Welcoming the Unwelcome

Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World

Pub Date 08 Oct 2019 | Archive Date 08 Oct 2019

Talking about this book? Use #WelcomingTheUnwelcome #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the bestselling author of When Things Fall Apart, an open-hearted call for human connection, compassion, and learning to love the world just as it is during these most challenging times.

In her first new book of spiritual teachings in over seven years, Pema Chödrön offers a combination of wisdom, heartfelt reflections, and the signature mix of humor and insight that have made her a beloved figure to turn to during times of change. In an increasingly polarized world, Pema shows us how to strengthen our abilities to find common ground, even when we disagree, and influence our environment in positive ways. Sharing never-before told personal stories from her remarkable life, simple and powerful everyday practices, and directly relatable advice, Pema encourages us all to become triumphant bodhisattvas--compassionate beings--in times of hardship.

Welcoming the Unwelcome includes teachings on the true meaning of karma, recognizing the basic goodness in ourselves and the people we share our lives with--even the most challenging ones, transforming adversity into opportunities for growth, and freeing ourselves from the empty and illusory labels that separate us. Pema also provides step-by-step guides to a basic sitting meditation and a compassion meditation that anyone can use to bring light to the darkness we face, wherever and whatever it may be.

In her...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Pema is brilliant in her own way, and this book provides some great guidance. It includes helping create ongoing perspective by asking "does it matter?". It also covers topics like awareness and ego. With her usual stories and humor she give solid suggestions and practical wisdom. Highly recommended. I really appreciate the ARC for review!!

Another wise and wonderful book by one of our most beloved authors. The information here is profound and transformative and I am deeply honored to be one of the first to partake of it and to begin to digest it all. Welcoming that which we don’t want in our lives is not an easy thing although the rewards are great and ripple ever outward. Pema’s New book shows us how and holds our hand through the process. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Pema Chodron is a fabulous author that has written some wonderful books. Welcoming the Unwelcome is one of her best books and she has such great insights. This is a great present for people.

(Digital ARC provided by Shambhala Publications via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review) WOW- Before I write a long review or try to add quotations that I shouldn’t share because the final edition hasn’t been released yet, I want to firmly say that I fully believe that if you read anything by Pema Chodron, let it be this. Welcoming the Unwelcome has helped me think critically and view the world and the mind in new ways. I loved the section at the end of the book that explains practices that are mentioned throughout the book such as use Tonglen and L. E. S. R.