Flawed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Apr 2016

I actually DNF this book before 22% in. I wasn't able to connect to the characters, the story, or the writing. It's one I may revisit in the future, though.
I had a hard time getting into this book right from the start, when we had entire CHAPTERS of infodumping right from the start. Celestine had to give us the background and personality summary of everyone in her house before the inciting incident could even think of starting, and then it just kept going. Every scene, every moment that could have been punchy or tense, was interrupted by this girl's narration that dragged on and on and on.

Part and parcel of her over-explaining was her own morals and mindset, and she'd spend paragraph after paragraph telling us about her moral quandary as if she was at the end of a therapy session having gone through hours of self-reflection, not a confused girl in the middle of some shit. It made the whole thing slow and irritating and made Celestine seem like less of a fully realized character.

But what really killed it for me was the tone of Celestine's trouble with her society. She prides herself as being full of logic, totally rational. But it's not until she's 17 that she sees an injustice going on and 'just has' to step in because it makes no sense? This is a terrible take, because regimes like the one in this book are inherently illogical, and the way it's presented makes it seem like Celestine just ~*~*~somehow~*~*~ never had to run up against this problem? It sat really ill with me, and just got worse as she went on and on about it.

The world made no sense, and to be fair I knew it wouldn't going in. It's an allegory, fine, whatever. But it was also...really dull. Like, if you're going to have a dystopia happening at that level of Not How Shit Works, you at least need some fireworks to distract the reader from that fact.

So...yeah, not one I'd recommend. It's got a decent idea and every now and then there's a good line of commentary, but it's just not a very exciting or tense execution.
Good day! Before anything else, I would like to extend my deepest, sincerest gratitude for sending me a digital review copy of this book (via NetGalley). Thank you very much for the opportunity!

Unfortunately, I am sad to say that I have lost interest in this particular title, and consequently, I have decided against finishing it. Forcing myself to finish a book I am disinterested in (solely for the sake of finishing it) can only negatively impact the entirety of my reading experience, which, in turn, could result in me writing an unfairly negative review. That is a circumstance I hope to avoid. With that said, I believe that the best course of action is for me to simply not read it and to refrain from publicly posting any feedback regarding this book.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Again, thank you for the lovely opportunity!
Flawed is an amazing introduction to the YA genre for the well established Cecelia Ahern. In a world where everyone knows what is right and what is wrong, what happens when the lines get blurred. For as long as she can remember Celestine has known who she is, and has lived her life following the rules. Then one day she sees a person who needs help, but she isn't supposed to help them because they are flawed, but they are still human, so she helps and in turn becomes flawed herself. She sees the injustice of the "Flawed system" and begins to challenge the culture and community around her. A wonderful parallel to today's society, this book is gripping and politically charged, in a good way.
Free copy from NetGalley for an honest review

It took me a while to get to Flawed, but I am glad I did.

I felt that the beginning dragged on a bit, to the point I did not pick up the book for a week or so, but when I eventually got back to it again I read it in one go... and ordered the sequel, Perfect, immediately.

Distinctly 1984ish but with a modern twist, the book is engaging and shows the 'rebel' from an interesting angle - Celestine was completely in sync with the Guild system... until she suddenly wasn't.

I would recommend to Young Adult fans, for sure.
At first I wasn't real sure how I was going to like this read, but the further I got into it, the more I enjoyed it. I think Cecelia Ahern does an amazing job with how she writes this one and the story flows really well.

This story is about Celestine and how she lives in a place where everything has to be perfect. Perfect life, perfect boyfriend, perfect family, perfect everything. If they do something that is wrong, they are considered to be flawed and are branded with an F armband for Flawed.

Celestine finds herself in a situation where her morals and compassion are put to the test. Her reactions now deems her flawed and blurs the lines of what flawed actually means. What is she going to do now?

Cecelia Ahern brings in a lot of the elements that you would normally see in dystopia reads and does a great job with it. Celestine gets to see the other side of things when she is looked at by all the others and judged by them as well. It does not feel very good to be judged by others. We also get to meet Juniper and Art. Arts father is the head of this organization which does the branding so you can only imagine how that makes him feel.

We also get to meet Carrick. As we discover more about him, the more I felt sorry for him and could understand why he felt the way he did. He has a lot to work through and figure out. I also liked how we could get Celestine's feelings on the future. I thought that this added a lot to the story as well.

This was a great read that you will enjoy if you enjoy reading dystopia for sure. I am anxious to see what is next in the Flawed series and what is going to happen with these characters next. Great job Cecelia Ahern!
This is a great read for fans of Hunger Games and Divergent.  I've recommended this to several of my students and it has been well received.  Celestine is a strong female character but manages to maintain her young teenage self in the face of adversity.
Interesting idea, boring execution. What was new about this book? Absolutely nothing. The story, the main character, the EVERYTHING, was flat, dull, and held no interest.
What a fantastic book.  I received a review copy, and took a while to get around to reading it (my bad), but when I did, I liked it so much I went straight to purchase the sequel.
Having this branded as a YA book may put some people off, but I am well past that age group and thought it was great!
I would like to thank the publisher and netgalley.com for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was the best book I have read in some time and I think Cecelia Ahern deserves massive praise for a truly compelling and remarkably crafted piece of dystopian literature. I found myself unable to put this down and read into the wee small hours.
How does a seemingly perfect teenager fall from grace in a society where no one is allowed to be seen aiding anyone 'flawed'? Celestine North lives with her family in the same street as Judge Crevan, the head of the Guild who judge the flawed in society and brand them for life. She is in love with Art Crevan and never dreams that anything will ever burst their bubble of happiness until she comes to the aid of an elderly flawed man on the bus and is arrested for her act of 'compassion and logic' and suddenly finds herself in horrendous and life threatening danger.
Please read this book. It is amazing!
The audiobook was nice because of the lovely accent, but, whew, this book is corny.  Perhaps teen readers who are new to dystopia would enjoy it? But I read all those books ten years ago, and this one has nothing new.  In fact, parts infuriated me--the "logical" main character didn't act logically, she was a moody teenage girl in a world that where everyone was supposed to be perfect, and I felt like I was listening to a Sunday school sermon at times instead of to a YA book.
I really enjoyed this book and think that if you are a fan and Ally Condie matched series that you would enjoy this as well. I am looking forward to the next book.

I felt so angry on Celestine's behalf, which is a sign of a great author that can make you feel so keenly.
The cover was misleading. I thought the book was going to be about a girl of color and was disappointed. I began reading the first few chapters and the premise seemed old and overdone. I wouldn't recommend it to any of the teens I serve.
The concept of "Flawed" was scary because one wrong moment changes everything.  If you can get past that initial premise, it's a good story.
Unfortunately, I had issues with both the main character and the plot as a hole. I didn't even make it through half of this book before I decided not to finish it.
I must admit that at first I found the premise preposterous and the math teacher/charity leader really beggared belief but I forced myself to suspend my belief and ended up quite enjoying it in the end-enough to read the sequel to see if all those threads get brought together a bit better. I most enjoyed the inadvertent "Chaotic Good" of the protagonist!