Cover Image: Extinction Of All Children

Extinction Of All Children

I got this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It's a fascinating story with a fast paced plot and very interesting ending. The characters are well developed and it was easy to care about them and about their story.

If you're into science fiction and political/social intrigue, and the discussion of issues that seem a little taboo then this book is for you and your friends.
While this may have a slight resemblance to the Hunger Games franchise since they both revolve around dystopian communities with a strong female protagonist, I thought this book was fun and interesting! The story is a bit slow at times, but the book picks up towards the end, and ends in such a way that makes you want to pick up the next book in the series. I liked Emma as the main character but felt the romance between her and Eric was rushed and very off. Overall though, a good start to the series.
I love dystopian novels and this one was right my alley, it was amazing and intense, I will be reading more of the author, that's for sure!
"Extinction of All Children" eBook was published in 2016 and was written by L. J. Epps (https://www.ljeppsauthor.com/index.html). Ms. Epps has published four novels. This is the first of her "Extinction of All Children" series.

I categorize this novel as "G". The story is set near the year 2100 in the American southwest. The primary character is 18-year-old Emma Whisperer, the last child born in Territory L.

The three territories of L, M, and U are part of Craigluy. The people of Craigluy are divided by their economic status and have been sent to the "Low", "Middle" and "Upper" territories. After President Esther took office in Craigluy she outlawed further children in the poorer L territory. The people are controlled by President Esther and her elite guards.

Emma hates that she is the last child born. Many resent her. If a child is born it is taken away from the parents and killed. Emma and her family are hiding her older sister and her newborn. When Emma is selected to make a speech to the populace, she takes the opportunity to speak out against President Esther. That puts Emma and her family at further risk.

Will Emma be able to survive? Will her sister and niece stay hidden?

I thought that the 6.5 hours I spent reading this 250-page young adult novel were interesting. I thought that the plot was unique, but there was never much of an explanation as to what had happened to create Craigluy. I have read and enjoyed many young adult novels. While the characters in this story are 18 or older, the book feels to be targeted a much younger audience. The situations and problems do not feel very mature. I am not a fan of the selected cover art. I give this novel a 3 out of 5.
This was a very dark and it was a lot like The Hunger Games. I thought this wasn't as relatable and I didn't like the characters that much.
Emma was the last child born who was allowed to live in this dystopian sci fi series. The world is divided into three territories of the poor, middle class and the rich. The president has been a life long one and Emma knows there is something wrong with this world. She sets out to change this after discovering some horrible things about the world she lives in .I really enjoyed the world building and the head strong character. With the way the book left off it really left me ready to see what direction the next book will go.
Extinction of All Children is a fascinating tale of the dystopian future.
Emma Whisperer lives In a world where people are dived into three territories based on economic wealth. Territory L is the poor and children are illegal here. The president see this as a better choice for children that would just die of starvation and neglect. Emma sees it differently; she sees freedom of choice being yanked from people. But this isn't the reason Emma isn't a tough situation; she was the last child that was let to live. Now that she is 18, the President has a  special plan for her but Emma will have none of it.
At first glance, the idea seems dumb. How would the world work in a world where there are no children? But LJ Epps has created a whole world and politics that solves even the biggest issues with the idea. Emma's world and its three territories is just a smaller piece of a larger whole and it will be interested to see how the different levels are and how/if their world affects the world at large.
Some of the middle of the story seems to contradict the rules set previously. This is the section that is overly saccharine. The guards, with eth exception of one, are all too nice to her. But the book picks up again and a new daring plan is created; a plan I most want to read because the twist is pretty neat.
Overall, the novel is thought provoking. Even though it sags in the middle, this adventure is addicting.
Title: Extinction of All Children
Series: Extinction Of All Children #1
Author:L.J.Epps
Genre: dystopian
Pages: 231
Publishers
Published
 Rating:3.5
A young adult, fantasy novel about a teenager who is the last eighteen-year-old in her territory. There will never be another child; every baby born after her has been taken away. Everyone wonders why she survived.

Emma Whisperer was born in 2080, in the small futuristic world of Craigluy. President Esther, in charge for the last twenty-two years, has divided their world into three territories, separated by classes—the rich, the working class, and the poor—because she believes the poor should not mingle with the others. And, the poor are no longer allowed to have children, since they do not have the means to take care of them.
Any babies born, accidentally or willfully, are killed. Emma is the last eighteen-year-old in her territory; every baby born after her has died. Somehow, she survived this fate.
During the president’s Monday night speech, she announces a party will be held to honor the last child in the territory, Emma Whisperer. Emma must read a speech, expressing how happy she is to be the last eighteen-year-old.
Emma doesn’t like the rules; she doesn’t believe in them. So, she feels she must rebel against them. Her family doesn’t agree with her rebellion, since they are hiding a big secret. If this secret gets out, it will be disastrous, and deadly, for her family.
During Emma’s journey, she meets—and becomes friends with—Eric. He is one of the guards for the president. She also befriends Samuel, another guard for the president, who is summoned to watch over her. As Emma meets new people, she doesn’t know who she can trust. Yet, she finds herself falling for a guy, something which has never happened before.
After doing what she feels is right, Emma finds herself in imminent danger. In the end, she must make one gut-wrenching decision, a decision that may be disastrous for them all.

My thoughts
Would I recommend it ? yes
Will I continue on with the series ?yes
Will I read more by this author? Maybe
If you liked the  Divergent trilogy then this might be up your alley , since just as in the  Divergent trilogy ,this one is also a dystopian and there are three different territories - which are separated by classes- the rich, the working class and the poor , in which case our main character Emma which is part of ,but the only thing wrong with that picture is there are no children born after her at all.While I did like it ,there was times it did in fact remind me of the Divergent series , which I actually tried to read and decided that it wasn't for me , but this one kind of surprised me and I'm glad I decided to give it ago, one of the things I liked about was the interaction between Emma, Eric and Samuel as well as the interaction between Emma and her brother , and seen them come to live , i do have to say that if you have any triggers then this series might not be for you because it does deal with abuse, death, imprisonment, murder, infanticide , torture, violence and other topics that might be hard to read about, with that said I want to thank Netgalley for letting me read and review it exchange for my honest opinion and I will be going on to read books 2&3 since I have them as well.
This book had captivated me from the first moment I opened it and started reading. And then fell kind of flat. I ended up having to force myself through further and further. Hopefully, the second and third books are better.

I received this eBook from Netgalley free for exchange for a review.
If you are into YA and sci-fi, the “Extinction of All Children” trilogy by L.J. Epps is worth into looking into. Set in a planet called Craigluy, the titular first book introduces readers to a dystopian world where the population is divided into three groups - the rich, the working class and the poor.

But while the rich and working class are allowed to have children, the poor are prohibited to have them because they do not have the means to take care of them. If by accident a poor family procreates, the child is taken away or worst, killed.

It is in this scenario that Emma Whisperer was born. Born to poor parents, she was the last 18-year old in their territory. Rebelling against the authorities of their whole planet, Emma found herself fighting her battles alone, or was she?
The storyline itself was a really intriguing concept, and the execution of it was done well. The writing was smooth and kept a steady cadence of action and character development. I also thought Emma was a great protagonist.
I’m really not sure how to go about this review. On the one hand, the story was interesting. I enjoyed the plot and I loved the main character, Emma’s, personality. She was relatable. She reminded me a lot of myself; determined to do what’s right while trying to protect her family. On the other hand the writing wasn’t the greatest. There was a lot of repetitiveness and unnecessary description. Conversations felt stunted and unnatural and it was very hard for me to get into the story and through chapters.

In all honesty, my issues with the writing style may just be my own. I read through a few other reviews before starting this one, and I didn’t see anyone else writing about a similar issue. I’m going to wait a little while before diving into the sequels, to see if the issues I have with the writing, are really just my own personal preferences.

All in all, Extinction of All Children gets 3.5 stars from me! The story was interesting and page-turning, with the writing style being the only hindrance.
A good quick read which is a little reminiscent of Hinger Games. Although it was a little slow to start I found that it picked up a nice pace mid way through. I am I terested to read the rest of the trilogy.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an advance copy of this title in exchange for an unbiased review.
This is a decent start to a trilogy. It has quite a few of the typical YA dystopian tropes. The main character sticks up for what she believes in and finds herself learning that there is more to the oppressive government that she lives in than she knows. The story follows Emma Whisperer, the last child to be born and live to turn 18. Emma lives in Territory L, which is where the poor live, and no one is permitted to have children because the President determined poor people cannot afford to take care of children. If you break the law you are jailed and your baby is killed after birth. Emma is not a supporter of many of the President's laws and doesn't understand why the people have put up with the President for so long when democracy used to rule in the past. Emma is honored at a ball and when she is given an opportunity to give a speech, she says what is on her mind instead of the propaganda President wants her to say. For her disobedience, Emma is jailed for 30 days and during her sentence she learns why her family has be so oppressed, why the laws are so strict, and makes some friends and enemies during her stay. The President gives her an ultimatum to end her jail time, become a guard and take back her traitorous words or stay in jail for standing up for what is right. Emma has more than befriended one of the guards and they decide that if Emma becomes a guard, they can fight for what is right from the inside. When they learn the President wants to make a fool of Emma and hurt her family, they decide to run for one of the other territories. The book ends with a bit of a cliffhanger but it isn't too terrible.

I found this fairly predictable and that the characters lacked development. Emma wants to go up against the President but she has no idea what she stands for and she never thinks things through. I'm all for a character making decisions in the heat of the moment, but Emma is portrayed as kind of a dumb, immature girl who keeps making bad decisions and doesn't think about the impact to her family or anyone else until someone points them out to her. Then she has guilt about what she's done or is going to do after the fact. I hope that in the next two books she grows as a character and if she is going to be the leader of some sort of revolution she grows up and starts thinking things through just a bit. I also couldn't get into the love triangle, it felt awkward. The writing was a bit redundant and repetitive at times.

Overall this was OK. I have the other two books in the series and I liked it enough to continue on with the series.
I was so pleasantly surprised. I liked the description of the book, but the title was a little "not so" interesting. I decided to give it a try based on the description and I'm truly glad I did. I really enjoy a good dystopian and I hadn't read a one in a while. This one fit the bill. I connected with Emma right away and can't wait to see how her story continues. Dystopians always come with a little unbelievability, but this one didn't go completely off the rails and it was fast moving to really keep my interest. Just to forewarn though, it is a cliffhanger. I'm so glad I also received the other 2 books from NetGalley and I will definitely be reading and reviewing them shortly.
Extinction of All Children bears some resemblance to The Hunger Games - a “district” that is oppressed, in this case by not allowing its residents to have children; a rebellious heroine; an incipient love triangle, present tense narration (which I am decidedly not fond of but which seems to be a continuing trend) - but is different enough that it doesn’t feel like a ripoff to me. Emma Whisperer is the last child born in Territory L, the lowest of three territories in the nation of Craigluy based on class, and she is turning 18. Before she was born, the president (a president for life, so actually a dictator), decided that the lower classes would no longer be allowed to have children whom (in her view) they could not care for. If a woman is found to be pregnant she is imprisoned and forced to carry the child to term, after which it is supposedly killed. The outspoken Emma is invited to a celebration of her birthday where she is expected to read a prepared speech praising the president but uses her moment in the spotlight to speak passionately against the policy, whereupon she is imprisoned in the presidential residence for 30 days. Before her term ends, she is forced to make what seems to her an impossible choice, which later turns into a plan to help bring down the hateful system.

While I did like Emma and I assume that the reasons for the president’s inexplicable favoritism towards her will be revealed at some point (I don’t think her previous friendship with Emma’s parents is a good enough reason and I have a guess, but only time will tell if it’s right), I had some problems with the book.

1) The worldbuilding seemed to be cursory at best. Craigluy is supposed to be located between California and Arizona, so is presumably carved out of pieces of both, but there is no explanation for its existence or indeed, whether or not the US even still exists, only 60 years from the present. There is a reference to the seasons being “messed up,” so presumably climate change has had an effect, but technology and infrastructure seem to be intact. Virtually no people make more than a brief appearance besides Emma’s family and the people in the presidential residence (mostly guards), so I could not really get a feel for the society. One of the things that flummoxed me the most was that “free birth control” is handed out to the residents of Territory L - they never specify as far as I can remember, but I would assume it would be pills and possibly condoms - but even now there are implants available that last for months, as well as IUDs. Surely they would be at least that well equipped in 2080.

2) In my opinion, “President Esther” has to be one of the most incompetent dictators in fiction, or possibly ever, and I’m surprised she has stayed in power for what seems to be over 20 years. She seems to spend an awful lot of time - if she doesn’t actually live there - in the territory with the reason to hate her the most, as well as allowing people from that territory to be her guards with what seems like minimal screening - armed and trained in deadly force, and in her presence almost constantly. She has no surveillance in at least her short-term jail, which is located in her residence. She appears to have very little surveillance within the residence itself, so her prisoners, if left alone by their guards, can pretty much wander around at will. Finally, while she has built walls (shades of 2019 America) between the territories which appear to work far better than any walls in the real world, vehicles are allowed to cross from one to another without being searched.

Despite these flaws, it did interest me enough that I intend to (at some point) check out the second book in the series to see what happens and if any of the things that bothered me are addressed. I would also acknowledge that the target audience for this series (YA) might not find these things a problem.

I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I wasn't sure what to expect when I received this book, but I suddenly found myself half way through it and hanging on every word! I can't even envision a word that would kill babies after they are born to punish the parents for having them. Oh, and senseless slaughter of animals....just horrible. So much injustice...  I am so glad I was permitted to read it. And now I have learned that is the first in a series. My summer is now perfect. I have to buy the set and see how it all pans out. Great YA book!
The last child ever has turned 18. Babies are illegal and any child born will be exterminated. The problem?  People are too poor and the poor aren’t allowed to breed.

This dystopian novel follows the last child who was allowed to live as she explores what being the last child means. We learn quickly that she’s covering for her sister who had a baby and is in hiding. We then follow as she rebels against the government to stand up for humanity.

It’s a good quick read. Not the best character development, and the story is pretty surface level, but still worth the read. First in a series.
Loved this book!! Kept my attention and was full of intrigue and action right from the beginning. The writing seemed choppy at times, but it wasn’t terrible and the book definitely has great potential. I can’t wait to get the other books in the series!
This is the first book by L.J Epps that I have read, and I must say I really enjoyed the read. It was a little slow to start, but I kept reading and while I was reminded of . Hunger Games and some other dystopian at times it did lure me in and I was hooked until I finished the book.