Hey! A Colorful Mystery

Pub Date 01 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021
Publisher Spotlight, Peachtree Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #HeyAColorfulMystery #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

All is quiet in the deep blue sea, when a rumor bursts forth about a "great big fish hiding in the deep!" One by one, new fish are sucked into the growing story--the red octopus was really rattled, which petrified the purple puffer fish, and startled the blue shoal, until they all flee...into a deep, dark cave. Uh-oh! That's no cave at all, but the mouth of a whale!

Ezra Jack Keats Illustrator Honor Award-winner Kate Read returns with a clever oceanic twist on the old telephone game starring a tiny pink fish and schools of brilliantly hued fish in a deep blue sea. As the chatter spreads, young readers will explore different varieties of sea animals, colors, and themes of gossip and unchecked claims. Perfect for interactive readalouds as well as for early childhood education units on colors, friendship, and marine life. Back matter includes an introduction to color theory.

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This adorable picture book was a very fun dive into the colorful fish in the sea and a mysterious rumor that starts about a monster hiding in the deep! I loved the art style and the guide about colors at the end was a lovely touch that will definitely inspire some little artists. I would recommend this to any parent!

Hey! A Colorful Mystery by Kate Read is a fun, vibrant children's picture book. The illustrations are stunning and vivid and the story is a lot of fun. I would recommend this most for children in preschool and kindergarten. Thank you Peachtree Publishing and NetGalley for providing this ARC.

I love all the vibrant colors in this book, not surprisingly since colorful is in the title. Kids will love reading this one and seeing all of the different fish as well. Beautiful!

This book shows the importance of our words and how quickly a rumor can grow into a big colorful mayhem with consequences. AND how perspective can change EVERYTHING! Such a beautiful book.

A rumor spreads among the different and colorful fish in the ocean that a terrifying creature lurks. In a panic, they all rush into the waiting mouth of a huge fish. All except a tiny pink fish who just wanted to play. She in turn frightens the big fish into opening his jaws, letting his meal escape unscathed. A short read, but with wonderful word choice, vibrant undersea scenes and expressive fish.

A fun and colorful story of rumors and fear spreading in a funny way in the ocean until they all realize how silly they all have been. I think kids will have a lot of fun with this one.

Hey! A Colorful Mystery is a cute, appealing, fun way to explore colors with young readers. The illustrations remind me of those of Leo Lionni, with beautifully water color-ish texture, vibrant colors, and expressive faces on all the sea creatures. I can easily imagine reading this over and over with my nieces & nephews! Thank you to NetGalley and Peachtree Publishing for the advance review copy!

What a fun read this is. A pink fish yells hey! and that noise startles a red octopus, a purple puffer fish, a blue shoal, and so on. The fish swim and hide in a cave or is it? Great ending. Back pages show primary and secondary colors and a color wheel all as fish.

Cute and funny, this is sure to be a "read it to me again" book. Much more than a book about colors. Wonderful!

Thanks to Peachtree Publishing + Netgalley for the e-advance publicity review copy of HEY! A COLORFUL MYSTERY by Kate Read, expected pub date October 1, 2021. Ahhh, y'all - this book is adorable. It is full of ocean animals, colors, and words that will completely engage littles in a fun story of how a rumor starts perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, and even early elementary kiddos (my 7 year old loved reading it to my 5 year old). I highly recommend it for reading and rereading at home, school, and the library.