Cover Image: Mystery Excerpt Sampler Spring 2016

Mystery Excerpt Sampler Spring 2016

Even though this sampler was put out in 2015, I had never read or even heard of most of these books. I love these samplers because I can read little bits of a lot of books and decide which ones I want to add to my TBR list.
I loved looking through the opening pages of these mystery titles. I'm excited to read more from these books and authors, and think any of the books included would be great reads. Many thanks to Penguin Random House and NetGalley for the sample of these books.
Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the chance to read these excerpts!

I always forget that when I say I like mysteries, I like a very specific kind of mystery, tending toward cozy, historical, or noir -- anything that has a little bit of distance between us and the story. So a lot of these were much too scary for me.

UNDER THE HARROW by Flynn Berry -- too gruesome and serial killer-y. Plus, just like the book knows the public would, I'm fixated on the dog death which really gets me.

MURDER ON THE QUAI by Cara Black -- the cover mentions it is a prequel, though I've never heard of the series. But it is good to know that our heroine will abandon her disgustingly cutthroat premed program and embrace her true love, investigating. (I got some Veronica Mars vibes.) I really enjoyed the walk through the process, and all the little gadgets tucked into her purse and disguise as lipstick or blush or whatever, and I look forward to reading more.

ALL THINGS CEASE TO APPEAR by Elizabeth Brundage -- too psychological for me, with the did-he-or-didn't-he vibe of the husband, and the super-stylized prose that forgoes quotation marks.

THE QUALITY OF SILENCE by Rosamund Lupton -- I liked Ruby (though the Twitter account is a bit much), and there's clearly something fishy going on with the police dismissing Yasmin's questions, but the extreme location ("places that can kill you") I just know is going to be too stressful for me.

I LET YOU GO by Clare Mackintosh -- death of a child and guilt of a mother is way more than I can handle

THE CROW GIRL by Erik Axl Sund -- nice and creepy setup, with some woman who kidnaps an immigrant man, imprisons him, and then mutilates and mummifies him, and the police are baffled. I suspected it was going to be too dark for me, then looked at the cover again and decided, yes, definitely.

So all in all, I'm too wimpy for most of these, although I will check out MURDER ON THE QUAI (and dream of Paris).
I can’t review this listing on GR as it’s a sampler, but I really enjoyed all the excerpts I read! Super stoked to read the full length versions.
4 stars.

As a huge mystery reader, I really enjoyed this sampler collection. It had a little bit of everything in each chapter, from thrills to creepy vibes.
I received a complimentary review copy of the Mystery Excerpt Sampler (Springl 2015) from NetGalley.

This sampler includes extended previews of 8 novels. I really enjoyed being able to preview enough of the book to know whether I'd be interested enough to read the whole thing. Each excerpt starts with a full-page book cover, and the publication date can be found in the table of contents.
I was only familiar with two of the title for this sampler: I let you go, and (of course) The Travelers. I am looking forward to discovering the other ones!
I appreciate the opportunity to read excerpts from popular, cutting edge authors to allow me to familiarize myself with them and their work in a short period of time.
This was an interesting sampler that I wanted to check out since I do not usually read too many mystery books and wanted to see if there was something for me. But I wasn't really feeling the genre or the books, I may try again another time.
Even though this is from 2016, I enjoyed reading it.  I love Flynn Berry, so I was very excited to read an excerpt of a book I hadn't read yet!  I like samplers because I can get an idea of a books tone and subject before purchasing.
Oh my, how fun it is to get an early look at such excellent books in the MYSTERY EXCERPT SAMPLER SPRING 2016! I love mysteries and this sampler will help me select my top next reads. Loke Christmas and my birthday rolled into one!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a look at MYSTERY EXCERPT SAMPLER SPRING 2016.
I really enjoyed the excerpts from this sampler, so I am excited for the featured titles to hit the shelves! :)
Although we are more than year later, I downloaded and read this as I love Mystery, Thrillers and Suspense and the like and felt that I may find another great book to add to my TBR pile! Another big reason which links in to the last is that I hadn't really heard of some of the Mystery books sampled in this resource.

Penguin Random House are one of my favourite publishers - they always have some fabulous novels from excellent authors. The samples were extremely helpful in determining which to read and which to leave. I hope that there will be some more of these samplers in the future as they give readers an idea which books are worth their time and money.
This is a sampler that contains a collection of excerpts of thrillers for 2016.

The book has samplers for Under the Harrow by by Flynn Berry (Penguin Books, June 2016), Murder on the Quai by by Cara Black (Soho Crime, June 2016), All Things Cease to Appear by by Elizabeth Brundage (Knopf, March 2016), The Quality of Silence by by Rosamund Lupton (Crown, February 2016), I Let You Go by by Clare Mackintosh (Berkley, May 2016), The Travelers by by Chris Pavone (Crown, March 2016), Try Not to Breathe by by Holly Seddon (Ballantine Books, February 2016), and The Crow Girl by by Erik Axl Sund (Knopf, June 2016).

The samples will give you a feel of the story and the author's style. I particularly enjoyed the excerpt for The Travelers by by Chris Pavone.
Again, an absolute corker of choices for books to read.  Have read The Quality of Silence and All Things Cease to Appear, both brilliant reads which I devoured.  Fantastic that us readers are given these insights into books.  Many thanks.
Great sampler! There are some real gems in here. I can't wait to read the full books.
Amazing excerpt, added the books to my TBR can't wait to get my hands on them!
I definitely enjoyed the excerpts in this sampler. I look forward to finding the featured titles in my local bookstores!
Great titles. I love the writing and plot of several of these. I'll be getting the full versions to find out whodunnit!
thank you.
enjoyed it,
will get copies for family and friends.