Cover Image: Rule Breaker

Rule Breaker

Loved this read about a forbidden romance between a Hawaiian girl and a white surferboy-- great characters, a believable and genuine romance, and a richly detailed setting, all came together for a truly gorgeous read.
I really enjoyed this one by Kat and Stone Bastion!  It had great characters, a captivating storyline, and a wonderful setting!  I liked the main characters, Mason and Leilani, and I enjoyed watching their romance develop. I felt for them when her family was against them, and wanted their relationship to work. I was pleased with the way it all played out.
I loved this new take on Romeo and Juliet, following a romance between a Hawaiian girl and a white surfer boy. The family dynamics were really interesting, and the romance itself was beautiful.
Mason is a surfer, escaping from a rigid past with parents who want to write out his future. Leilani is on a mission to find herself outside of the rules set by family. When the two meet sparks fly, but finding common ground is always harder than it seems.

The pacing of the story is choppy with moments of high intensity between Mason and Leilani and then hints of secrets to come. Leilani spends the vast majority of the story hinting at an underlying secret, but the big reveal doesn’t seem to be a deal breaker at all. I was expecting something of more significance. Mason is remarkably zen which goes well with his surfer lifestyle and Kat and Stone Bastion write out his belief system beautifully. I loved reading his thoughts on why he believed what he believed.

The racial and cultural aspects of the story were a little hard for me to swallow. As a member of a multiracial family in Hawaii I have never experienced any of the violence that Mason and Leilani went through. I realize that everyone’s reality is different, but the acts of violence felt like contrived plot devices put in for their shock value rather than a respectful way to explain Hawaiian culture. Many other aspects of Hawaiian culture, especially the language, love of family and love of the land were depicted with grace.

Overall, I found this modern day take on star crossed lovers to be intriguing, although there were aspects that took away from my full enjoyment.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
*ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review*

I enjoyed this book overall, although honestly it was kind of hard for me to get into. It wasn't until halfway through that I felt the connection.

Mason *swoon* there really wasn't anything I'd change about him! I loved him!! So, so much!

Lelani isn't my fav heroine. I just get turned off characters that are too secretive and she's one of those.

Not a whole lot of smut, but plenty of sexual tension!

All in all, I did enjoy it!
Beautiful story set in an equally beautifully, exotic setting. Devoured this book in only a day!
Rule Breaker was a great second installment in the Unbreakable series by Kat and Stone Bastion! Leilani and Mason were a great combination of sweet, sexy and swoony. I loved that the authors highlighted the beautiful and exotic state of Hawaii in this novel but also the multicultural and diverse backgrounds of Leilani and Mason.

I thought that Rule Breaker was heartfelt and amazing. Mason and Leilani had heart and their story was filled with sass, snark as well as a star crossed lovers theme. I absolutely loved this story and I can't wait for more from these authors.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Kat Bastion for a copy of this ebook.
This title was sent to me without requesting it.  I am a fan of Kat and Stone, and I do intend to read it in the near future,.
I couldn't finish this book, losing interest at 17% of the way through. I didn't understand why the couple got together, and once they were on that beach, despite enjoying the rich scene building, I wasn't anticipating anything upcoming in the story. If I drop a book I usually make an effort to push on past slow parts, but stalling so soon into the story is a bad sign.
Let's start first of all with the cover omg it's stunning...I May spend more than an hour drooling lol.This isn't like your usual books.The story line as  is a slow smoldering romance. I loved the romance a lot.The character building is brilliant .Generally it was a great story.
This was a great book by Kat Bastion. I of course got pulled right in especially with that cover 😍 This was a romance between 2 people that their families didn't want them together. They had to overcome many obstacles in order to be together.
Mase is a windsurfer/surfer that Leilani has asked if her brother could sponsor him by getting him to ride some of his boards. Mase immediately developed feelings for Leilani. Leilani was a little more safe with her feelings knowing that her family wouldn't approve. But love won out and she couldn't stop herself from falling for Mase.
I can't wait to read some more books in this series. Such a great heart warming story.
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Amazing book! I couldn't put it down.  I loved both the main characters!
This is my first book by Kat and Stone Bastion and I was very taken by their writing style. This story is heavy on the dialogue and light on explicit scenes but the character development and the sense of place was fantastic! The vivid description of Hawaii and other locations was beautiful.

Mase has fled his carefully planned-out life for the complete freedom of surfing. He lives simply but is drawn into a possible sponsorship with a board manufacturer by the stunning Leilani. Her brother has sent her to try and make a deal with Mase. He has no interest in the "going commercial" but he falls fast for Leilani.

Mase travels to Maui to meet with Leilani's brother and basically encounters prejudice the minute he arrives there. He is considered an "outsider" and his relationship with Leilani is immediately called into question. Leilani, who is at home in Hawaii, feels just as out of place in Mase's world as he does in hers. Will they be able to overcome everyone else's pre-conceived notions about them?

This is the first book I have read by Kat and Stone Bastion. The story is captivating and richly detailed. I also loved that this was a book about surfing. And, even though this is the second book in a series, you can absolutely read it as a standalone, as I did. To me, the writing almost bordered on spiritual at several points in the story, which fit in well with the overall tone of the book. Finally, kudos to the authors for their wonderful description of Hawaii life and language! I am looking forward to reading more from these authors.
While I had a lot of fun reading this book, it just wasn't what I was looking for. I give it three stars for the hot scenes and the hot men, I'm not sure if I'll pick up another book by Kat soon.
This is a story that will touch your heart, make you feel so much in a short time span, show you the struggle that two people have when their culture is different and the struggles they have to unite and find their place within.
Mason and  Leilani make a fantastic couple in this book. He is one strong man and is there for  Leilani when she needs him, especially when she needs him to be strong for her. He is the man for her, to be strong for her and be the man to fight and win her heart.  Their story is unique and starts when Mason  is a competitive windsurfer and meets Leilani when she sought out Mason because she was helping out her brother Makani an offered Mason sponsorship for Mason to use Makani's surf boards but Mason countered with another offer to Leilani.. that is how their love story started.  Its how love blossomed and bloomed , how love found its way between two broken people and how they heal each other.  I loved their final outcome and I cant say enough good things about this book and their love story.

My Rating:  4. 6 stars *****
"I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
I was really surprised about this novel. I was expecting a cute little romance in a beautiful setting, which I got, but I loved how there was an unexpected twist. There was romance, but there was also some real-life issues, which is sometimes missed in the genre.

I especially loved how Leilani held her own. She was set in her ways, knew exactly what she wanted and held her own. I also loved how it wasn't a love at first sight, boom we're hooked up, 2 days to marriage story. I questioned whether they would get together at points, especially halfway through when some major stuff goes down, but I felt like everything was just real.

I also loved how the authors included native dialect in the story. It made it that much more authentic. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good read and it makes a great beach read or cold winter day read.