Plant Combinations for an Abundant Garden

Design and Grow a Fabulous Flower and Vegetable Garden

Pub Date 13 May 2019 | Archive Date 09 Sep 2019
Fox Chapel Publishing, Creative Homeowner

Talking about this book? Use #FoxChapelPublishing #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Packed with practical advice from leading cultivation specialists, this concise, easy-to-use book covers virtually every aspect of garden design and maintenance—from choosing a plot to selecting plants, maximizing space, and building raised beds.

Plant Combinations for an Abundant Garden shows how to create productive gardens by selecting the perfect plant combinations. A comprehensive plant directory provides handy information on summer-flowering annuals, herbaceous perennials, shrubs, small trees, climbers, water plants, bamboos, culinary herbs, fruits and vegetables.

Practical advice and step-by-step instructions are included for building up layers of soil with mushroom compost, covering weeds with mulch, protecting plants with nets and plastic and much more.

With more than 300 gorgeous color photographs, illustrations and diagrams, this book is a must for busy gardeners everywhere!

EDITION Paperback

Send To Kindle (PDF)

A wonderfully, well-developed, all-encompassing gardening book. This, to me, describes "Plant Combinations for an Abundant Garden". Well-written and with detailed information and photos, this book is sure to be used by both novice and expert alike. A wealth of information that can easily be located for any type of situation. The book is divided into sections. The first section is about knowing where to plant (introduction to gardening), the second section talks about the construction of a garden (permanent fixtures and borders), the third section is garden design (different styles). The next sections are no-dig gardening, plant types, and then tips and care. I would recommend this book to all gardening enthusiasts, including novices who would like to get into gardening.

Being a plant lover , i enjoyed reading about various plant combinations to grow...... A wonderful for plant lovers...

This book is a well laid book on starting a suburban garden. The advise is very practical and the designs are traditionally based, which makes it a very good book for beginners and easy care gardeners. There is instructions on fencing, lawn, beds, decking, verandas, porches and paths design. The section on garden style is good and show how to adapt the original base to various looks such as Japanese, cottage, modern, courtyard and more. I like the section on organic gardening, including set up and information on growing many vegetables. Of course there is lots of information on growing and care of other plants for the garden. A good book for the practical landscaper

When i do manage to put a book down, i love to spend time in the garden. Last year we decided to re design our garden, experimenting with colour and various other combinations. I was so pleased to have had the opportunity to read this book, as it has given us plenty of new ideas and advice. What i also found useful in this book was a chapter about paths and path constructions. Mine certainly needs attention! There is so much useful information in this book with beautiful colour photographs and plenty of diagrams. I can highly recommend this book to all who enjoy their gardens. One of the best gardening books that i have read for some time. My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.

Reading the title of this book, Plant Combinations For An Abundant Garden, I thought that the scope of the book would be more limited, that it would just have some ideas about what plants to combine together in a garden. But, the book covered way more than that. It is a comprehensive gardening guide perfect for a beginning gardener, and also good for someone more knowledgeable. First it discusses the inspiration for your garden, then how to make a plan of your yard on paper, what tools you need to start the work, the prep work you need to do on site, and the order in which to do this. Then it reviews all the things you might put in your garden besides plants, i.e. walls, fences, hedges, gates, patios, decks, paths, steps, lights, garden buildings and more! My favourite part of the book was the next section, all about different garden designs. Some examples are: a cottage kitchen garden, water garden, Mediterranean garden, formal English garden, secluded city garden, Japanese garden, container garden, wild garden, rock garden, herb garden, et cetera. Included in each section were sample plans for each of these kinds of gardens, and the kinds of plants that would go well in each one. Then, there was growing information for many kinds of plants – annuals, biennials, perennials, fruits and vegetables. If your yard is a blank slate right now and you want to transform it into something more, this book is perfect for you. It has everything you need. Note: I received an advance copy of this book through NetGalley.

This book is easy to read and easy to use. It gives step by step instructions on how to properly build the best place for growing and protect the garden you plant. My grandmother was an avid gardener and taught me most of what I know about gardening today. She grew mainly flowers so this book was great at opening my eyes to how to better grow fruits, veggies, and herbs. I can not wait for summer to get more plants growing and utilize this book even more.

An interested and useful book for people who are interested in gardening. I liked the clear and detailed explanations and the instructions for different types of garden and plants. Very useful and highly recommended. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC