Pretty Funny for a Girl

Pub Date 01 Oct 2020 | Archive Date 05 Nov 2020
Myrick Marketing & Media, LLC, Peachtree Publishing Company

Talking about this book? Use #PrettyFunnyforaGirl #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A candid and laugh-out-loud journey of family, friends, and fierce mistakes.

Haylah Swinton is an ace best friend, a loving daughter, and an incredibly patient sister to a four-year-old nutcase of a brother. Best of all, she's pretty confident she's mastered making light of every situation--from her mom's new boyfriend to unsolicited remarks on her plus-sized figure. Haylah's learning to embrace all of her curvy parts and, besides, she has a secret: one day, she'll be a stand-up comedian star.

So when impossibly cool and thirstalicious Leo reveals he's also into comedy, Haylah jumps at the chance to ghostwrite his sets. But is Leo as interested in returning the favor? Even though her friends warn her of Leo's intentions, Haylah's not ready to listen--and she might just be digging herself deeper toward heartbreak. If Haylah's ever going to step into the spotlight, first she'll need to find the confidence to put herself out there and strut like the boss she really is.

Rebecca Elliott's hilarious and authentic narrative voice is sure to capture readers' hearts as her plus-sized, teenage heroine navigates learning to love the body she's in while dealing with friends, family, and boys.

A candid and laugh-out-loud journey of family, friends, and fierce mistakes.

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I LOVED THIS STORY!! It was absolutely hilarious, right from the start to end! I also enjoyed the character development of Haylah, where she went from being a slightly insecure girl to a strong, confident young woman. This shows that challenges help a person grow stronger and become a better version of themselves. I also loved how themes of feminism and self-confidence were all mentioned in the story. Women shall choose to be whoever they want to be, and shall never sell themselves short for the opposite sex. This is definitely a must read!!!

I love YA because most of the stories revolve around the MC finding themselves. Everyone can remember what it was like to be a teen and deal with cliques and the populars and the drama. Pretty Funny for a Girl brings me back to those days, and while I was never an aspiring comedian, I can relate a lot to Haylah's story. I loved that this book featured body diversity and I wish more stories did. I also thought that the infusion of comedy into this story was incredibly unique and made for a fun, light story. I read an ARC of this book through Netgalley. I would love to hear an audiobook version of this book. I hope that they set up the comedy sets well so that the reader can get a sense of the delivery of the jokes. One of the issues with reading this book in ebook or physical form is that you are unable to hear how the jokes are delivered and it's more difficult to appreciate the jokes. I'd recommend this book for anyone looking for a YA book about a young, funny, woman trying to find her confidence in a patriarchal world where women are put into a box.