Apocalypse Nyx

Pub Date 27 Jul 2018 | Archive Date 09 Oct 2018

Talking about this book? Use #ApocalypseNyx #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Move over Mad Max—here comes Nyx.

Ex-government assassin turned bounty-hunter, Nyx, is good at solving other people’s problems. Her favorite problem-solving solution is punching people in the face. Then maybe chopping off some heads. Hey—it’s a living.

Her disreputable reputation has been well earned. To Nyx’s mind, it’s also justified. After all, she’s trying to navigate an apocalyptic world full of giant bugs, contaminated deserts, scheming magicians, and a centuries-long war that’s consuming her future. Managing her ragtag squad of misfits has required a lot of morally-gray choices.

Every new job is another day alive. Every new mission is another step toward changing a hellish future—but only if she can survive.

Move over Mad Max—here comes Nyx.

A Note From the Publisher

Kameron Hurley is the author of The Stars are Legion and the award-winning essay collection The Geek Feminist Revolution, as well as the God’s War Trilogy and the Worldbreaker Saga. Hurley has won the Hugo Award, Kitschy Award, BSFA Award, and Sydney J. Bounds Award for Best Newcomer. She was also a finalist for the Arthur C. Clarke Award, the Nebula Award, and the Gemmell Morningstar Award. Her short fiction has appeared in Popular Science Magazine, Lightspeed Magazine, and many anthologies. Hurley has also written for The Atlantic, Entertainment Weekly, the Village Voice, Bitch Magazine, and Locus. She posts regularly at KameronHurley.com.

Advance Praise

Praise for Apocalypse Nyx

“If you’re new to Nyx, this may be a good place to start, taking place before the current series of which she’s the star. If you’re already a fan, this adds some wonderfully bloody, emotionally sharp texture to an already intriguing world and characters—get on it.”
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Reviews

Apocalypse Nyx is grim, unapologetic science fiction at its best . . . gripping.”
New York Journal of Books

“This is a dystopia that revels in it in a big, joyous way with cracking one-liners and tight squeezes to escape. Apocalypse Nyx is definitely not for the squeamish, but if you like your heroines as kickass as Dutch from the TV series Killjoys you’ll love Nyxnissa. Good, honest science fiction fun with a feminist twist.
—Starburst

“Gritty with a capital grit . . . In allI love this world, I love these stories.”
—Fangs for the Fantasy

“Great for all you hard-drinking, hard punching, embittered readers who like a lot of grit in their post-apocalyptic hard-SF Biopunk . . . Nyx really shines darkly.”
Bradley Horner, author of Darkside Earther

“The five novellas that make up Apocalypse Nyx are packed with more glare, grit, and snarl than a junkyard full of mutated jackals, landing their punches with all the tooth-loosening, hardhat-launching, lunchbox-swinging frankness of a noontime construction worker brawl. Hurley's world of mercenaries, magicians, blood, and bug guts is dusty enough that you can feel it grinding between your molars and insistent enough that it'll yank you by the collar and not let go, a no-frills hang-the-hell-on death-rattle-and-roll Keith Moon drum solo of staccato narrative bursts.”
—Bo Bolander, author of The Only Harmless Great Thing

“Nyx is back and just as good as ever. In this new collection of five novellas, Kameron Hurley serves up courses of crunchy action and intrigue, layered with tender character moments that bring real depth to this intense, unique world.”
—JY Yang, author of The Black Tides of Heaven and The Red Threads of Fortune

“Incorrigible and unapologetically heartless, Nyx is the bounty hunter to call when the stakes are high, the payouts are iffy, and the morality is optional.”
—Nicky Drayden, author of The Prey of Gods

“With Nyx, Hurley masterfully writes about a strong woman who is also a very broken human being—something women are rarely allowed to be.”
—Stina Leicht, author of And Blue Skies from Pain and Cold Iron

“There are no limits to the universe Ms. Hurley creates.”
Virdea

“If your favourite action TV series were distilled in book form, this would be it.
British Fantasy Society

“I devoured this book, and I’m pretty sure it ate a little piece of my heart, too.”
The Fantasy Inn

“Compelling and fast-paced, gruesome and titillating at turns, presenting an approach to gender and sexuality that is appalling but fascinating.”
Tor.com

“Kameron Hurley’s Apocalypse Nyx (Tachyon) is a welcome return to the adventures of the author’s iconic hard-fisted anti-heroine.”
Seattle Review of Books

“For all that God’s War was nominated for every award under the sun, I enjoyed this more: Nyx’s tempestuous life lends itself perfectly to discrete, action-packed episodes.”
Interzone

“Fans show up for the fatalistic prose, acid-tongued banter between hard-bitten mercenaries, over the top violence and female-centered action storytelling—Apocalypse Nyx delivers on all those fronts.”
Thousand Year Plan

“Nyx is a brilliantly imagined character.”
Strange Alliances

Praise for the Bel Dame Apocrypha

On God’s War

“Nyxnissa would quite clearly kick Conan's ass . . . Just what the genre ordered.”
Strange Horizons

“Are you frustrated with Mary Sue heroines? Well, here comes God's War to rock your face off . . . If you like rough, battle-scarred women who know how to regulate, you're going to love Nyx . . . she makes Han Solo look like a boy scout.”
io9

God's War is one of the most thought-provoking debuts I've read so far this year.”
Locus

God's War is a violent tale set against the backdrop of a centuries-old holy war. But beyond all the blood and violence, it's a beautifully crafted work of art that keeps astonishing you when you least expect it.”
Pat's Fantasy Hotlist

On Infidel

“Hurley’s world-building, vivid and blissfully free of infodumps and expository lumps, was one of the great strengths of God’s War, and it’s a pleasure to return to the fascinating and messed-up world she created—one especially enjoyable for its ethnically diverse cast and freewheeling remixes of traditional gender roles.”
Tor.com

Infidel is a fast-paced book with a lot of action and smart character moments, mixed with cynical battlefield philosophy. I highly recommend it.”

On Rapture

“Kameron Hurley is ferociously imaginative—with an emphasis on ferocious. She writes novels that are smart, dark, visceral and wonderfully, hectically entertaining.”
—Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls

“Edge-of-the-seat action set within a strange and alien world that’s the mutant child of Frank Herbert and Roger Zelazny. At her best, Hurley’s work rivals that of Gene Wolfe, and it burns like a drug in the mind long after you’ve finished it.”
—David J. Williams, author of The Mirrored Heavens

“[Nyxnissa] is gloriously self-possessed, repellently amoral, and thoroughly original. She is a woman in a man's grimdark world.

Praise for The Geek Feminist Revolution

“A call to arms for those who care about the future of science fiction and fantasy.”
—John Scalzi, author of Redshirts

“Kameron Hurley writes essays that piss people off, make them think, make them act. This is good stuff. Read it.”
—Kate Elliott, author of the Crown of Stars series

“Hurley’s essays are a beacon signaling to writers in the trenches that they’re not alone, and they’re not imagining how hard it is to push against the mainstream, or how the culture shoves back ten times harder.”
—K. Tempest Bradford

“Filled me with blistering hope and rage. Amazing collection.”
—Annalee Newitz, author of Autonomous

Praise for Apocalypse Nyx

Marketing Plan

• Promotion at major trade and genre conventions, including BEA, ALA, Readercon, Gencon, the International Conference for the Fantastic in the Arts, and the World Science Fiction and World Fantasy conventions

• Features, interviews, and reviews targeting literary and genre venues, including the Washington PostNPR, the Los Angeles TimesThe New York Times, the Chicago TribuneLocus, and the San Francisco Chronicle

• Author events/appearances to include Perth, Australia; Indianapolis, Indiana; Vail, Colorado; Ohio events in Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus

• Planned galley distribution and book giveaways to include NetGalley, Goodreads, Edelweiss, Tor.com, and additional online outlets

• Advertising and promotion in national print and via online outlets and social media

• Available Editions

PRICE CA$23.95 (CAD)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

If you've read Hurley's Bel Dame Apocrypha novels, you know what you're getting into with this collection of stories. If you haven't read them, imagine a non-superpowered Jessica Jones running a rather sketchy bounty hunter/mercenary crew made up of a magician, a shapeshifter, a comm tech, and a sniper. Oh, and this takes place on an alien planet full of insect-based technology where its inhabitants risk cancer--or worse--from the merciless binary suns and the pollution of chemical weapons deployed in a long-running holy war. Furthermore, the country in which these stories are set is a matriarchal one, because men are used as fodder for the war while women do all the leading and politicking.

The stories are all fun. Each involves the team taking on some difficult job that quickly goes sideways. The action is fast-paced and tightly plotted. There really isn't a dud in the bunch.

You don't have to have read the novels to read these stories. If you like grimdark fiction, I highly recommend these stories (and the novels). Even if you're not a fan of grimdark--I'm normally not--you may love the truly unique and colorful world in Hurley's Bel Dame Apocrypha series.

Apocalypse Nyx is exactly the kind of science fiction I like - it's dark, violent, and has, at its core, a deeply flawed heroine who is hard as steel and has whiskey running through her veins. Nyx is a gal that sees few problems that can't be solved with her scattergun, and is always a hairsbreadth away from cutting off all ties with those that work for her and, if she were a more emotionally accessible and less war-wounded woman, people she might even call friends if she were drunk enough. Nyx is rugged and mean, and this collection from Kameron Hurley serves as a wonderful introduction to the former assassin turned ultra-violent problem solver, particularly if, like me, you haven't read the Bel Dame Apocrypha series proper.

I believe most, if not all, of the stories collected within Apocalypse Nyx were initially written and published for Hurley's Patreon supporters prior to their publication by Tachyon in this single volume. Gathered here are five stories set within the original Bel Dame Apocrypha, but which do not require any prior reading. You might get more out of these stories, or welcome a reintroduction to Nyx and her world, if you've been following this character previously but it's also highly accessible to newcomers.

The world Hurley has created here is as intense as it is interesting. The alien desert world Nyx inhabits is caught up in perpetual war, and Nasheenians like her are drafted to fight against their rival, darker-skinned Chenjans. The ruling body is highly matriarchal, but also heavily influenced by Muslim doctrine, with daily routine calls for prayer and a plethora of masques. On the technology front, bugs are king. Society has adapted to and grown reliant on insect-based tech - beetles are ground up to power vehicles, and form a communications network based on pheromones and body colors. Even the bullet casings and walls are rooted in creative uses of various bug life.

Story-wise, Apocalypse Nyx has a welcoming stand-alone episodic structure to it (quick, somebody call Netflix!). Although the various jobs and missions Nyx and her crew take in order to stay solvent are unrelated, taken as a whole there is a decent, if minor, character arc at play binding these stories together. I suspect there's a deeper arc to Nyx across the main trilogy, but I also kind of suspect that Nyx may be too violent, introverted, alcoholic, and deeply set in her ways to grow too much. Besides, she's more interesting without the happily ever after, at least in this volume, and Nyx is the type of character that it's hard to even imagine a happy ending for anyway.

I've been wanting to read about Nyx for quite a long while now, but somehow never made room for her. I happy to have finally corrected that with Apocalypse Nyx, and I now feel a greater urgency in exploring the trilogy of novels focusing on her. After this book and Hurley's prior release, The Stars Are Legion, if I've learned anything it's that from here on out all new releases from Kameron Hurley are to automatically move to the top of my mountain of TBRs. Count me among the number of faithful converts, because I am officially a fan of Nyx. This lady is one serious bad-ass.

[Note: I received an advanced copy of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.]

I think these short stories would be a great place to start for someone who hasn't read any Nyx books. They give you an overview of the incredibly original world Hurley has created and Nyx and her team.
    But, as someone who has read all of them, I was excited to read more about Nyx and her team. I was not disappointed. We need more Nyx!

I had no idea, going into this book, that I was going to be reading a collection of short stories from an already established series. That being said, you don't need to have read the other books to enjoy this one.

This is an incredibly interesting world. Because all native men are required to be on the front for several years while the women are only required there for two years, it makes sense that the majority of the characters are strong women. When there are men, more often than not they're foreigners not required to sign up for the draft. There is bug-based magic and technology which, honestly, makes sense given how many bugs there seem to be. And the logic of the world feels very consistent.

Nyx is an incredibly kick-ass character, better at shooting than talking her way out, which is one of my favorite kind of protagonists. It's not that she has a heart of ice, rather she has a very calloused heart after all that she's had to see and endure. Her sniper, Anneke, is more of a wild kind of crazy, complete with a drug problem. Her magician, Rhys, is a Chenjan man who only puts up with Nyx because Chenjans don't have many options, but he maintains his religious devotions. Her tech, Taite, is a scrawny Ras Tiegan teenager. Her shifter, Khos, is a rather large Mhorian who is just about desperate for work. Together, they make for an entertaining team to read about.

Fair warning, this ain't a book for the faint of heart. It's a world where there is constant war, frequent sirens warning of bombardments, and bodies regrowing limbs just to be sent back to the front. And the way those limbs are regrown are somewhat stomach upsetting. This book has plenty of fun moments, but it is has a lot of darker ones. That last chapter ended on a heart-wrenching note.

That being said, I'm still gonna look into the other books of the series. 4 hoots!

Kameron Hurley is a master world builder and her characters are, as always, a great mix of fierce, funny, and well-rounded. I didn't realize this was part of a larger series, so I was a little hamstrung in that regard, and yet I still felt like I grasped the plot for the most part--a single-volume compartmentalization that not all SFF writers are very good at. I'm looking forward...to going backward to read the rest.

Kameron Hurley delivers with this set of five novellas from the Bel Dame Apocrypha series. Each of them centers around Nyx, who is--well--Nyx.

The book follows the various jobs that Nyx and her crew take on. Mainly, though, the focus is on Nyx herself as she struggles with a leadership role.

To put it lightly, Nyx is not the easiest person to love. She is almost completely selfish. For example, in one scene a crew member saves someone's life and leaves something valuable behind; Nyx berates them for not getting the valuables first and going back to see if the person was still alive. She is incredibly stubborn and gives off a vibe that she doesn't really care about the majority of her crew as individual people. She just cares that she has a crew. Yet Nyx is competent and acknowledges were weaknesses. Doing something about her shortcomings, though? Nah. And while she will leave a crew member to die if it benefits her in the short run, she still does depend on them. Her character is excellently written, along with the others.

Another positive about this book is how it incorporates grimdark and new weird elements (bugpunk, for example) seamlessly in the world. Nyx's moral seems to be, "A job is a job. If it pays well, take it." The world is full of morally grey characters. Nyx might be extreme, but her crew isn't innocent either. And despite the perspective being mainly hers, the other characters are still well developed.

A minor issue is that parts of the stories felt a little too slow. This will vary with taste, of course. However, these few sections (in the entire book) slightly threw off the pacing for me. I found it tended to happen just after the job was accepted but before the job actually started. Like I said, this is a minor issue.

I confess that I haven't yet read God's War, so perhaps I spoiled myself for something there. However, I truly feel that this collection stands on its own very well. I devoured this book, and I'm pretty sure it ate a little piece of my heart, too.

[I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

What makes this book different from all others? As a reader of science fiction it is unusual that powerful female take the lead. In today's society a female assassin bounty hunter with a rag tag bunch of soldiers cutting their way through a bug infested post apocalyptic world. Even if said woman has sold sold off many of her body parts.
    Love the idea and creation of this world. It reminds me of Starship Troopers . With a smart bug out there we need all citizens to do their part.

Nyx was a soldier. Nyx was a government backed assassin and bounty hunter. Now she works for herself with her own rag-tag team making a living in the grim, war-torn land of Nasheen

Life isn’t good, a centuries long war has turned Nasheen pretty apocalyptic and winning is surviving to see the next day - and maybe earning enough money to drink enough not to remember yesterday

This book with all its short stories is gritty with a capital grit. At many points in the story I expected something - I expected Nyx to soften, I expected her to see her crew as more like family, I expected her to see her to melt towards Rhys especially.

But everything about this is gritty, dark and messy. There’s no love, there’s just the release of casual sex. There’s no companionship - there’s just people Nyx works with (and that grudgingly) and every time we feel like we’re getting closer to something more

I say all this not as a criticism of the book, or even as a warning but as a clear depiction of what the book is. And in some ways it’s unique for it. I’ve read a lot of books that bring in the melodramatic grimdark, usually with lots of rape and torture for the sheer gratuitous purpose. But few pull off the gritty, certainly unrelenting gritty, gritty without some bright sparks, gritty without some sense of a happy ending or a happy moment or something. For unrelenting grimdark, this book works and is just perfect for it

This works because this is the world that Nyx lives in, this world far from Earth but clearly colonised but Earth people, this world where two nations have been at war for generations, a brutal horrific war complete with weapons of mass destruction used with such regularity that they have become a normal part of everyone’s day, with a border where the atrocities have piled up so much that mounds of bodies just don’t even feature. We have a state, Nasheen, where large branches of quasi law enforcement are dedicated to little more than hunting down deserters from the devastating wars, where we have people bred expressly for that war and conscription that consumes entire lives

On top of this we have both the grittiness of the war - chemicals, weapons, violence etc, but also the dangerous nature of the world itself with its multiple suns and high cancer rates which translates into some really strong messages on class divide as the poor obviously can’t spend time inside behind filters so they are susceptible to skin lesions and cancer - while the rich have smooth skin that is saved from the touch of the sun

In this we have Nyx, a deeply unlikeable character… which is perfect. Why should she be likeable? She’s a war veteran from a war that has destroyed her country from before she was even born. She’s been destroyed, remade, suffered immense trauma, watched many people around her die, been on an array of missions most of which have not exactly gone well, worked some rather unsavoury professions. She’s led a terribly traumatic, awful life, in a terrible traumatic, awful world: why would she be nice or pleasant or likable? Why would she even care about these things? It would break this whole theme, world and story if she were a woman with hope and positivity or had somehow managed to come through all of this still shiny would completely change the whole tone of the book. Even as Nyx has regrets and moments of guilt she drowns them in alcohol and so many times I think she’s so close to making the kinder choice…

We also have a really really fascinating world, a mix of sci-fi and magic - and the whole idea of magic involving insects and the way this works with technology and the general blending of it into society is incredibly well done (and I love that, i love how magic/sci-fi elements are not just used for the big showy stuff but also work for the day to day lives of everyone in the world, fascinating and just makes me want to investigate more of this world and kinda poke the author with a stick - because how do you even come up with this? *poke poke*.

On top of this we have a fascinatingly diverse world. Nearly everyone in this book are POC, though they are not on Earth and direct analogues are not easy, it feels Nasheen is made up of people of Middle Eastern Descent (including Nyx herself) while the country they’re at war with, Chejan (Rhys’s nation) are Black people. We have other nations mentioned which don’t feature prominently but there’s also an interesting addressing of mixed-race characters and how they meld or adopt different aspects of their nations cultures. I also appreciate that, even with the short story format, there is still some really excellent world building of these related nations. This is also reflected in the clothing - Nyx most often wears burnouse and dhoti.

The primary religion of both the warring nations is Islam - or Islam based - with characters who have varying degrees of faithfulness and adherence: from Rhys who doesn’t drink and observes the daily prayers and Nyx’s sister who covers (but it’s also intriguing how Islam has adapted to their new world - like covering is not as much about modesty as it is about not being seared by the powerful suns. I like how culture and faith are still very recognisable but alien planets and shores and the passing of time have also shifted things

The culture of Nasheen is also very matriarchal - I don’t that’s a positive feminist thing intentionally here but part of the tragedy of this country mired in war. Men literally spend decades in the military from at least the age of 16 while women spend less time in the military inevitably leaving civilian society with few men in it. From heads of families, to Imams to teams of mercenaries, to the infamous Belle Dames, to police are all women. Most commonly any male characters, including men on Nyx’s team, are non-Nasheenian, exempt from the draft but as foreigners in a society that isn’t exactly welcoming to foreigners, not having high rank or influence.

Nyx is a bisexual woman and highly sexual - and not shy about it. She’s definitely not a blink-and-you-miss-it-portrayal: she has sexual encounters with men and women, she isn’t shy about her desires or when she’s feeling horny. It is bleak and depressing and often merges with her general gritty awfulness with sex being a relief or an escape which usually happens when she’s drunk. But, then, nearly everything happens when Nyx is drunk and everything she does is depressing and grittily awful: this is Nyx, her sex life is not now or ever going to be sunshine. A number of the other women we meet are lesbian and bisexual - and not just because they are sexually connected to Nyx - which is also something which is unusual. A lot of the time when we have one LGBTQ character they’re either the only one or any other LGBTQ character introduced is basically there to be a romantic or sexual interest (because LGBTQ characters need a purpose or reason for existing rather than just being characters). There’s also one minor trans character and one probably minor non-binary character (I think they’re intended to be non-binary and Nyx refers to them mentally by “they” pronouns, but the way it’s written she never says this aloud and she’s only assumed non-binary because Nyx herself can’t actually discern gender which isn’t exactly how someone being non-binary works).

In all - I love this world, I love these stories… I… don’t love these characters. That’s fine, I’m not supposed to love Nyx. It’s fascinating to read, and at times quite fun to read but also very gritty and grim. I love this book and want to read all the books in it for the whole series. I also don’t want to read them back to back because the perfect, unrelenting grimness of it may make for hard reading book after book.

This collection of short stories is set in the Bel Dame Apocrypha World. There is an entire series that I haven’t read. I don’t want to spoil to much of the main books for myself, but from what I could gather these are set in between the events of the main books. Even though I went in knowing nothing of the world or the previous stories, Hurley doesn’t throw you into the deep end, you quickly get a feel for the world. After all the very first line of the first story gives you a real sense of the type of world our girl Nyx is inhabiting.

I loved getting to know Nyx and her team. She is unapologetically herself. She is highly trained, willing to sacrifice her team and when the girl wants to get laid, we all know its going to happen. She has experienced a lot in her short (but long by the world’s standard) life. She has been to war, she has been broken, she has been put back together, trained as an assassin, spent a year in prison and built herself a reputation as someone you don’t want to fuck with.

These stories have betrayal, magic, romance, violence, weird creepy bugs, whisky and a whole heap of sass. If you are unsure if Kameron Hurley is for you, try this collection. There are five stories of varying length and detail, all of them are well written, bringing this war ravaged land to life.

Interesting world building along with characters that fit. This is a good post-apocalypse story with a interesting plot and great edge of your seat action.

These novellas are ... well, they're weird. They are capital "W" WEIRD AS FUDGE. Sludge. Bio-punk urban fantasy sludge. They're light, they're fun, they're set in a world which is implicitly matriarchal. They're the light, dark, gritty, fun follow-up to "The Stars Are Legion" that you never knew you needed, but you oh-so-definitely do.

Oh, and they're full of bugs. SO MANY BUGS.

This collection of five novellas in Apocalypse Nyx is based on and uses some of the characters developed for the Bel Dame Apocrypha Trilogy. They especially - feature isn’t a strong enough word - so, star, Nyxnissa so Dasheem one of the crankiest, orneriest, drunkest, most miserable heroines ever invented. Need I say that I adore her?

I encountered the first and also the longest story, The Body Project, when it was made available on the net in 2018. I literally swallowed it whole, and found myself wishing the Kameron would give us another entire book of Nyx – soon. The following three here, The Heart is Eaten Last, Southbound and Crossroads at Jannah follow a pattern familiar to Nyx-fans. Nyx is talked into or finds some reason to agree to a ridiculous and dangerous job, which is certain to, and almost does, get her and her team killed, or covered in disgusting, smelly mire. In the process, copious numbers of bugs, bullets, blasts, bad language and farting bakkies (a form of transportation unique to Nyx-world) are stubbed out or otherwise disposed of.

In the fifth story, Paint it Red, her team are all away for the night. Nyx allows herself to be talked into going on a job with an unknown team because it’s better, she reasons, than spending the night alone drinking. In doing so, she’s confronted with several truths that she has been trying ever so hard to ignore. Especially, what does it mean to have and be a friend. Don’t expect the answer to this to be all touchy-feely. These are Nyx stories, where with all the amazing world building and awesome numbers of bugs and ways to kill people, virtually all saccharine sentimentality has been meticulously scraped away.

It can be sometimes a puzzlement to understand why her team members stay with her, but for the most part, failing death or serious dismemberment, they do. In these stories, Nyx has acquired four new employees: Rhys a Chenjan magician (In Nyx-world, that is one who can make bugs do funny things), Anneke, her sharp-shooting, weapons loving, marks-person, Taite her com tech, a nerdy teenager who is nonetheless a hacking whiz, and Kos, a big in all the right places Mhorian with a mane of yellow dreadlocks, who is a shifter. These are all wonderfully realised and somehow, despite the outrageous environment, totally believable creations. Need I mention the world building as always is awesome.

There are some who might find the violence, diversity, Islamic religion and bugs a bit much to stomach. For them, these stories could provide a gentler introduction. For me, I love it all and can’t wait until Kameron gives us MORE NYX! 5*****.

If you've never read anything by Hurley, I assure you, by page 15 you will stop and say "WHOA, who is this author and what rock have I been under that I haven't had the pleasure? Why have my book lover friends not told me about her?!?!" Hurley has something pretty amazing on her hands here, I hope there will be a movie or tv series eventually, although you really don't need it. Even the most dull imagination becomes well lit with her amazing work building. Thanks Netgalley for being the friend my fellow book lovers were not and introducing me to this amazing author! Hurley, accept me into your legion because the worlds you build are AMAZING! This month our book order will be HUGE!

Apocalypse Nyx takes us into the world of Hurley’s Belle Dame Apocrypha series, giving us glimpses of the hardened, masterful character across five equally impressive novellas. I haven’t read the original trilogy, and feel like this is a great introduction to Nyx. Each story is filled with fight scenes, puzzles and the dynamics of a team with vastly different backgrounds and belief systems. The novella format fits the material perfectly, giving you a chance to meet the characters fully amidst shorter plots. I strongly recommend the collection, both for newbies and for existing fans.

Full review at: https://reviewsandrobots.com/2018/12/10/apocalypse-nyx-book-review/

Apocalypse Nyx
    by Kameron Hurley
    Tachyon Publications
    Multicultural Interest , Sci Fi & Fantasy
    Hurley is a genius in creating believable worlds down to a mote. These stories are related to a series apparently of a female mercenary/assassin and her group set in a future set of worlds with a strong feminist line where the women are definitely on top. While I really enjoyed these stories in this book on one hand there was something seriously disturbing on the other. As women and the original matriarchal societies were in many ways better and then to once again reach beyond that pint for the future one would hope we would grow beyond the lowest denominators biggest faults of a patriarchal society be it mentality,greed, criminal activity or on a larger scale wars and subjugation of other peoples. While the delight at the detail of this world wrapped me up the main character was not my favorite and led me to once against question why so many futuristic scenarios put down will show the same downfalls that the present holds, why women can't be ass kicking for good & triumph and not have the negative attribute of their male counterparts instead of showing the benefit of being female. I think if nothing else [which there was so much to love] I truly enjoyed Black Panther movie because it gave us strong and hopeful women and scenarios. This world put forth while well written and engrossing is something I hope we would learn better from now rather than continue the same road regardless of who is in charge. Just something to ponder with an added point: if you love sci fi this is a must and will probably now look up & read the series as I want more

Fantastic environment! The characterization had you from the start! And The plot never slowed down. Will be reading more of this author in the near future!

You can't beat Nyx for some hard-boiled sci-fi thrill rides. Things never seem to go her way but she gets there in the end. If you like the God's War trilogy then you'll love this — a series of short adventures that throw you straight back into the mad, bug-filled sand storm of Nyx's life.

Kameron Hurley is a master in writing skills. This short stories actually are a great entrance gate for her thicker books. And I just love Nyx!!