Seventeen-year-old Vi Sinclair’s roots run deep in the Missouri Ozarks, where, in some areas, it can still be plenty dangerous to be a girl who likes girls. Her greatest wish is to become a veterinarian like her boss, Claire Campbell. Fitting in at school wouldn’t be so bad, either. Only one obstacle stands in the way: She may not live long enough to see her wishes fulfilled.
With help from her only friend, Junior, Vi unravels a mystery that puts her in conflict with a vicious tormentor, a dog fight syndicate, and her own mother. Vi’s experience galvanizes her strength and veracity as she overcomes the paradox of mountain life, in which, even today, customs and mores seem timeless, and where a person can wake up dead simply because of being who she is.
A Note From the Publisher
This novel contains content that may not be appropriate for all readers, including incidents of violence, animal cruelty, and homophobia.
2015 State of Florida Rising Kite Award — Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (pre-publication manuscript).
FIVE STARS: "Nancy Stewart has produced a tough, courageous novel that belongs on the shelf next to young-adult survival stories like Hatchet and Bridge to Terabithia." — Foreword Reviews (Nov/Dec, 2017)
* National publicity campaign
* Online blog tour
* Goodreads and Rafflecopter giveaways
* Direct marketing to independent booksellers
* Multi-platform e-book sales
* Publisher promotion at conventions and book festivals
* Select author appearances, including Dragon Con and Salt Lake City Comic Con
* Cross-promotion with author website (https://authorftlukens.wordpress.com/)
* Social networking campaign, including tumblr, Twitter, Facebook and other platforms
* Online reader's guide for book clubs