Manga Classics: Jane Eyre

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Jane Eyre has never been my favorite of the classics, but I did enjoy the manga version.
Its a nice alternative to the original format of the novel. I found it a faithful adaptation
with really lovely art to help guide you through the story. Defiantly worth checking out.
It was alright. I did not love the art style chosen for this story, as I felt it was too cutesy for the tone of the novel. In fact, it often got distracting during weightier scenes. This adaptation did not offer much more than the source material, and as a fan of the original novel, I found it alright. I would have preferred a more gothic style to fit with the atmosphere of Thornfield and Jane's somber situation.
I received a copy of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first time reading in true manga format and it through me off at first. It’s a bit of an adjustment. Once I got used to that the story was ok. The artwork was nice, the story flowed fine. This is like a concise coles notes version of Jane Eyre, so it lacks the details and depth from the actual novel. It is a good way to introduce Jane Austen’s novels to a younger demographic though that might not be so keen on reading. Another thing I always find is that things get lost in translation. The dialogue was very basic and was sometimes awkward.
Overall though, it was a quick enjoyable read.
**I received a copy of this book, in exchange of an honest review. All opinions are completely my own**
To be honest, I have never actually read Jane Eyre. I have tried to on several occasions, but have never been able to get into it for some reason. Reading this graphic novel really helped my get an understanding of what the book is about and I actually enjoyed it. I might have to try reading the book again!
This was my first experience with manga and I loved it. I enjoyed the graphics and the style and this version of Jane Eyre was amazing.

*Thank you to Netgalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.*
{My thoughts} – I have not had the opportunity to read the original novel in which this book is based. However, I am looking forward to that becoming a possibility in the near future. I really love how the illustrations within this book, help to bring the authors words to life.

This book is about a sweet girl named Jane as the title suggests. She is an orphan and she had a terrible childhood. Any individual that has had a poor upbringing can relate to the strong emotions that are displayed throughout the illustrations within this book.

This story is mostly about new beginnings, second chances and making the best out of the hand you are dealt. Jane finds love but is she able to hold onto it? The thing that is most notable within the pages is that she is forced to face her fears, regardless what she’d been through. It’s amazing how resilient one can be when they have no other option but to fight for what they believe in, let it be love and or following one’s dreams.

There is so much raw emotion within the pages of this book. It is so incredible well done, that it too makes me want to read the original. I really believe that one day I may do just that, read the original, but for the time being I know that I have a clear understanding of the actual story through this brilliantly adapted version of a timeless classic!
4/5 stars

"Jane Eyre" a favorite romantic classic comes to life within this beautiful manga. This classic story is the tragic and romantic story of Jane Eyre. Orphaned at a young age, she is reluctantly taken in by her aunt, Mrs. Reed, and her cousins. Her cold, unfeeling aunt does not consider her family and sends her off to Lowood school. Years later, Jane obtains a position at the mysterious Thornfield hall taking care of Mr. Rochester's ward. This is where the story really begins.

I appreciated that this retelling didn't breeze over Jane Eyre's upbringing in the beginning including her time at Gateshead and Lowood school. Jane's beginning really shapes her into the strong minded character we love. I also liked that the majority of the manga focused on the happenings at Thornfield and the relationships Jane developed there.

The story scenes flowed smoothly and were easy to read. I didn't find myself hopping over certain bubbles in confusion which has happened in other stories. While there were certain changes or cuts to small parts in the story, none of the changes were significant. All the favorite parts and lines everyone loves from "Jane Eyre" were included and I loved seeing them play out in manga! I highly recommend this one if you’re a fan of classic stories and manga!

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Udon Entertainment for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is beautifully done. The timeless story we have all come to love teamed with beautiful pictures with that whimsical anime charm.
This would be a great option if you were looking to get your teens into reading classics without it feeling a bit dusty.
A really wonderful adaptation of the much-loved novel. I particularly like Jane's character design, and Mr's Rochester's exaggerated shoujo manga expressions. I also appreciated the relatively sympathetic portrayal of Bertha Rochester. Good fun, and a nicely faithful adaptation.
I've never read the book so I can't review based on that, but I did really enjoy this manga and the story.
I have always been a manga fan so when I saw these I was immediately drawn to them. Each one I read has been great. This was a cute retelling and I will definitely read it again.

Thanks Netgalley and publishers for allowing me to read this.
[Thank you to Udon Entertainment and Netgalley for providing my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.]
I started to use Netgalley during my graphic novel binge (due to the librarian at my school buying a few and needing them read to make sure they were appropriate for students) and I decided to check out what graphic novels the site had to offer. Upon looking, I requested a few and gained automatic approval from Udon Entertainment.
I did not know where to start with all 9 graphic novels but then I decided to pick Jane Eyre. This is the first Manga that I have ever read and at the start I was confused on opening the file. I thought that reading backwards was going to be annoying but after the first few pages it did not seem to bother me in the least.  This was a great adaptation of the novel.  When I first opened it I was shocked to see it was over 300 pages (as all the other graphic novels I have taken out thus far have been much shorter) but I am glad that it was this long because if it was shorter it would not have done justice to the original story line. It seemed to capture the story from start to finish without leaving out anything.  I felt that Jane’s character and relationships were portrayed wonderfully throughout the story.
The art work was beautifully designed. I found myself enjoying the art work in this book more than I first thought that I would have. There were time that I thought the way that Jane looked due to the nature of the Manga made it a little difficult to take her as seriously as she was supposed to be. Also, there were times that I found it hard to remember that she was actually an adult for most of the book because she looked very young how she was drawn. The one thing that I wish (and I know it is a silly thing because it is not something that they must have and I have… and  I know that none of the Magna by this company have it) is color. I just am one of those (I guess you would call it… spoiled… people…) who like to see things in color.
I cannot wait to continue reading all of the books I have taken out from NetGalley from Udon entertainment!
I received this via the publisher on NetGalley for an honest review.

I have just really started getting into Manga the last year. This was such a cute read. I love this story. I am so glad they are formatting classics in Manga so they will reach the younger generation that like art.

The art work was very well done. This manga was easy to follow and the story was clear. If you love classics and love the story of Jane Eyre. I highly recommend this read.
Jane Eyre is my favorite classic, so I was very excited to read this book. However, I think my love for the original took away from my love of this adaptation. It was very cute and I believe many readers will enjoy this manga, but I was a little bored by it. That being said, I really enjoyed the art and will definitely be reading this publisher's other manga adaptations.
This was a great retelling of Jane Eyre. The art was beautiful and it was easy to follow. This was my first time reading a Manga and I'm looking forward to reading more!
To preface this, "Jane Eyre" is one of my favourite novels of all time. I am very serious about all things Brontë; I do not take adaptations to this timeless tale lightly. That being said, I am ecstatic to report that this manga edition of "Jane Eyre" is one of the best retellings of Charlotte Brontë's renowned novel that I have ever read. What really makes it so amazing is how faithful the author remains to the original storyline. Most adaptations, particularly in film, leave out some of the more memorable scenes, such as the session with the fortune telling gypsy. The author and illustrator of this manga, however, both did an amazing job selecting the most important lines from the story to create an accurate and beautiful rendition that is easy to read and enjoy. I love it so much that I want to buy my own physical copy! I cannot wait to read other manga classics because of this.
I guess now is he time to admit that I have never read the original Jane Eyre. I never read it because someone gave me a summary of it and it sounded boring to me. So I thought this manga classic would be a great introduction to the story and hopefully help me see if I would actually like the classic or not.

This is going to be so much fun, I thought! I used to love comic books and graphic novels. But somehow I keep forgetting that I don’t really enjoy them anymore. For the simple reason that I can’t get into a reading flow. After every two sentences you have to interrupt your reading and look at the picture which I find very annoying. But halfway into the book I was surprised to have found a different kind of flow that included the pictures and I began to enjoy the story.

Of course, the manga is not as great as the classic but it actually contains the language from the original. (How do I know? I compared the two, of course! :)) I think this is a cool way to introduce classic literature to young or hesitant readers. However, I often got the impression that things were left out for the story to progress more quickly. I also had a hard time connecting with the characters because of that very reason. I feel like I never really got to know them. It was a bit rushed. Now I really want to go and read the original Jane Eyre and I am sure I am going to love it.
Jane Eyre is my favourite classic and reading it in the manga classics format was amazing. I would highly, highly recommend the book to anyone who wants to get more into classics or likes manga. As a middle school library book reviewer, I would definitely have more kids pick up classics and what is a better way than manga classics. A major part of the illustrations were on point aunt Reed, John, Adele, Mr. Rochester and many more were just as I imagined them and the book transported me to the first time I read it. So no matter what your age, if you are reading Jane Eyre for the first time or re-reading it, this edition will give you a highly entertaining experience.
I've wanted to read Jane Austen for some time now but the heft of the book always scared me off. So reading it in a manga for was perfect. The story is still there. The characters are more expressive than in the movie adaptations. Especially the really old ones. And it managed to capture me for a full day without me having to stop in the middle. I was that enamoured by it all.
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classics so this was such a joy to read!!! I had so much fun revisiting the story through the manga!!! Loved it!