The School of Life On Confidence

Narrated by Alain de Botton

Pub Date 30 Jul 2020 | Archive Date 13 Jan 2021
Publisher Spotlight Audio, The School of Life

Talking about this book? Use #TheSchoolofLifeOnConfidence #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A thought-provoking essay that shows us that confidence is not a gift from the gods, but a skill that can be learned.

We spend vast amounts of time acquiring confidence in narrow technical fields: quadratic equations or bioengineering; economics or pole vaulting. But we overlook the primordial need to acquire a more free-ranging variety of confidence—one that can serve us across a range of tasks: speaking to strangers at parties, asking someone to marry us, suggesting a fellow passenger turn down their music, changing the world.

This is a guidebook to confidence, why we lack it, and how we can acquire more of it in our lives.

On Confidence walks us gently and wryly around the key issues that stop us from making more of our potential.

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
ISBN 9781912891481

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

I've enjoyed the author/narrator's TED talks, but am not too familiar with his work otherwise. I'm also not a big audiobook person yet, so I thought this would be a nice way to expand horizons in a few ways. This book is relatively short: it is an "essay" on confidence, both the history and preconceived notions we may harbor about it. It was inspiring and will require each person to do further reflection. I was a bit sad when it was over. Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for a digital ARC for the purpose of an unbiased review.

A short, inspirational Audiobook serving as a lovely pep talk and a reminder that we can all have confidence in ourselves. Loved the narrator too.

Quick easy read on confidence. Good narration. Amazing tips of to follow to set yourself up for success in live. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.