Return of the Raven

The Novels of Ravenwood

Pub Date 17 Feb 2021 | Archive Date 15 Mar 2021

Talking about this book? Use #ReturnoftheRaven #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Margaret, Lady Ravenwood, is trapped in a loveless marriage and firmly entrenched in the medieval world. Along comes Griffin Nightshade, a historian from the future whose soul resonates with hers. He persuades her to return with him to the 1950s, but heeding her heart means courting danger from a curse that could spell her doom.

Haunted by his parents' sudden deaths, Griffin knows all too well the pain born of love lost. He guards his emotions, but Margaret delves deep and goes straight to the soul. She's hard to resist…and harder to set free.

The heart's desire and history's demands don't always agree. Yet true love is eternal.

EDITION Ebook

… A woman desperate to outlive a curse. A man anxious to help. Together, as they forge a bond, they reshape the past as well as the future... In January 2020, we read Night of the Owl, for us the first of Judith Sterling's time traveling historical romances. There we met Ardyth Nightshade, a woman with a brain, imagination and courage. Fast forward to February 2021 as we met her parents [Margaret, Lady Ravenwood, and Griffen Nightshade], we knew immediately where Ardyth got her spunk. Margaret is functioning under the ages old Ravenwood Curse: unless a child is conceived in love, the mother will die in childbirth. Sadly, she is saddled with a brute of a husband who not only loathes her but is after her holdings. Not exactly what we’d call a loving union. Enter, by accidental discovery of Woden’s Stairs on his newly inherited Elizabethan manor, Griffen Nightshade, concert pianist and newly conferred PhD in medieval studies. The attraction is immediate and intense. Their actions to break the curse—and save their love and the lives of future children—is inventive and action-packed. We have often said, writing historical fiction of any sub-genre is not for the wilting lilies of the world. Author Sterling entertained us with her intensive research into herbs and medicinals of the day as well as her delicious sense of humor. Imagine an 11th century woman viewing a telephone, then an automobile, followed by the workings of an electric light switch. A complete and utter hoot. On a scale of 1-5, Return of the Raven, bk 5 of the Novels of Ravenwood, earns a 6 Kat Henry Doran, Wild Women Reviews

An absolutely outstanding book. I was definitely intrigued by the characters and the plot. Impossible to not enjoy everything about it.