Cover Image: The Whistler

The Whistler

Another fabulous story from John Grisham.
Not my usual genre of choice, but I've always enjoyed how the author draws you into the story.
Recommended.
I am a long standing Grisham fan and I felt like, whilst his latest books have been missing some of the ‘thrill’ of earlier works, this one was much closer. It is a fast paced thriller which pulls together well at the end.
Great as always as the scene is set in this introductory read of the book. I have now read the whole thing and it contains exactly what you expect from Grisham.. I am late reviewing this so won't go deep into a review just to say if you are a legal thriller fan it needs to be read.
Grisham is one of those authors that you know is  good read. and while this , in my opinion, is not his finest it is an entertaining novel.

It is a slow burner and not very exciting but I had nothing else to do so it filled my day

I hope his next offering is much better
After recently struggling to get through a couple of books of short stories, I was looking on the shelf for a book I knew I could read in a weekend and this was the lucky pick.  Grisham's legal thrillers are my go-to read as they always hit the spot and are my favourites.

I'm four behind in Grisham's latest legal offerings and although this one is not a court room based thriller, there is still of course, the legal plot line albeit in a different sense.  I was instantly drawn to Lacy and her partner Hugo characters; you know the type, underpaid overworked Government workers trying to put the world to rights in the face of adversity (shady dealings, bribery, money laundering and witness tampering to name but a few) so you'll be rooting for them every step of the way.

I found it interesting reading regarding the Indian reservation and casino plot lines which had me thinking if there is any truth in the roots of this book (not all the wrongdoing but to do with the laws, and way of the land etc).

As per the Grisham norm it's cleverly thought out, there's plenty of action where every chapter feels like a cliffhanger and plenty of bad guys to loathe but then how do you find them when you don't know who they are....therein is much of the story!  However, much as I enjoyed this book and raced through it, it's not in the same league as A Time to Kill or The Firm.
I love John grisham books and was looking forward to reading this one, I was not disappointed and it reminded me again why I love this author.
I don't really know why but I just couldn't really seem to get into this book.
I am reviewing an early sampler of the legal thriller, The Whistler by John Grisham.
Lacy Stoltz is investigating the judicial misconduct of one of the most corrupt judges in American history, where organised crime and murder are his favourite tools. How can she beat someone like that? Here are my thoughts:

^^ John Grisham definitely has a style of his own, which appeals to many of his fans, I must say I am one of them. He writes very well, and writes what he knows with a nice mix of law, order and resting scenes.

^^ I found the beginning of the story quite intriguing when Lacy and Hugo first meet Ramsey Mix. The whole setting up of the book, the dodgy judge, and all the implications, sounded so promising.

Overall: Unfortunately, with this early sampler I only got to read the first four chapters and was unsure how to write a review based on such a small part of the book.  What I read was good, but whether it continued that way, I do not know. It's a shame I wasn't sent the whole book.

I received this from NetGalley, thanks to Hodder and Stoughton.
I felt very underwhelmed by this book and I'm not interested in purchasing the full book after finishing the sample. The start has a lot of info-dumping and the story wasn't introduced very well. It felt too rushed and it was a struggle to make sense of the story in the first few chapters I read. It didn't pull me in as I hoped it would which is disappointing.
As a sampler, this was classic John Grisham - starts off with the minutiae of a car journey, disagreements over what to listen to on the radio while introducing us to Lacey & Hugo, a pair of investigators driving to a meeting with a man claiming to want to make a formal complaint against judicial misconduct. The writing is, as you would expect, engaging and descriptive and I am very interested to know how things go once they say Goodbye to him on the pier!

The informer
It started okay. The story is compelling till about half way in. Then the pace picks up to the point of disbelief and stupidity. The last 10% was like a yada yada yada recitation of this judge did this, the FBI did this, the criminals were sentenced thusly. It was like Mr. Grisham was in a hurry to finish, a!most as though he had lost interest in his own story. The biggest disappointment was the ending. There was absolutely NO resolution for the character who appeared to be central to the plot. Junior Mace even had his own prequel. What was the point of the novella Witness to a Trial? I guess it sorta set the stage but it was disappointing that it didn't come full circle. I felt like any ol Grisham wannabe could have written this.
I apologise for not downloading this book before its archive date.  I was sorry to have missed the opportunity to review it.
This was only the first 4 chapters but would like more, will be buying to see what happens
I am a big fan of John Grisham but I just couldn't engage with this book. If you a die hard fan then it might be for you but personally not his best from my side.
A great extract that made me want to read the whole book, which I did.
Grisham draws readers in with a style that feels like expository writing; that is, there's no building up of character from the beginning, but a masterly open fan of the problem, the players, and the pursuit team, without giving anything of what's to come away. My first taste of a master.