Extinction Of All Children

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 May 2019

The main plot begins with Emma being invited to a large banquet for her 18th birthday. President Esther has planned the event with the idea Emma will give a speech there, to celebrate not only Esther, but all the laws she’s brought in. She must say how happy she is there are no more children starving or being neglected, and that she’s blessed to have been the last, but cherishes Esther’s choice. The speech sits uneasily with Emma though, and the first question posed in this novel is simple – can she bring herself to lie?
Her decision, and all the choices she must make afterwards, is the driving force of the story. Much like Katniss volunteering as tribute, or Trice choosing Dauntless in Divergent, Emma is hurtled down a path that will not only prove who she is inside but show the world who the people leading them really are. I mention those two books for a reason, and that’s because Extinction of all Children follows that very familiar Dystopian YA formula we’ve come to know and enjoy. There’s the toughed, but internally naïve leading lady. The corrupt, morally jaded government. And there’s the small group of people within the system open to change, who will, in the end, be the reason the main character gets to where they need to be. It’s comfortable, and a formula we’re used to, but the plot itself is unique enough for this to stand happily on its own. Fans of Hunger Games, Divergent, and even Maze Runner, I feel, will enjoy this thoroughly.

To get into specifics for a moment, the book is written in 1st person, and features Emma as the only narrator throughout, a style I feel is standard for the genre. It’s paced well, with the events happening in a steady stream, with enough time in between for Emma’s thoughts to come into play. There’s a lot of internalisation in this novel, and while that could annoy some – as there is quite a bit of telling, not showing – for me, I was quite happy with that style choice. I would be mindful of that though if you’re not a fan.

This book doesn’t attempt to be anything it’s not, which I applaud, but there’s a forced love triangle in the plot that annoyed me just as much as the one in Hunger Games or Twilight did. I say forced as it’s obvious from the start who Emma will choose, and all the set-up ends with something lacklustre and uninspiring. The plot wouldn’t suffer without it, which says a lot.

Another thing which springs to mind, that I drop on my knees and plead is explored in the rest of the series, is why Esther is so lenient towards Emma. She could have her shot, and jobs done, but she seems to almost enjoy the insubordination, and I desperately wish that was either noticed in this novel or is explained later. It’s incredibly frustrating, and I feel goes against Esther’s character, but until I’ve read the rest of the series, I’ll hold off on having a set-in stone opinion on this one.

All in all, though, my other critique on this novel are minor. I wish there was stronger character development in the side characters, more exploration of District L with clearer descriptions on where everything was, and a touch more realism in how things go down, but these are all things that can be done as the story progresses. That’s something I enjoyed about this novel. It’s a great set up for a series and isn’t inclusive in its plot. The sequels shouldn’t be read as standalones, as this explains a lot about the world and how it came to be, and there is powerful development in important characters. Esther for example, isn’t portrayed as cold or uncaring, she’s revealed to have logic in her choices, even if they’re unpopular opinions.

I also enjoyed the pacing. I know I’ve mentioned it already, but I truly enjoyed the flow of this book. I didn’t get bored or turn pages to get to the next bit, as I’m known to do even with things I love and feel something new happened exactly when it needed to. Furthering that, I liked the plot twists and surprises. I could tell when something would happen, but exactly what wasn’t premeditated, a great feature for any work targeted towards young adults.
I received a complimentary copy of Extinction of All Children from NetGalley, in return for my honest opinion.

Extinction of All Children by L. J. Epps is the first book in a trilogy and is a story about standing up for your beliefs. President Esther has split Craigluy into three territories- L, M, and U- by class. L is the largest and poorest territory. Many of the inhabitants of territory L dream of moving up to territory M and then maybe territory U. The laws aren’t exactly the same for the three territories; the residents of Craigluy cannot move freely through the territories. Only the president can decide if the residents can move and live in different territories.

It’s the year 2080 and Emma Whisperer is the last child to turn 18, in territory L. All the children born after Emma’s birth, were murdered per President Esther’s orders. It is now against the law to become pregnant and any babies born are killed.

President Esther holds a celebratory dinner in honor of Emma’s 18th birthday. The president writes a speech that she expects Emma to give, to show the residents of Craigluy that she supports the president and her laws. Emma can’t lie and ends up jailed. While imprisoned, Emma befriends a couple of guards- Samuel and Eric. They both tell her that she’s inspiring others to stand up and those people are looking for someone to lead them in these efforts.

This was an easy and fast read- great for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent series. My only complaint about this book was that it seemed to end with no resolution. I know this was done purposely to ensure that I read the next book. However, it wasn’t a very long book and if the story was one book instead of three, I still would have read it.

Goodreads Rating: 3/5 stars

#ljepps #extinctionofallchildren #netgalley #dystopia #ya #youngadult #youngadultbooks #readin2019
This book is scary but not in a horror way. It felt so real that I felt like I was living in that world. It's a terrifying world to think about but the book was wrote very well. The characters are real as is the world.
Emma Whisperer was born in 2080 and is the last child allowed to live in her territory. The territories are broken down into three sections separated by class, the rich, the working class and the poor.

All children born in Emmas territory after here are killed. The President doesn't believe that the poor should be allowed to have children.  The President has announced that a party will be thrown for Emma on her 18th birthday to honor the last child born in her territory, Territory L. This unexpected event results in an array of troubles for Emma, who do
esn't agree with the president.

Emma takes a stand and this results in her being jailed however rather than tame her it results in her becoming more of a rebel resulting in some dangerous choices.

Emma is a strong character and the story line is reminiscent of the Divergent and Hunger Games Trilogy's. This in an excellent start to a new trilogy series and am looking forward to seeing what Emma will do.
Extinction of All Children bears some resemblance to The Hunger Games - a “district” that is oppressed, in this case by not allowing its residents to have children; a rebellious heroine; an incipient love triangle, present tense narration (which I am decidedly not fond of but which seems to be a continuing trend) - but is different enough that it doesn’t feel like a ripoff to me. Emma Whisperer is the last child born in Territory L, the lowest of three territories in the nation of Craigluy based on class, and she is turning 18. Before she was born, the president (a president for life, so actually a dictator), decided that the lower classes would no longer be allowed to have children whom (in her view) they could not care for. If a woman is found to be pregnant she is imprisoned and forced to carry the child to term, after which it is supposedly killed. The outspoken Emma is invited to a celebration of her birthday where she is expected to read a prepared speech praising the president but uses her moment in the spotlight to speak passionately against the policy, whereupon she is imprisoned in the presidential residence for 30 days. Before her term ends, she is forced to make what seems to her an impossible choice, which later turns into a plan to help bring down the hateful system.

While I did like Emma and I assume that the reasons for the president’s inexplicable favoritism towards her will be revealed at some point (I don’t think her previous friendship with Emma’s parents is a good enough reason and I have a guess, but only time will tell if it’s right), I had some problems with the book.

1) The worldbuilding seemed to be cursory at best. Craigluy is supposed to be located between California and Arizona, so is presumably carved out of pieces of both, but there is no explanation for its existence or indeed, whether or not the US even still exists, only 60 years from the present. There is a reference to the seasons being “messed up,” so presumably climate change has had an effect, but technology and infrastructure seem to be intact. Virtually no people make more than a brief appearance besides Emma’s family and the people in the presidential residence (mostly guards), so I could not really get a feel for the society. One of the things that flummoxed me the most was that “free birth control” is handed out to the residents of Territory L - they never specify as far as I can remember, but I would assume it would be pills and possibly condoms - but even now there are implants available that last for months, as well as IUDs. Surely they would be at least that well equipped in 2080.

2) In my opinion, “President Esther” has to be one of the most incompetent dictators in fiction, or possibly ever, and I’m surprised she has stayed in power for what seems to be over 20 years. She seems to spend an awful lot of time - if she doesn’t actually live there - in the territory with the reason to hate her the most, as well as allowing people from that territory to be her guards with what seems like minimal screening - armed and trained in deadly force, and in her presence almost constantly. She has no surveillance in at least her short-term jail, which is located in her residence. She appears to have very little surveillance within the residence itself, so her prisoners, if left alone by their guards, can pretty much wander around at will. Finally, while she has built walls (shades of 2019 America) between the territories which appear to work far better than any walls in the real world, vehicles are allowed to cross from one to another without being searched.

Despite these flaws, it did interest me enough that I will be the second book in the series to see what happens and if any of the things that bothered me are addressed. I would also acknowledge that the target audience for this series (YA) might not find these things a problem.

I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed reading this. An interesting story with fun characters. Well written.
What happens if one lives in a vastly controlled society where reproduction is out of the question? What if you are the last person that was allowed to be born? If you can imagine anything thing with these last two questions make sure to read this book.

That is all I will say say about this. Just read it.
The journey of Emma is an exciting adventure.  Throughout the story, you can't help but question the secrets that exist.  The strength and resilience of Emma is one that cannot be measured as she demonstrates her ability to be a strong female role model.  The conflicts Emma faces are difficult and as a reader you empathize for her need to make a choice.  The novel leaves you wanting more and more.
Rating: 1 out of 5 stars.

ARC is provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“I guess I should rephrase that. She isn’t like you. She is weak. She would let my father abuse her, and she would just take it.” He blinks a few times. “I’m not saying she should have fought back, but she could have at least told somebody or left him.”

Emma tries her best to help her sister who’s had an illegal child in a society where having children is forbidden. She lives in a society divided into three territories – L, M, and U – and the rules are strict and punishable with prison. Children born illegally are taken away from their mother and killed.
Emma, the last eighteen-year-old, in territory L, is expected to attend a party in honor to herself, and during this party the president wants her to hold a speech. As she refuses to bend, Emma holds a speech that lands her ass directly in prison and this is where she spends most of this book.

I don’t even know where to begin with this review. When I read the quote I have at the top, I had to put the book down and go rant to my boyfriend – and boy, was my rant long. I am still ranting because I still feel disgusted after reading this book.

On average it takes an abused woman seven tries to leave her abuser. Some never leave, and some never get the chance to. Having the love interest in a YA-book convey a message about abused women being weak is beyond nauseating, and Emma not reacting accordingly makes it even worse!
I would have been all for it if a secondary character, like Rich, had this opinion. Then it could have been used as a learning moment, considering Emma kicks his ass later in the story.
Women being weak both mentally and physically is a recurring theme in the story – given through characters Emma trust – and giving this message to a younger audience… seriously, what the fuck?

Don’t get me wrong, not everything in books can be flowers and rays of sunshine. I mentioned in another book review I wrote that sexual assault was a threat throughout the entire story, but it was from secondary characters, and the main characters knew morally that assaulting each other is wrong.
At least in YA-books, I think the main character and the love interest should display healthy thinking and morals – unless the story warrants it and uses it as a teaching moment (such as the main character realizing such behavior is unhealthy). I remember watching the movie adaption of the book ‘The Kissing Booth’, and I was horrified by the fact that the main character swooned over the abusive behavior of her love interest. I was even more horrified when I learned that teenage girls swooned over him too.

Take into consideration that these characters are eighteen and older, and Eric is a guard employed by the president, he’s not a child anymore. I surely hope he’s got a lot of character development coming for him because he needs to grow up – years ago.
I should also mention that Eric himself was not abusive in the book, it was just his opinion that was disturbing.

Okay, so that was my rant about horrible views towards women. Let’s have a go at the writing, shall we?
The plot is basically Emma getting imprisoned early in the story, and that’s about it. She spends her time training with the guards because apparently, that is what prisoners do – or at least Emma because she’s special. Everyone treats her like a snowflake, and while others think she’s pretty, she thinks of herself as bland – go figure.

During the first few chapters, there was the unnatural and robotic “as you all know…” info-dump through dialogue. When the characters present during this dialogue already know the information given to them, it’s unnecessary to have another character repeat it. There are tons of other ways to convey the information the author wants us to know.
Also, everyone above the age of eighteen is given free birth-control to avoid pregnancies. No one below eighteen gets them, because they are not allowed to have sex. When has that ever stopped a teenager from doing whatever they are not allowed to?

There were quite a few repetitive sentences and wordings in this book, such as “made my stomach queasy”, and the word “quake” showed up a lot. It pulled me out of the story, and here too there are numerous ways to describe what she’s feeling.

Upon meeting Emma, a lot of characters feel the urge to spill their entire life story to her. Because that is what people do when they meet each other for the first time. Especially a few of the guards gave up a shitload of information while she was a prisoner – not doing much of a decent job there, aye?

I also get a faint smell of a love triangle, although it’s not explored too much because Emma herself is unsure about the other character’s intentions.

Anyhow, I don’t recommend this book at all. I am done ranting now.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This is a good dystopian novel and describes a society that has been broken into three different territories: one for the rich, one for the workers, and one for the poor.  The characters are well drawn and the story moves along well and is engaging.
Again, another review where I have to post a trigger warning. In this world, the babies born to the people in Territory L are killed. It is not mentioned in what manner they were killed. The author left enough unsaid for my imagination to go overboard. So, it is safe to say that if you are triggered by infanticide, then do not read the book or the review.

When I saw this series turn up in NetGalley’s Read Now email, I was immediately intrigued. A world where society was divided up by classes? A world where the lower class was not allowed to have children? A heroine who was upset at the restrictions that were in place. Who was willing to do whatever it takes to make sure those sanctions were lifted? Yeah, you could say that my interest was caught.

Emma Whisperer was the last child born in Territory L. All babies born after her were killed. Why she was spared that fate, she didn’t know. She knew that President Esther was wrong in not letting the people in Territory L keep their children. So, the night of the party celebrating her 18th birthday, Emma took a stand. That stand ended up landing her in jail. But, it is in prison where she makes her most dangerous decisions and discoveries. Is standing for what she believes in the right thing? What will be the consequences for her actions? What did she discover?

Like I mentioned above, the plotline caught my interest. How could it not have been? I was a massive fan of the Mockingjay and Divergent series. I figured that the Extinction of All Children would be the same. In a way it was. But it was also different. Emma wanted to change things, and she didn’t let anyone stop her. She made her case in the Extinction of All Children at the beginning of the book. She kept making it every time she got a chance.

I did like Emma. She stood up for what she thought was right. She did try me nuts, though. Even though she was 18, she acted like she was so much younger at points in the book. Her eyes rolled so much in this book; it wasn’t funny.

Let’s talk about President Esther. She made my skin crawl. I couldn’t understand how one bitter woman could decide that a class of people didn’t deserve to have their children. I got why she felt that way. Growing up poor will leave scars. But to punish people for what her mother went through. That screamed deeper issues. How deep, though, wasn’t revealed until the end of the book.

The Extinction of All Children fit in well with the dystopia genre. The author did a fantastic job of building up a world where a country was divided into classes and walls.

This book also fits in well in the Young Adult genre. If the characters had been older, the book wouldn’t have worked. It needed young people. It required that energy that Emma had and projected.

The end of the Extinction of All Children left me with more questions than answers.. I wondered why certain people had grudges. I wondered who the head of Territory M was. It was well written, but nothing was ended. The storylines were not completed. Which is fine because that is a lead in to book 2
The concept of the dystopian fiction of a future where anyone under the age of 18 is forbidden to live is such a well thought and clever concept.
I'd almost imagine this book as a crossover of the hunger games and the giver, there are themes of thriller and romance incorporated into this book and the chemistry between the characters are amazing.

The novel is based on a girl called Emma who is the last 18-year-old living in her territory. It depicts how she survived and what it feels like to be the only girl her age in town. The ending of the book is simply far from what you expect and overall the plot and storyline were very interesting. Looking forward to a sequel!
What a read! I really didn't expect this book to be like this.
Action, Twists, turns and a world where nothing is fair and nothing is what it seems.
I was hooked from the very start. Everything resembled a dystopian novel, like those ones I love so much: a crazy president, a dictatorial regime, three different territories, with riches in one, the middle class in another and the lover class in another.
Everything is brilliantly described, Emma Whisperer, the main character, is the heroine of the story, a girl, barely 18 years old, from the Territory L (lower class) thinks everything should be different, she thinks the walls that separates the three territories shouldn't be there and everyone should be free to roam whenever they want.
But the president doesn't think so, and Emma's adventures toward justice starts there, from the prison where she finds herself in.
What do I think of this story?
It's incredible how the author creates this parallel world in the middle of the USA (from California to Arizona), the storyline is original and I honestly didn't expect all of this.
I literally ate it up in a day.
The only downside I found a little irritating is the way Emma's attitude sometimes puts her in danger. She is too way stubborn and she doesn't listen to other people even though she knows they are right.
Other than this everything was incredibly written and described.

*Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
This book was not for me.

The main character Emma is unsympathetic, to arrogant to work in a shop or on a farm and seems to be one of these "chosen one" characters, who have nothing special on the page, but are sooo impressive to other characters in the book.

The influence of "The Hunger Games" -series is pretty obvious, this doesn't have to be a bad thing, if only it would make something more interesting out of the premise.

Everything in this book is black and white, characters and worldbuilding are weirdly flat, the repetitions remind me of childrens books.

I gave this book one star for basic formatting, one star for the story arc and one star because it is a YA book.

YA books can be very interesting to me, but sometimes are just to simplistic for my taste. A book I might have enjoyed very much as a teenager now feels very flat.
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

Extinction Of All Children is the 1st book in a trilogy by L.J. Epps. I have seen it referred to as both the Extinction and the Extinction of All Children trilogy. If I really like a book I hate to wait for more in the series. Fortunately, all 3 books have been published.

At first, I am not sure why but the series reminded me of the Shadow Children 7 book series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. (If you have not read the Shadow Children you should definitely check it out.) Both were written well and involved societies in which children were not allowed to be born. That is where the similarities end.

In Extinction, the world is divided into 3 classes - the rich, the working class, and the poor - in which they live in separate  territories and are not allowed to mix. The poor are forbidden to have any children. This series focuses on Emma, the last child born in Territory L. Any children born after her were taken to be killed. She is the last to turn 18. She knows this is wrong and you will need to read the book to find out what she does about it.

Review published on Philomathinphila.com, Smashbomb, Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble on 4/10/19. Will publish on Scribd.com when available.
An interesting dystopian novel that involves a young lady who is searching to find her voice and purpose.
This book was crazy, but in a good way.
I actually liked this book better than the Hunger Games.
A four star read.
Craigluy is a world divided according to class. Lower, middle and upper classes are separated and live totally different lives. In Territory L, Emma Whisperer is the last child to turn 18. The last baby to grow up. Lower class citizens have been deemed irresponsible and are no longer allowed to have children. Anyone who comes up pregnant is arrested, forced to bear the child and watch as the baby is taken away to be killed. It is a brutal world to live in. Those in Territory M and Territory U have other options, but President Esther controls all aspects of society no matter which class. Emma Whisperer....the last child....wants to change everything. She wants everyone to live together again...for people to be free.

The Extinction of all Children series is a trilogy. Book one introduces Emma and centers around Territory L. The storyline moves from L to the middle class area and on to the upperclass walled-in territory in the final book. I enjoyed how the characters developed throughout this series. Emma knows in the first book that she wants to see President Esther's policies destroyed...to remove the segregation from the people of Craigluy. Over the 3 books, Emma and the followers/supporters she gathers go from dreaming of freedom to actually fighting to try and make it happen. President Esther is a worthy, tricky adversary. She is wiley and wise. I found myself not able to totally hate her. Down at her very core, there is some good....at one point she actually had the best interests of the people at heart. But it got twisted inside her mind. Absolute power really does corrupt.

All in all this series is a very enjoyable read. I found the premise a bit unrealistic, but the story for me was enjoyable enough to override my sense of realism. The charcters are nicely developed over the 3 parts of the story. There is a lot of action, and the story moves along at a nice pace. There is plenty of suspense and some nice twists in the tale.

Enjoyable read! Nothing inappropriate for older teenagers, but be aware that there is discussion of abuse, death, imprisonment, murder, infanticide, torture, violence and other topics that may require a trigger warning for some students/adults reading this series.

**I voluntarily read review copies of the three books in this series by L. J. Epps via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
This was a fun dystopia to read. A little bit The Breeder, and a little bit Hunger Games. Esther REALLY reminded me of President Coin from Mockingjay. Looking forward to the next two books.
Interesting premise, creepily similar to The Hunger Games.  But boy oh boy, this is no Hunger Games.  The story quickly devolves into a ridiculous opus on an evil President killing all the babies in Territory L (for losers or lowlifes or, not really sure what it was supposed to stand for).

The writing is amateurish, the characters one dimensional, and I started skipping whole paragraphs, then whole pages, just to bypass the repetitive descriptions of every, single, little, thing they do and say.

Can't recommend this book.