What Can You Do with a Rock?

Pub Date 12 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set
SOURCEBOOKS Kids, Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

From award-winning author Pat Zietlow Miller, a timeless story about creativity, exploration, and friendship

What can you do with a rock?
You can skip them.
You can sort them.
Best of all, you can share them.

Rocks are simple, but the things you can do with them are endless. Rocks can build, sparkle, and tell a story. They can be memories. They can even be a little bit magic. This ode to curiosity and creative play from New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller and acclaimed illustrator Katie Kath is bound to inspire.

What can you do with a rock?
You can skip them.
You can sort them.
Best of all, you can share...

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. A great book for kids about all the things you can do with a rock collection.

Nice intro to rock collecting for kids! I love the end of the book where types of rocks are discussed. It reminded me of geology on school. I think kids can get into this book. year olds up. The story may seem a bit babyish to old kids, but they will read it just for the info on crafting and types of rock and how they are formed. I liked the illustrations for the younger group. May a nonfic can be gotten out of this book for older children, say 4-8 graders? Kudos to the authors for filling the gap!

Rocks are everywhere! They are free and readily available. By using your imagination they can be created into many different things. This fascinating story shows that rocks can ROCK! The award-winning author, Pat Zietlow Miller, suggests many ways you can engage with them. You can skip, sort, kick, drop, and change them into bridges, jewellery or mosaics just to name a few. But the best thing of all? You can share them with others. "Choose your friend carefully. People are like rocks. Some sparkle right away, while others seem ordinary at first, but have treasure deep inside. " The author takes something so readily available and simple and sparks kid's curiosities. She inspires them to focus on creative play and having fun with rocks. "Don't miss their magic. Don't walk by with your head in the air and your hands in your pockets." The illustrations are wonderful and enrich the text greatly. They are full of detail and invite you into the story. I love the book and encourage kids to... ROCK ON!

What a great book about rocks, imagination and friends. You can do so much with a rock: skip it, kick it, sort it, experiment with it, and of course share your love of rocks with a friend. A friend is like a rock because they might have treasure and magic deep inside. With your friend, listen to them and share your story as well, while making some new memories with your rock and your friend. This book makes me want to go outside and find some new rock friends! You can do a lot with this book with a class, and yes, a friend and two.

A sweet book that reminds me that ordinary things can be extraordinary, to mindfully explore the outdoors. and that a little imagination goes a long way. I really liked collecting rocks as a kid, and while almost every I knew in the 90s collected *something* rocks, for sure, weren't cool. I like that this book made me feel like it's okay to like what you like, and to learn more about what you love - rocks, or otherwise.