The Mercenary Code

The Shattering of Kingdoms, Book 1

Pub Date 16 May 2019 | Archive Date 10 Jun 2019

Talking about this book? Use #TheMercenaryCode #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Break the Code. Shatter the World.

During this same period, the mystical caretakers of the Great Wood retreated from the world of Kal Maran, their disappearance an ominous harbinger of the suffering that was to follow. The Great Wood now grows out of control. Cities, towns, and villages have fallen before the relentless march of the forest. Without the former guardians to keep her tame, the wood has become a place of peril, and dark creatures of legend now hunt beneath its leaves.

The summer season is now a time of armed conflict. The fall of the old monarchy has brought about a ceaseless cycle of combat. Grievances are settled by the strict tenets of a binding Mercenary Code and the men who would die to preserve its honour.

However, change is in the air. Political rivalries have escalated, and dire rumblings of a revolution abound. Thrust to the forefront of the shattered land's politics, a mercenary fights for more than just riches. In the north, a borderland soldier wrestles with his own demons and looks to find his true purpose. And in the shadow of the Great Wood, a young man's chance encounter with a strange visitor gives hope to a land divided.

The Mercenary Code is available for purchase in print and ebook formats.

Break the Code. Shatter the World.

PRICE

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Publishing Date: May 2019 Publisher: Emmet Moss ISBN: 9781093861358 Genre: Fantasy Rating: 4.4/5 Publisher’s Description: Centuries ago, the murder of a beloved king tore apart the Kingdom of Caledun. The land was plunged into chaos and thousands perished in the aftermath. A new order was established in an attempt to return Caledun to its former glory. It failed, but in its place rose the beginnings of the Code. Review: This novel has quite a bit going on in terms of several separate story lines that seem to slowly converge. Each story is unique as it covers the expanse of the world in which it resides. The characters that ride each story line are impeccably built as are the supporting players, each with their own unique perspectives. The evil that lurks on the periphery is a menace that continues to exert more and more influence as the novel progresses. This slow build creates tension that emotionally binds the reader to the characters creating intense immersion via visualization. I enjoyed the “other” beings that reside in this world and would have liked to have seen more of the Dwarven story told. The Gath, Goblins and Earth Fiends are superbly written as are the Gorimn. What kept this novel from ascending to 5 star status was Kieri. The installation of the twembling damsel (hooker with a heart of gold) whom casts furtive glances towards her one love, Leoric, wore pretty thin. She doesn’t know Leoric yet constantly gets them all in deep shjt with their unrequited love. So while being banged for quite awhile by Joram, the camp snitch, she suddenly fights him off from having sex with her so she can bear the child that is Leoric’s. Really? A really well crafted and thought out novel that continues on in a series. Hopefully without Kieri, but that is a wish not to be realized, as it is mentioned over and over that Leoric will find her again. Barf. A long novel that beckons each evening. So settle in and enjoy.

After reading A Game of Thrones I really wanted to read another book in the same vein of fantasy, which lead me to this. Although it failed to hook me from the start, I became engrossed from the second chapter onward. Looking back, I could chalk that up to the fact that I started reading this while tired and in a noisy environment. While reading, I noticed a few similarities to A Game of Thrones regarding the world layout. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s a bad thing because this book isn’t a retelling of the same story and does have many differences. Personally, I saw it as one author taking inspiration from another. I don’t know if this is what actually happened or it’s just a normal trope of the genre, but I liked it. I can honestly say I enjoyed this book. The characters are really developed, the world is diverse, and the story is interesting. I didn’t feel bored at any point and probably could have finished the book in a day if life didn’t get in the way. The one criticism I have is that I can’t read the second book in the series because it’s not out yet (I guess that’s not really a fault on this book, but I want more of the story). The second book does come out fall of this year, according to the author note at the end of the book, so the wait isn’t terrible. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed A Game of Thrones or enjoys fantasy. Suggested Reads: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin 5/5 I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley and am leaving a completely honest review.

Full review forthcoming................................................................................................................................................

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with the ARC. I was so excited to get approved for this ARC! I love science fiction and fantasy books and this book sounded great! The writing style, characters, world, everything I thought was a hit for me. Will read more from this author in the future.