The Forest of Enchantments

Pub Date 24 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 14 Sep 2021
Harper 360, HarperCollins India

Talking about this book? Use #TheForestofEnchantments #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Ramayana, one of the world's greatest epics, is also a tragic love story. In this brilliant retelling, Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni places Sita at the centre of the novel: this is Sita's version. The Forest of Enchantments is also a very human story of some of the other women in the epic, often misunderstood and relegated to the margins: Kaikeyi, Surpanakha, Mandodari. A powerful comment on duty, betrayal, infidelity and honour, it is also about women's struggle to retain autonomy in a world that privileges men, as Chitra transforms an ancient story into a gripping, contemporary battle of wills. While the Ramayana resonates even today, she makes it more relevant than ever, in the underlying questions in the novel: How should women be treated by their loved ones? What are their rights in a relationship? When does a woman need to stand up and say, 'Enough!'

EDITION Paperback

This is a timeless tale of a love story from Indian mythology. The imagery and world building was superb. The narrative was well paced and beautifully written.

For someone who has read Ramayan, I was really excited to read Divakaruni's "The Forest of Enchantments". I liked the author's writing style and also how she gave her version of the story featuring Sita. Brilliantly executed.

I loved this book. I love reading books about India and I love that there are so many more of them out there now. This is a retelling of Ramayan and having watched it when I was younger brought about nostalgia. I liked that this was told from Sita's perspective whereas all stories are usually told from Ram's perspective.

Thank you so much for the chance to read this book! Growing up in North America, I have often found myself incredibly interested in learning more about other cultures, especially their religions and the gods/goddesses within each culture. This fantastic retelling has me convinced to read the original source material, and has me hungry for more. A story of womanhood and endurance, this is a memorable tale sure to inspire more readers to experience this story for themselves!