Interstellar Flight Magazine Best of Year One

Pub Date 03 Aug 2020 | Archive Date 15 Nov 2020

Talking about this book? Use #InterstellarFlightPress #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From space opera to weird fiction to indie games and NaNoWriMo, this collection represents the best in nonfiction dedicated to geekery. Founded by Holly Lyn Walrath, Interstellar Flight Magazine is an online SFF and pop culture mag devoted to essays on what’s new in the world of speculative genres. With interviews, personal essays, rants, and raves, the authors of Interstellar Flight Magazine explore the vast outreaches of nerdom.

In the words of Ursula K. Le Guin, we feature “writers who can see alternatives to how we live now, can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine real grounds for hope.”

This anthology also features excerpts from three new Interstellar Flight Press books: The Manticore’s Vow by Cassandra Rose Clarke, a world of dangerous magic and thrilling adventures with this trio of gorgeous, swashbuckling tales, Twelve by Andrea Blythe, a luscious and fae poetry chapbook based on the fairytale The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and Local Star by Aimee Ogden, a polyamorous space opera with a fast-paced, action-packed adventure that’s sure to punch you in the feels.

Table of Contents:

The Ones Who Walk Away By Holly Lyn Walrath

Monsters Under the Bed (and Outside the Window) by E.D. Walker

The Greatest Arsenal: Science Fiction Libraries and Archives by Jeremy Brett

Boundary Crossing, Liminality, & the Hungarian Literary Fantastic by T.D. Walker

Indie Games and Accessibility: A Personal Odyssey by Archita Mittra

Diverse Space Opera, Fight Scenes and NaNoWriMo by E.D. Walker

Phantom Fares by Piper J. Daniels

Riverdale, Writer’s Block, & Naval Warfare by Holly Lyn Walrath

Cats in Science Fiction Films by John Tuttle

Unabashedly Hopeful, Heartbroken, & Silly by J.T. Morse

Strange Bodies by Presley Thomas

Spinning Tales, Chinese Embroidery, & Musical Composition by E.D. Walker

Perception, Uncertainty, and Dread: The Horror of Perspective by Caitlin Starling

Space Opera Is Having a Moment and We Love It by E.D. Walker

Elizabeth Lim

Emily A. Duncan

Yoon Ha Lee

A Note From the Publisher

If you'd like a physical ARC, drop us a line: Contact@InterstellarFlightPress.com

EDITION Ebook

I'm not going to say I adored every story, but there wasn;t one that I gave up on... no, not even tempted. A lot of great writers who I'll certainly be hunting out more by. Give it a go!

Interesting magazine. I thought I give it a shout out since it doesn’t appear to me of being well known. This is magazine take the anthology mag format but adapt it to non-fiction so you get interview with authors, essays, excerpts and stuff like that around the sff world. The team behind it seem to do a decent job and if this is something that you’re into then have a look. Not sure how many or how often they published. It seem fairly new (might be the first one) but I could be wrong. It’s also very affordable which is important for a boo/mag like that.

A magazine to follow. A solid selection of stories and strong editing make it a joy to read. I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

SFF non-fiction can show where we are, how we got here, and where we're going. This anthology does all three well, with engaging author interviews showing the past and present of SFF while the excerpts at the end leave the reader excited for what's coming next. Not every piece hit 100% but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The opening essay is particularly strong for its timeliness. Some of the other essays were too conversational (it's jarring when the interviews have cleaner grammar than some moments in the essays) but I understand that's a matter of personal taste. Overall, a good collection of works that left me satisfied, entertained, and more educated than I started.

I read A LOT of SF & F, so it was a nice change to read some non-fiction in the field. Some the entry were quite interesting, especially the first one, Those Who Walk Away. This collection is a nice mix of essays and writer interviews. I now have some more writwrs and books to explore. And I have to check the out the e-magazine, too.

This "best of year" collection presented a nice selection of articles, interviews, poetry, and essays that will mostly be of value to SFF fans and authors who want to keep up on current tends and persons of interest in that genre of literature. The material is well presented and of appropriate length and depth.

A solid collection of speculative fiction focused non fiction and essays. A little bit of a change of pace for me, but certainly interesting and a rabbit hole to wander down in the future. Thanks to Net Galley and Interstellar Flight Press

I absolutely loved this! I’m getting more into SciFi each time I read it, however, this is a “nonfiction”/“magazine” ABOUT SFF (scifi & fantasy). As someone who is pursuing a journalism degree I loved everything about this. I loved the mixed media format of it - essays, excerpts, and, mostly, the interviews! A few of my favorites were the interview with R. F. Kuang, writer of “The Poppy War”. She’s only in her mid-twenties for starters, and such an impressive person. I also loved the essay on cats in science fiction as well as Trans lives in science fiction - whether it be characters or authors. I would be very interested in reading a new one every year or even half year.

Interstellar Flight Magazine is an online magazine that publishes articles about speculative fiction with a focus on what's current. This book is a collection of the best articles published in 2019. I really enjoyed reading it. It is fun, entertaining and thought provoking. I learnt a lot about speculative fiction from reading it and would recommend it to anyone interested in doing the same.