Grace, Not Perfection

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This book was a quick read and was full of practical advice. Maybe it's because I've read many similar books but I did not glean a whole lot from this book but think many busy moms could benefit from reading this book. The book has beautiful pictures which I enjoyed. It is mostly geared towards working moms and as a stay at home mom, there was not much I could relate to.
I couldn't get into this book, no matter how many times I tried. Maybe because I'm not as religious or I live a different kind of life? I don't know. Truth is that it didn't engage me and I'm sorry about that, because I truly wanted to enjoy this book.
I received the Emily Ley book "Grace, Not Perfection" from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I actually went out and bought two copies of this book halfway through my reading of the ebook - one for me, and one for a friend.  The actual physical book is SO beautiful and aesthetically pleasing!!!  The pictures, the colors, the pages, everything is go beautiful and I LOVE it.  I will most likely buy this one for more women as gifts in the future.  I love how Emily is so honest about her own experiences in her life - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I love how she gives easy and practical advice on how she does things in her own life - in her family, her home, etc.  I can't say enough good things about this one!
I do a lot of book reviews for books that I like, but I simply loved this one. Mrs. Ley’s writing style made me feel as if I was over for coffee with a great friend. She spoke many truths in this book and based her advice on the Bible. Even when reading just the two page intro to part one, I felt the need to reach for a highlighter to remember quotes for later. I like that the book is interactive by asking questions and providing space to respond to these questions. I also love the fact that practical ideas are presented to help with the issues at hand, not just the author extolling lofty theories that sound good, but are often hard to put in practice in the real world. I plan to put several of her suggestions into place. I’ll just change the day of the week that I do them since I like to keep Sunday as a total rest day. The book itself is styled well, with a clean, modern feel complete with beautiful fonts. I’d definitely recommend this to women. By using Biblical principles, this book can help us to embrace more grace in our lives whether it be accepting more grace or giving it.

I received an advance reading copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not obligated to write a positive review.
I need this book! I need to remember that not everything in my life has to be perfect! I am horrible and trying to make every little thing perfect but i need to remember to have grace. This was packed with information and tips on how to have a more organized life! I am horrible at organization and a took all the tips to heart!
This book is a thoughtful and honest story geared toward other Christian moms.  For any mom struggling with wanting to do everything perfectly, this book will give you permission to exist rather than more pressure to over perform.

Note: this book is heavily focused on being a mom.  I wish I had realized that before picking it up because I am not a mom, nor will I be in the foreseeable future.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Emily Lee is the epitome of Grace and Perfection. If you look at her YouTube videos and see her immaculate wardrobe, house, and office space and you will see. She is on top of it and I love it. I love the fact that her office is put together and neat, much like the right rest of her life. In this book she tells how to strive for that perfect balance. Well not really balance because instead of perfection you’ll be looking for Grace. This book has inspired me to not give up and keep pushing forward to the next step. Even if I do fail I should do so Gracefully and then try again. If you have an area in your life that can use a serious jolt themtry this #GraceNotPerfection #EmilyLet #NetGalley
Emily Ley is such a great writer. I love that she really drives home simplifying our lives and letting go of guilt. It's especially a great book for overwhelmed moms.
Grace, Not Perfection is one of my all-time favorites! Emily Ley is inspiring, informative, and totally encouraging for everyday life. Highly recommend to EVERY SINGLE WOMAN OUT THERE.
At a point in my life where I have no energy to go on, no support, and no idea on what to do other than the basic robotic tasks in life, I desperately needed this book. It wasn't one I was expecting to read first but I decided to go with it and ended up getting a little bit back into my glass that day. Just one drop, but it was a start.

The words themselves are incredibly simple yet exactly what we all need. I can't tell you how nice it feels to even just read from a stranger that it is "OKAY". Literally, just okay. Things will go on and will get done in  their own time. It is okay to not be superhuman, which is a struggle I'm sure we all have.

This book was meaningful on many levels because I happen to have a robotic co-worker who seems to be the epitome of "finishing everything in a flash", which really makes me feel inferior, incapable and undervalue for my own abilities and contributions. I don't know how to do for myself but continuously get told that I need to focus on me. Well?How?

The structure of the book was perfect for me, I'm just sad my copy is digital and I'll have to transpose this into something I can use. The writing prompts and lists in general is how my brain is wired: Do these 5 things, cross them off, feel satisfaction, know things are done, gather thoughts, let go, breathe.

The only real issue I have with this is that I'm not religious and I do not buy into "giving myself to God". Which is fine if the writer does but it almost became extremely preachy. It was off-putting. The amount of times it mentioned the Lord was enough to pull me out of the positive place I was starting to arrive at and to pull me back into... really?? land.

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book! I wish you all the success and I hope people find this as enriching as I did!
This is such a well written book.. Its an easy read but deff more for mommies. As a christian i relate and picked up a few things and as a caregiver but if I had my own kids it would have been a lot better and I will deff save this one.
If you’re like me, you wear many hats….woman, wife, mom, co-worker, sister, daughter, friend, homemaker, believer, volunteer, homeschooler, chauffeur, etc.  It’s easy to feel like we have plates spinning on poles and we have to keep running around to keep them all spinning so they won’t stop and fall.  When things are so chaotic, it’s hard to do everything well….or sometimes anything well.  This book is written for people who desire a simpler life.  It talks about changing our expectations….to extend grace to ourselves and others instead of expecting perfection….to “embrace quality of life over quantity of commitments” (location 226).
This book has lots of practical help to make meal planning easier, to create a weekly schedule,  to declutter, etc.  While this was good, what I appreciated most was the reminder that our need to be in control breeds anxiety.  Ley stated, “I am constantly picking up, confident that a clean house equals a happy home.  But so often, that’s not the case.  I’m slowly learning that my happiest, most special moments happen when the circus is at its peak” (location 571).  I can relate to that.  I’m also aware that the circus in my home won’t last forever and I’d be wise to enjoy it to the fullest.
This book breathes grace and encouragement over weary souls.  Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing me with a free e-copy of this book.  I was not required to leave a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
This is self-help book about the importance of letting go, saying no and enjoying the moment. Also it is a religious self-help book. (I didn't know that when I got this from NetGalley but I didn't mind).

In this book Emily Ley simply tell us what she learnt from being a wife, a mother and an owner of a small business. It was all nice but I couldn't connect with her, most of her advises are to new young mothers like herself, so I think the title was a bit misleading.

I liked how honest and transparent she was when she told her story of being pregnant with her son Brady, I loved how she embraced that story and realized that we as human can't control everything and that we sometimes just have to let go.

"Brady has been a perfectly healthy, very tall little boy his entire life. No one can explain the anomalies of his ultrasounds. Except me. Enormous things changed in my heart during the nine months I was pregnant. I was broken down and built together again into a new woman."

Would I recommend this to anyone? Honestly no, or maybe to new young moms who are struggling and are a bit religious they would probably connect with book.
I read most of this and enjoyed it! Keep up the good work!
Great read that embraces grace over perfection and reiterating that perfection doesn't exist. This was a quick and easy read with a lot of great tips for women, especially those who are trying to figure out how to balance everything in their lives, but balance doesn't really exist either. She tells us that we need to give ourselves grace and be content with wherever we are in our lives during whatever season we are in. She also reminds us that life is made up of different seasons and each one won't last forever, so embrace it while you're in it. I know that is easier said than done, but still seems like good advice. She talks about so much stuff in this book from simplifying your time, space, and life, to following your calling whatever it may be. Definitely recommend for anyone interested in living a slower content simplified life, who wants to embrace real life and step away from chasing the fantasy of perfection.
Thank you to NetGalley, Emily Ley, and Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review Grace, Not Perfection. I've actually read this book twice: once via NetGalley, and once by listening to it on Audible. I love Emily as a businesswoman and this book lived up to the hype around it. I will say though, that as a woman who is NOT religious, I was surprised that I didn't find this book to be overly preachy. All in all, I really enjoyed Grace, Not Perfection. 5/5
I really loved this book. It was helpful and insightful, but didn't come off preachy or redundant. I'm considering buying a physical copy for my bookshelf --something I don't do often!
This is a workbook-style book that has anecdotes, plans, lists, and tips for organization, self-care, and religious reflections. Well-written and organized, with lists and lovely photos.
I almost quit reading a couple of pages in and now, that I'm at the end, I cannot believe what a gem I would have missed out on. Grace, Not Perfection isn't full of revolutionary ideas on simplicity or giving yourself grace. It does, however, provide great reminders to help you in the trenches of everyday life. I finished this book feeling uplifted and inspired. I finished wanting to reevaluate my days and my priorities to put those things that I love the most at the top of my list. This is a great book full of the reminders that we all need to hear on a daily basis. I can hardly wait to check out Ley's upcoming novel and will be looking to add a physical copy of this to my shelves.
Interesting read. Had some good tips and advice, the author did a great job outlining her topic.