Manga Classics: Jane Eyre

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

[Thank you to Udon Entertainment and Netgalley for providing my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.]
I started to use Netgalley during my graphic novel binge (due to the librarian at my school buying a few and needing them read to make sure they were appropriate for students) and I decided to check out what graphic novels the site had to offer. Upon looking, I requested a few and gained automatic approval from Udon Entertainment.
I did not know where to start with all 9 graphic novels but then I decided to pick Jane Eyre. This is the first Manga that I have ever read and at the start I was confused on opening the file. I thought that reading backwards was going to be annoying but after the first few pages it did not seem to bother me in the least.  This was a great adaptation of the novel.  When I first opened it I was shocked to see it was over 300 pages (as all the other graphic novels I have taken out thus far have been much shorter) but I am glad that it was this long because if it was shorter it would not have done justice to the original story line. It seemed to capture the story from start to finish without leaving out anything.  I felt that Jane’s character and relationships were portrayed wonderfully throughout the story.
The art work was beautifully designed. I found myself enjoying the art work in this book more than I first thought that I would have. There were time that I thought the way that Jane looked due to the nature of the Manga made it a little difficult to take her as seriously as she was supposed to be. Also, there were times that I found it hard to remember that she was actually an adult for most of the book because she looked very young how she was drawn. The one thing that I wish (and I know it is a silly thing because it is not something that they must have and I have… and  I know that none of the Magna by this company have it) is color. I just am one of those (I guess you would call it… spoiled… people…) who like to see things in color.
I cannot wait to continue reading all of the books I have taken out from NetGalley from Udon entertainment!
I received this via the publisher on NetGalley for an honest review.

I have just really started getting into Manga the last year. This was such a cute read. I love this story. I am so glad they are formatting classics in Manga so they will reach the younger generation that like art.

The art work was very well done. This manga was easy to follow and the story was clear. If you love classics and love the story of Jane Eyre. I highly recommend this read.
Jane Eyre is my favorite classic, so I was very excited to read this book. However, I think my love for the original took away from my love of this adaptation. It was very cute and I believe many readers will enjoy this manga, but I was a little bored by it. That being said, I really enjoyed the art and will definitely be reading this publisher's other manga adaptations.
This was a great retelling of Jane Eyre. The art was beautiful and it was easy to follow. This was my first time reading a Manga and I'm looking forward to reading more!
To preface this, "Jane Eyre" is one of my favourite novels of all time. I am very serious about all things Brontë; I do not take adaptations to this timeless tale lightly. That being said, I am ecstatic to report that this manga edition of "Jane Eyre" is one of the best retellings of Charlotte Brontë's renowned novel that I have ever read. What really makes it so amazing is how faithful the author remains to the original storyline. Most adaptations, particularly in film, leave out some of the more memorable scenes, such as the session with the fortune telling gypsy. The author and illustrator of this manga, however, both did an amazing job selecting the most important lines from the story to create an accurate and beautiful rendition that is easy to read and enjoy. I love it so much that I want to buy my own physical copy! I cannot wait to read other manga classics because of this.
I guess now is he time to admit that I have never read the original Jane Eyre. I never read it because someone gave me a summary of it and it sounded boring to me. So I thought this manga classic would be a great introduction to the story and hopefully help me see if I would actually like the classic or not.

This is going to be so much fun, I thought! I used to love comic books and graphic novels. But somehow I keep forgetting that I don’t really enjoy them anymore. For the simple reason that I can’t get into a reading flow. After every two sentences you have to interrupt your reading and look at the picture which I find very annoying. But halfway into the book I was surprised to have found a different kind of flow that included the pictures and I began to enjoy the story.

Of course, the manga is not as great as the classic but it actually contains the language from the original. (How do I know? I compared the two, of course! :)) I think this is a cool way to introduce classic literature to young or hesitant readers. However, I often got the impression that things were left out for the story to progress more quickly. I also had a hard time connecting with the characters because of that very reason. I feel like I never really got to know them. It was a bit rushed. Now I really want to go and read the original Jane Eyre and I am sure I am going to love it.
Jane Eyre is my favourite classic and reading it in the manga classics format was amazing. I would highly, highly recommend the book to anyone who wants to get more into classics or likes manga. As a middle school library book reviewer, I would definitely have more kids pick up classics and what is a better way than manga classics. A major part of the illustrations were on point aunt Reed, John, Adele, Mr. Rochester and many more were just as I imagined them and the book transported me to the first time I read it. So no matter what your age, if you are reading Jane Eyre for the first time or re-reading it, this edition will give you a highly entertaining experience.
I've wanted to read Jane Austen for some time now but the heft of the book always scared me off. So reading it in a manga for was perfect. The story is still there. The characters are more expressive than in the movie adaptations. Especially the really old ones. And it managed to capture me for a full day without me having to stop in the middle. I was that enamoured by it all.
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classics so this was such a joy to read!!! I had so much fun revisiting the story through the manga!!! Loved it!
Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" in manga form is interesting. These manga classics are interesting with some well done art. I definitely like these.
I love everything Jane Eyre. It is my absolute favorite book besides the Iliad/Odyssey. When I saw that there was a different format of it, I had to give it a try. I have never really read much Manga, but this book had a certain charm to it. I believe this would be a great tool for getting the younger generation to enjoy the classics more. The illustrations were beautiful, and it follows the basic theme of the original Bronte novel.
Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books- I must have read and re-read it at least twenty times. Therefore, I was very excited to see this manga version of Charlotte Bronte’s novel.
The artwork is simply gorgeous. I loved the way dramatic images substitute lengthy descriptions adding to the pace of the story. The adaptation is faithful to the original and very easy to follow, making it a quick and enjoyable read. There are cliff-hangers at the end of each chapter, which foreshadow upcoming events.
I felt it was a great way to introduce new readers to the old classic, esp. those who feel daunted by reading a lengthy Victorian novel. They will discover amazing characters (my favourite are Helen and Miss Temple) and an engaging love story between Jane and Mr Rochester, two kindred spirits.
Thank you to NetGalley and Udon Entertainment& Morpheus Studios for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Jane Eyre is part of the Manga Classics series adapted from the original work by Charlotte Bronte. I absolutely loved this manga. It kept very true to the original text and the illustrations were amazing. This is a definitely 5 star for me and would absolutely recommend it to anyone who loves classics, manga or just a great love story.
I feel very excited about a manga version of this classic. The downside of a netgalley copy is the black and white pictures because in colour the art is stunning. I saw a sample, and wow. Still, the faces are very life-like and expressive.

Many misfortunes have befallen orphan jane as she is mistreated at her aunt's household. Her passionate temper is always in stark contrast with her aloof and unloving aunt who disliskes her and poisons even her only means of escape, a school.

Many an adaptation has been made for TV of this 19th century English novel, but this one paints a very detailed portrait of Jane's stay at the school for orphaned girls. It shows lessons learned by her in how to conduct her nature and expectations which is something usually lost on screen where they prefer to insist on the squalor and cruelty instead of her evolution as a person.

I like the art because the pages are fully used with no wasted space, the buildings look grand and every character is beautifully rendered.

Every little corner in every page is filled to the brim with art. It has to be as the novel by Charlotte Brontë has a lot to convey. There is romance, tempered by social class and moral compass, a teasing and dramatic one as any forbidden love could entail. Not only class difference would make this relationship null in the eyes of society, but the age gap and the lack of outer beauty play a part too. Both characters have been denied love, so the despair is potent to see. Mr. Rochester is somewhat a rake because he was lost in his way to finding true love.

However, the pervading theme is independence of will, the right to choose for oneself despite social mandates.

Jane Eyre represents all this with her quiet intellect and fiery nature that strives to speak and act according to the truth. I think her spirit and strength are well portrayed in this very comprehensive adaptation. I enjoyed it very much.
I have said this about all the other books in this collection is that it's not a word for word at all, but more like a summery. Not totally of course, but enough to leave out some little details. These Manga classics are great again since people learn differently. I think this is a great way to get the younger generation to read and know about classic books.
Thank you Udon Entertainment and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy of this graphic novel in exchange for my honest opinion.

It was so great to see two of my favorite things come together. I love reading manga and graphic novels. Jane Eyre is always my go to as far as classic novels goes. This was such refreshing experience and I would definitely recommend this to readers who enjoy graphic novels and want to get into classics but don't have the time (or the patience to be entirely honest. Some of them can be a trial to read in themselves) to read them that most classics  take.

The illustrations were great and I love that I really feel like the art really sticks to the description of the original. The best part is that, I breezed through this and did not feel like I missed anything from the original to the adaptation. It helps so much to have the images and it drastically cut down a lot of the detailed description that can make even the best of classic novels difficult to get through.

I highly recommend giving this a shot if you've never read the original and don't have the time it takes to fully dedicate to the book and also for lovers of the original that also enjoy graphic novels.
jane eyre is already my favorite book and i LOVED this version as well!! Going to need to own this book!!
Manga Classics created a gorgeously-drawn adaptation that highlights the romance of the story. I have wanted to watch and read Jane Eyre many times, but the TV and movie adaptations have been far too dreary. While I appreciate that this was a part of the original story, I tend to prefer lighter, more romantic British dramas such as Jane Austen's. I'm so happy that I could finally enjoy Jane Eyre through this beautiful Manga Classics version.

While I haven't read the original work, the writer who adapted the story mentioned how she made some minor changes. She created cliffhangers at the end of the chapters, which I really appreciated and found very effective. Without them, a work of this length could've had pacing issues, and I'm so glad they put them in to keep readers hooked.

The quality of the artwork was impressive. I read a lot of manga (especially shoujo), and the art was absolutely gorgeous. There was great attention to detail in the costumes, hairstyles, and settings. All of this created a greater sense of immersion, and made the world feel sumptuous and romantic, even during the darker moments.  The panels were consistently good as well; I didn't see any artwork that felt rushed (as can occasionally happen with some of the weekly manga series - but not here). It was beautiful, and very readable.

I would absolutely recommend this adaptation to anyone interested in reading a classic romance. Manga Classics makes it easy to enjoy even if you aren't familiar with manga - they even have a quick, cute "reading guide" to help readers new to the back-to-front format.

Thank you to Netgalley and Udon for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
The art added to these classic books is just fantastic. I love the covers and I love reading through the books with the new art.
Reading this reminded me of all the problems I had with the original story... But as this isn't a review of the original story I won't get into all that now.

This manga edition more than does the original story justice, managing to tell such a detailed story without feeling rushed or leaving large holes in the narrative. I feel like even if you weren't familiar with the original tale you would be able to read this and get all of (or at least most of) the tale without trouble.

The story is drawn well, the panels easy to follow and read. Obviously since it's traditional manga and told right to left it might take some getting used to for someone new to the format but the layout of this book is relatively easy to follow and even a newbie could pick it up with ease.

It was a quicker read than I expected (in a good way; I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I was drawn in and the ease with which the pages flew by) and I found myself quite enraptured with the tale and the telling of it.

As mentioned, I have issues with the story itself but found it much more enjoyable in this format. I would definitely reread this edition and recommend it both to those seeking to acquaint themselves with Bronte's story for the first time as well as those already familiar with (and in love with) the tale. Solid five stars from me.

(I received a free copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review)