The Strange Life of Brandon Chambers

Pub Date 01 May 2018 | Archive Date 30 Jun 2018

Talking about this book? Use #TheStrangeLifeOfBrandonChambers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Paranormal Thriller

Ten-year-old Brandon Chambers is suddenly thrust into a national scandal when his father, a top-ranking captain in the U.S. Army, is implicated in a tragic explosion on the army base while spearheading a top-secret weapons project. During the aftermath, both his parents are labeled as traitors, and he’s haunted by visions he can’t understand.

Brandon struggles through adolescence and college, still troubled by hallucinations that are also witnessed by others, leading him to believe that someone—or something—is deliberately laying clues in his path. Doggedly pursuing one clue at a time, Brandon seeks the answers.

The Strange Life of Brandon Chambers is available for purchase in both print and ebook formats.

Paranormal Thriller

EDITION Paperback

Strange indeed! And I mean that in a very good way! It took a little while for me to get totally into this story, but once I did I was all in! This was a very unique story idea and I loved Brandon as a character. I often find myself gravitating towards books that have a special(strange/weird) little twist to them and this one was amazing! I can't recommend it enough!

I picked this up based on the strange cover and it was a good read. The plot was unique and interesting. It kept me reading until the end. I would recommend it to others.

The writing style in this book is not what I am used to, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. It jumps forward through time as Brandon grows and circumstances change. The book is always in third-person and time moves quickly. Where I do feel improvements could be made is in describing how Brandon feels about things a little better. You move so quickly through events and his life but by the end of it I didn't find myself caring all that much about him. There wasn't any connection for me. It felt like it sped right past any moment that could be emotional at all. The book ends in a very different place from where it starts. If you are into a book with a slow build into an action sequence I would say that this is for you. If you are like me and not so into the action then I would give this book a miss. Other than the lack of connection I felt to most of the characters I feel it was well written. In my opinion, it would have made a pretty decent movie.

From a young age Brandon Chambers has been seeing things: people in his house, hares with gas masks. But suddenly these visions aren't important: there is a huge biological explosion at the base his father is working on. In the aftermath, his father takes responsibility and Brandon is bullied at school. But life just gets worse: his parents disappear and he is made to live with an army sergeant who treats him like one of his underlings. Brandon struggles through this life while dealing with visions. In an effort he starts studying psychology, but that doesn't prepare him for the truth of his visions. The book is compelling and fast paced. I always wanted to know more and was less interested in his studies because I knew psychology was not the answer. Following Brandon's life gets tedious though, chapters skip around. One chapter can be now and then three weeks later. Even ones in a short time span very rarely flow which made me feel almost like I was reading several novella in one. Even though I didn't like the disjointed feeling, I enjoyed the plot and was fascinated but the science fiction it presented.