Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #TheWayoftheMonk #NetGalley
Take the wheel of your life with monastic wisdom teachings from a surprisingly modern source.
“There is a traffic jam within our minds. That traffic jam is stopping each one of us from reaching our true potential. Imagine if we knew how to clear this disruption. No fumes of insecurity causing us to cough, no one honking at us, distracting us from what’s important, and plenty of fuel to sustain us so that we can live a life worth living.” —Gaur Gopal Das
What can a member of a Mumbai ashram offer the modern world? As it turns out, quite a bit. In The Way of the Monk, Gaur Gopal Das reveals that contemporary monastic life is far from our dour, isolated conception of it—and still has keen insights to share.
Das presents a guide to navigating some of life’s most fundamental questions. How can we achieve peace when the world is so full of noise and conflict? How do we learn to let go of attachment when consumer culture constantly tells us that we are unfulfilled? How can we embody love when our interactions with others are so fraught with old wounds and misunderstanding?
Das writes from the perspective of a trusted friend, weaving tales he’s encountered over the years into a single, overarching teaching story. Here, you will learn:
· Why the keys to life’s central challenges have been known for thousands of years
· The four “wheels” of behavior that support health, balance, and satisfaction
· How to stop and appreciate life’s most beautiful aspects
· The value of surrendering to the form of the moment
· The many ways of honoring and connecting with the divine
· Why service and selflessness are at the heart of a fulfilled life
The Way of the Monk is a both an ideal starting point and guide to the spiritual path, teaching fundamental skills of mindfulness, self-inquiry, positive communication, and more.