Pretty Rude for a Girl

Pub Date 01 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021
Publisher Spotlight, Peachtree Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #PrettyRudeforaGirl #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Big, bold, and funnier than a cat in a onesie playing bagpipes, Haylah Swinton's been busy proving she's an all-star comedian through her new YouTube channel. Yet life online is its own can of trolls. And proving she's funny is tougher than she thought it'd be! Plus, her new boyfriend Dylan hasn't even tried kissing her yet, and when her deadbeat dad decides to turn up, life as she's known it is tossed into one big, colossal mess. And what better way to vent, than to spill the tea to her newly found audience online? But when friends and family discover Haylah's ranting videos, it turns out Haylah's got quite a lot of explaining to do.

Rebecca Elliott's follow up to the hilarious Pretty Funny for a Girl fires on all cylinders for YA readers. Family drama, boy drama, and a budding comedian at the center of it all makes for a laugh-out-loud, binge-worthy read.

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This book was really enjoyable. Rebecca Elliott expertly navigates a story that weaves around self doubt, broken families, and new love. This story was a fast read for me. The story and plot were engaging. At 15, I would never have had the guts to have a YouTube channel (should it have existed back then) let alone do an open mic night. Haylah’s character is inspiring with her body positive image and bravery. Haylah is unashamedly herself. However, being 15 in itself is a challenge and one that Haylah is learning the hard way to navigate. Excellent book with excellent characters. I would recommend this book!

Pretty Rude For a Girl is a humorous read with a quirky, fun main character, I wasn’t originally pulled in my the synopsis, but I thought I’d give it a try. And overall I’m glad I did! Halyah was a relatable and strong lead, and I loved the fact that she was an aspiring comedian. Her relationship with Dylan was a bit immature at times, and there was nothing special about it, but overall it was a cute addition to the story. The plot was fast-paced, and I was able to finish this over the course of a day. This is a perfect read for young teens, and I’m sure they’ll find lots of laughs and smiles between the pages.