The Keeper of Stories

Pub Date 28 Feb 2022 | Archive Date Not set

A feel good and uplifting book club read you won’t be able to put down!

She can’t recall what started her collection. Maybe it was in a fragment of conversation overheard as she cleaned a sink? Before long (as she dusted a sitting room or defrosted a fridge) she noticed people were telling her their stories. Perhaps they always had done, but now it is different, now the stories are reaching out to her and she gathers them to her…

Cleaner Janice knows that it is in people’s stories that you really get to know them. From recently-widowed Fiona and her son Adam; to opera-singing Geordie; and the awful Mrs ‘YeahYeahYeah’ and her fox terrier, Decius, Janice has a unique insight into the community around her.

When Janice starts cleaning for Mrs B – a shrewd and tricksy woman in her nineties – she finally meets someone who wants to hear her story. But Janice is clear: she is the keeper of stories, she doesn’t have a story to tell. At least, not one she can share.

Mrs B is no fool and knows there is more to Janice than meets the eye. What is she hiding? After all, doesn’t everyone have a story to tell?

A feel good and uplifting book club read you won’t be able to put down!

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$11.99 (AUD)

I loved this book and main character. Janice is a hard working woman, married to a slouch, who doesn't know her own worth. She is “ just a cleaner” but through her daily interactions with her clients we see how truly special she is. Her client's are great characters all on their own. I really enjoyed this. Well done.

Janice is a quite woman who would not stand out in a crowd. Not because she's unimportant but because that's the way she wants to be ,she wants to fade into the shadows and not bring attention to herself. Janice is a cleaner, a cleaner who visits lots of houses cleaning and collecting their stories. She now has a whole library of stories inside her head tore tell. When Janice goes to work for the cantankerous Mrs B she is asked what her story is. Janice doesn't have one, but she does. It's buried so deeply inside her and has a wall built around it that she cannot get it out and Janice needs too. I enjoyed this book. The author could have written a book of short stories but instead she has woven them into this wonderful story of love, of guilt and of happy endings. Love it.

The Keeper of Stories is an interesting, enjoyable and quite engaging story, I particularly enjoyed it as I love to hear peoples stories myself. I think anyone who is fascinated in people's lives, with love this book and be completely engrossed from start to finish.

Wow, what a fantastic book that kept me rooting for the main character, Janice. Janice had had a hard life and is married to one of life’s takers. She works hard cleaning but along the way she collects other people’s stories never giving away her story. Until that is she starts cleaning for Mrs B, a lady who becomes an import part of Janice's life. I loved Adam, who had lost his father, a dog helped him start to heal and played an important role in the book. The book has so many interesting characters, each with their own story and I loved it.

A lovely story of Janice the cleaner who collects other people’s stories, whilst keeping her own story hidden. When the story does emerge it is sad but ultimately uplifting. Great characters and a wonderful ending.

What a brilliant novel! So many interesting characters covering a wide range of emotions from grief, anger and guilt to respect, growing confidence and blossoming romance. I fell in love with the cheeky Decius who had an impact on several of the characters' lives. This is my favourite book of the year. Highly recommended.

This is a really great read. I started it worrying it was going to be sentimental but it wasn’t at all - the writer’s voice is fresh and the pace of the story never falters. I loved all of the characters, especially the sweary dog.

Janice is a cleaner. She sees many things as she goes about her work and feels everyone has a story to tell- just one that makes them who they are. She really doesn't like her husband any more- he has had almost a job for every year she has known him and she finds him dull and tedious so she finds life in other people. When she goes to clean for Mrs B, she finally meets someone who wants to know her story- but does she have one? This is a treasure of a read- there is just that certain something about Janice that keeps the pages turning- to me the skill of an excellent author. I believe that this is a debut novel- wow- keep me posted for the next one please- a stunning piece of writing that makes reading this so easy and a pleasure-not something everyone can do. A warmth of characters that you can't help but take to and a story that invites you in with a welcome. A highly recommended read. (rest of links on publication)

This new to me author, Sally Page, has written a beautiful, heartfelt, wonderful story! This book is one that once you pick it up, you will not want to put it down. Full of engaging characters that keeps the reader wanting for more. The main character, Janice (the cleaner), is the Keeper of Stories. She loves hearing everyone else’s stories but doesn’t really feel she has one herself, Janice truly doesn’t realize her own worth and as the book progresses you will find yourself wanting to befriend Janice. This is a wonderful story and beautifully written, It’s an extremely easy read and one that you will not want to put down. Thank you to #netgalley, #harpercollinsUK and #SallyPage for giving me the opportunity to read this lovely story.

Janice collects other stories but does not think she is worthy of her own story. She is a mother of an adult son, has a husband (meh) and quietly goes through life, working as a house cleaner. She has a childhood secret that makes her feel undeserving of a story of her own. As Janice puts it, she is JUST THE CLEANER.. Mrs. B, a feisty ex-spy and new client helps Janice see that she can have her own story. Along the way, you will meet Decius-the cussing terrier, Geordie-the singer and Euen who looks like a geography teacher. And more memorable characters. This is such a feel good book. Janice soon realizes that she is NOT JUST THE CLEANER and I thoroughly enjoyed going on that journey with her. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.