The Christie Affair

A Novel

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Nina de Gramont's The Christie Affair is a beguiling novel of star-crossed lovers, heartbreak, revenge, and murder—and a brilliant re-imagination of one of the most talked-about unsolved mysteries of the twentieth century.

Every story has its secrets.
Every mystery has its motives.

“A long time ago, in another country, I nearly killed a woman. It’s a particular feeling, the urge to murder. It takes over your body so completely, it’s like a divine force, grabbing hold of your will, your limbs, your psyche. There’s a joy to it. In retrospect, it’s frightening, but I daresay in the moment it feels sweet. The way justice feels sweet.”

The greatest mystery wasn’t Agatha Christie’s disappearance in those eleven infamous days, it’s what she discovered.

London, 1925: In a world of townhomes and tennis matches, socialites and shooting parties, Miss Nan O’Dea became Archie Christie’s mistress, luring him away from his devoted and well-known wife, Agatha Christie.

The question is, why? Why destroy another woman’s marriage, why hatch a plot years in the making, and why murder? How was Nan O’Dea so intricately tied to those eleven mysterious days that Agatha Christie went missing?

PRICE CA$36.99 (CAD)

“The Christie Affair” by Nina de Gramont is a captivating historical fiction tale that offers its own spin on the famous writer Agatha Christie’s disappearance. Told from the perspective of the mistress that drives Mr. and Mrs. Christie apart, comes a harrowing tale of murder, mischief, and romance that will shock and stun readers. Finding out this story was going to be told from the mistress’s perspective was a bit disappointing. The fascination with the Christie Affair has to do with Agatha’s disappearance and where she went for those eleven days. What can “the other woman” offer in this story that will stand out amongst all the other tales of infidelity? What can she offer that will possibly be of interest? As it turns out, “the other woman,” “the homewrecker,” “the seductress,” has a lot to say. Gramont flips the stereotype of temptress on its head and presents a woman with a complicated and tragic backstory that readers will immediately be taken with. This character-driven novel shows the fragility and cruelty of human nature. This novel touches on a lot of tough subjects that may be triggering in an attempt to reveal human suffering in its intimate form, but also on a larger scale with the war that occurred around this time period. Gramont creates characters that are morally grey, who do terrible things because they feel it’s their only option … or maybe because they’re desperate. While some characters are easy to hate, readers will sympathize and root for most of them. Toss in a bit of a murder mystery in a true Agatha Christie fashion and this is a tale with an unstoppable pace that will be easily devoured. “The Christie Affair” by Nina de Gramont comes highly recommended for its sympathetic characters, the unexpected twists and turns, a bit of murder-mystery, and an original tale inspired by Agatha’s eleven-day disappearance and the woman responsible for it. This is definitely a novel to be on the lookout for on its expected publication date of February 1st, 2021. Thank you to St Martin’s Press for inviting me to read this e-arc and giving me the opportunity to share my honest thoughts and opinions in this review!

A surprisingly engaging read. Agatha Christie disappeared after being told by her Husband that he wants a divorce. This book is told mostly from the point of view of the Mistress, which gives quite the little twist. This is definitely a multi genre book. Historical fiction, but also a thriller. Read it when released and find out for yourself. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ #stmartinspress #ninadegramont

Let me start out by saying that Agatha Christie is my all-time favorite author and her personal life is just as intriguing as her books. This book was absolutely fantastic. We begin with the other woman. It's all right, clench your teeth, It's the reaction most of us get when we hear that phrase right. The author gives us the other woman in the form of Nan, competing for Agatha's husband Archie Christie. The interesting thing is, she gives us a back story as to why man is so set on getting Archie Christie. The heartbreaking thing is that Agatha is truly a lovely woman and her mother has recently passed away. Suddenly to add to all the drama, Agatha Christie disappears. She is just beginning to reach the heights of her career, not as successful as she will become, not the household name she will achieve, however a nationwide search begins. Will they find her? Is she truly dead? This is a fantastic page-turning book with several deaths in it. It is a fiction so don't take it as the gospel truth. (The real Other Woman was Nancy Neele but has been renamed Nan O'Dea.) I had a difficult time putting this book down and I think it would make an excellent movie. I definitely recommend this book.

The Christie Affair by Nina de Gramont is an excellent historical fiction novel that is so unique, gripping, and engaging. I highly recommend it. This is a wonderfully suspenseful story that depicts what could have happened during the short time frame Agatha Christie was missing not from the author’s perspective, nor from her questionable husband’s perspective, but in the voice of the “other woman” Nan O’Dea. This is fresh, fascinating, includes twists, turns, suspense, mystery, and truly was enjoyable from beginning to end. I dare anyone read this and not be completely drawn in! 5/5 stars Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

The other woman: Grr. That's the usual and understandable reaction, isn't it? In The Christie Affair, Nina de Gramont has Nan, the other woman competing for Agatha Christie's husband, act as the omniscient narrator. As the story continues, we learn why Nan is so keen on Archie Christie. Archie is so keen on Nan that he adds to his wife's misery at just having lost her mother. He tells her he wants a divorce. And Agatha Christie disappears. She was at the beginning of her career and, although successful, had not achieved the household name status we associate with her today. Despite a nationwide search, and pictures plastered in newspapers throughout the country, no one can find her. Until someone does. This book is a real page-turner, and just when you think things couldn't get stranger, two suspicious deaths pop up. Much of the book is fictional and it was fun to see what the search engines could prove or disprove. Nancy Neele has been renamed Nan O'Dea in The Christie Affair. But Agatha, Archie, and Nancy were real people, caught in their own tragic love triangle. Archie did marry Nancy and they remained married until her death 30 years later. Nina de Gramont has written a book that is hard to put down.

Absolutely loved this hist-fic mystery about the disappearance of Agatha Christie, as told by her husband’s lover. The deftly written tale grips with twists and turns that keep you pinned to the last page. Highly recommended for Christie fans and lovers of thrilling historical fiction! 5 of 5 Stars Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 #TheChristieAffair #NetGalley Thanks to the author, St. Martin's Press, and NetGalley for the ARC; opinions are mine.