The Keepers

A Mystery

Pub Date 29 Jun 2021 | Archive Date 13 Jul 2021
St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books

Mason “Mace” Reid lives on the outskirts of...

PRICE CA$36.99 (CAD)

An excellent sequel that can be read as a standalone easily. The main character is an Everyman who trains dogs and works with the police in finding cadavers. With his super dog, Vira, and her doggie family, they help Chicago cops Kippy and Wabs in a couple of cases. The second case involves murder, political corruption and even the mob in a good story.

The Keepers by Jeffrey B. Burton is the second book in The Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. I absolutely loved the first book, The Finders, so as soon as I saw that the next installment was here, I knew I had to read it. And boy did it live up to my expectations. After establishing a history and foundation in the first book, this one starts off from the go. As before, we get plenty of suspense, mystery, intrigue, and complex plots to solve right along with Mace, Vira the amazing GR (his prize pupil in his team of search/cadaver canines), and Officer Kippy Gimm, amongst others. I loved the plot twists, the sharp edges, and the conclusion. I especially enjoy reading about the tight bonds of the highly-trained working dogs and their owner/handler. Nothing is more exciting then that. This book, and series, has everything that a murder/mystery and police procedural book enthusiast could ask for. This book is a great addition to this awesome series. It just keeps getting better. I cannot wait until I can hang out with the team again! Excellent. 5/5 stars Thank you NetGalley and Minotaur/St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 6/29/21.

Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Mason Reid lives near Chicago and uses dogs to detect human remains. Mason is called to a park early one morning. What he finds will open up a can of worms. You don't know who you can trust. This book kept me guessing until the very end.

This is the second book about Mace Reid and his cadaver dogs. I want to thank Net Galley for an advance copy for an honest review. I have read the first one and this one was just as good. Mace is called to a crime scene to help figure out what happened. He has one of dog, Vera that has a nose for the killer. Mace and his dogs get involved with the Mob, corrupt police, and murder. He helps his friend Kippy and her partner, Wabs. The story is well written, lots of action, and kept me reading. This is book can be read as a standalone, but I think I enjoyed it more after reading the first one. I recommend this book and this author

This book was received as an ARC from St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own. I did read The Finders of the Mace Reid K-9 series and was so excited to see that the Jeffrey Burton has continued the series with The Keepers and it's another mystery that will leave you awestruck. Mace, Vira, and Officer Kippy Grimm are at it again but this time it is with a trail that leads to a murder in Washington Park and the results not only leave them at risk but the entire city of Chicago. All will stop at nothing to solve this murder even if it means putting the team and their own lives at risk. I absolutely could not get enough of this book and I can't wait to read the next installment of this series. We will consider adding this title to our Adult Fiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Mace Reid’s dogs are trained in human remains discovery, but his young Golden named Vira (short for Elvira) has a special talent. It seems that she can detect the scent of the killer on the victim. When Mace and Chicago PD officer Kippy Gimm are called to the scene of a body found in a park, Vira reacts wildly to the police commissioner’s entourage when he appears on scene. What is going on?? And just how many are involved in the corruption? I enjoyed this second story much more than the first. It started off a little slow with too much explanation but things picked up and moved quickly. I loved how the dogs are individuals 😁.

This is not some cutesy doggie story. But, a tale of three murders. World renown rocker Jonny Whting's crumpled body with smashed in skull and missing eye lies sprawled on the kitchen floor of his posh condominium. While his famous guitar lies in ruins next to his destroyed and decomposing body. David Siskin, real estate investor from Minneapolis, lies on the floor of the Chicago office of the Investment Group .... his body crushed, almost unrecognizable with compound fractures in all his limbs ... bones hideously protruding through the skin. And, lastly .... Special Prosecutor Peter Feist's neck was not only broken, but his head was facing the wrong direction. All portend ongoing high stakes corruption at the highest level. Linking to the ongoing murder investigations is the presence of Mace Reid and his band of humans remains detection (HRD) dogs. Mace's precious golden retriever, Vira, has savant style skills. Her skill set is heightened by her ability to forensically retain the almost DNA-like scent of perpetrators ... by merely sniffing the corpse. Jeffrey Burton effortlessly spins a convoluted narrative laced with wit and guile, escalating to a satisfying denouement. Along the ride, a myriad of threads are laid down in tantalizing details to ultimately culminate in a complex web. Burton provides a compelling storyline infused with suspense and aided by characters with complex motivations that leads to an entertaining and enjoyable read, This second book in the series is a much more complete and complex mystery and can certainly be read as a standalone. Thanks to NetGalley and St Martin's Press for providing an Uncorrected Proof in exchange for an honest review.

Keeps the action pulsing with enough intrigue to make it hard to turn the virtual pages fast enough. Thoroughly fleshed-out characters you tend to either like or dislike with enthusiasm. A great bedtime read that'll keep you engaged till the very end. Highly recommended! *This book was provided free of charge in exchange for my honest review. My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to participate in this program.*

Viras fluffy little soul just grips me and warms my heart... then terrifies me. I love this series so much. The incorporation of dogs into a suspense and murder story. Yes please! Nothing could be better in my world. This book is very well written with endearing characters that you get attached to. I was sad when I go to the last page because I had to say goodbye to this band of characters till the next book. It was fast paced and suspenseful and outright scary at times. This book needs to go way up there on your must read list.

4.5 Stars I love sinking my teeth into a new series. I read The Finders earlier this year, and while it wasn't my favorite, I was a fan of Burton's writing style, and was happy to be approved for the second installment of the Mace Reid K-9 series. Recovering from the events of Book 1, Mace is focused on training and taking care of his dogs. He's got a solid friendship-maybe-more working with CPD Officer Kippy Gimm, and he's settling into his routine, when a late-night call brings him to Washington Park. What he finds there is more than a body, and soon Mace, Kippy, and the dogs become entangled in a ring of corruption and murder that threatens to bring the city of Chicago to the ground--and put them six feet under. I really enjoyed this book. To start, this was a fast-paced yet literary read. I am a sucker for allusions, and I was not disappointed by Burton's references to other illustrious works, a feat that added depth to his characters and their motivations. I wanted a little more in terms of active dialogue (as opposed to explanatory prose), but it was cinematic and riveting in its entirety. Mace's voice was engaging and dynamic. Where I was a little put off by his behavior in the debut--he often struck me as much older and borderline offensive--I found him to be much more well-rounded and accessible this time around. I appreciated his gritty humor and sarcasm. His conversational tone felt authentic and brought strategic comedic relief to some tense situations. I pictured him more as a Gerard Butler or a Bosch, a little rough around the edges, but lovable, complex, and caring. I also appreciated his relationship with his dogs. Where animals are often seen as throw-away characters--used more to propel the plot of the protagonist than actual characters in their own right--here, we see them as smart, intuitive, and brave. They're given respect by not only Mace, but by the people he holds closest in life. They talk to them, account for their safety, and I genuinely loved to see that. My dog basically thinks he's a person, and I think any animal-loving reader is really going to relate to this aspect. His burgeoning relationship with Kippy Gimm and Wabs, too, felt much more successful here. They have a mutual respect, a friendship, and it was nice to see them looking out for each other rather than leaving their feelings surface-deep and abstract. Overall, The Keepers is an exciting, gripping, gritty crime thriller. I'd recommend for fans of The Wire, Bosch, or anyone who'd love to see cadaver dogs front and center of a suspense. Big thanks to Minotaur and NetGalley for providing an eARC in exchange for honest review consideration.

I love a dog lover and author; this author is one of the good ones. The investigator has several dogs, one of whom has a special skill in that she can detect more than a scent of a victim, she can detect the bad guy. A wonderful skill, but dangerous when the bad guys masquerade as something else. While there are aspects of the story that strain credulity, this is a nice and active story, moves quickly and the dogs truly are the stars. It was a pleasure to read and I will look forward to others with this crew.

I’m a sucker for any book with dogs on the cover, this was no exception. I really like Vira and her handler Mace. This book has more twists and turns but as usual the dogs are the heroes in this story. It’s fast paced and the end was great! Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martins Press for my copy of this book..

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of The Keepers. I love dogs so I was excited when my request was approved; not to mention I enjoyed the first book in the series and was interested to read about Mace and Vira's next adventure. Not surprisingly, I enjoyed The Keepers very much; there's plenty of drama, suspense, and excitement. Mace and his loyal, brilliant canines find themselves embroiled (unwittingly) in a political conspiracy of dire proportions. Lives are lost, especially dear Wabs, and people and dogs are hurt, but thanks to Mace's cadre of incredible dogs, the good guys save the day. The returning characters are great, especially Kippy. I was pleased to see the sexual tension between her and Mace is alive and well. She's capable, smart and ambitious and would make a good partner for Mace. Mace, as always, remain a steadfast and good guy. A bit awkward, a bad liar, but an honest man. And, who wouldn't like a guy who respects and loves dogs as much as he does? I look forward to the next book in the series.

Book Review: The Keepers Author: Jeffrey B. Burton Publisher: St. Martin’s Press/ Minotaur Books Publication Date: June 29, 2021 Review Date: November 14, 2021 From the blurb: “Jeffrey B. Burton's The Keepers is the next installment of the Mace Reid K9 series, featuring golden retriever cadaver dog Vira and her handler, Mason Reid. Mason “Mace” Reid lives on the outskirts of Chicago and specializes in human remains detection—that is, he trains dogs to hunt for dead bodies. He calls his pack of cadaver dogs The Finders, and his prize pupil is a golden retriever named Vira. When Mace Reid and Vira are called in to search Washington Park at three o'clock in the morning, what they find has them running for their very lives. The trail of murder and mayhem Mace and CPD Officer Kippy Gimm have been following leads them to uncover treachery and corruption at the highest level, and their discoveries do not bode well for them . . . nor for the Windy City itself. The Keepers is an exciting, fast-paced mystery filled with courageous dogs you'll want to root for.” ——- Yes, I know I have several more months before this sequel is published, but I loved The Finders so much, that I found it too difficult to put off reading the sequel, The Keepers. It was equally as wonderful. The plot was twisty and turny, with climax and resolution just at the right spots. What I especially love about this sequel is the characters. Not only are Mace and Kippy perfect, it’s the dog characters that particularly thrill me. I wish I could snatch Vira out of the pages and take her home with me. Sue, the male German Shepherd King of the Roost made me laugh. Things got a little intense, and even though I remembered it’s just a book, I had to remind myself to keep breathing during the scary parts. I like that the story takes place in the Chicago area. I grew up in St. Louis and had relatives in Chicago. Later, in my early adulthood, I made several memorable trips to Chicago. It’s just one of those places I have fond memories of. All in all, a 5 star thriller made extra special by its dog characters. I do so hope Mr. Burton intends to write more books in the series. Thank you to St. Martin for giving me early access to The Keepers. Best of luck to Mr. Burton with his continued literary career. This review will be posted on NetGalley, Goodreads and Amazon. #netgalley #thekeepers #jeffreyburton #stmartins #dogstories

First I would like to thank net galley for allowing me the opportunity to read this early release in return for an honest review... This is the 1st book I read by this author and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it… It was a quick read which I appreciated… I could read it in a few days which I appreciated ...as I have two older special need rescues in my home right now that take a lot of time ... The book was well written ...had good characters with good development ...allowing you to know a lot about them but without bogging the book down with unneeded detail ... The story picked up quickly.. get right into the action and moved forward at a good pace and everything came together and was resolved well so that nothing was left out ... As dog lover I would have liked to have had a little bit more development of the dogs backgrounds and personalities so when things came together at the end it would have maybe blended together better, however, this did not detract from the book nor the way it was put together and I am definitely going to look for more by this author? highly recommended!thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thank you to Netgalley and Minotaur Books for allowing me to read ARC in exchange for honest feedback. The Keepers by Jeffrey B. Burton is the second book in a new series. I haven't read the first book but from all the reviews, I gather it is easily as good as The Keepers. Mace, who trains cadaver dogs, and his trusty sidekick, a Golden Retriever with special talents, are the protagonists in this easy to read, hard to put down book. Along with Kippy Gimm of the Chicago police department, the three try to bring down the mafia and corrupt Chicago officials. Mace talks and thinks with a wonderful sense of humor and an ability to make a bit lighter any difficult positions he finds himself in. But he is fleet of foot, loves his "kids" (four cadavre dogs), and bemoans the "just friends' relationship he has with Kippy. Things happen fast in this book. Everything is related in the end and it's a shorter book that you don't want to end when you finish. It's fun which is an odd thing to say about a book that is full of blood, nasty people, and murders. It's probably the love of dogs (mine and the author's) that makes this book such a genuine surprise for me. I look forward to #3 in this series.

I thoroughly enjoyed Jeffrey Burton's The Finders and was excited to read the next Mace Reid adventure. Admittedly, my favorite parts deal with Mace's exceptional cadaver dog Vira and the other canine members of the family. Vira is not just exceptionally intelligent but her olfactory skills are such that she had identified a killer outside of the crime scene area. News of Mace and Vira's detecting abilities are starting to spread which has some drawbacks. After being drawn into and solving a high profile murder investigation, Mace and Vira are called to the suspicious death of a high ranking police investigator and this time regular detecting won't help them. This time Chicago style corruption runs deep and threatens Mace, Vira, and their entire family. Jeffrey Burton gives us a likable everyman paired with an exceptional dog and their relationship is something special. I stayed up all night reading and now more than ever wish we could have a dog. In the meantime, I will look forward to the next adventure with Mace, Vira, and the family.

The leading man in Jeffrey Burton's The Keepers (Minotaur Books 2021), second in the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series, is Mason Reid. He is an irreverent plain spoken former cop whose tough as nails attitude cost him a marriage, a few jobs, and at least one girlfriend. But all is forgiven because he loves his four HRD (human remains detection) dogs. They are mostly hired by Chicago PD to hunt out dead bodies. The star of the series, though, isn't Reid. It's Vira, a golden retriever pup who has the extraordinary ability to smell the DNA left by killers on a dead body. Then, when it shows up on someone else, she goes into a sort of seizure--the sure sign that Mace is facing the murderer. That's not only an unusual ability. It’s never heard of. In this story, Vira and Mace are called on to help solve the murder of an aging rocker. Vira like most working dogs I know loves her job so finding the murderer proves easy enough and opens them up to another murder, this of a high powered figure in Chicago policing, this one leading someplace no one and mostly not Mason want it to go. But, they must follow the evidence and that's what gets Mason and Vira into a whole lot of trouble. Burton has a friendly easy going way of writing. You feel like he’s talking to you, telling an interesting story, not relaying life-and-death events. And, he has a great sense of humor. Look at these: "Yeah, I know—whenever I tell folks what I do for a living, they think I slept through Career Day in high school." "Vira’s just Vira—a canine savant and the LeBron James of cadaver dogs, that’s all."  "...Bill [one of Mason's HRD dogs] came scampering back to me, tail spinning like a ceiling fan." This book had some slow spots that I don't remember in the first (see my review of The Finders) but nothing to dissuade me from reading the next in the series. BTW, the final couple of scenes--they are to die for.

I love this series! As I mentioned in my review of The Finders, Jeffrey B. Burton does an extraordinary job of fleshing out the personalities of his canine characters, and integrates them into these suspense plot lines in a way that is both believable and exciting. Our human heroes, Mace and Kippy, are equally easy to root for, and I was delighted with the growth in their personal relationship in this second installment. Finally, the plot itself held my attention, especially the exciting climax. I enjoy Burton’s breezy writing style, and I have only one complaint about Mace: He really needs to start voting. ; ) My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC.

I wasn't sure at first that I liked this book as it started out kind of slow. However, once I got farther into the book, I really enjoyed. It was full of mystery and I loved the roles that the dogs had in the story.

Mace, along with one of his cadaver dogs, Vira, is called to Washington Park to search for a body. What they uncover has Mace, his pups, and Officer Gimm running as if their lives depend on it…and actually it does. Although this is book two in the Mace Reid K9 Mystery series, this is my first by this author. This story has a great cast of characters and I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. I felt the characters were realistic and their reactions were closer to how someone might react in their situation. It was refreshing to read. The beginning did feel a bit “all over the place” but a few chapters in and I couldn’t put the book down. I will be checking out Mr. Burton’s other books and am eager to find out how this story actually began!

loved this book it a learning as well as entertainment kinda book! I like how you get many facts about dogs as training, Does keep you on your toes. Man's best friend WINS again!

Thanks to Netgalley and St Martin's Press for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Mace Reid trains cadaver dogs and works with Chicago cop Kippy Gimm. One night, during a search, they uncover big time corruption and end up on the defensive. This is the second book of this series and I will be continuing on with it. I love anything dog related and Mace's dogs are total badasses but there is more to these books than a light dog story. I have enjoyed both in the series and look forward to Mace, Kippy and the dogs' next adventure.

<i>The keepers</i> is an extremely fast paced murder mystery with a unique twist. Mace Reid, a police contractor, is considered to be a bit of a goofy guy who lives with 5 dogs who sniff out cadavers. <i>The keepers</i> is the second book in the Mace Reid K9 mystery written by Jeffrey B. Burton. Mace’s dogs are asked to sniff around a particularly gruesome murder. In this case Mace uses Vira because she has a very special talent. She can not only smell the victim but also the murderer. Because of this special talent they solve one murder mystery but are immediately sent out to find another body. In this case, the victim is a high official in the city of Chicago. Vira and Mace attend the funeral to see if they can find any suspects. Unfortunately, they end up discovering that the murderer is another high official which leads them into direct conflict with officials in the city of Chicago, as well as, with the mob. It becomes evident that solving this mystery has put them in a position where they will have to quickly bring the murderers to justice or become victims of their own success. The author does an excellent job of giving each of the dogs their own personality. You quickly understand why they are each individually so important to Mace. Mace himself is a very unique character who relates more to his dogs than to most people. As well, he doesn't like being in the line of fire with his police work. His two police friends often keep him company to help him through some of the harder times. The story itself is very fast-paced and interesting and the book is a real page turner. Burton is excellent at creating tension as you expect things going to happen and you wonder how they can possibly get out of these situations. The most unique part of the book is that author creates an empathy for the dogs. Each of them is a unique character and the reader actually starts to cheer for them. Mace loves them so much that a bond is created between the reader, the main character, and the dogs. All of this adds a unique level of fascination for the book. This is an excellent and unique book for people who like murder mysteries and/or animals. Because it is fast-paced and entertaining throughout, I give it a 5 on 5. I want to thank NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with a digital copy of the novel in exchange for a fair review.

The Keepers is another addicting chapter in the Mace Reid K9 series. Once again Jeffrey B. Burton surprises this reader with an edge of your seat thrilling mystery that so captured the imagination that I could not put this book down. The dogs steal the show in these books, each trained to detect human remains, but Vira is really special. A super sniffer or a touch of ESP, Mace's golden retriever can literally sniff out murdering bad guys. Mace is a lighthearted, dog lover of a hero who is really good at his job of helping the police. Vira quickly sniffs their way through a murder and into real city corruption and danger, leaving Mace, his dogs, and CPD Officer Kippy Gimm on the run. Action packed, twisted, and with a little side romance, the story weaves its way into the heart of this reader and firmly places me in the fan for life category for Mr. Jeffrey B. Burton. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy from Netgalley.

Mason Reid, Kippy Gimm and Reid's rescue dogs are all back for another fun to read and laugh out loud mystery! As I mentioned before in another review of Burton's dog series - his books will remind the reader of David Rosenfelt and Harlan Coben's humor.

Progagonist Mace Reid lives near Chicago and specializes in training cadaver dogs. His alpha right now is a golden retriever he named Elvira—Vira for short. He is often called to Chicago for searches and that is what brought him to Washington Park in the middle of the night. “Many question whether ours is a city that can be saved. Others question whether it deserves to be.” Main characters and support characters alike, including the canine variety, all have well developed three-dimensional personalities. By-the-way, this could function fine as a standalone, you’ll get info along the way that will catch you up if you missed Book 1. The narrative is a solid, hard-hitting action thriller from the first chapter. These are well-plotted and fast-paced novels. Mace is not your ideal hero—he’s divorced, drinks some, swears, and tends to vomit when extremely scared. Not Superman material—but he loves his dogs—all five of them. His new “just friends only” girl is CPD officer Kippy Gimm. The thing is, Vira is “gifted.” Or perhaps Mace is just so well tuned in to his alpha now, he knows when she is signaling more than just a dead body. Mace and Kippy quickly get in well over their heads with the systemic corruption of the government providing a powerful catalyst to flee the Windy City. NOW! I like that the dogs aren’t just background—their training and senses are explored and explained. Their specialized talents clarified and they have jobs to do. This entry to the series is serious, at times raw, profane, with eye-popping revelations. There are murders, description of torture, and language. There is some weakness in Mace this time that I don’t remember in the first book. He is definitely emerging as a real person. Sometimes I like him—sometimes I don’t. But I do love those dogs and my heart lurched at Maggie’s injury. 4.5 stars/5

Although, as a Chicagoan, I didn't care for the corruption blanket thrown over the city I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The banter and the dogs really made it a must read. A very intricate crime and bad guys who were really evil brought depth. The characters were so well drawn that the death of one was a sad event for me. Dialogue is believable and true to each character and the dogs are amazing Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc

The Keepers by Jeffrey B. Burton 9781250244567 288 Pages Publisher: St. Martin’s Press / Minotaur Books Release Date: June 29. 2021 General Fiction (Adult), Mystery & Thrillers, Cadaver Dogs, Chicago, Police Procedural This is the second installing in the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. Mason (Mace to his friends) Reid is a dog trainer and cadaver dog handler. A one-hit wonder singer was found dead in his home after being beaten with his own guitar. The charred remains of a man were believed to be of a homeless man sleeping in a warehouse. Death then finds an accountant. Is there a connection to the two deaths? Mason Mace and Vira investigate with her extrasensory doggy skills. Before they know it, they are way over their heads. Although this is a sequel, it can be read as a stand-alone book. The story flows well and has a steady pace. There were actually two different storylines going on and I did wonder if and how the stories would come together. The characters are developed and is in first person narrative by Mace with third person point of view for the rest. For the sensitive reader, there is a scene of animal abuse which could be upsetting. If you enjoy a mystery with twists and turns galore, you will like this book. No matter what, the good guy always wins.

An engaging read about Mason Reid and his pack of cadaver dogs. The mystery has layers upon layers of corruption and plenty of bad guys that kept me interested right up to the end. The characters are skillfully written and believable. The plot had plenty of twists. I will never see IKEA cartons without thinking of murder. I highly recommend The Keepers. I received an advanced readers copy from the author and St Martin's Press through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are completely my own. #TheKeepers, #NetGalley

A dog trainer, Mason Reid or "Mace" as he is known, has five dogs he keeps and trains. Each one has a unique talent. They are search and rescue or cadaver recovery dogs. All of them are special to Mace. His golden retriever "Vira" seems to have an even greater ability, She can smell the killer of a homicide and when she encounters them she lets Mace know. Not many know of this special ability and many would scoff but quickly after a walk through of the murder scene she picks up the scent, Vira is called upon to search for the Special Prosecutor who has gone missing, he heads a unit to weed out just about every kind of crime and corruption, and she finds his body quickly. The problem is she finds the killer just as fast, as he and his chauffeur arrive to oversee the investigation. Everything is now a problem and where to turn for help is the big question. This is Chicago where crime is in every occupation including the law, Working closely with Kippy, a police officer girlfriend or is it non-girlfriend now, and her partner they try to figure out what to do. When their plan goes very bad Mace and Kippy with three of the dogs are now on the run for their lives. I would recommend this book to everyone, it's edgy and entertaining at the same time. Its got murder, disturbing psychopathy, action and even humor with romantic possibilities in it. Thank you Jeffrey B, Burton and NetGalley also Minatour Books NY St. Martins Press for this advanced digital copy. This is, as usual, my honest opinion.

I loved the first book in this series and I love this one too! I love Mace’s dedication to training his dogs to sniff out human remains. This is a good mystery and police procedural. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I love this series - as a fan of murder mystery thrillers and a dog lover, The K-9 Mystery series brings two of my favorite things together and wraps it highly readable prose. The Keepers is the second in the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. Mason Reid is a dog handler of a pack of cadaver dogs, one of whom has an unusually keen nose for finding killers. When Mason and his star pupil Vira are called out to the grisly scene of the murder of Chicago's head of the special prosecutions bureau, Vira's special ability points to an unlikely suspect as the killer. Soon Mason, Officer Kippy Gimm and her partner Dave Wabiszewski are embroiled in a dangerous investigation implicating some of Chicago's highest profile residents. The Keepers is a tight, edge of your seat, compulsively readable thriller. As most animal lovers will tell you, dogs each have their own unique characteristics and personality and Burton does an outstanding job of capturing the varying personalities of his canine companions and ensuring they are true supporting characters in the story. I love this series and am already eagerly anticipating the next book.

I loved this book. It was full of murder, mystery, corruption, and a healthy dose of romance and animals. No matter what your chosen genre, The Keepers will keep you turning those pages.

The Keepers by Jeffrey B. Burton is the second book in the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. Sometimes second books in a series can be a let-down, but that is not the case here. Burton has increased the potency in this novel and managed to seamlessly combine an amateur sleuth mystery with a police procedural that also highlights relationships between dogs and people. Mason (Mace) Reid lives outside of Chicago and trains dogs with various end goals such as obedience and missing persons tracking, as well as searching for drugs and explosives. However, his specialty is training dogs in human remains detection (HRD or cadaver dogs). He is often called in to help the Chicago Police Department and local sheriff’s departments. Little did he know that when he and his golden retriever, Vira, are called in to search Washington Park that their lives are about to change. Vira seems to have an uncanny ability that borders on the paranormal in her ability to locate not just the dead bodies, but also their murderers. Mace is a compelling and well-developed character with flaws that have led to a divorce and a job change. It was great to see some of the secondary characters show up again in this book and gain some depth. Additionally, the canines have been well-developed and their personalities came through as the story progress. They aren’t just an afterthought, but play important roles in the series. It was also great to see the relationship between Mace and Kippy develop. The writing style is engaging, but also has an intensity to it that kept me turning the pages. At the same time, there were moments of humor that elevated the book and made Mace and his dogs come to life for me. This story is complicated and has multiple subplots, but it’s never confusing. The overall plot was clever and kept me engrossed in the tale. Its twists and turns led to a dramatic conclusion. Like in book one, the bonds between Mace and his five dogs are the highlights of the book. Themes include murder, corruption, trust, and relationships between dogs and people as well as between people. Overall, this was an entertaining novel and a great addition to the series. I look forward to the next book and I want to read this author’s FBI Special Agent Drew Cady mystery series starting with The Chessman. If you enjoy books where special animals play a role in a mixed genre novel, then this may be the next series for you. Thanks to St. Martin’s Press – Minotaur Books and Jeffrey B. Burton for an ARC of this novel via NetGalley and the opportunity to provide an honest review. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way. Publication date is currently set for June 29, 2021. This review was originally posted at Mystery and Suspense Magazine.

I have not yet read the first book in this series (I will be!) but that did not detract from my enjoyment of this one. Mason “Mace” Reid. Mace and his trained cadaver dogs work on demand for the Chicago police department to find dead bodies. His golden retriever, Vira, has an additional special gift that not many people know about: she can detect the "scent of the killer" and identify them later. In on the secret are CPD Officers Kippy Gimm and Dave "Wabs" Wabiszewski. In the main plot line, Mace and Vira are called out to find a missing prosecutor who turns up dead. The whole team ends up in danger as they try to gather the evidence they need to bring the perpetrators to justice. The book is well written and flows smoothly despite jumping between different viewpoints, and there were times when I was "on the edge of my seat" waiting to see what happened next. I found the characters to be engaging, particularly Mace, who is a bit self-depreciating, sarcastic and witty, and loves his dogs like family (calls them his kids). Thank you NetGalley and Minotaur/St. Martin’s Press for the ARC.

I tend not to read many books that involve animals but I read the first book because I’m interested in these highly trained K-9 dogs. The first book was a good start of the series. The second one did not grab my attention immediately because of it been partially repeating some of the feelings that Mace has for his dogs that we encountered in book one. I can say that somewhere between 10 and 15 percent into the story it got me hooked so much that I kept on reading. We have many plot twist and a lots of action. Some will make you sad others will make you smile. All by all I feel this is a solid four star and hope the series will continue.

Mace and Vira Find Themselves In Great Danger Vira is a cadaver dog. She sniffs out and finds people who are missing and presumed dead. This case is a little different, Mace and Vira are called to a murder scene with the hope Vira can capture the scent of the serial murderer amid all the carnage. A week went by without a lead before another body turned up. While Mace and Vira waited at the murder scene, suddenly Vira went berserk. Unknown to them at the time, her action put them at the top of the murderer’s hit list. A great follow-up to The Finders, this book delves deeply into the characters, showing their strength and fears in depth. The killer is diabolical and ruthless, enjoying his role as eliminator of problem people. I found myself completely immersed in the book as, one after another, events sent the story in an unexpected direction. Definitely a great read for all murder/suspense lovers. Thank you, NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press, and author Jeffrey B. Burton for an advance review copy for my enjoyment. I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Read the cover for synopsis,it covers the basics. This is the second in a series but can easily be read as a stand-alone. You'll want to read the first one to get a better feel for all the characters. The characters come to life and the dogs are just wonderful. I wish I had a Mace to train mine! The story is fast paced and will keep your interest all the way to the nail biting end! It is full of twists and turns. It is gut wrenching when the dogs get hurt, but thankfully they all recover. Loved the book, looking forward to the next one! I was provided an advanced reader copy but was under no obligation to provide a review. The opinions expressed are my own. Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.

Give me a book with a dog, and I’m in. Give me a book with a dog with exceptional talents and I’m SO in.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ I really enjoyed The Finders last year. Vira was introduced to me as the cadaver dog that had extra skills to even sniff out the murderers so I was excited when I saw book two was available! Her handler Reid also has FOUR other dogs, so I may be a little biased in how much I love him... he trains all of his dogs to be search and rescue dogs. They are all incredibly talented and he treats them like children and I adore him for it.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ This book was very stressful for me. From the beginning, Vira sniffs out remains of a few different men violently murdered. We follow the story, only to find multiple men dead, a Chicago mob boss involved, loads of drug cartel, racketeering, and corruption going on. Who can you trust? Reid, Vira and police officer Kippy’s lives are threatened over and over for getting too close to what’s happening and you’re on the edge of your seat hoping that nothing happens to Vira, Maggie and Delta- the other sniffer dogs...⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ Obviously I wanted Reid and Kippy to be okay too... but I cannot deal when dogs are harmed. So literally nail biting, foot tapping, sitting on the edge of my couch up until the end.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ If you like crime stories and dogs- go grab this!⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ Thank you @minotaurbooks and @netgalley for an ARC for my honest review.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ #bookstagram #books #bookcommunity #crime #goldenretriever #cadaverdog #minotaurbooks #netgalley #thekeepers

Mace Reid K-9 Mystery book#2 This series features golden retriever cadaver dog Vira and her handler, Mason Reid. In this second installment the duo are called in to search Washington Park in the wee hours of the day, what they find has them running for their lives..... I haven’t read book one and in no ways was it a challenge to start at this point although I admit that book #1 is on my radar. The story stands perfectly well by itself. This is a solid, hard action mystery that grabs from the start. It is also a nice combination of an amateur sleuth mystery with a good dose of police procedural. What stands out is the relationship (love) between the handler and his dogs, this shines all through the book. The “Keepers” is very engaging and the author cleverly keeps the intensity to a high level in order to keep us flipping pages. Indeed it kept me engrossed with the many twists and turns that led to a dramatic ending. We have two major criminal cases: one, the murder of a rock star battered to death with his guitar and second the brutal murder of the head of Special Prosecutor Bureau. These cases bring out panoply of shady characters: the head of the Chicago mob, his psychopathic son, crooked politicians and businessmen, police superintendent and multiple other bad guys....but to save the day after a savage confrontation is Mace with his sidekick Kippy and the dogs. Yep.. I rooted for the dogs...:) One plot which was put to bed fairly easily and the second simmered into an explosive boil.....very captivating. The main characters and the support characters including the canine variety are well developed. Mace is not a superman: he drinks some, swears too much and vomits when scared but loves his dogs and his friend, CPD office Kippy Gimm is the perfect ally. I loved that the dogs weren’t just background players. They had a job to do and their training is explored...well-done.

The Keepers features Mace Reid and his cadaver dogs (or kids as he calls them). Mace’s dog Vira has an exceptional, uncanny ability, though. She can connect the murderer to his victim. When Vira alerts to a suspect this time, Mace and his friends realize Chicago corruption has once again spread through high layers of the police and government. Now they have become the hunted as they try to find proof of the truth they know. The psycho son of the local mob boss and the assassin they use are after them and are ruthless and cruel. This was a thriller, full of tension and suspense, keeping me engrossed in the story. I especially love the relationship between Mace and his dogs, but this is not a fun and cuddly dog story.

#2 in the Mace Reid K-9 series. Reid trains cadaver dogs and often helps out with the police, especially Officer Kippy Gimm who knows of the special talents of Reid's golden retriever Vira, who can sniff out who is the killer at a crime scene. Like the first in the series, this one is fast-paced and twisty, starting with the killing of a special prosecutor, and drawing in organized crime and corruption in high places, as well as targets on Mace, Kippy and the dogs' backs. The pages will fly by. The dogs are all characters in their own right. The seeming touch of the paranormal is unnecessary however; it seems perfectly reasonable that an ultra-smart dog could work out what happened at a crime scene. The main characters are continuing to develop realistically. I hope every book doesn't put their lives in extreme jeopardy like the first two; that can get a little old. I look forward to the next in the series.

I love this series! This is the second book following The Finders, and you'll find more of Mace and his band of 5 cadaver dogs. His newest recruit, Vira, seems to have a special sense and can sense DNA on the murderer of a victim, a very special talent! Two crimes are covered in this novel, and Kimmy is again involved with Mace in solving the cases. If you love dogs, and a good mystery, this series is meant for you! thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for my copy of The Keepers. I'm looking forward to spending more time with Mace and the crew.

Mayhem in the windy city… This is the second book in the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series that can be read as a stand-alone. I hadn’t read the first book in the series and didn’t feel that I missed anything by not having done so. Mason “Mace” Reid handles and trains dogs to find cadavers, they track the scent of death. One of his dogs, a golden retriever he rescued, named Elvira, Vira for short, is considered special, she scents more than just dead bodies. A dog with a touch of the paranormal, scenting traces of human DNA on bodies and reacting when she next runs across the source of that DNA is difficult to explain and Mace guards her canine talent religiously. As Mace often assists the police, Chicago Police Officer Kippy Gimm is entrusted with the knowledge of Vira’s abilities and she’s considered a friend if not more. Mace is an interesting quick-witted character with a bit of a jaded sarcasm that belies his age. The dogs are more than his work partners, they are his kids with distinct personalities that come across and they have always had his back. Kippy and her partner, Dave, are good complements to Mace and his dogs. With interesting mysteries, likable characters, and three murders to solve this book holds the reader's attention. Normally a cadaver dog handler would not be so involved in the detective work but Vira’s abilities make avoidance difficult when her reactions place Mace in the middle of dangerous situations. This was a well-written story, the plot was complex, filled with suspense and you have to love the dogs. Besides murder, there’s corruption reaching the highest levels of city government, betrayal, and the mafia to contend with. This was the first time reading this author and I was not disappointed. I look forward to more books in this series and will definitely pick up the first one. An advanced reading copy was obtained from the publisher via NetGalley.

The Keepers by Jeffrey B. Burton was an enjoyable read. I liked the idea of a dog trainer with a very talented, well-trained cadaver dog being the main character. That Mace Reid mostly trains cadaver dogs is a little something different for me. I'm more used to drug/bomb sniffing dogs or search and rescue dogs in stories. This book is the second book in author Jeffrey B. Burton's Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. I liked the first book in the series. The Finders and this one continues the super series.

Action packed fun! This was an interesting novel centred around a cavader dog named vira an her handler Mace. This is the second book in a series but is an easy read and can be read as a stand alone. Lots of adventure. Very entertaining read. Thanks netgalley for this arc

This is the second book in this K-9 cadaver dog series about Mason Reid and his dogs and I will be keeping an eye out for future volumes. Mason and his team of dogs don’t wear a badge but when he adopted Vira he signed up for a little more than just finding bodies. Vira has a special talent - when she sniffs someone recently murdered she also catches the scent for the killer. This gives Mason the often difficult job of figuring how to prove the bad guy Vira points out did it. This story containers a side story type murder that they solve and a bigger more complicated story. Both were interesting and I love how you get chapters from the bad guys’ perspectives as I always enjoy that kind of a glimpse into the eyes of evil.

Don’t be fooled by the easygoing narration that is sprinkled with humor and lighthearted jests. The Keepers is a police procedural with some really nasty, violent “bad guys” who have decided that they must eliminate Mace and his dogs because the dogs have been able to identify the murderer responsible for the deaths of several high ranking officials. Mace flees the Chicago area in an effort to avoid the hitmen while simultaneously hoping to gather enough hard data to present to the FBI. However, his plans don’t work out quite as he hoped they would. The non-stop action building up to the climax made me want to keep reading straight through to find out how everything would ultimately be resolved. The exciting conclusion left me looking forward to more novels in this delightful series about Mace Reid and his canine team.

The 2nd book in the Mace Reid series, the book picks up several months after the first one left off. Vira the dog has more personality than most humans I know. Reading her in action brings me immense joy, even as a card-carrying cat person. Vira is the ultimate Good Girl. The plot was good, though there was an unrelated case at the beginning that didn't seem to have much place in the plot. It was actually a really cool case, it just didn't advance the plot. The main case was a crazy mash-up of mobsters, government officials, and investment groups that never quite made sense, but was nonetheless very compelling. And the action in this book is top notch. One star gets knocked off for the vaguely sexist, very whiny "just friends" crap that Mace talks about. I'm trying not to spoil it, but I'll just say this: if a guy I was friends with stopped talking to me because I wouldn't have sex with him...well, I'd be a lot less forgiving than Office Kippy is. Overall, a solid, messy cop adventure! TW: animal cruelty, violence

If you loves dogs, a crackerjack suspenseful mystery with a great cast of characters -both good and bad- do not hesitate one second - this should be your next read. Mace Reid is looking at 30, he's divorced and has found his niche in life. He trains dogs to sniff out human remains and his super star dog is a Golden Retriever named (El)Vira. Along with Sue, (male) Delta Dawn, Billy Joe, Maggie May. Those names right there had me hooked. Add his sense of humor and he has become one of my favorite characters. Teaming up with Chicago cop partners Kippy and Wabs, this trio is very good at cracking cases. In the Finders it was a serial killer and in this outing they are trying to bring down a very corrupt police official along with some big names in the local mob. They know who dunnit but they can't use what they know to make the case. Why? Because Vira showed them with her unique nose - she can smell trace DNA from the killer and she has gotten a hit on two corpses that tell Wabs, Kippy and Mace who to bring down. As most people would not believe Vira's special gift, they keep it a secret. Their challenge is how to bring that about without, as Mace says, spending eternity at the botom of Lake Michigan with legs shrouded in cement. The really scary guy they have nicknamed Man Mountain could very easily make that happen and Mace is fighting the strong urge to move to Barrow, Alaska....yesterday. I won't say any more - spoilers - but I happily gave The Finder five stars and this has earned five stars as well. The tension, the puzzle, the well drawn characters and the dogs all make for one great series. If you haven't read The Finders, not a problem, each can be read as a stand alone but make sure to set aside a chunk of reading time to devour this one. You won't want to put it down. My thanks to the publisher Minotaur and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.

The Keepers is the second book in the Mace Reid series, This book picks up several months after the first one ends and ut doesn't disappoint. I must say I absolutely adore Vira but I also love dogs soooooooo this is my very biased opinion. But Vira has so much personality written into her character I can very vividly imagine her and she comes to life on the pages. Reading Vira do her thing gives me all the feels I want my own Vira. (Don't tell my real furry heroes Prince, Leo and Izzy they would be devastated by my dog envy). The overall storyline is excellent and we see Vira returning on an unrelated but decidedly cool case so I was happy to tag along, As the book progresses we move into the main storyline and main case which was very compelling. Wow this is one action packed book and I was intensely engaged. Overall, this is a solid police procedural and I highly recommend it! I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

Having read the first book in this series, I was excited to read this one! When Mace Reid and Vira, his cadaver dog, are called in to search Washington Park at three o'clock in the morning, what they find has them running for their very lives. The trail of murder and mayhem Mace and CPD Officer Kippy Gimm have been following leads them to uncover treachery and corruption at the highest level, and their discoveries do not bode well. This is a good suspenseful read. Thank you to NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press, and the author for a gifted copy. This is my honest review.

Pure joy, fun and entertaining read that will keep readers wanting more. It was a well written and well plotted

I enjoyed this book. It's got lots of tension and twist and turns in it. I feel bad for the dogs, especially Maggie. The characters are very believable. #The Keepers #NetGalley

Amazing read! I absolutely love this series of books! I received an advance reader copy of this book but trust me, that in no way has any bearing on my review of this book. I would gladly buy this book after reading the first one in the series. The good guys win again but this time it comes at a big price. I don’t want to spoil the book for anyone else so I won't go into detail. There are a lot of twists and turns that I did not expect and some that really made me angry at the bad guys, but overall this is an amazing book. Definitely recommend and if you haven’t read the first book in this series, I recommend that as well.

Mace, Kippy and Vira are back solving crimes. I really love this series. Mace and his pack of dogs who solve crimes in a unique way. The Keepers is a different kind of book. Packed with thrilling suspense and lovable characters, especially the dogs! Keep em coming Jeffrey B. Burton. Special thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin’s press and Sara Beth Harding for this sneak peek!!

Mace and his team of cadaver dogs are in for a wild ride! First they are called, by his Police Officer friend Kippy, out to a fire where he and Vira, one of his team, find the remains of an Employment Attorney who had been murdered and assaulted prior to the fire. Then they are called to Washington Park where they find the remains of a Special Prosecutor who had also been murdered and assaulted. Going further into this well plotted and well written novel would be unfair to readers, but it is action filled and will keep you up reading what happens next. Chicago policing and politics leave lots of room for creativity. It will also quite possibly grab your emotions when you see what evil people will try to do to other humans and canines. Thanks to Net Galley and Minotaur for an ARC for an honest review. I am looking forward to the next installment of this series.

I received an ARC of this book. This is the second book in the series. I liked this one even better than the first. It's a story about a man and his team of specialized search dogs. They are called upon again to assist the Chicago police to investigate a series of murders. Nail-biting action, great characters, and awesome dogs. Loved this book and highly recommend!

Burton does it again! Coming in hot with a second novel in his K-9 series that leaves nothing to be desired. I adored the first novel in this series...and the second is just as good featuring all the same characters: Mace, Kippy, and the canine girls (Vira, Maggie May, and Delta Dawn). Honestly, the dogs truly make the book unique to other mystery/thriller novels. Who doesn’t love a good story with a dog, or multiple involved? I have to say Vira is my favorite thus far! This novel has it all: suspense, mystery, deeply veiled corruption, and budding romance that’s very tastefully written and entirely a non-issue if you’re not into that type of thing as it is certainly not a focus. The plot is a nail-biter with many twists and turns that leave you on the edge of your seat needing to know more. I was stunned speechless in many parts and on the border of tears of anguish in others. Burton hits you with all the feels. The grand reveal and the ending are well-done and wrap up all the main plot aspects nicely. All in all, a thoroughly well-done book. I cannot wait to see where the next installment in the series will take us! <i>I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher, St Martin’s Press, for this advanced digital copy and the opportunity to read this novel in exchange for an honest review! All opinions expressed are my own. Upon publishing of this novel, I will also be posting my review to Amazon Canada.</i>

This, the 2nd book in the K-9 series, in my opinion, is better than the 1st. Mace Reid and his dogs keep you fully engrossed in this book. This is a fast paced read and I barely did anything else while I was reading it. It doesn't hurt if you love dogs and mysteries. Thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.

Wonderful follow-up to the Finders. Back are Vira, Maggie May, Mace, Kippy and Wabs. When Vira identifies a killer as the driver for a high ranking official in the Police Department, Mace, Kippy and Wabs begin to investigate how high the corruption goes. Cannot give more details or it would give away the plot. This book is fast paced, exciting, thrilling and heart-breaking. It was well written and I stayed up to finish it. Would recommend this author again.

Author : Jeffrey B. Burton The Keepers: A Mystery (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery Book 2) 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Description: Jeffrey B. Burton's The Keepers is the next installment of the Mace Reid K-9 series, featuring golden retriever cadaver dog Vira and her handler, Mason Reid. Mason “Mace” Reid lives on the outskirts of Chicago and specializes in human remains detection—that is, he trains dogs to hunt for dead bodies. He calls his pack of cadaver dogs The Finders, and his prize pupil is a golden retriever named Vira. When Mace Reid and Vira are called in to search Washington Park at three o'clock in the morning, what they find has them running for their very lives. The trail of murder and mayhem Mace and CPD Officer Kippy Gimm have been following leads them to uncover treachery and corruption at the highest level, and their discoveries do not bode well for them . . . nor for the Windy City itself. The Keepers is an exciting, fast-paced mystery filled with courageous dogs you'll want to root for. 🐾MY REVIEW🐾 I was so excited when I got the email asking me to read and review The Keepers. I read book 1 back on May of last year and loved it. Jeffrey B. Burton keeps you glued to this story from the first page to the last! Such an excellent book. The author also starts out the book with a whole lot of action and does not let up throughout the entire book. It grabbed me right away and kept me interested to the end. He created a believable storyline and realistic characters. I felt satisfied by the ending of the book as well. It was the perfect length - not too long and not too short. His books are very exciting and the characters are like ordinary people which i love. This is a well written, story that I gladly recommend for others to read. *******Disclosure******* I just want to say Thank you to author, publisher, and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this 5 star story . I truly appreciate it! I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions I have expressed are my own or those of my family. ************************* #NetGalley #JeffreyBBurton #TheKeepers #MaceReidK9Mystery

Review of Uncorrected Digital Galley The Finders are Mason Reid’s cadaver dogs and golden retriever Vira is the prize pupil who has a surprising, unique skill. When Mace and Vira search Chicago’s Washington Park in the wee hours of the morning, they find much more than the body they’d anticipated they would locate. Now their lives are in jeopardy and the corrupted trail of murder and mayhem leads them through the city to an unexpected source that threatens Mace, the dogs, his police department friends, and the Windy City itself. As surprising revelations place Mace and the dogs in danger, will they find a way to make things right without sacrificing themselves? Second in the Mace Reid K-9 mystery series, “The Keepers” is a solid addition to the series that also works well as a stand-alone. Filled with well-developed, realistic characters and a strong sense of place, the action-packed story pulls the reader in from the beginning of the narrative and keeps the suspense ramped up as the story unfolds. The complex plot takes several unexpected twists and turns, with bits of humor serving as a counterpoint to the grittiness, keeping the complex tale entertaining and the readers involved in the unfolding story. And while there’s no mystery as to who’s doing the killing, there’s plenty of suspense in the larger story of who is pulling all the strings. But as exciting as the mystery surrounding the murders may be, the true heart of this story is the relationship between Mace and the dogs. Sue, Delta Dawn, Maggie May, Elvira, and Bill . . . Mace’s “kids” . . . are all well-drawn, vital characters, each playing an important role in the telling of this tale. They are, by turns, smart, brave, and instinctive. The relationship between the dogs and their people is truly heart-warming. Readers are sure to find much to appreciate here; they will find it difficult to set this one aside before turning the final page. This book deserves a place on everyone’s must-read list. Highly recommended. I received a free copy of this eBook from St. Martin’s Press / Minotaur Books and NetGalley #TheKeepers #NetGalley

Wow! The scintillating sequel to 'The Finders' is a really riveting read. I enjoyed the first book in the series but, to be honest, 'The Keepers' moves the Mace Reid K9 Mysteries to a whole new level. Burton hits the ground running from the start with this thrilling adventure. There's no slow burn here. The action comes fast and furious. And, that's a good thing. The plot is something which easily could have been 'ripped from the headlines' too. There's no shortage of memorable characters in this book. The 'man mountain' will certainly have few peers for most memorable fictional bad guys of 2021. I can't get over just how entertaining 'The Keepers' is. It's such a enthralling and fun read. I had looked forward to this sequel but had no expectations it would prove to be as good as it is. I can't wait for the next adventure! Thank you to St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books, and NetGalley for the advance reading copy.

Corruption in Chicago reaches the highest ranks in The Keepers, the 2nd in Jeffrey B. Burton's Mace Reid K-9 series. Law enforcement often calls on Mace's pack of dogs who are trained in humnan remains detection. His Golden, Vira, has a special talent as well. Not only can she find human remains, she can also identify the culprit. When she has a reaction to local dignitaries, things get scary fast. I am a huge fan of Burton's writing style. Fast paced and incredibly suspenseful. Makes it tough to put down the book. Just one more chapter... I had problems deciding between a 4* and 5* rating. Ultimately I went with 4* because even in fiction, dogs should not be that badly hurt!

I love this series and this installment was very interesting. I was turning pages and did not want to stop. I loved the wit sprinkled in, along with the suspense. The plot was very well written and I recommend. Many thanks to St. Martin’s Press and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Macon Reid trains Human Remains detection dogs and aids the Chicago PD on several cases. His calls his pack of dogs the finders. One of his dogs Vera a golden retriever has a special talent she can detect people involved in crime by their scent which she alerts Macon to. This book is the second in this series and more graphics then the first.

Dogs and the guy who loves them! Even better, dogs that are specially trained and talented and the guy who gives back to them, defends them and is downright likable to boot! THE KEEPERS by Jeffery B. Burton is part mystery, part human-animal relationship and devotion and completely entertaining! Moments of humor, moments of heartbreak and moments that shine through make this murder mystery one fantastic read! The main character has his issues, but the dogs steal the show as they prove that they truly are man’s best friend and excellent sleuths, too. Mace is kind of a loner, but Vira, his almost magical pup is proof that dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. A wonderful read with a great mystery, animal heroics and dogs! I received a complimentary ARC edition from Minotaur Books! This is my honest and voluntary review.

An easy to read thriller which is the second installment of the Mace Reid cadaver sniffing dog books. Since I am a dog lover I enjoyed it immensely. The story involves Mace and his dogs finding a body which ends up being covered up by certain people which I will not name.

The Keepers by Jeffrey B. Burton If you are a dog person you will love this book but be aware that there may be things that will give you issues. Mason Reid and the kids are back. The kids being a Golden Retriever, two Collies, a German Shepard, and a bloodhound pup. Mason is a human remains detection specialist or the parent of the human remains detecting pooches. The team gets caught up in Chicago corruption. The author depicts extraordinary talents in the dogs. He also clearly shows the level of commitment that dogs give to their human parents. Love, loyalty, and bravery are not strictly human traits. The dogs show those traits in spades. Mason is still yearning Kippy. This was an excellent second book and it did justice to the dogs and human characters. I really enjoyed the book and recommend it.

I was happy to read the first book in this series, and thrilled to read the second. Mason “Mace” Reid lives on the outskirts of Chicago and specializes in human remains detection—that is, he trains dogs to hunt for dead bodies. He calls his pack of cadaver dogs The Finders, and his prize pupil is a golden retriever named Vira. When Mace Reid and Vira are called in to search Washington Park at three o'clock in the morning, what they find has them running for their very lives. The trail of murder and mayhem Mace and CPD Officer Kippy Gimm have been following leads them to uncover treachery and corruption at the highest level, and their discoveries do not bode well for them . . . nor for the Windy City itself. The Keepers is an exciting, fast-paced mystery filled with courageous dogs you'll want to root for. Jeffrey B. Burton has created a very likable cast of characters, human and canine. I'm hoping for more books in this series. Go, Vira!!!!

Book 2 in the series and this one is just as entertaining. With Chicago and it’s dirty politics as its backdrop, Mace Reid and his trusty ‘kids’ get pulled into the mysterious death of a famous rockstar. That death leads to a bigger conspiracy and multiple death, which Mace and his cop friend Kippy work to solve. You don’t need to have read book 1 to enjoy this book but it will provide context that can be helpful. This is a faster paced mystery and Burton’s style of injecting quips and sarcasm throughout the book make it a fun read. Thanks to NetGalley and St Martins Press for the arc.

Special Thanks to NetGalley, St Martin's Press/Minotaur Books, and Jeffrey Burton. I read this as an advanced readers copy in exchange for an unbiased review. While this is the second in the series, The Keepers can be read as a standalone story. Only after reading did I discover it was a sequel. Mace Reid keeps and trains cadaver dogs, that is dogs used to sniff human remains in adverse circumstances. Not only are they 'police' dogs, he calls them his kids. The story has a good plot, heartwarming moments, shocking suspense moments, and even laugh out loud moments. It was a bit far fetched in thinking a deep rooted mob could be taken down or out by shedding light on corruption, but it was a truly enjoyable read. Now to go back and read the first in the series, "The Finders."

I love all the characters in these books, including and especially the dogs. Vira, Sue, Maggie May and Delta Dawn are joined by a newbie, soon-to-be-trained cadaver dog Billie. I hope we get to see more of Billie in future books, as he’s just a puppy in this one and not in on the action. I really love how fast-paced this is, and even though you are told early on who the killer is, you’re still on the edge of your seat to see what will happen. Mace and Kippy and Wabs are the human dream team, with Mace’s dogs rounding out the unit. Loyal dogs, mafia, corrupt cops and those even higher on their payroll - it all leads to an explosive finale! If you like thrillers, dogs, and/or David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter books, then you need to check out this series!

In this stunning sequel to The Finders, Mace Reid must use his pack of dogs to aid in another murder. Diving into a world of mobsters, police corruption, and multiple plots, Mace may not make it out alive. I hardcore love the breakdown of sections in this novel. It keeps it fresh and interesting rather than droning on. This was an interesting murder mystery thriller that kept me on my toes till the last chapter. And for newcomers reading this first, there is enough background knowledge that there isn't an extreme need to read the first book, other than to meet one of the most important dogs. We see more of a relationship growth between Mace and Kippy and it's completely adorable but doesn't draw attention away from the main plot. It's more of showing how their experiences bring them closer and friends and potentially more. Overall a great read. And made me a little bit teary eyed.

My thanks to Net Galley for inviting me to read my second book in this series. Mace Reid, owner of an agency that uses cadaver dogs to assist the police, and Officer Kippy Gimm are back again in this tale of a public figures murder, corruption, racketeering, mob hits., and of course, delightful dogs. Enjoyed this very much. Quick, easy , read, well developed protagonists, and the focus on the dogs. Unique and different read!

I had read the first one in this series and really liked it. I was excited to be given the opportunity to read this one. It was a good police type book. Some of his interactions with the dogs were cute too. I felt kinda bad for the dogs that got hurt towards the end. I really expected this book to be more about his dog finding dead bodies and not so much about police corruption. Overall I didn’t care for this one as much as the first. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy

Well done Jeffrey! A unique view behind the scenes in police investigation. Dogs really are our best friends and their abilities can be amazing. Quickly paced, plausible, and enough turns to keep things moving allong. Please Sir; can I have some more?

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review. Expected publication date: June 29, 2021 “The Keepers” by Jeffrey B. Burton is the second novel in the Mace Reid K9 series (the first one being, “The Finders”, which I also had the oppourtunity to read and review). Mace Reid and his cadaver dogs are called in to investigate a murder in Washington Park, but what they find there is far more than just a dead body. Soon, Mace, his dogs and police officer Kippy Gimm are on the run from the Chicago mob, and this is one race that will only end in death. With greed, political corruption and intense mob intimidation, Mace and Kippy are forced to take on the most powerful men in Chicago, who will stop at nothing to keep their power. Mason (Mace) Reid is a likable character, and his charming nature continues throughout the second novel. He acquires a new dog, Bill, who joins his seriously adorable brood of cadaver sniffing dogs, including Vira, who made her first appearance in the last book, as the almost psychically talented leader of the pack. Kippy returns in this novel too, and of course the romantic tension still exists between our two main characters, continuing the will-they-or-won’t-they questioning that presented itself in the first novel. The greatest characters by far, of course, are the dogs, who use their innate training and intuition to find dead bodies and essentially, save the day. This novel has a lot of characters, including a lot of high-powered politicians and downright dirty-deed doers. Although most of the novel was told from Mace’s perspective, we did get a few sections that would be narrated by one or more of the leaders of Chicago’s seedy underbelly. It was difficult at first to sort through who was who, and exactly who was working for whom, but the dark revelations of Chicago’s crime-powered leaders was interesting and likely, all too realistic. The ending finally provided a resolution to the will-they-or-won’t-they question between Kippy and Mace. “The Keepers” plays out like a Hollywood action movie, full of gunfire and fistfights, where the hero comes out on top. It was an engaging and gripping read, peppered with brave and adorable cadaver dogs, and I look forward to seeing more of Mace Reid in the near future.

The Keepers, by Jeffrey B. Burton, is a fast-paced, action-packed crime mystery. Mason “Mace” Reid raises and trains cadaver dogs, dogs specializing in human remains detection. He refers to his dogs as his kids and calls them The Finders. Of course, they are all talented but Vira, his golden retriever, has a gift. Mace and Vira work alongside Chicago Police Officer Kippy Gimm to solve murders, uncover corruption, expose a Chicago mob boss, and more. I enjoyed the twists and turns in this book. Although we learned who some of the culprits were before the climax, there were still enough surprises and suspense waiting until the very end. I recommend this book for those who enjoy crime mysteries, especially when some of the main characters are dogs! Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to review this ARC. This is my honest review of the book, a book I recommend. I look forward to more of Jeffrey Burton's books!

I would like to thank NetGalley and St Martens Press for the opportunity to read the second book in this series. As with the first book I have to say that no dogs died in this book. Mason and his pack of dogs help to find cadavers and Vira seems to have a knack of finding killers. The author created amazing characters, especially the dogs who each have a unique personality and it adds a touch of humour to a violent story like to here Mace talking to the dogs. The bad guys are over the top bad which makes them easier to hate. Set in Chicago and the “dirty cops” along with the mob you are guaranteed to endure a lot of violence in this book. It wasn’t over the top explicit so I wasn’t too gory. The author created a good storyline and there were times I didn’t want to put the book down but some of the filler was long and boring and I found myself speed reading through those parts. An all round exciting story with amazing dogs and good characters. A great combo that provides you with an exciting murder/crime book

Mace has taught his dogs to find cadavers and to smell the killer, too. He has a crush on the cop he works with but she just wants to be friends. He gets a call and heads out to with his dogs. St. Martin's Press and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you). It will be published June 29th. One victim was really beat up. When they find the band member that left the group, the dog goes on high alert. That's one killer found. The other cases are more complex. They are finding important people killed. The cops are working with the mob and anyone that doesn't do what he's told ends up dead. As they learn who is involved, it's apparent that they will need the help of the FBI to take them down. But they need proof. Their investigation gets more dangerous every minute. Will they survive to take down the bad guys or will the bad guys win?

This is the 2nd in a great series which follows a guy who works with 'scent detection' dogs, like cadaver dogs, assisting police at crime or accident scenes. It follows a pretty fast pace, has lots of action & is a compelling read. It has some scary, potentially gruesome scenes, but the author navigates these in a manner that conveys the moment but is 'readable'. Definitely a good follow-up to his 1st in the series, which was also very good. I recommend this to all who like dogs & a good mystery/thriller. I'll definitely continue to read in this series! I received an e-ARC of this book from St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books via NetGalley, after offering to read it & post my own fair/honest review.

Love this series with Jeffery Burton. It is interesting to learn about the job and abilities of cadaver dogs. Pretty fascinating how they perceive the world around them with their ability to smell so much better than humans. I try to imagine how different my life would be, if I were a cadaver dog:) Book is bloody is spots, and was hard for me to read, due to the writing being so realistic, I felt I was witnessing things first hand! I would of went with 5 stars, but I wasn't really connecting with Viva's special senses. It felt super natural to me, which isn't a genre I enjoy much., but still a good read!

It took a bit for this one to take off but once it did, I could NOT put it down! Mace and his cadaver dogs are quite the team but his dog Vira has something special that can detect and sense things most dogs can't. As he and detective Detective Kippy Gimm start finding answers to a recent murder, someone else is hot on their trail doing their best to make sure the truth stays hidden. Just how far will the real killers go to keep the secret and who is at the top of the chain calling the shots?

Mace Reid is a twenty-something who trains cadaver dogs and is frequently hired by the Chicago Police Force. One of his dogs - golden retriever Vira - is something special. Besides being able to find dead bodies, she can also find the scent of the person who made them dead which has come in handy on some occasions. Mace is recently divorced but is beginning a new relationship with Officer Kippy Gimm who is determined to become a detective. She calls Mace in when one of his idols, one-hit-wonder Jonny Whiting, is found beaten to death in his condo. Mace and Vira manage to get in under the guise of Vira being a drug sniffing dog when she catches the scent of Jonny's killer. Kippy, her partner Wabs, and Mace begin an investigation to discover the murderer and Vira comes through. Meanwhile, another series of murders are taking place in Chicago which include an investor in from Minneapolis and the head of a Police group dealing with organized crime. Mace in called in to try to locate the cop and does manage to find him. Vira also gets a scent of the killer and alerts when the Police Commissioner and his driver arrive at the scene. But finding evidence to convict a Police Commissioner without becoming a casualty themselves really tests the ability of Kippy, Wabs, and Mace and his dogs. This was a real page turner that I really enjoyed. It was fast-paced and action-packed. I like Mace who isn't the smartest or the bravest guy in the room but who is completely devoted to his dogs and their welfare. I liked his growing relationship with Kippy. I liked that, while most of the story is from Mace's point-of-view, Kippy does get some point-of-view time too.

The Keepers – Jeffrey B. Burton Mason Reed is a K9 handler who teaches his dogs to sniff out human remains. He has a small crew of talented animals, but golden retriever Vira is a standout – she alone can detect and remember the scent of a killer – a talent that very few people are privy to. Officer Kippy Gimm is one of those people, and she’s summoned Mace & Vira to the scene of a brutal murder, where a well-known musician has been found dead in his kitchen. As Vira walks the scene under the pretense to look for drugs, when Mace & Vira catch a quick glimpse of the body, they see evidence of a brutal assault. Ushered off the scene, he can only hope Vira was able to catch a scent. Later, when a search for missing Special Prosecution Bureau member Peter Feist culminates in his body being found in a nearby park, the victim of a brutal killing, Vira alerts Mason to the killer almost immediately during a chance meeting, opening up a big can of worms, as Vira has just implicated one of the cities’ highest-ranking officials in the murder. Vira’s behavior has also set the killer’s sights on Mason… Mason, Kippy & Kippy’s partner “Wabs” regroup with this newfound knowledge, to decide how to best proceed. When a meeting with a city official goes goes unexpectedly awry, Mason & Kippy find themselves framed for a number of crimes and fleeing for their very lives with the dogs. In an effort to find the information that got Peter Feist killed, they head to his mountain cabin in hopes of finding some incriminating info. But someone else is heading that way as well. Can Mason & Kippy find what they need to put the killer away? Or will the killer find them first?? This was a great read! It was a bit slow to start for me, but once I had a feel for the characters, and things started happening, the book moved at dizzying speed, in an edge-of-your-seat cat and mouse game between Mason & the killer whom Vira inadvertantly identifies. I like the character development I see in Mason, and I am elated to see that Kippy is going to give him a chance. The dogs, particularly Vira, are front line characters in their own right, and I will be anxious to ‘see’ them again as well. If you love dogs, and enjoy the Ryder Creed, Mercy Carr and/or Meg Jennings K9 series, you’ll love Mason Reid as well!