Ballad for Sophie

Pub Date 28 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 28 Sep 2021
IDW Publishing, Top Shelf Productions

Talking about this book? Use #BalladforSophie #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A young journalist prompts a reclusive piano superstar to open up, resulting in this stunning graphic sonata exploring a lifetime of rivalry, regret, and redemption.

1933. In the small French village of Cressy-la-Valoise, a local piano contest brings together two brilliant young players: Julien Dubois, the privileged heir of a wealthy family, and François Samson, the janitor's son. One wins, one loses, and both are changed forever.

1997. In a huge mansion stained with cigarette smoke and memories, a bitter old man is shaken by the unexpected visit of an interviewer. Somewhere between reality and fantasy, Julien composes, like in a musical score, a complex and moving story about the cost of success, rivalry, redemption, and flying pianos.

When all is said and done, did anyone ever truly win? And is there any music left to play?

1933. In the small French village...

This book is so good that I literally started applauding when I finished reading it. It is bigger than most of the books I’ve read for the Best Comics Committee but I finished it quickly because I just couldn’t stop reading. The main character is perfectly flawed. Though he tends to focus on his own moral failings, the author does a great job of showing the good, broken heart at the center of it. Though the majority of the story takes place in the past, I still deeply cared and worried about what would happen to the characters next. The art is fantastic. It has these very posh designs with these beautiful vibrant colors. When Ju went into a memory, the image shifts to blues and reds and it looks fantastic. I love how the book gently blurs the line between fantasy and reality. I love all the adorable animals. I love everything about this book.

This is a beautiful book filled with emotional, beautifully produced artwork. It's a story that takes you into the past, and weaves a musician's memories with the present. The use of colour and the interweaving themes are always touching, vibrant, and effective. It genuinely moved me. The story felt as though it was about music, regret, recovery and also, hope. Little details drew my attention back into the illustrations after I'd turned the page, again and again. An entire life, encapsulated in these pages. I loved the aspects of fantasy included, and Julien's life was never less than interesting, through its darker moments and brighter days. Thank you to NetGalley and IDW Publishing for the opportunity to review an ARC of this title.