Good Omens meets The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet in Ryka Aoki's Light From Uncommon Stars, a defiantly joyful adventure set in California's San Gabriel Valley, with cursed violins, Faustian bargains, and queer alien courtship over fresh-made donuts.
Shizuka Satomi made a deal with the devil: to escape damnation, she must entice seven other violin prodigies to trade their souls for success. She has already delivered six.
When Katrina Nguyen, a young transgender runaway, catches Shizuka's ear with her wild talent, Shizuka can almost feel the curse lifting. She's found her final candidate.
But in a donut shop off a bustling highway in the San Gabriel Valley, Shizuka meets Lan Tran, retired starship captain, interstellar refugee, and mother of four. Shizuka doesn't have time for crushes or coffee dates, what with her very soul on the line, but Lan's kind smile and eyes like stars might just redefine a soul's worth. And maybe something as small as a warm donut is powerful enough to break a curse as vast as the California coastline.
As the lives of these three women become entangled by chance and fate, a story of magic, identity, curses, and hope begins, and a family worth crossing the universe for is found.
- National author tour
- National print and online publicity campaign
- National consumer advertising campaign, including publications such as Bustle, Autostraddle, The Mary Sue, Goodreads, Tumblr, and other LGBTQ+ and fantasy venues
- Prepublication trade and consumer buzz campaign, including early-reader review programs, advertising, social media blitz, and NetGalley promotions
- Pre-order campaign with limited edition promotional item, supported via social media outreach and advertising
- Major ARC mailings to booksellers, librarians, media, and industry big mouths, including:
- Indie Next campaign
- Promotion at San Diego Comic-Con and New York Comic Con
- Curated influencer mailing targeting SF and LGBTQ+ Bookstagrammers, Booktubers, and BookTok tastemakers
- Major digital marketing campaign to include content reveals, author videos, newsletter promotions, sweepstakes, social takeovers, inclusion in ongoing “Space Is Gay” promotions, and more
- Digital preview
- Tor.com promotions including excerpts and review
- LGBTQ+ promotions