Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #ViralBSMedicalMythsandWhyWeFallforThem #NetGalley
In Viral BS, medical journalist, doctor, professor, and former CDC disease detective Seema Yasmin, driven by a need to set the record straight, dissects some of the most widely circulating medical myths and pseudoscience. Exploring how epidemics of misinformation and disinformation can spread faster than microbes, Dr. Yasmin asks why bad science is sometimes more believable and contagious than the facts. Each easy-to-read chapter covers a specific myth, whether it has endured for many years or hit the headlines more recently. Dr. Yasmin explores such pressing questions as
• Do cell phones, Nutella, or bacon cause cancer?
• Does playing football cause brain disease?
• Should you eat your placenta?
• Do the flat tummy teas promoted by celebs on Instagram actually work?
• Is the CDC banned from studying guns?
• Do patients cared for by female doctors live longer?
• Is trauma inherited?
• Is suicide contagious?
and much more.
Taking a deep dive into the health and science questions you have always wanted answered, this authoritative and entertaining book empowers readers to reach their own conclusions. Viral BS even comes with Dr. Yasmin's handy pull-out-and-keep Bulls*%t Detection Kit.