Outsmart Your Anxious Brain

Outsmart Anxiety, Fear, and Panic

Pub Date 26 Mar 2020 | Archive Date 15 Jan 2020

Talking about this book? Use #OutsmartYourAnxiousBrain #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It's time to outsmart your worry and anxiety. Drawing on the same cutting-edge psychology presented in author David Carbonell's The Worry Trick, this irreverent, on-the-go guide offers ten powerful"counter-intuitive" strategies to help you put worry in its place-anytime, anywhere.

Anxiety is a powerful force. It makes us question our decisions and ourselves, worry about the future, and it fills our days with dread and emotional turbulence. But what if we understood that anxiety is merely a trick of the mind, trying to convince us we're in danger? Anxiety is like a magician behind the curtain, playing subtle tricks on us to convince us that we're in danger when we're not. When we understand this, we can observe our anxious feelings with some distance.

Based on the author's popular book, The Worry Trick, this helpful and humorous guide identifies the "trick" of chronic anxiety, and provides the ten most powerful techniques based in acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to help you respond differently to panic, anxiety, worry, and phobias. Once you learn to respond differently to the worry trick, you'll be able to break the cycle of chronic anxiety forgood.

Instead of trying to "manage" your anxiety or push anxious thoughts away-techniques that you've probably already discovered don't work-the ten powerful strategies outlined in this guide will empower you to actually change how you respond to worry and anxiety, so you can get your life back!

Advance Praise

“Whether you have social anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic attacks, or another form of anxiety, David Carbonell effortlessly explains the common culprit in all anxiety disorders in this essential read. Sprinkled with good humor, practical analogies, and real-life examples, he offers strategic tips that challenge your worries and change your anxious mind-set. A must-read based on empirical evidence for anyone looking to outsmart the anxiety tornado from wrecking your mental wellness.”
 —Jenny C. Yip, PsyD, ABPP, founder and clinical psychologist at the Renewed Freedom Center for Rapid Anxiety Relief in Los Angeles, CA; and author of Productive, Successful YOU!

“Another gem of a book from David Carbonell. He writes with such wisdom and clarity, using delightful and memorable metaphors to help you outsmart your anxiety. He presents ten simple yet profound ways to get your life back. I highly recommend this book!”
 —Jennifer Shannon, LMFT, author of Don’t Feed the Monkey Mind