A Secret History of Christianity

Jesus, the Last Inkling, and the Evolution of Consciousness

Pub Date 30 Aug 2019 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2019
John Hunt Publishing Ltd, Christian Alternative Books

Talking about this book? Use #AsecretHistoryOfChristianity #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What has been lost is the secret of Christianity, that mystical truth so easily stated but so hard to grasp, namely, that human life springs from God's.

Advance Praise

“Mark Vernon rescues Owen Barfield from undeserved obscurity in the shadows of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis but in the process does so much more than that. He lifts our eyes, expands our horizons and reintroduces imagination into our shared religious life. We are richer for reading him – and Barfield – and listening carefully to what they have to say.” Nick Spencer, Senior Fellow, Theos, and author of The Evolution of the West

"At a time when the outer forms of Christianity seem to be in a state of exhaustion and confusion, he recalls us to an inner experience of Christ, a call to transformation of both vision and consciousness." Malcolm Guite, Poet and author of Mariner: A Voyage with Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Mark Vernon provides fresh insights into the role of Judaism, ancient Greek philosophy, Jesus Christ, Church history, mysticism and imagination in the evolution of Western consciousness. His book gives an intriguing new perspective on where we are today. A brilliant overview." Rupert Sheldrake, PhD, biologist and author of The Science Delusion

Marketing Plan

Mark Vernon is a writer, commentator and psychotherapist, contributing to and presenting programmes on BBC radio, as well as writing for the national and religious press, and online publications like Aeon. He has a PhD in ancient Greek philosophy, and other degrees in physics and in theology, having studied at Durham, Oxford and Warwick universities. He is the author of several previous books, including /The Meaning of Friendship/ (Palgrave Macmillan), /God: The Big Questions/ (Quercus), and /The Idler Guide to Ancient Philosophy/ (Idler Books). He used to be an Anglican priest. For more information see www.markvernon.com.

EDITION Paperback