When Lochlann becomes nervous about his upcoming Rite of Wands ceremony, his brother Mierta McKinnon reassures him everything will be okay. But when Lochlann staggers out of his ceremony and refuses to use magic, Mierta McKinnon is determined to find out what really happened.
Meanwhile, the kingdom of Vandolay is under attack by a dangerous, unidentified creature, and Mierta’s father, Mortain McKinnon, requests his son’s assistance to help aid the injured.
But the people of Vandolay aren’t the only ones Mierta must save when someone he holds dear comes face-to-face with the creature and their life hangs in the balance.
Now Mierta must draw upon his strength and his newly acquired magic skills to defeat a dangerous foe and save everyone from death.
A Note From the Publisher
"A great read for young adults and anyone with a sense of adventure that doesn't involve too much risk—except a sleepless night." — Toni Mount, Author of the Sebastian Foxley Medieval Murder Mysteries
• Promotion at national book festivals
• National review coverage
• Digital ARCs and extensive marketing promotions on NetGalley & LibraryThing
• Targeted email marketing to ALA and librarian community
• Author appearances and signings at select bookstores
• Extensive appearance schedule at national fantasy conventions in 2020
• Reading group guides and author presentations tailored for libraries and book clubs
• Print and online advertising and marketing promotion
• Extensive magazine and blogger outreach for editorial coverage and features
• Exclusive downloadable digital content to be available at publisher website
Average rating from 3 members
A strong fantasy novel that builds an intriguing world from the first line to the last. I would gladly add a hard copy of this book to my collection.
An excellent fantasy novel, I found it entertaining and engrossing and loved it. The plot flows, the world building is excellent and I liked the cast of characters. Highly recommended. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
A very entertaining book! I was a little confused as to the timeline of this compared to the first book -- it seems to be a prequel to the first, but it references things from it too . . . so I'm a little confused. That being said, it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit. I was a bit surprised when the book ended -- it seemed that there should have been more, but maybe that's a good thing -- I got lost in the story and lost track . . . All in all -- worth the read.