Crossbones

Pub Date 05 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 06 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #Crossbones #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Never trust a pirate.

The Blood Bell tolls, marking the death of the pirate king and the start of the Trials—a heart-stopping competition where the reward is the Bone Crown. Only one contender can claim the coveted island throne; each will gamble life and limb to win.

Captain. Sister. Maiden.
Csilla Abado yearns to prove her strength to the seasoned pirates who balk at her youth and to her elder sister who has always craved Csilla’s captainship. She will risk everything to become the first pirate queen, no matter the cost.

Dealer. Son. Legacy.
Kane Blackwater wants to leave behind the dirty gold and shady trades he’s made to keep his father’s ship, the Iron Jewel, alive. The Trials represent a new beginning—yet rumors of a secret heir are swirling, threatening his hopes of becoming the pirate king.

Stowaway. Daughter. Storm.
Lorelei Penny longs for nothing more than to avenge her mother’s death. Stowing away on the Iron Jewel was supposed to get her closer to the killer, but instead she finds herself caught up in the deadly battle where loyalty and desire collide.

Csilla. Kane. Lorelei. Each on a mission. The sea, however, has other plans. Dark tides are rising, and if they aren’t careful, they’ll surely drown.

Never trust a pirate.

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781989365793

Send To Kindle (PDF)

#Crossbones The book kept my attention and the characters are easy to root for in the story. I really think tweens and teens will enjoy the dark aspects of the novel.

CROSSBONES felt like being thrown into the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which I loved! The opening scene felt like something pulled straight from the script, which is always a great thing for a swashbuckling pirate book! The characters were likeable enough, and the relationships between them were complex. Seeing from Kane, Csilla, and Lorelai's switching POVs were well balanced and kept me interested in the characters, while also letting me breath and process each one. I loved Csilla and Rhoda's tension, as well as the action in the story. There was just enough to keep you on the edge of your seat, but not enough to make your brain tired. I liked the fast pace, it felt appropriate for the characters and plot. At times, the writing felt a little less than polished, with a few instances of repeating words and the like, but as this was an early copy, it's often the case. Overall, I though it was a solid read, and I can't wait to see what Vale does next! Thank you so much NetGalley for the early copy!

*****5 Stars! “𝘙𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦, 𝘺𝘰𝘶’𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘸. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘦𝘢𝘳--𝘸𝘦 𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘵.” First I would like to thank Wattpad Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read an arc of this book. I am honored to have been given the chance to read it and give an honest review. Crossbones is a story following three young pirates; Csilla Abado, who yearns to prove her strength to those who balked at her youth and to her older sister who felt she should have won the title of captain. Kane Blackwater, a young man haunted by the shadows of his wrong doings and desperate to prove himself worthy of his father’s ship, the Iron Jewel. Lorelei Penny, a young farm girl who longs to avenge her mother’s death and is willing to do whatever it takes to get closer to the killer. As the Blood Bell tolls to mark the death of the pirate king, the trails for the Bone Crown begin. Only one can claim the throne, yet rumors of a secret heir to the throne are rising and threatening all those who wish to claim the throne for themselves. This book was a very thrilling adventure for all those with a love of pirates, not only did this story hook me at the very start and left me wanting more, the pacing was very well done and all the characters were very easy to love and root for. As I read through this book I found myself very involved with each and every character; they were all so complex in their own way and had such endearing qualities about them that you just couldn’t help but love. I enjoyed watching their relationships grow throughout the course of this story, it all felt so natural and familiar at the same time. Kane was a favorite character of mine throughout the story, not only was he fascinating and at times unpredictable, I also enjoyed being able to get in his head and learn why he is the way that he is. I loved the author’s ability to paint the picture of this character’s past, which allowed the reader to understand his ambitions and inner traumas and how they shaped not only him as a person but the way he’s able to form relationships with those around him. Csilla was another interesting character, the tension between her and her older sister was obvious from the start and I found it fascinating to understand the strife and competition between them. I felt I was able to understand both character’s reasons and points of the argument, but it was also very clear to see who was the most deserving of the title of Captain and how that affected their relationship. Lorelei was a character you couldn’t help but love from the start, not only did she have a sweet and innocent demeanor but she also had a fire inside of her and the strength to move forward despite the hardships she endured. I felt the tone of the book revolved around inner strength, the bonds of love and acceptance of oneself and all these characters truly showed it well. Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the worldbuilding; I loved how the pirates had their own way of doing things and their own ruler to see it through. It made the story all the more interesting to read and gave this world the author created a very authentic feel to it. It is most definitely a world I would have loved to pay a visit to. As a lover of any and all things pirate related, this book was an absolute delight to read! I’ve been searching for a well written and engaging pirate book for quite some time and this story completely fits the bill! This is a book I would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a fun and adventurous story to lose themselves in!

Thank you so much for my copy of Crossbones! This book was such an adventure and was filled with great characters! I would love a continuation to see what happens next with each of them. If you enjoy pirate reads then look no further! I can't wait to see what is next from Kimberly Vale!

‘Be careful not to cross bones too far or they’re bound to break.’ 4 stars!! Thank you so much to Wattpad Books and Netgalley for sending me an advanced readers copy of this book!! Content warnings for Crossbones include : blood, grief and torture. After the bone king dies without an heir, five pirate captains must compete in the trials known as Crossbones. The prize being the bone crown and making them the new king or queen of bones. There can only be one winner; but who will emerge victorious and be crowned as the ruler? This book immediately captured me from the first three chapters, (as those are where we met our three main characters, which I’ll get on to later on in my review,) I knew immediately that this would be one of my top reads of the year. While I do feel the book was a tad predictable in some points I do feel the author ended up doing great things with said twists and ended up taking them in directions I wouldn’t have expected. I loved the overall plot and can’t wait to see how the author plans on expanding it in book 2!! The word building did have me confused at some points but it wasn’t too difficult to pick up on. The characters: I could literally write paragraphs and paragraphs just gushing about all of these characters, but I shall contain my excitement for October 5th when I can really truly express my love for them all. I do also feel that characters can make or break a book; you can have a strong plot with zero plot holes but if your characters are unlikeable then it just ruins the whole book, i was anxious about going into this book as it was a three character pov and I found myself expecting to get bored with certain character/s chapters and have to skim read, this was definitely not the case. I found myself thoroughly reading every line and enjoying every characters chapter equally, each character brought something different to the story and I loved seeing the events unfold through their pov! I also loved how each character dealt with things such as their pasts and current events that are happening to them. Csilla Abado I absolutely loved Csilla and I loved reading her povs, I also loved her relationships with not only Kane and Lorelei but with side characters such as Flynn and Nara, she seemed to be a really good leader to the Scarlet Maiden and her relationship with Flynn was literally everything I could ask for in a book. Their relationship dynamic was one of my favourites in the book and I cant wait to see where it goes. I also feel like lots of people will relate to her relationship with Rhoda, her sister, I enjoyed reading about their current relationship as well as events that led to their sibling rivalry. Kane Blackwater Kanes first chapter already told me that he would become one of my favourite characters of all time. I loved his whole character arc throughout the book and I loved deep diving in to his past and seeing not only how he feels about his past; but also how his current actions are based off of things in his past. I cannot wait for everyone to finally meet him. Lorelei Penny I feel like i relate to Lorelei in a lot of aspects, she cares for her mother deeply and will do anything to get what she wants. Lorelei exceeded my expectations about her and I’m very glad that the author took her character in one direction while I was expecting it to go in the other direction. I loved Lorelei’s relationship with the characters and I enjoyed watching her character develop and I am very excited to see how her character continues to grow and adapt in book 2!! The relationships While this book was more plot focused I do feel like it had just enough romance to keep the average romance reader focused. The witty banter between some of the characters had me having to set my phone down and pace around my room, debating wether or not I wanted said characters to kiss each other or kill each other. I absolutely adored the character dynamics and cannot wait to see them develop in book 2!! I also loved the family relationships this book had such as Lorelei and her mother, Csilla and Rhoda, Kane and his father, I feel like they were explored quite well and we understood the impact that they had on the story the way things that happened with our three main characters and their families that made them who they are and helped them with hard decisions they had to make throughout the book. Overall I feel as if Vale really created something special when writing Crossbones, I genuinely cannot wait for you all to see if and to get enchanted by this wonderful world and these wonderful characters she has created!

Solid story with a flair to it. Don’t let the fact it’s YA turn you off. The story is mature and engrossing. This one is for you if you like a bit of fantasy, battles and smart women.

I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley Pirates reimagin! What a twist. There should definitely be more adult and young adult pirate books out there. This one definitely kept you on the edge of your seat.

You jump right in, and it takes a little bit to get a feel for what is going on but it's engaging. I had some more specific thoughts after finishing, but traveling, work, and life in general have interfered with getting a review written in a punctual fashion. I don't recall the details of thoughts I had while reading, but what I DO have is an overall sensation of satisfaction after having finished it and I think that speaks pretty well for the quality of the story. It definitely is a world I would be interested in revisiting in a sequel.

Really enjoyed reading this book! An adventure-filled journey while reading this with a great set of characters! Jumped in excitement once I found out pirates were involved in this story and I am so glad I read this!

Pirates. Gods. Goddesses. Men of molten lava. A crown to win, the world to save. The journey follows four main characters- Lorelei, Csilla, Kane, and Flynn. Lorelei is the unassuming yet strong character. Csilla is a pirate to the core with a ship of women to take care of and the need to prove their worth. Kane, the brooding yet thoughtful pirate with childhood trauma. Flynn the boyish cutie that makes jokes to keep the pain at bay. There is love between some of them. Betrayal by those closest to them. I enjoyed this book. Admittedly the first 60% felt slow for me but once it started moving it really went fast. I guess you could say it has killer word building. The way the world was laid out wasn’t overdone, it was just right. Sometimes signers can get carried away with too many details that it begins to take away. Not this author. I enjoyed the book. The characters, as well as their growth. Thank you netgalley for the opportunity to read!

Thank you to #netGalley for letting me read an Earc of this book! Ok so Pirates, Fire Gods, Sea Gods, magic this book has a bit of everything in it. Lorelai became a character you can really get behind and root for, I also loved Kane's character. Csilla and Rhoda where an interesting pair although I had a bit of a feeling about what was in store for them. I really really loved this book and am looking forward to hopefully another one.

This is one of my new favorite books! I loved reading it, and I loved the characters. The writing is clear and unique enough in a way that makes reading this book exciting. It was a great experience and I have already recommended it to so many of my friends. I always get attached to characters when I read new books and these characters are definitely ones that I will be thinking about for a long time. I can't wait until I can get a physical copy!

I wasn't sure what to expect going into Crossbones, but I really liked it! The pirate vibes are immaculate and Kimberly Vale did a fantastic job with the plot and character development. Complete with witty banter, a touch of romance, and page-turning adventure... I cannot wait for everyone to experience Crossbones this fall! Thank you NetGalley and Wattpad books for my copy!

This book completely surpassed my expectations. The action started right away and didn’t stop. I went into this book blind, only knowing that there were pirates somewhere in the story. I’m glad the book caught my interest and hooked me from the start. The characters are all so unique and it was three interesting reading the same story from three different perspectives! My favorite was probably Csilla, and OMG Lorelei completely shocked me. These ladies are amazing, strong, and much better than the male pirates. The trails were super engaging. The constant backstabbing and life threatening moments made me want to keep reading! This book is perfect if you are looking for a fast paced, semi-romance story.

As someone who loved Bloody Jack back in the day and also the Grishaverse, this feels like a great mixture of the two. Would recommend to fans of either and those searching for adventure or those who are wanting a pirate story.

If you like the Grishaverse and All The Stars and Teeth, then I'd definitely give this a read! All in all this was a really great book. It's told in multiple POV, has magic, mermaids, pirates, violence, fighting... pretty solid book.