Murder by Matchlight

A British Library Crime Classic

Pub Date 05 Mar 2019 | Archive Date 05 Mar 2019

Talking about this book? Use #MurderByMatchlight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"A terrifically atmospheric puzzler…the ending is a stunner…like the best Golden Age crime fiction." —Booklist Starred review

'"A man who played about on the fringes of the Black Market, who had fought for Sinn Fein, who lived by his wits—and who finally became dangerous to somebody and was knocked over the head in the blackout. It may prove to be a sordid story, but I certainly find it an interesting one."'

London, 1945. The capital is shrouded in the darkness of the blackout, and mystery abounds in the parks after dusk.

During a stroll through Regent's Park, Bruce Mallaig witnesses two men acting suspiciously around a footbridge. In a matter of moments, one of them has been murdered; Mallaig's view of the assailant but a brief glimpse of a ghastly face in the glow of a struck match.

The murderer's noiseless approach and escape seems to defy all logic, and even the victim's identity is quickly thrown into uncertainty. Lorac's shrewd yet personable C.I.D. man MacDonald must set to work once again to unravel this near-impossible mystery.

'"A man who played about on the fringes of the Black Market, who had...

Advance Praise

“A terrifically atmospheric puzzler…the ending is a stunner…like the best Golden Age crime fiction.” Booklist Starred review

“This fair-play puzzle will be a welcome treat for golden age fans.” Publishers Weekly

“This fair-play puzzle will be a welcome treat for golden age fans.” ...

EDITION Paperback

I love Ms Lorac books and I think this the best I read so far. It's full of twists, turns, red herrings and keeps you guessing till the end. I was happy to meet again Chief Inspector MacDonald and follow him while he solves the mystery. It's a very intriguing and enthralling plot, I read it in two setting and couldn't let it down. The historical setting is very interesting as it pictures London during the Blitz and gives a lively and realistic picture of what should have been living under the bombs. I hope to read other books by this author soon. Highly recommended! Many thanks to Poisoned Pen Press for this ARC