After Me

(The Unfinished Series) (Volume 1)

Pub Date 12 Aug 2014 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2017

Being dead is all fun and games, until you fall in love...

After she’s murdered by a sexual predator, 18-year-old Jada Gayle must stay among the living until she finds and stops the Internet stalker who killed her. When the Afterlife Admissions Office assigns the now “transdead” Jada to a foster home back among the living, she assumes the identity of a homeless teen and is expected to simply fit in as she hunts down her killer, but that's not so easy when you’re a hot zombie chick channeling Chuck Norris. Then she meets Lew Stanton—captain of the chess team and computer whiz who makes her dead heart beat phantom rhythms in her chest. As if it’s not bad enough to have the hots for a nerd, Jada’s new friend Annalee likes him too. While Jada deals with all this unwanted teenaged angst, the man who murdered her is closing in on more foolish girls. Jada thinks she has plenty of time to handle her predicament until the night she gets a terrifying message: I HAVE YOUR FRIEND.

Being dead is all fun and games, until you fall in love...

EDITION Ebook

Links

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I liked the idea that Jada didn't die in vain, that there was something she could do to get justice for her and other kids like her. And I understand that Jada wanted to take down as many internet predators as possible, I'm with her all the way. But I had some difficulties with the language. Maybe times have changed since I was in school, but we did not speak like that. Other than that it was a great, thrilling read. I couldn't put the book down and wanted to know if and how everything would play out. Since this is the first book in this series, I can't wait to read the next book.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley and Backlit PR!

After Me by Joyce Scarborough

Summarize: Sometimes death is not final! It's just the start of a life. Jada Celeste Gayle meet a guy online and thought she was playing him, but in return it turned out to be a deadly mistake. Jada finds herself in the afterlife with a non humorous woman who wants to send her back to find her killer, and to her shock, wants her to get justice. There's a catch though, she also have to learn to open up to her “new” parents, make a true girlfriend, and let herself feel and fall in love! Easy right, that's the life of a normal teenage girl! Not, in Jada's case, she has never been able to make girlfriends, except for Courtney. That's another story though. Can Jada, now known as Trans-dead Gwen, find a best friend, find a lover, and bring her killer to justice?

RAVES: I absolutely love this book. It was a sad, but at the same time, loving and exciting. I enjoyed watching Jada grow and become a strong and up-standing women. She finally learns to live and sometimes I wish that is what I wish I could explain this to my daughter. The theme through out this book is the power of sticking together and learning that you are never alone. Those who you think you have nothing in common, you may actually have everything in common! Never judge a book by it's cover, I know this book is going to be a hit!

RANTS: I have no rants about this book! It was well wrote, the characters were well rounded and the story line kept me very hooked.

STARS: I give this book 5 out of 5 stars! It is a great read, and recommended to teens and YA readers. I believe that this book will resign-ate with them. I cannot wait to see what she comes out with next!

HOW TO GET IT: You can contact with the author at the links below:
Blog: http://joycescarbrough.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joyce-Scarbrough-books/225355834210672
Twitter: @JoyceScarbrough
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/671105.Joyce_Sterling_Scarbrough

Not set

I really loved this book!! After reading the blurb I though it would be quite thriller, dark and on the edge of your seat kind of book but it wasn't! It was actually a fairly light read; in saying that I still had trouble putting down.

There is a romance, Jada's sass, kick ass fighting, BFF goals, justice and the fact that she is a transdead. It was funny, sweet and sad. I couldn't really ask for much more, it was just what I was looking for. And Jada's sass? It was amazing, probably wouldn't of loved it as much without it. Imagine me -being a huge Arrow and Agents of Shield fan- when she decided to become a small time vigilante, I got really excited.

The occasional POV change was interesting but worked well, I was disgusted with the "villain" of the story but it's true. Luring girls over the Internet, rape and murder, are things that happen in this world and its good to be educated on them. Rape is something that I'm very scared of and is NOT OKAY!
There is the fact that Jada is transdead which means she's like she is half dead half alive which some perks, this carries on throughout almost the entire book so if your not a fan of the concept I don't think you would like it.

This was a great book, I definitely enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect and could've been better (not sure how) but If you're looking for a light, kick ass YA I'd recommend this. Just as long as your ok with some mature themes, I'd say not for 12 and under.

Tiana

Not set

I really really enjoyed this book. At 30+ years old (shhh!) I'm not big on YA Fiction anymore, so often the author focuses on completely unrelatable situations for anyone older than...well...young adult. Scarbrough breaks through this barrier with all the power of an undead superhero!! She makes the threat seem real and believable even when the solution is out of this world. Nothing like a bit of Girl-Power to brighten up a heavily male-centric reading list :) Anyone who has ever found themselves powerless against someone else can appreciate the theme of this story. Overall a very entertaining read, particularly in its writing style. I look forward to digging around for more of Joyce Scarbrough's writing.

I have to admit, I underestimated this book, to say the least. The plot intrigued me, but I didn't think much until I actually started reading it. The main character, Jada, is really entertaining to read about, as she goes through and feels things that she never did before, while alive. The thought of being "transdead", dead but alive, was initially a weird and unfamiliar concept, but as the story progresses, it was interesting to see how much the power of friendship actually means and how it affects one's actions.

Not set

Amazing read! I'm not gonna lie, the cover turned me off from reading it- but once I did, it was worth it. Ending was a bit rushed for me, but I would love a second book for Jada and Lew!

It's funny, I thought the first few pages of this was absolutely dreadful... I hated Jada, and I was convinced I was going to DNF it at like 2%! Haha. Luckily I kept on because once she died and we got to the point (like, four pages later), it was actually super awesome. I loved "Gwen" (new!Jada) and Lew and Annalee and all the other nerds and I just didn't want to stop reading!

Spoiler

Best twist ending EVER too when she didn't have to die for good once she'd found the guy who killed her, phew! I was worried about her new friends losing her!