Dear Mr. President

Pub Date 17 Sep 2019 | Archive Date 15 Oct 2019

Talking about this book? Use #DearMrPresident #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sam has to share a room with his disruptive and all-around undesirable big brother, and he is NOT happy about it. One night, when Sam hears about the president’s plans to build a border wall, it inspires what Sam thinks is a perfectly reasonable solution to his own problem: he needs to build a wall, too.

Told as a series of letters addressed to the president, the story shows Sam working through his thoughts and feelings about his plan to build a dividing wall in his bedroom. He debates pros and cons, learns about other walls built through the ages, and slowly comes around to a new perspective as he begins to see that the best solutions involve communication, compromise, and negotiating ways to make things work.

With an undertone of subtle humor, this story is at once a simple tale about a common gripe of siblinghood and a modern fable sure to spark conversations about tolerance, learning to live with others, and the importance of recognizing other points of view.

Send To Kindle (PDF)

HA! I loved this book! It gave me a good laugh! As an only child I didn't have this issue, but boy. oh. boy, did I know the sibs that did! Families were much larger when I was growing up. I have no idea how 3 , or even 4 brothers shared a room in peace- or even the same number girls! I remember how friends always complained about older/younger sisters/brothers/ stealing their stuff, getting in the way, being annoying... I never envied them. But this story, told in letter form to the current POTUS is hilarious! trump wants his was all badly as Sam wants to build his! Illustrations were a hoot! Kids and their caregivers are going to laugh out loud reading this!

I loved this book. I love that it showed a child’s perspective of “building a wall”. So many times , I’ve heard children repeat hateful remarks heard by the nation’s role models and this book showed how a child could perceive it. I loved the format of the book and the growth in both boys throughout.

Unfortunately in this time period of history, many of us are being asked extremely difficult questions by little ones. This particular book breaks down the subject of "the wall" in ways a child can understand, along with many opportunities for further questions and discussions. For the adults, it just may open some eyes to what children are taking from what they're hearing in the news, community, and even their own homes. Highly recommended! Note: If you strongly support the wall, this book is not for you. .