Hungry Ghosts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Mar 2017

In the huge world of urban fantasy, Eric Carter stands out. Where Jim Butcher's Dresden is full of humor and goodwill, Eric is often cruel, and when Kevin Hearne's Atticus shows a drive to make the world a better place, Eric is hellbent on revenge at any cost. Despite our hero being kind of a bad guy, I couldn't help but hope he succeeded.

Departing from books one and two, Hungry Ghosts takes place entirely in Mexico. In a very tight spot involving Santa Muerte following the events of books one and two, Eric hunts down the one woman who knows how he can get his revenge on Santa Muerte and her husband.

The story wraps up nicely, but there is still enough unresolved conflict to hint at the possibility of book four.

I'll now spend the next several months obsessively checking Stephen Blackmoore's website for any updates.
review posted in my ongoing review post for this series: http://fangfiction.blogspot.com/2013/02/stephen-blackmoore-dead-things.html
This ongoing post was revised and updated on 3/3/17 to include a review of Hungry Ghosts, the fourth novel in the series. That review appears first, followed by an overview of the  world-building and reviews of the stand-alone prequel novel and the first two Eric Carter novels.

FAIR WARNING! This review contains spoilers for
         Dead Things and Broken Souls.
            NOVEL 4:  Hungry Ghosts
PUBLISHER'S BLURB:
     Stephen Blackmoore's dark urban fantasy series follows necromancer Eric Carter through a world of vengeful gods and goddesses, mysterious murders, and restless ghosts.

Necromancer Eric Carter's problems keep getting bigger. Bad enough he's the unwilling husband to the patron saint of death, Santa Muerte, but now her ex-husband, the Aztec King of the dead, Mictlantecuhtli, has come back—and it turns out that Carter and he are swapping places. As Mictlantecuhtli breaks loose of his prison of jade, Carter is slowly turning to stone.

To make matters worse, both gods are trying to get Carter to assassinate the other. But only one of them can be telling him the truth and he can't trust either one. Carter's solution? Kill them both.

If he wants to get out of this situation with his soul intact, he'll have to go to Mictlan, the Aztec land of the dead, and take down a couple of death gods while facing down the worst trials the place has to offer him: his own sins.

MY REVIEW:
     The plot continues the story line from Broken Souls in which Eric is caught in the middle between the two primary Aztec death deities: Santa Muerte (aka Mictecacihuatl), the death goddess, and her ex-husband, Mictlantecuhtli.

Back in Dead Things, Santa Muerte tricked Eric into marrying her in exchange for doing him a big favor. In Broken Souls, Eric learned the truth about the consequences of his rash decision to marry his powers with those of Santa Muerte: “Mictlantecuhtli is the King of Mictlan [Aztec land of the dead] and since I’m married to Mictecacihuatl I’m the King of Mictlan—he and I are trading places. I’m getting access to his power. But I’m also slowly becoming jade, the stone replacing my flesh like petrified wood. He’s slowly becoming…whatever it is Aztec death gods count as flesh…The last time I saw him I was just beginning to change and he was still stuck in his tomb in Mictlan. Now a good forty percent of my body is green stone, flexible, movable, but stone, nevertheless.”  Santa Muerte and Mictlantecuhtli are each urging Eric to kill the other, but Eric has decided that they both must be destroyed—no matter the consequences. Santa Muerte deserves to die because she tortured and killed Eric’s innocent sister, and Mictlantecuhtli has to go so that Eric’s body turns back into human flesh.

As if turning into a jade statue isn’t enough, Eric faces several additional problems:

1. Eric’s old friend, Tabitha Cheung, has been Santa Muerte’s avatar for several years, although she failed to admit that to Eric in Broken Souls. Tabitha has basically been playing Eric, pretending to be his friend while working on the side of Santa Muerte. As Eric describes the situation, Tabitha “has a chunk of Santa Muerte in her soul, and I wasn’t entirely sure she had any of her own.” This means that the death goddess has access to Tabitha’s mind, body, and will. Now that Eric knows the truth, he is hunting Tabitha down, planning to force her to take him through a portal to Mictlan so that he can kill Mictlantecuhtli. He’s hoping that will stop the jade from spreading throughout his body. Then he plans to kill both Tabitha and her mistress. As Eric and Tabitha travel together to Mictlan, Eric begins to wonder if Tabitha might have more control over her soul than he originally believed, so his once ardent desire for her death gradually becomes more ambiguous.

2. In exchange for a favor in Dead Things, Eric promised the god Quetzalcoatl that he would burn down Mictlan. Quetzalcoatl is tired of waiting for Eric to get the job done, so he steps into the story several times to express his displeasure. Finally, he sends a monstrous creature into Mictlan to knock some sense into Eric just as he’s trying to figure out just how to carry out his plan to kill the two deities.

3. Meanwhile, after Eric’s friend, Alex, was possessed by a demon (in Dead Things), Alex’s voice somehow began to speak to Eric inside his head. Now, Alex keeps showing up as a full-body hallucination, making snarky comments and urging Eric to make some really bad decisions, all the while transmitting information about Eric’s thoughts and actions back to Mictlantecuhtli.

The predictable plot basically follows Eric as he finds Tabitha and heads for Mictlan, pursued by human and supernatural enemies every step of the way. Even though Eric knows that he can’t trust anyone, when he learns of the biggest betrayal of them all, he is taken completely by surprise. Luckily, Eric gets some help from an old acquaintance, but unfortunately, that assistance feels like an all-too-convenient deus ex machina. By the end of the story, Eric manages to survive (barely) and to solve some—but perhaps not all—of his Aztec death-deity problems.

Although Eric Carter started out as an interesting character, Blackmoore has not allowed him to develop. Eric continues to make one bad decision after another, always needing to be rescued from his own mistakes. In this novel, he is never in control, and he never uses his necromancer powers at all. Yes, he uses some magic here and there (mostly spells and wards), but some stronger supernatural creature always pops up just in time to save him when the going gets particularly tough. And also, why does Eric rely so heavily on human-made firearms when he is supposed to have such bad-ass magical powers? Based on Eric’s introduction in Dead Things, I expected more. I have read some reviews that compare Eric to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, but that’s completely off track. Harry hones his magic, studies his enemies, and mostly fights his own battles—none of which Eric does in this novel, even though this is his third appearance. He is still the same clueless wretch that he was back in Dead Things.

As for the mythology, I have the same criticism of this novel as I had of Broken Souls. The Aztec mythology—with all of its lengthy god names and historical references—frequently slows the movement of the action down to a stumbling trudge. Particularly confusing (for me) was the fact that early in the book, Blackmoore stopped referring to the death goddess as Santa Muerte and began using her ancient name, Mictecacihuatl, which—when you are skimming along at a fast clip—is easy to mistake for Mictlantecuhtli, her ex-husband’s name. I can’t tell you how many times I had to stop and double-check the spelling in order to figure out who was speaking or acting out. Why not just keep calling her Santa Muerte to make it easier on the reader?

I recommend that you do not read Hungry Ghosts until after you have read Dead Things and Broken Souls. Otherwise, you will not comprehend the meaning of the frequent references to characters and past events from the earlier books. Click HERE to go to this novel's Amazon.com page where you can read an excerpt by clicking on the cover art.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My review of Hungry Ghosts is based on an electronic advance reading copy (ARC) of the book that I received from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I received no promotional or monetary rewards, and the opinions in this review are entirely my own.

UPATE posting on 3/3/2017: UPDATE!
I have just updated an ongoing post for Stephen Blackmoore's ERIC CARTER SERIES (aka CITY OF LOST SOULS SERIES) by adding a review of Hungry Ghosts, the fourth novel.

Click on the pink-link series title above to go directly to the new review.
I’ll be honest I didn’t start reading Stephen Blackmoore’s Eric Carter series when it first came out. I had heard positive praise from authors I like about it, but didn’t actually manage to pick up a copy of Dead things, the first book in the Eric Carter series, until about a year ago.

Let me tell you, I’m glad that I did.

Blackmoore has created a fascinating and engaging series filled with action, mayhem and a fun take on urban fantasy. If you are looking for a comparison of known urban fantasy authors to compare this series to Eric Carter is somewhat like a mix between Richard Kadrey’s Sandman Slim series and Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files. It’s darker than the Dresden Files, but not quite as macabre filled as Sandman Slim, therefore this series may not be for everyone but if you can handle a bit more ghoulish killing in your action (well done, of course) then this could be the series for you.

As for Hungry Ghosts itself, I highly recommend reading the first two books in the series, Dead Things and Broken Souls before reading Hungry Ghosts, but once you do you’ll be very happy with the experience. The entire premise of the Hungry Ghosts is based on the previous two books in the series (hence it being a series), so please do not read these books out of order.

So, if you like urban fantasy and you’re ok with your magic a bit on the darker side of things then here comes the real question, why should you waste your precious free time reading this book. Well, first and foremost, Blackmoore is truly impressive in his action scene writing and he does not scrimp on them. Carter is always in some sort of gun fight, ghost fight, god fight, or just plain getting his butt whooped on (a bit like Harry Dresden if you will). Of course, one thing different from Dresden is the style of magic, since Carter is a necromancer, there’s a lot of death related to his magic, not only that but it really does seem that the magically enhanced folks seem to have a bit of a society that isn’t on the good side of Santa’s present list. Therefore, magic seems to be a lot more pain related, scars, blood, tattoos, things of that nature. If I didn’t lose you there then I have a strong feeling this will be the book for you.

On top of that, Eric is a strong likable protagonist (of course I personally like his old/dead best friend Alex best, his snark is certainly appreciated by me if not by Eric). Hungry Ghost deals a lot in Eric’s growth and acceptance in his part in the deaths in his family. Blackmoore does a good job showing the pain and depression that his parents and sister’s deaths have caused in him and how these events have shaped him into the character we see today. On top of that, these revelations lead to a bit of awareness that will help fill out Eric’s character more in further books.

Speaking of further books, while I would very much like to read more about Eric Carter and his world I’m genuinely curious about whether there will be more books in the series and if so where the story will go from here. Blackmoore has tied off a number of the storylines that have been driving Eric over the last three books, however, he does keep enough mystery alive that if there were more books Blackmoore could expand on this mystery treating the new books as a new chapter in Eric’s saga.

All in all, I very much recommend this to anyone who enjoys Mike Carey, Richard Kadrey and Jim Butcher, and I do hope there are more books in the Eric Carter series. It was an action packed, entertaining quick read.
Continuing not long from where things left off from the second book in the 'Eric Carter' series, Eric's road to ridding himself of his "wife" and her ex takes us on a progressively crazier and crazier ride. Where the other books took place primarily in the Los Angeles area, this one takes us out of the country, and even out of this world.

One of the things I love about this series is Eric Carter himself. He's such a flawed character that I find him endearing. He's rough around the edges. He's quick to react, leading him to potentially deadly consequences. He has a history of cowardice, but through this series we're watching his transformation, his maturity, his growth as a person in not only bravery, but responsibility to more than just himself. He has become part of a larger picture that he has avoided for so long. He's also funny, with this great humor that, combined with his determination and focus, makes him such an engaging narrator.

Now, this book in particular seemed heavier in folklore and Aztec myth and info, which, to be honest, was overwhelming after a bit. So for that, this wasn't my favorite of the series. BUT, there were so many incredible twists and turns that I was completely hooked. I really had no clue how things were going to turn out for Eric and the other characters. And then when that climax hit towards the end, I was floored. What a ride! I can't wait to see how this series continues, because I never know what to expect, except that it's always great.
**This book was reviewed via Netgalley**

Hungry Ghosts is third in S Blackmoore's Eric Carter series. Our opening finds Eric cutting a swath through Mexico, looking for Tabitha, erstwhile ally & sometimes foe. A zigzag of connect the dots puts him back in Mexico City, in the heart of Santa Muerte worship.

From Mexico City, Eric, Tabitha in tow, heads into Mictlan with the goal of settling his differences with Mictlantecuhtli. Once in Mictlan, Eric faces many of the trials the dead themselves do. Along the way, he meets an old enemy, one eager to make use of Eric's particular gifts. To make matters worse, using magic in Mictlan is changing Eric faster than he'd like. Eric’s in a desperate race to find Santa Muerte and Mictlantecuhtli before time runs out.

Okay, so, all three books together tell the story of the awesome spiritual alchemy transformation that Eric is undergoing. In the first, the death of his sister is the Calcination event, stirring his rage. By the end of Hungry Ghosts he has reached the Putrefaction/Fermentation stages This is the 'dark night of the soul’ so often thought as the lowest point in a person's life. It is the death of one state of being and the chrysalis to the next, where all that you have learned of yourself through the previous alchemic stages work their potent changes. You will not be the same when you emerge. Being in Mictlan, one of the lands of the dead, and equipped with a unique power, he gets the extra 'privilege’ of experiencing the trials of the dead, aiding his alchemic transmutation.

This book was by far my most favourite. It was very focused and driven. I enjoyed the tour of Mictlan. I'm not as up on Aztec mythology, so these books have been enlightening for me in that respect. I do so hope Eric gets to travel to Xibalba in the future, or another less well-known land of the dead.

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻 Highly recommended, especially for fans of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series and Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series.
I have an interesting history with this series.  I read Dead Things way back when it first came out.  I didn't care for it at the time, yet it stuck with me. So, when Graphic Audio developed an abridged audio play of the book, I decided to give it another try. GA did a fantastic job with both Dead Things and Broken Souls. And yet, I am aware they have to abridge the book, which makes me wonder what I missed.

So, when Hungry Ghosts came out, I decided I needed to read—not listen to—Dead Things and Broken Souls before I could read book 3.  This time, I thought they were fabulous. This is a perfect example of how subjective the "business" of book reviewing is. :)

Hungry Ghosts was more than fabulous. It's the culmination of events in the first two books, and the ending wasn't something I foresaw at all. In hindsight, it feels as if it should have been obvious, but then, things usually do in hindsight. Hungry Ghosts finishes the major story arc, so I'm interested to see what will come next for Eric. Hopefully, we'll get a book about the fallout of everything that happens in Hungry Ghosts.

On the "yay for academics" front, Hungry Ghosts sent me on a short hunt for information about the Aztec pantheon and pronunciation of Aztec names. I did find a pronunciation guide and list of some person and place names. I practiced saying a lot of the names, and that was fun, but I still ended up calling the two Aztec gods Mickey and Mikey in my head. ;)

So, here's another series I love. This one is gritty and tragic with very little in the way of happy endings, but so very good. I highly recommend it.
This is the first book I've read by the author but it was fantastic. Number three in the Eric Carter series I was really impressed with the cast, the world and everything that Blackmoore created.

I'm actually really antsy to read the previous books in this series because I want to know everything.

There is so much going on, so much packed into this book that its hard to take it all in.

I know I'm missing a large chunk of what took place in the previous installments but it was easy enough to follow without having done so and to my giddy pleasure there was enough here to completely enthrall me.

I think Blackmoore will be a new favorite. I can't wait to read more.
This is an urban fantasy, no sex, drug usage and plenty of graphic language.  There are ghosts, monsters and a lot of manipulation by gods.  There are unpronounceable names and places and incredibly impossible situations that miraculously turn out just fine.  Well, fine enough, anyway. Sort of fine.  Ok, not dead and that's all we can hope for.

This protagonist has a sarcasm streak a mile wide and I love it.  He stumbles through problem after problem and all without a plan.  He goes with the flow and hopes for the best.  He is manipulated, beat up, shot at, magicked and he still keeps going.  Energizer bunny has nothing on Eric Carter.

Now the ending isn't exactly clear cut, so us fans are assured of another book, which is fantastic.  I can't really tell you much was revealed in this book, but it was a twisty ride up and down, down and around until Eric run out of ground at the edge of town of Mictlan.  Who are his friends?  Not who he thought.  Who are his enemies? That's an unknown too.  Everyone has their own agenda, even Eric, though his changes from moment to moment.

This is an incredible series and it needs to be started with book #1, Dead Things.  The GraphicAudio takes Eric's world and makes it come to life with sound effects and different voices - kind of like a movie.  If reading a book is more your style, I've done that too.  Either road you take is not a mistake.  This is a book for the...um...well...books. ;)
I dont think I have ever read a story quite like Hungry Ghosts before when I read the synopsis I was really interested to know more a bout the story .When I got the chance to read it early I was thrilled and I dived into this story as soon as I could and It was fantastic. In Hungry Ghost we follow Eric Carter and let me just tell you we go on wild adventure with him . I found the world that Stephan Blackmoore created to be absolutely fascinating. The necromancy , the gods everything was just fascinating and made me want to know more and more even when things got a little creepy in the story lol. There was so much that happening in this book and this book is not long .Every page had something new that I was eager to find out . This was thrilling , scary at times ,fascinating and unique story filled with lots of unexpected humor. If you are looking for some heart pounding urban fantasy story you should defiantly pick up this book
I really dug that this book took place in Mexico and that there were many Aztec gods and goddesses that are either a part of the story or referenced. Really fascinating! I am no expert in the Aztec culture or history but I felt that everything was represented in a realistic fashion. Mr. Blackmoore did a wonderful job in researching and it shows in his characters and urban development. I could vividly see everything that I was intended to. Job well done!

The character of Eric Carter reminds me of John Wick but no hugging of puppies. He just does what he has to and moves on, no apologies. In this installment of the series Eric is on the road in an effort to hunt down those responsible for his sister’s death. In the previous book, he was given little choice in a marriage to Santa Muerte and now we learn what she intends for this marriage. There is a connection that has been forged between Eric and Santa Muerte’s previous husband, Mictlantecuhtli. Between Santa Muerte and Mictlantecuhtli, Eric is getting different versions of the same story. He has to figure out what he has to do to end this connection before all is lost.

One of my favorite parts of this story had to do with the Sharpie magic, hilarious! There is plenty of wit to be found in this story but there is also an emotional element between Tabitha and Eric. Tabitha was someone from Eric’s past but she was also an avatar for Santa Muerte. Eric needs to know if there is any part of Tabitha left in the Avatar and more importantly was she a part of his sister’s murder. The scenes between these two characters create a lovely emotional piece that showcase a bit of Eric’s humanity.

The plot is fast-paced, action-packed, and detail driven. It is a dark urban fantasy full of magic, bad guys and justice. The ending was a great wrap-up for the three books but it also leaves some possible threads for another installment. All in all, this story was riveting and kept me completely captivated until the end. I highly recommend!

*Thank you to NetGalley & Berkley Publishing Group for this complimentary copy of Hungry Ghosts*
This book had been scheduled for publication for a while, but Mr. Blackmoore didn’t like how the book initially turned out and decided to redo it from the ground up. I applaud his decision, because this book turned out great! Eric is on the hunt for Tabitha who is Santa Muerte’s avatar. His quest to find her and to do the bidding of not one, not two, but three gods may be the death of him. I really can’t say too much about this book, because much of it will spoil the first two books. I can say that it is well-written, and the descriptions are so very vivid, you feel like you are there in the desert, woods, ruins, etc. with Eric. Many plot lines are brought to a close with this book as Eric comes to terms with many of the demons which haunt him. However, there are some new questions raised which I hope means more books in the series. I did find this book darker than the other ones, but not in a bad way. I still enjoyed it quite a bit as darker doesn’t bother me. If you are a fan of slightly dark urban fantasy, give this book and series a try. You should probably start from the beginning as there is a lot of information given in each book. This book was fantastic! Highly recommend!

Thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for the e-copy of the book. This same review will be posted on both Goodreads and Amazon.
The book follows Eric, who is a necromancer that is trying to avenge his sister's death.
his book feels fresh compared to other dark urban fantasy books, though i havent read the first 2 before this i should have.
Hungry Ghosts is a wonderful addition to the Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore. The book follows Eric, who is a necromancer that is trying to avenge his sister’s death. The basic plot reveals several spoilers for books 1 and 2 in the series, so I will try to gloss over plot details. However, Eric is running ragged because of several factors, and his quest takes him from L.A. down through many parts of Mexico.

The book is very dark and at times violent and bloody. Eric is fighting tenaciously to survive, and has a devil-may-care attitude toward his enemies. However, rest assured that he is fighting for good and enjoy the rocky path that leads him to the climax.

I was fascinated by the weaving of several Aztec (Nahautl) gods and goddesses into the storyline. The names may be long and hard to pronounce, but the personalities of these characters jumped off the page. Most were menacing, and there were several hidden agendas. However, Eric blasts through the story with guns (and magic) blazing, in several instances to severe detriment to his health.

I particularly liked Eric’s interactions with Tabitha. She is a past love interest, and now serves to simultaneously help-yet-perhaps-hinder his goals. Again, avoiding spoilers to previous books, but the tension between Eric and Tabitha is emotional and serves to propel the reader through the storyline.

One highlight is a scene where Eric is forced to confront his past decisions and mistakes. He comes to terms with some of the tumult in his life, and the scene is quite powerful.

The end of the book is almost an epilogue, but serves as a catharsis for three-books-worth of pain, second-guessing, betrayal, mistakes, and loneliness. I greatly enjoyed the book (and the series thus far) and highly recommend it.
I know the Eric Carter series is several books in, but Hungry Ghosts was my first foray into it. I found myself breezing through it and not wanting to put it down. Protagonist Eric Carter is quite the anti-hero. He kills at will when he feels people don't deserve any more chances. In Hungry Ghosts, he takes out a mansion full of cartel members who come back to him in the afterlife. As a necromancer, Carter can move in an out of the worlds of life and death. This time he needs to fix a problem that began earlier. He leaves LA with a curse on him; the Aztec god Mictlantecuhtli has embedded a piece of himself inside Eric; his wife Sante Muerte has done similar to a woman named Tabitha, only she killed Tabitha to create her avatar.

Blackmoore takes the reader on an adventurous journey through the Aztec belief of the underworld explaining that there are afterlives for each religion as long as there are followers. Carter has difficult decisions to make along the entire journey. The more magic he uses, the more he swaps places with the god trapped in jade. Eric's skin become more overtaken by the jade with each new challenge until he's almost gone by the final battle.

Carter has to deal with running into visions of his dead loved ones while trying to not go insane from the mists around a dangerous obsidian mountain. The souls haven't been able to cross through the mists in five hundred years so when Eric succeeds, he unclogs the jam and they can try to get through again.

Hungry Ghosts is about Eric Carter having to answer to three different Aztec gods when he really doesn't care about them at all. By the end he's so worn out, he doesn't even care if he survives the ordeal.
I enjoy urban fantasy, specifically stories that borrow heavily from the film noir and hard-boiled detective genres. Stephen Blackmoore’s Eric Carter novels fit the bill nicely.

Hungry Ghosts is the third installment in the series, following Dead Things and Broken Souls. In Blackmoore’s world, magic relies on a local grid wizards can tap into. The specific expression of that power varies among wizards, with Eric Carter drawn to one of the rarest specialties: necromancer. He is a strong natural talent, but a series of adventures has given him exceptional abilities.

Great strength often comes at great cost, and Carter’s power boost is no exception. The events of the first two books led to his becoming entangled with Santa Muerte, originally known as Mictecacihuatl, the Aztec goddess of death. “Entangled with” as in “married to.” Mortals pledging themselves to gods can result in significant complications and side effects up to and including fates worse than death, so Carter is properly motivated to take extreme measures to save himself.

The first two novels in the series set up the action in Hungry Ghosts, so I won’t detail the events that put the author’s protagonist in this bind. The action is entertaining and, true to the book’s hard-boiled antecedents, occasionally violent. Okay, fine…you got me: more than occasionally. And yet I never have the feeling that Blackmoore adds violence for its own sake. Instead, frequenting the world of the dead (literally) and carrying around the messed-up baggage that comes with it makes Eric Carter familiar with and capable of delivering death in its various forms. As an author, Blackmoore writes in a straightforward style that I find engaging. The gritty industrial locations of his mortal criminals’ lairs stand in sharp contrast to the land of the dead and the magical elements present when Aztec gods manifest.

The events of Hungry Ghosts takes Eric Carter through regions of existence he had (mostly) heard of but hoped never to traverse. The ongoing exploration of the landscape and Carter’s reaction to it kept me interested throughout. Again, Blackmoore’s direct style serves him well here. He splits his narrative between milieu and character wisely, providing every detail I need to appreciate the challenges of the setting and the consequences of failure while following his protagonist’s thought process as he works through increasingly challenging and threatening situations.

I highly recommend Hungry Ghosts and its predecessors, though I do have a couple of caveats given the books’ subject matter and presentation. First, the novels include a fair amount of profanity. I believe the characters’ language, like the violence, is organic to the story, so it doesn’t bother me. Second, readers who shy away from descriptions of bloody crime scenes or casually mentioning a shotgun blast to the back of the knee should pick other books.

I loved all three Eric Carter novels, especially Hungry Ghosts. If you enjoy (or think you might enjoy) urban fantasy, I’m sure you will, too.