, I am glad I have read it.