Joan Baez

The Last Leaf

Pub Date 05 Nov 2020 | Archive Date 08 Oct 2020

Talking about this book? Use #JoanBaez #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Since she stepped onstage unannounced at the 1959 Newport Folk Festival, Joan Baez has occupied a singular place in popular music. Within three years, she had recorded three best-selling albums and had embarked on a tour of southern US campuses, playing to integrated audiences in an era of segregation. When Time magazine chronicled the folk revival in November 1962, her portrait was on the cover. Her voice was “as lustrous and rich as old gold.” She has mentored generations of singer-songwriters, most famously Bob Dylan.

Now approaching 80, Baez has stepped down from the stage following a worldwide farewell tour and a final Grammy-nominated album. The Last Leaf is a celebration of a timeless figure whose music and influence will endure long after her voice is silenced.

Marketing Plan

BROADCAST

ResonanceFM Liz Thomson to co-host Gianluca Tramontana’s radio show, TX tbc

Newstalk Talking History Interview on 8th Nov.

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire Folk Show Interview on 4th October.

Talk Radio Europe Interview, 2nd October.

Folk Radio magazine News story about upcoming release AND review.

Isis Review – Isis is magazine devoted to all things Bob Dylan.

Ham & High Interview, date tbc.

ONLINE

Music-News.com Running competition on publication.

Americana UK For review.

BROADCAST

ResonanceFM Liz Thomson to co-host Gianluca Tramontana’s radio show, TX tbc

Newstalk Talking History Interview on 8th Nov.

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire Folk Show Interview on 4th October...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Joan Baez is perhaps one of my favourite artists, who's music and activism touches me a lot. I was very lucky to have seen her live in London during her farewell tour with my mother, who introduced me to her music. Internationally known for her angelic voice and decades of activism for peace and equality, I hope that books like this will give her even more recognition. She deserves all of it.

Joan Baez: The Last Leaf by Elizabeth Thomson should quickly become the definitive biography of Joan Baez. Neither the music, the activism, nor the personal life is given less than their due. This is a complete, as in well-rounded, biography. I admit to being a big fan, of her music and her activism. I fully expected to like this biography but I expected, which is what usually happens, to hope for the next biography to focus on what this one didn't. Well, Thomson manages to focus on all aspects of her life and career while still making it all flow. I have rarely been this impressed with a work about a complex celebrity. Whether you're a fan of hers, or simply a fan of music history, this will offer wonderful insights into the folk world and the pop world from 1959 to now. If you're interested in social and cultural history, especially social justice and human rights, this will show not only what Baez did but also what a sincere impassioned activist in general can, and should, do. It is admittedly difficult for anyone to always stand up for what they believe is right, yet Baez succeeded far better than the vast majority of us, famous or not. I think what makes this book really stand out is that it does not become just a recitation of what happened when, then what happened next, etc. There is depth and analysis here. Yet Thomson also doesn't get bogged down in analysis just for the sake of analysis. The flow of the book, from events to the hows and whys, is seamless and the reader gets swept along. I felt like I was reliving some of those times but with new perspective and insight. Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

Joan Baez started her career at the 1959 Newport Folk Festival. She has become an icon, almost as well known for her pacifist philosophies as her music. This biography is well written and thorough, showing the roots of her political activism, and revealing how she interacted with other musicians and contemporaries. If you love her music or enjoy music biographies, you will definitely want to read this one. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.