Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

I REALLY wanted to love this book but I kinda felt like there was something missing. The characters weren’t as likable as I would have liked and I found myself not really caring about the outcome. It a quick read, so if the description entices you give it a try BUT it wasn’t my cup of tea.
This is one of my least favorite retellings of the classic Beauty and the Beast story. I felt the characters to be a little flat, and I just expected more from this author. A bit disappointed. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it.
As an avid fan of Disneys Beauty and the Beast, I jumped at the chance to red this arc and it did not dissapoint. Both dark and delicious, I think it was a perfect retelling of my best loved fairy tale.
I think I appreciated the premise of this book more than the actual execution. Such a shame because I was looking forward to it.
I had to give up on this book quite early on and after reading other reviews on GoodReads found that many others were surprised by the rape scene in this novel. I was excited by the premise but unfortunately could not continue after this.
This book turned me off very early with a brutal rape scene, so MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for that, and it should be in the Goodreads blurb so that any rape survivors know ahead of time before stumbling on that by accident.

I read 22% of the book in and I cannot possibly see how this man can get transformed into a beast and redeem himself. Because, see, here's the thing: I don't give a SHIT if the beast acts like a completely different person that expresses remorse for what he did. The fact of the matter is that he's not. He's still a man that RAPED someone (and maybe others) and I don't like how that is completely brushed aside. It's problematic as FUCK. I don't like that somehow Lucie falls in love with the beast (HER RAPIST) because that is disgusting and not at ALL realistic.

I'm not sure how this book got published. But I'm FURIOUS.
A review of this title is avaliable through Goodreads - and later through my blog. The Goodreads link is available below!
How in the hell is this a YA book? I could not get past the vicious rape scene. I would not recommend this book to anyone and I would not ever let anyone read it! Giving it a 1 star because I cannot give it a 0
I love Beauty and the Beast retellings and this was no exception. Full of adventure and intrigue, I couldn't put it down!
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and I can't resist reading any sort of retelling of it, but this one was strange, icky, and boring. I don't mind having unique elements in the story to keep it fresh, but I was absolutely not okay with the rape that occurred. I understand what the author's intent was, but that doesn't mean I liked it at all. From there, I was mostly bored.
I usually love re telling a of fairytales, but I did not love this one. From the very beginning I found the book to be quite boring. I really like any of the characters either. It was just blah. The only good thing about this book is the cover picture.
This isn’t my favorite retelling of Beauty and the Beast but it was a decent story overall. There wasn’t much that made it stand out above others that I have read with a similar plot line.
DNF around 35% and 1.5 star. Why did i subject myself to another terrible re-telling?

THE GOOD
1) The potential and/or attempt at creativity. From what I read what I learned through other reviews, this is less a story about Belle and the Beast as it is about the candlestick and the Beast. Belle comes into the picture later, which could have opened doors for a unique and creative retelling like The Beast.

But...nope.

2) I love it when Beauty and the Beast re-tellings go the route of more realistic, time-period medieval settings like Beauty of the Beast . Even though this version still went the route of the magical enchantment, we started going the route of period France.

3) I respect what Lisa Jensen tried to do with this novel, I do. Here is a blurb from her author's note:

So why is it the prince who gets the “reward” of Beauty’s love? And why is Beauty so ready to forget the Beast she says she loves and marry the prince? Doesn’t Beast himself deserve to be the hero?

As someone who’s always loved Beast more than the prince, I thought: wouldn’t it be more interesting if there was another woman involved, one who wants to preserve Beast and make sure the prince never returns? So, in my version, there is a good reason the young chevalier is transformed into Beast: his handsome face conceals an evil and corrupted nature. And no one knows it better than my heroine, Lucie.

As much as Beast deserves to be the hero in my book, I wanted to create, in Lucie, a heroine openhearted enough to care for Beast just the way he is —and strong enough to fight to preserve him. In Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge, they both deserve a happy ending.

THE BAD
1) If you're going to write a novel from the point of view of a speechless, immobile candlestick...you better be one heck of a writer. Lisa Jensen doesn't quite reach that mark, I'm afraid, and as a result much of what I read skimmed was narrative exposition as Lucie the Candlestick sits in a cupboard and thinks our story for us. Yaaaawwnn.

2) Yes, the Beast rapes Lucie while she's still human and yes, it's devastating for her. The Beast is also a despicable person to other people and animals alike, and seems ruthless and cruel. On one hand, with a skilled writer there could have been potential in that. The prince/Beast is, after all, supposed to be a detestable human pre-curse so if we hate him so much by a few chapters in, we're on the right track. One could argue this was merely going to be a very grim and realistically evil portrayal of what a truly deplorable human being would act like with no holds barred.

3) I just got so bored right away.

Pick up literally any other Beauty and the Beast retelling out there -- there are at least a dozen mature, fantasy-based one star that are terrific.
Put Down At ~40%

I wasn't really that interesting in this book after the beginning and found the characters quite dull
In the end, I would recommend the book.  It wasn’t a favorite, though and I would rather read other books before this one.  However, it was worth it to see a unique take on an age-old fairy tale.
I’m still not 100% set on my opinion of this one. Mostly I enjoyed it, but there were aspects I found problematic. Chief amongst these was the reality that a character was shown to exhibit sufficient change as to be forgiven for unforgivable crimes. Whilst I accept that the authors intent was to show that the character was in fact two separate characters, one having committed the crime and the other innocent, ultimately they inhabited the same body and so I find it difficult to accept that their victim was able to so willingly forgive and forget. I feel like I needed some additional separation between the characters, something to really sever them apart to accept this, and that was missing.
Unfortunately I had to DNF this book. Typically beauty and the beast retellings are one of my favorite. The synopsis sounds great and the cover was gorgeous. However, there was a brutal trape scene in the beginning that I felt was unnecessary.  The beast blames his mother for the rape vs taking accountability for it himself. This is absolutely not ok. The writing did not captivate me and I felt disconnected from the story.
This wasn't my favourite Beauty and the Beast reworking. It needed more character work. I really like it when a retelling is a retelling only in the loosest of terms. This was not my cup of tea, but I can see others really enjoying it.
This book is not for me. Trigger warning:
But there was a horrifying rape scene in it and I couldn’t even finish the novel after that, I had issues with the beast from then on that I found irreparable and I honestly can’t,
Just, no.
Told from the perspective of a maid in the house of a gorgeous but beastly chevalier, Beast is quite a different take on the Beauty and the Beast story. Lucie is initially smitten with her handsome employer, but after he uses and discards the young servant, she seeks the help of a witch in the nearby forest to get her revenge. But once turned into Beast, the chevalier is absolutely a different person. Beast may be hideous, but he is a beautiful soul. Lucie can only watch as Beast peruses books he once scorned, and tends the rose garden with his own hands, because Lucie was transformed as well, into a candelabra. She looks on in horror when the beautiful and mannered Rose comes to see Beast's charms, breaking the "curse" laid upon Beast, and returning the evil chevalier to his beauty and consciousness. Lucie must save Rose from his clutches, and Beast too.

A tale of redemption and second chances, where nothing is the way you thought it was.
One scene wherein Lucie is assaulted, but not graphically, but probably not appropriate for under 8th grade.