For Malice and Mercy

A World War II Novel

Pub Date 15 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 15 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #malicemercy #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

German immigrants Karl and Marta Meyer are loyal Americans, especially after an eye-opening visit to see their family during Hitler’s pre-war rise to power. When America enters the war, the FBI arrests the Meyers as spies, then strips them of their citizenship, rights, and livelihood. They are banished to a German/Japanese internment camp, but then violently targeted by Hitler loyalists. Deportation back to war-torn Germany seems their only hope of survival. Their son Hank enlists in the US Army Air Corps, hoping his pay can save the family’s home. After his B-17 is shot down, his ability to speak fluent German helps him evade capture. When the Gestapo is on his trail, he’s pursued as a spy and faces certain death if they can catch him. His life depends on the daring plan of two unlikely collaborators. This meticulously researched novel reveals untold stories of legalized hatred and the cost of unjustified suspicion. For Malice and Mercy has great relevance for our day, weaving a spellbinding saga of treachery, survival, and unmerited forgiveness.

A Note From the Publisher

This meticulously researched WWII family saga is inspired by actual events, revealing little known stories of government and personal betrayal, and the result of unmerited forgiveness.

Advance Praise

"...dramatically engaging and unsettling...(it's) a disturbing, provocative, and vivid war tale that’s loaded with lesser-known historical details."  - Kirkus Reviews

"Multifaceted, complex, and satisfyingly realistic. No World War II fiction collection should be without this wide-ranging story of mystery, struggle, and social and political dilemmas."   -  Midwest Book Review

A well-researched, well written and interesting portrait. The story creates characters that the reader cares about, and their fates are by no means assured in the time of war; readers will keep turning the pages to find out what happens next.”  -  IndieReader

"For those drawn to the intricacies of wartime drama, For Malice and Mercy delivers a well-crafted account of sacrifice and betrayal, triumph and forgiveness, all in the face of the human will to survive.  - Blue Ink Reviews

"Multifaceted, complex, and...

Marketing Plan

Initial print run 25,000.  Author tour in Texas, Washington D.C. and Salt Lake City. Coop funds available.

This book was well researched and well paced with an intriguing storyline that is not often included in historical fiction books set in this time. The notes explaining where the author got the ideas were interesting and a welcome footnote at the end of each chapter. I throughly enjoyed this book and hope to read another by this author soon

A spellbinding story! I found it difficult to tear myself away from this book. Full of history and fiction for entertainment. You will find yourself holding your breath waiting to find out what happens next. Wonderfully written characters you'll connect with and find yourself cheering for throughout the book. Amazing book, I couldn't put down. Certainly one you should add to your "To Read List".

German immigrants Karl and Marta Meyer are very loyal Americans living in Utah with their son, Hank and daughter, Ella. They had come to America for the religious freedom it offers as they were Morman. When America enters the war against Germany, Karl and Marta are arrested as spies and stripped of their citizenship. Their teenaged children are left to maintain their house, farm and farm animals. They are sent to a German/Japanese internment camp where there are violently targeted by Nazi supporters. Their children were surprised at how many people that they thought were friends treated them horribly and taunted them including have red swastikas painted all over the front of their house. In order to have money to keep their house, Hank joins the US Army Air Corp. After training, he is sent over to England as a crew member on a B-17. HIs plane is shot down over Germany and he risks death if he is caught by the Gestapo.. Ella goes to nursing school. This book is a very accurate account of how Germans were treated in the USA during the war. The government covered it up after the war and made German American citizens sign documents that they would never speak of how they were treated to anyone or they risked deportation. This is an excellent book and I highly recommend it...

Once in a while you read a book that changes the way you think, "For Marlice and Mercy", is one of those books. A well written book about World War II history that I had never heard of. This story draws you into the lives of a family from Germany who were American Citizens who were sent to a remote internment camps (alongside the Japanese). I love how the author states historical facts, so that you know what he is writing is true. It is also about WASPS, women who flew military planes in the war, which is fascinating. I recommend reading this book.

I’ve read many WW2 novels but this one, which is inspired by true events, is a little known story which exposes the mistreatment from officials of the US Government. It’s a full bodied story about a German family living in Utah and the events and ramifications of WW2 that occur. Gary W Toyn took 4 years of meticulous research, including visiting the locations, to write ‘For Malice and Murder’, which was inspired by his friend’s war time story and what a story it is, full of historical facts which anchor the real horrors and consequences that were experienced through WW2 on a level that is quite unbelievable. A memorable book, prepared to be shocked, saddened and disbelieving of the terrible crimes committed however, the thread throughout the book is faith.

Thoroughly enjoyed this historical fiction set toggling between the USA and Germany during the World War 2 era. We followed a group of young adults out of Utah who came of age right as the enlistment and drafting was occurring. Each had a unique contribution to the war effort. Wonderful story. My favorite part was the unique use of footnotes in each chapter citing the evidence basis from which the author crafted the story.

This is a very interesting and well-researched novel. I learned a lot about the internment of Germans and the further treatment of Germans in the US. It surprised me that naturalized citizens had their citizenship stripped so easily. I also learned a lot about the WASPS. That was fascinating. Overall, the only thing I found distracting was the focus on faith and the Mormon church.

i loved this book is was a real epic adventure and so informative of how the war affected immigrant families .I was totally engrossed in each of the characters lives . They were all lovable and will recommend to all my friends

Lots has been written about the experience of Japanese-American immigrants during WWII. This is my first encounter with anything focused on the German-American experience. Gary Toyn's novel For Malice and Mercy is an eye-opener. This well-documented account of how Germans were treated in the USA during the war is heart-wrenching in retrospect, but sadly so believable. Their story was buried by our government after the war, when officials made German-American citizens sign non-disclosure agreements as a term of their release and return of property. These NDAs threatened deportation if they ever told how they were treated. Chapter end notes highlight the source of many experiences woven into the storyline. German immigrants Karl and Marta Meyer are very loyal Americans living in Utah with where they moved for religious freedom and raise a family in the Morman faith. But when America enters the war against Germany, Karl and Marta are arrested as spies and stripped of their citizenship. Their teenaged children are left to maintain their house, farm and farm animals. At the German/Japanese internment camp where they are sent, the couple is violently targeted by Nazi supporters. Their children, back in Utah, are shunned by friends and members of their church, and their home is trashed and tagged with red swastikas. As the war progresses, their son Hank joins the US Army Air Corp, both to defend his country and to earn money to pay their mortgage. After training as a crew member on a B-17, he's deployed to England and shot down over Germany. Captured and sent to a German POW camp, he hides his Germany roots to avoid the Gestapo labeling him as a spy. Meanwhile their daughter Ella goes to nursing school and works at a military hospital in Utah. Lots more happens to divide and haunt the family but I don't want to put any additional spoilers into the review. This book is a great read, especially for historical fiction fans. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance reader copy. This review is my own opinion.

I have read a lot of books about WWII, both fiction and non-fiction. I was aware that there were camps housing suspected "spies" in America during the war. I never read anything about them nor did I really even give them a second thought. Needless to say I have made a grave error in not learning more about some of the negative roles the U.S. itself played during the war. Always so used to hearing that horn being tooted and our praises sung about our dramatic and heroic entry into and subsequent defeat of the Nazi. I never considered that there are things we should bow our heads in shame about. No one is completely good or completely innocent, there is always a negative if you have a positive. I have just kept my blinders on too long. This novel is based on one German families true experiences during those times. The parents are naturalized American citizens, the children, having been born in the U.S. are U.S. citizens by birth. This does not protect them when the parents are arrested in the middle of the night on unsubstantiated claims of being spies and collaborating with the Germans against the U.S.. The children are left to try and maintain the family home and their way of life. The parents are stripped of their constitutional rights and ended up in horrific amps under appalling conditions until they were eventually deported back to Germany. The author took years to research this book meticulously and did a great job with it. We all know about the horror of Auschwitz, Dachau and the other German concentration camps, but there is little if anything said about the cruelty and mistreatment of fellow human beings on this side of the Atlantic. My parents never mentioned a thing about these camps and they were very much present and involved during WWII. Not a word was said. This is a wonderful, eye-opening experience for me, giving me many new things to contemplate and ponder about the U.S.'s role during WWII. Thank you to Net Galley and American Legacy Media for the free ARC of this novel, I am leaving my honest review voluntarily in return.

This engrossing novel is a family saga of the Meyer family, who were born in Germany and became US Citizens who started their family in the US, and how each one was affected by WWII both in Europe and their hometown in Utah. I’ve read numerous books about WWII, both fiction and non-fiction, and this author touched me to my core like no other. I never knew about the horrible detention camps for US citizens here in the USA where Americans were treated horrendously due to their heritage. I found this particular storyline to be upsetting and shocking as I never realized that Americans were treated so badly during the war on their own soil. I particularly enjoyed the author’s notes at the end of each chapter which gave the true account of events that occurred in the chapter. These notes made this historical fiction novel come to life, tugging at one’s heart when realizing these things happened to real people. If you’re a fan of WWII, this one needs to be on your TBR list!

I read For Malice and Mercy by Gary W. Toyn. This book is essentially about the treatment of loyal German-Americans and Japanese-Americans in America during the Second World War was beyond reprehensible. Of course there were those of German and Japanese descent who worked gladly as spies for their governments. Then there were those whose whole life had been lived as true loyal Americans, only to have their adopted country turn on them. Even good neighbors harbored suspicions and turned them in to the authorities for perceived subversive activities. This is the story of Karl and Marta Meyer, good American citizens whose neighbors brutally determined that they were a threat to America. The oldest son, Hank, joined the services in order to show his American loyalty. The parents, Karl and Marta were eventually taken from their farm and interred in a camp. Conditions there were less than good and eventually the two were sent back to Germany. There they lived the war as it happened with their relatives. I could tell more, but the story itself is so intriguing and suspenseful that I don’t think it would serve the future reader’s full enjoyment of reading the book. I loved the book and the author certainly did a wonderful job of keeping the reader involved to the end.

I have read dozens and dozens of books about World War II. This is the first book that I have read about the internment of German-Americans and the costs to those American citizens. The book is fiction, but based on many facts about the times. It is a well-written and fascinating story. Gut-wrenching at times, but well worth the read. I applaud the author.