A Cut for a Cut

Detective Kate Young, 2

Pub Date 29 Jun 2021 | Archive Date 13 Jul 2021
Amazon Publishing UK, Thomas & Mercer

Talking about this book? Use #ACutforaCut #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

DI Kate Young can’t trust anybody. Not even herself.

DI Kate Young can’t trust anybody. Not even herself.

A Note From the Publisher

USA Today bestselling author and winner of The People’s Book Prize Award, Carol Wyer’s crime novels have sold over 800,000 copies and been translated into nine languages. A move from humour to the ‘dark side’ in 2017 saw the introduction of popular DI Robyn Carter in Little Girl Lost, and proved that Carol had found her true niche. Carol has been interviewed on numerous radio shows discussing ‘Irritable Male Syndrome’ and ‘Ageing Disgracefully’, and on BBC Breakfast television. She has written for Woman’s Weekly, Take A Break, Choice, Yours, Woman’s Own and HuffPost. She currently lives on a windy hill in rural Staffordshire with her husband, Mr Grumpy…who is very, very grumpy. When she is not plotting devious murders, she can be found performing her comedy routine, Smile While You Still Have Teeth. To learn more about Carol, go to www.carolwyer.co.uk or follow Carol on Twitter: @carolewyer. Carol also blogs at www.carolwyer.com.

ISBN 9781542020930

In this exciting installment in the Detective Kate Young series, Kate is juggling quite a bit. Not only is she looking for the murderer that is proving to be a serial rapist, Kate is also determined to get behind her husband's recent attack and murder, certain that Superintendent John Dickson is behind it. As pursuing her current investigation is quite consuming, all while keeping Dickson unaware of her suspicions and activities, Kate struggles to maintain her focus. All the while, Kate is still processing the various stages of grief, and trying to spend time with her visiting stepsister Tilly and nephew Daniel. Kate and Tilly have had their troubles, so this time together is sorely needed. Duty between work and family plagues Kate more than once. As Kate unearths matching clues about the recent murder, her interviews prove more than one likely suspect. Although saddened about other recent deaths during her investigations, Kate soldiers on. Nearly floored by a late-breaking link, time truly proves to be of the essence for Kate. Locating the killer is more imperative than ever. This gripping read by Carol Wyer hit the ground running, with the tension increasing at a rapid rate. Utterly thrilling, this book was more than exceptional and ended with a pulse-pounding conclusion that literally took my breath away. A truly amazing book. I cannot wait to see what else is in store for Kate and her team. Many thanks to Thomas & Mercer and to NetGalley for this advanced ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

A cut for a cut is the second book in the series following on from An eye for an eye. In this book DS Kate young is called to a crime scene where a female body has been found dumped inside an Industrial bin with the word “mine” carved into her skin. As the investigation goes on, more female bodies are found. This book is right up my street! I love crime fiction. I was gripped wanting to know who was raping and killing the women and I was nervous wondering who the next victim would be, hoping it wasn’t a particular character I liked. I’ll definitely be continuing with these! Looking forward to book 3 🙂

Another absolutely cracking book by Carol Wyer. This is the second book in the Kate Young series and is proving to be just as good as her other work. Excellent plot lines and characters you feel at home with. I like the long running plot alongside the main story. I thought it was obvious who the rapist was, but I think the point was not whodunnit, but would they catch him. A five star read.

A serial killer is on the loose, raping and murdering women and carving the word 'MINE' into his victims. DI Kate Young and her team try to solve the case while Kate battles her own demons, convinced that there is a conspiracy within the force. When her step-sister reveals a long kept secret, Kate realises it may just help catch the serial killer and it is a race against time to solve the case before anyone else dies. A thrilling follow up to the first in the series, 'An Eye for an Eye'. Good to see the team back again and see how Kate's life is going. I was kept guessing until the ending and found the book to be exciting and gripping. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy of the book in return for my honest feedback.

Another exciting read in the Detective Kate Young series. It starts off at a fast pace as Kate searches for a murderer and a rapist. It's a thrilling read, it's well written and has good characterisation with a satisfying conclusion leaving the reader wanting more. I look forward to reading the next book in the series to find some unanswered questions to Kate's probing into bent officers. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. I have always enjoyed Carol Wyer's books and look forward to each and every one. I feel like I can just fly through them and don't want to put them down. This book was no exception. I was a little hesitant at first when she announced a new series as I loved the last and wasn't ready to let go, but right away I got into the book, and the main character, Kate. This is the second book in the new Kate Young series and we delve more into Kate's past, the death of her husband, trying to catch his killer, all the while still doing her job as a detective. The A and B stories flow seamlessly together, Carol always sets the scene and isn't afraid to show the flaws in her characters, this is what makes them interesting. Can't wait to read the next one!

Second in the DI Kate Young series. Kate's team is investigating the death of a young woman, while she is also secretly trying to find evidence about corruption in the police force that led to the death of her husband. This was decent. I'm not in love with this series, but it is good enough that I would keep reading. 3 stars.

In this second book of the DI Kate Young series, there is a murdering rapist terrorizing young women and carving the word 'MINE' into their bodies. He is a cunning perpetrator, as he has stalked each woman to learn her schedule and when she was certain to be alone and vulnerable. The pressure on Kate's team becomes worse when one of the victims found is a civilian investigation officer. It becomes personal to the force, but then Kate is not allowed access to the officer's laptop - a key step in any investigation. No surprise that it's Superintendent Dickson who orders this. He's the official that Kate has been secretly investigating for corruption, and the one she believes ordered the death of her husband, Chris. But she can't disclose that to anyone and it becomes tough to stay unbiased due to his interference on this serial killer case. In addition to these investigations, Kate is adjusting to her stepsister, Tilly, and nephew, Daniel, being back in the area. Tilly had moved to Australia with her husband, Jordan, Kate's ex-fiancé, which obviously put a dent in their relationship. But now Tilly is back after discovering that Jordan was cheating on her and she wants to reconnect with Kate. Now with her energy focused all over, Kate fears losing her connection to Chris and that she's not doing his memory proud by avenging his death. Strong as she is, how much stress can she take before she loses it completely? Her mental health get progressively worse throughout the story. Her habit of having conversations out loud with Chris and speaking in his voice continues and Kate's more upset when she doesn't hear him! She feels guilty every time she's not completely focused on him. I worry that she'll be exposed by Dickson as unstable and any hopes of justice for Chris will be lost. She clearly needs help before everything backfires on her. And I can't say I enjoy Tilly as a character, she's selfish and thinks only of herself and what she wants. Even when she realizes she treated people badly, she never acknowledges remorse and continues her self-centered behavior. And Kate just forgives her for all of it and actually feels bad for her. Anyway, let's hope that Kate can hold it together in the next story and start making that awful Superintendent Dickson pay for his sins.

What a great read! I loved the first of this series and couldn’t wait for book two! It didn’t disappoint! I think Kate is a fantastic, believable character and the story had me guessing right up until the end! Really hoping there’s book three

Now then, now then, Carol has done it again..... got me hooked on another detective series! I really like this character and the book is as expected if you read other books by Carol. Strong story line, couldn’t put the book down and read until by eyes gave in. I’m really invested in the characters and the only critique I will give is the wait now for the next book!!!

This book was good , it had suspense, drama, action, and was a little gorey lol it had a who done it vibe too! But I did loose interest a few times and my mind wandered?! Like I said it was good and worth reading but just ok for me! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

The second in a series with a cracking theme running through the two books so far in the series There is a unique trait to the main character in this book. A detective whose husband was murdered, but still lives on, and talks to her in her head. His voice is there chirping at her, constantly trying to get her to pick up the investigation that got him killed, and that’s the running theme The main story in this book centres on the investigation of a series of brutal murders, but is there more to it than there seems The victims are seemingly unrelated in an way. The murderer leaves his calling mark on each victim. Where has this brutality started, a small Staffordshire village is not the place this type of thing usually happens, and where is it leading. Two storylines, both brilliantly woven into a cracker of a plot

If there is one thing you can guarantee when picking up a thriller by Carol Wyer, it's that you are about to go on one hell of a bumpy ride. A Cut For A Cut is book two in her Kate Young series, and is a tense, high stakes read which kept me completely rapt. This isn't your straight forward police thriller, at last Kate is not your average Detective Inspector, for reasons that become apparent in the reading, but with a mixture of mystery, heart thumping action and a more than generous dose of conspiracy and corruption, the stories really do stick in your mind long after the final page. This time around we find Kate and her very select team on the hunt of a vicious serial rapist and murderer. Whilst we are never present during the act itself, the repercussions are keenly felt, and the abhorrent nature of the acts is clear from the reactions of the team and the emotional impact on the families. this case has a personal connotation for Kate too, bringing her far too close to memories from the past. You feel the frustrations of the team as they hunt down their suspect, and the tension that builds between them adds to the jeopardy that is already inherent in the story. The narrative focus moves between the investigation, Kate's personal life and, to a more sinister degree, the point of view of the killer, whose own motivations start to become clearer the more you read and progressively more disturbing too. There are scenes which will make you uncomfortable - they should - but they are not over stressed or used to gratuitous effect, just to explain, but not excuse, what comes to be. Now for many reasons, one of which being you will miss a good book otherwise, I would definitely recommend that you read book one before venturing further into Kate's world. There are threads in this story which begin with An Eye For an Eye and whilst this is a self contained story, and enough of the background to Kate and her investigations is revealed, it will mean so much more read in order. There is a secondary element to this story, one which is extremely personal to Kate, but one which also needs to be followed carefully to allow you to draw your own conclusions and fully understand the implications of what is going on. It's interesting to see Kate's reactions, torn between what is right and discovering the truth. As always Carol Wyer has created some brilliant characters. Kate Young has a few, how should I put it, unusual character quirks that might make your brows furrow a touch, but they do really ring true and I can picture someone with the intensity of emotions that she feels acting in this way. I don't think we got to know as much about her immediate team this time around, much of the focus falling on the relationship between Kate and her estranged sister, but each of their personalities still shone through and I had a clear and vivid picture of each in my head as I read. The pacing is just right, the tension and anxiety building as we know an attack is imminent, the bits that remain unsaid about the killers motivations playing out in my head making me more intent to get to the end to be proven right (or possibly wrong ...) A tense, gripping read that left me with a whole host of unanswered question and a real hunger for the next book in the series. Definitely recommended.

I really enjoyed this second instalment of the DI Kate Young series. I thought the rape case was really interesting and I enjoyed following the team's efforts to solve it. The book was well-paced and I liked the descriptions of the area, you could almost feel like you were there yourself. It was nice to get to know the team a bit better and I'm hoping that Emma and Morgan are developed further in book 3 as they seem promising but I don't have much of a handle on their personalities yet. The investigation into Kate's superior at work is an interesting storyline, but I am starting to find her conversations with her dead husband a bit grating. Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend the series. The Natalie Ward series is still my favourite but I'm looking forward to getting to know the team better in the third outing for Kate Young.

Carol Wyer never disappoints. I’ll pick up any new book by her. This book was just as good as the first one. The only complaint that I have is that you know who the culprit is right away but the story itself is great.

Thank you NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the eARC. This is the second in the DI Kate Young series and a good one. Kate has her step sister, Tilly, and her young son Daniel visiting from Australia. Tilly is thinking of coming back for good after leaving her husband. After the two sisters had a difficult past, Kate is happy to try and mend their relationship. She's been lonely, really only communicating with her dead husband Chris, not a healthy state of mind. She's still trying to find a way to bring down his probable killer, Superintendent John Dickson. At the same time she and her team are looking for the serial rapist/killer of young women who all look alike and have the words 'MINE' carved into their backs. It's a tense, fast moving story and though I like Kate a lot, I wish she'd stop talking and listening to Chris; she's going to end up mad and losing her job. I wished she'd adopted the cat belonging to one of the victims. She needs to have another being to greet her and take care of when she comes home, maybe that would help ground her a bit. I like this series and look forward to no. 3 in the series. Definitely recommended!

Great read....... Thankyou to netgalley for letting me review the 2nd installment of the DI kate young series. Who can kate trust???? Her husband chris has been murdered and kate is convinced her dci dickson has involvement in it, can she prove it???? Tilly, Kates stepsister has returned to the uk after a falling out with her husband jordan in australia, jordan is also kates ex......... can kate get the confirmation of the corrupt officers her husband was looking into?????.. love the characters, one twist after another, cant wait for the next one ,........

I literally have no words. This book is spine tingling creepy and the very last paragraph, so deliciously disturbing I had to go back a page and reread it because I thought I missed something! Do not miss out on this book!! I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review

#ACutForACut #NetGalley Good read. DI Kate Young can’t trust anybody. Not even herself. In the bleak countryside around Blithfield Reservoir, a serial murderer and rapist is leaving a trail of bloodshed. His savage calling card: the word ‘MINE’ carved into each of his victims.DI Kate Young struggles to get the case moving—even when one of the team’s own investigators is found dead in a dumpster. But Kate is battling her own demons. Obsessed with exposing Superintendent John Dickson and convinced there’s a conspiracy running deep in the force, she no longer knows who to trust. Kate’s crusade has already cost her dearly. What will she lose next?When her stepsister spills a long-buried secret, Kate realises she’s found the missing link—now she must prove it before the killer strikes again. With enemies closing in on all sides, she’s prepared to do whatever it takes to bring them down. But time is running out, and Kate's past has pushed her to the very edge. Can she stop herself from falling? Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas Mercer for giving me an advanced copy of this book.

This is the second instalment of the DI Kate Young series by Carol Wyer. The first book definitely needs to be read before reading this one to get the detective’s background story. Even though a few things are recapped, I think you’d still feel a bit discombobulated without knowing all the facts. This is a good read and a perfectly adequate crime novel; however, I did feel it missed a little bit of the wow magic that the first book had. There was the large underlying twist regarding her partner Chris in the introduction; however, now that we know what is going on, it made the conversations a little annoying. You know it is all her thoughts, so instead of it being tragic and sad, it came across as more delusional this time. The investigation into what happened to Chris was quite interesting, but it did jar against the main storyline a little; it felt like reading two different stories. The crimes that Kate and her team are investigating are heinous and interesting, but they did lack some of the Carol Wyer gruesomeness that I have come to expect. They were short of the truly horrifying details. I had been really looking forward to the continuation of this new detective’s story. However, I was left a little disappointed. Like I say, it was a good enough read and nothing particularly wrong with it, but the first book was so phenomenal I found this one to be a letdown in comparison. I don’t know if my expectations were too high or if the first book just couldn’t be competed with. I will still continue with the series to see what the outcome will be in regards to Chris; I just hope the next book has a bit more spark. I’m torn between whether it is a three or a four-star read. I’m going to settle on four as I have high respect for the author, her writing and her dedication to her stories. Maybe I was just in the wrong frame of mind going into this.

4.5 stars DI Kate Young and her team are summoned to Abbots Bromley where a female body has been found in an industrial bin. She’s been raped and has MINE tattooed on her right shoulder. This investigation becomes deeply personal for Kate and runs parallel to an ‘off book’ investigation she’s running to try to prove Supt John Dickson is corrupt and involved in the death of her journalist husband Chris. This is another gripping read from Carol Wyer. I’m not going to pretend it’s an easy read with the rape angle, although whilst it’s not graphic it’s not sanitised either - quite rightly. The novel deals well with the emotional scars of rape which is movingly explained by more than one character. This is a tense, pacy thriller from the beginning, it has good twists, it’s dark and a very compelling read that’s hard to put down. You do guess the perpetrator but that does not in any way spoil the outcome. The two gritty storylines work well together and the threads are easy to follow. The conspiracy/corruption angle is excellent and you can see that it could get extremely dangerous for Kate but she’s totally invested and doggedly pursues the truth. The characters are good although the primary focus is on Kate who is fascinating. Her issues especially her mental health following Chris’s murder is extremely well done. There are some good descriptions of places such as Abbots Bromley and Uttoxeter which makes it easy to visualise scenes. The ending is exciting and makes you want to sign up for the next instalment where I hope Kate gets closer to proving the corruption. My only negative and it’s a small personal one, is that I’m not keen on the killers ‘voice’ - I’m not sure if we needed it????? Overall, a well written and an absorbing read from a talented author. With thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.

With a serial killer and rapist on the loose on D.I. Kate Young’s patch, it doesn’t leave her with much time to spend with her sister, Tilly and Tilly’s son, Daniel who are over from Australia. Kate is still convinced that Superintendent John Dickson is behind her husbands death. Can Kate put all the pieces together and will she and the team capture the rapist & killer? This is the second book in the series and boy, does it pack a punch! The story took me on a white knuckle ride and my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest! Well written characters and some that leave you with the hairs on your neck standing on end as they are so bad. The author has written a difficult but compelling story with great plots. If you haven’t started this series yet then get cracking, you won’t regret it. My thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I was really in the mood for a good serial killer thriller and based off of this book’s synopsis, I thought it’d fit the bill. The book was engaging enough to keep me flipping the pages but ultimately, it’s never going to wind up on my favorites list.

This was the first book by the author that I read. I loved the flow of the story and was very excited to read about a woman in charge of solving a crime. With a serial killer and rapist on the loose that D.I. Kate Young is investigating, there is less time for her to spend with her sister, Tilly and Tilly’s son, Daniel who visiting her all the way from Australia. Kate is still convinced that Superintendent John Dickson is behind her husbands death. Will Kate be able to piece together what happened and capture the rapist & killer? I thank NetGalley, the author and the publisher for a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend the full series. I'm looking forward to getting to know the team better in the third outing for Kate Young. This book has left me wanting more!

This is book 2 in the Detective Kate Young series and it’s brilliant. Kate is still trying to find a way to expose Superintendent John Dickson for his involvement in her husband’s death but he seems to be untouchable. Kate and the team have their hands full with the murder of several women who have been raped and strangled. The killer is also leaving his mark on the bodies. One victim survives and is able to give Kate some vital information that helps her and the team track down the killer but the real help comes from Kate’s sister, Tilly. This is a gripping crime thriller and I loved the way that the story was told, bringing in Kate’s probing into Chris’ death along with the hunt for another killer. I can’t wait to see how this series pans out and hope Kate gets justice, but I suspect there’s more to come on this aspect first. If you haven’t started this series, now is the ideal time to pick it up as we’re only at book 2 at the moment. If you enjoy a great crime thriller then this series is definitely for you.

Another engaging instalment in this new of although I did find most of the plot direction obvious long before events were revealed. I look forward to the next instalment and hopefully finding out if Kate finally manages to nail Dickson

I was delighted to receive this book from Carol and Netgalley, having read the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s like Staffordshire’s answer to Line of Duty! Poor Kate she’s stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea not knowing who she can trust, and whether there is a “rat” in her team. As she is dealing with nasty rapes and attacks on women there’s still the unanswered questions as to who is bent and who isn’t, and who can she trust? Her step sister has arrived from Australia with her little boy and that is a welcome relief from the atrocities that she’s facing. The team are likeable, albeit a bit small, and we do get to know a bit more about them. Kate is still listening to her husband which I thought was a nice touch, and hopefully in the next book she’ll find out a bit more about who was behind what happened to him. I do like Kate and the beautiful Staffordshire countryside, which I know a bit about as my mum and Nan used to live in Rugeley. I just want to thank Carol, the publishers and Netgalley for the ARC and look forward to the next one.

Wow! This second DI Kate Young novel packs a wallop. I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series and I liked it. Kate juggles a lot in this story. A rapist who carves the word "mine" in the flesh of his victims' shoulders. Her half-sister has returned with her young son. Kate wants to spend time with them, but her workload conspires against it, and then there's the ever-present thread of who was behind her reporter husband's murder? She's certain she knows it's someone high ranking in the department and maybe even her immediate supervisor is corrupt, too. This was a rollercoaster ride and I held on with white knuckles until the very end! I hope there will be more in this series as I loved it so much. Carol is an extraordinary writer and brings her written world to life so much you feel like you're in the villages and witnessing the crimes and/or the investigations. I received a copy of A Cut for a Cut from NetGalley and Carol's publishers, Thomas & Mercer in exchange for an honest review.

Number two in the DI Kate Young series. I enjoyed this book greatly, even more than the first in the series. Going into this understanding the relationship between Kate and Chris, (no spoilers here for anyone who has not read the first one) I was able to appreciate the characters and the brilliant development in the sub plot better. There is lots going on in this book and it doesn’t disappoint. In addition to dealing with the investigation into the rape and brutal death of a young woman, Kate is rebuilding her relationship with her step sister who has returned from Australia. As the investigation grows and more bodies mount up, things become all too close to home. Coupled with that Kate is forced to compromise all her professional principles if she’s to continue to pursue her own investigation in the subplot. Away from the rollercoaster of the plot and subplot the emotions that Kate is experiencing are beautifully dealt with and instantly recognisable to anyone who has suffered the loss of someone close to them. This series has so much more to give and has a fantastic twist at the end that just whets your appetite for the next instalment

I have to say that this is my least favourite of Wyer's series so far. Personally I find Kate really hard to connect to and sympathise with, though I can't put my finger on why. Likewise, the team didn't really see any development in book so I don't really feel as connected to them as I have to supporting characters in say the Natalie Ward series. I was also hoping that the over arching series plot would develop and/or culminate in this book but actually we are no further forward than before. Maybe there is now some evidence as opposed to guess work but it hasn't moved on significantly. I actually found the whole storyline frustrating as opposed to tense in this book, the blatant interference of those under suspicion and a brick wall of those in power hiding things just isn't ever a trope that I've enjoyed, so perhaps this is just down to my preferences. The rape/killer plot was brutal and I 'enjoyed' it, but I felt like there were far too few leads. There wasn't really anything to sink my teeth into, even if it was just a red herring or two. It seemed that the police investigation was purposely slow to give more time to the overarching series plot. It also seemed a bit far fetched to have it all link back to Kate's family again. I feel like it is enough for her to be investigating Chris' murder without then having this whole other link. Personally I would have preferred if the link hadn't been established and it was just one of the victims who triggered the killer. I read the whole book and I can't say that I wanted to give in at any point but I also wouldn't say that I enjoyed it. Having read all of the Natalie Ward series (which I've given either 4 and 5 star ratings to) I just feel like this series is lacking something.

After the first in the series, An Eye for an Eye, this is a brilliant follow up and I will be waiting for the next in the series! I feel so incredibly lucky to have read an advance copy. Kate is having trouble knowing who to trust, and following the second murder she really feels like something is amiss in the force. She is being very careful who she asks questions of and who she shares with. It was a frustrating case for the team as they just couldn’t seem to find any hard evidence. Kate’s step-sister Tilly and her young son were visiting from Australia, and fitting in some family time was tough. Tilly reveals some details about her own rape many years ago which Kate hadn’t known at the time. There are some crime scene descriptions that had me wincing, but they set the scene of how the mind of the killer works. Kate is still having conversations with Chris and she does things in an unconventional way sometimes but I love the quirks of her personality. I found it a very tense read and my heart was racing. It's a cracking book, a truly gripping read which I totally recommend. Many thanks to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and Carol Wyer for the early copy in which I give my honest opinion.

My thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing Uk for a copy of “ A Cut For A Cut “ for an honest review. I was really blown away from the previous book in this series and couldn’t believe my luck to get permission to read this follow up . It definitely didn’t disappoint! As before ,the characters were really well written and the plot really kept you guessing.I live in the area where this series is set and I love visualising the scenes and places mentioned. I enjoy how we get an ending to the story but the storyline regarding Chris continues. My only problem now is having to wait for the next in the series .

I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this book - and boy, the readers are in for a treat. Although following on from “An Eye For An Eye” , “A Cut For A Cut” can be read as a stand-alone story too. There are twists and turns galore and the outcome isn’t as clear cut as you think. . For fans of crime thrillers this story really does hit the spot and makes you ponder life, who you befriend, who takes revenge later in life and in general, makes you aware of your surroundings. I think actually Carol has surpassed even the excellence of “An Eye For An Eye” ..... but I am not revealing anymore of the plot.....

I am delighted to be finally reading another Kate Young book. It seemed like a long wait. This is the second book in the series and is possibly even better than An Eye for an Eye. We have got to know Kate better and she comes across as a much more sympathetic character. She is, however, still fighting her demons. As I have mentioned before, one of Wyer's many strengths is the detailed descriptions of her characters, enabling you to empathise and care about what happens to them. Whilst one of the storylines follows on from An Eye for an Eye it is also stand alone as there are so many threads to the plot. Kate continues to seek answers and justice for her husband's death. At the same time she is under immense pressure to prove herself to her nemesis, the corrupt Superintendent John Dickson, who knows she is on to him, hates her and just wants her gone. How far will he go to rid himself of her? Her job is to catch a violent and sadistic rapist and murderer before more lives are lost. We also have the developing relationship between Kate and her formerly estranged half sister Tilly and the bond she is forming with her little nephew, Daniel. The story moves to a thrilling climax but there are plenty of unresolved issues so we know there will be another in this thrilling series.. I cannot wait. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

An excellent second book in the D.I. Kate Young series which I could not put down. Best to read the first book An Eye for an Eye in the series which again was superb. A female body is found in a bin, raped and murdered with 'mine' engraved on her body and the investigation into her death begins and keeps one guessing to the last page who is the murderer.

Book 2 in the DI Kate Young series and I do need to go back and read book 1. Although it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book there is a backstory that is important to this book. This is a great police procedural thriller with the protagonist, Kate, in the throws of hunting a serial rapist and murderer whilst pursuing her own agenda; hunting out her husband’s murderer. Very well written and a pleasure to read. Briefly, following the death of her husband Chris, Kate is back at work and although she appears to be coping she is determined to avenge her husbands death and bring her boss Superintendent Dickinson to book for his part in it. Kate doesn’t trust anyone, the only person she can talk to about work is her dead husband! Whilst Kate and her team are investigating a serial murderer who mutilates his victims by carving into their skin, Lizzie, her stepsister has returned from Australia with her own issues that Kate wants to help her deal with. But can Kate deal with her own demons? I did find the talking with her dead husband a little bit off putting but I can see how this is Kate’s coping mechanism. The reader will probably, as I did, realise who the likely murderer is well before he is revealed, but I think that is intentional. There still seems to be a long way to go to conclude the underlying story of Chris’s murder, the young girls and the sex ring and the corrupt police officers, but I’m guessing that’s for another book. Overall I enjoyed the book and a 4.5* read for me. My thanks to Carol Wyer, Thomas and Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Another great book in the Kate Young. Series. A great storyline that kept me turning the pages wanting to find out what happened. Although it can be read as a stand-alone I would recommend reading the first in the series before this one to get a bit of background. I can’t wait to find out if Kate finally nails the corrupt Dickson. Bring on the next book!

A Cut for a Cut is the second installment of the Detective Kate Young series. Kate is still graveling from the recent murder of her husband and has not yet found a way to cope as she believes the superintendent had something to do with it. While still trying to cope, Kate, is once again thrown into a manhunt for a serial rapist/murderer. This is a wild goose hunt to catch a killer and a nail biter to say the least. You wont see this ending coming and it quite literally took my breath away.

If you enjoy mystery thrillers with a serial killer on board, this is the book for you. Though I felt it slow and confusing in the beginning, it sure picked up it's pace and enravelled into a thriller.

I hesitate to give a review for books I can’t finish. 5is one was sent to me by Netgalley on a kindle for review. It is character driven and difficult to read at times. Others might enjoy it, bit it is not for me.

A Cut for A Cut is the second book in the DO Kate Young series and I found it as compelling as the first. In this novel, a serial murderer and rapist is prowling the local area, carving the word ‘MINE’ into his victims. Late and her team are struggling to find any leads even when one of their own is found dead. Kate has her own issues where she’s still trying to expose Supt John Dickson as corrupt and is convinced conspiracy runs through the force. She’s unsure who she can trust. But when her step sister spills a secret from her past, it seems Kate may have found the missing link. Thank you to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing and the author for the chance to review.

I loved this book its an amazing follow up to the first just as gripping and filled with twists and tension until your fit to burst! And i believe the 3rd is tge final book and i cant wait to see all the saga wrappee up and justice is finally served!!

This was another great read by Carol Wyer. Carol brings her characters to life and the series progress you get caught up in their lives. This is the second book of this series and we are seeing more and more of Kate is going through. Kate is still struggling accepting the death of her husband and believes that if she doesn't talk to him he will disappear from her memories. Kate is also still trying to find the links between her boss and the death of her husband and now others who were investigating what happen at the club were a young man was murdered. She also is trying to solve the murder and attacks on the young women in her district. And also trying to reconnect with her step-sister who she hasn't seen in many years. You won't be disappointed in this book, it will keep you guessing on who was attacking the young women and what were the reasons behind it. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

Thank you for my copy of this book to review. I couldn’t wait to read this after how much I enjoyed An Eye for an Eye. The plot really kept me interested and moved at a good speed, it was good to see the characters from the previous book develop and I enjoyed the few chapters told in the rapists voice. Although this book is the second in a series and there is continuity with characters and one of the storylines, it could still be read as stand-alone. I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to the third one.

I've loved Carol Wyer's previous books, especially the crime novels, but the DI Kate Young series is just something else! An Eye For An Eye ended on a huge cliffhanger and A Cut For A Cut started in the same vein - with a big bang! Wyer's writing is absolutely brilliant. Everything is tightly plotted and although it's detailed, nothing is insignificant. I really enjoyed getting to know Kate, Morgan and Emma in An Eye For An Eye and in this instalment, they are joined by Jamie. It's interesting to see how he affects the dynamics of the team and I'm sure there is more to come from him in the future. A Cut For A Cut is incredibly fast paced and I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole novel. There are a few chapters that are written from the perspective of the perpetrator and this did give me some valuable insight into his very warped mind. It did give me some hints which meant I had an inkling who the perpetrator was before he was revealed but this in no way took away from my enjoyment of the novel. Once again, the ending of A Cut For A Cut indicates that Kate's business is far from over and I can't wait to see what happens next!

DI Kate Young is a doggedly determined police officer which is just as well because her life is complicated to say the least. Recently widowed she now has to focus on her job in a totally different way because she is convinced there are people all around her just waiting for her to fail. When a young woman is raped and murdered only a stone's throw from her own front door Kate and her team are quickly on the scene. The only clue to their killer is the word 'mine' carved into the young woman’s back and when another body is found just a day later Kate knows time is of the essence if she is to prevent more deaths. With step-sister Tilly visiting from Australia and the continuing unauthorised investigation into husband Chris's murder, both running alongside her new case while she has no idea who to trust means Kate is pushing herself to the limit. Tilly however has her own secrets and one of them could have potentially fatal ramifications for both Kate's personal and professional life. This is the second in this excellent series and makes a promise of more exciting books to come. I found Kate much more readable and likeable this time around, and wanted her to be able to get her act together sufficiently enough to prove how good she still is. Her demons are just beneath the surface but more controlled, to me at least, this time, which makes me think she will gradually become a serious force to be reckoned with like Carol Wyer's previous much loved female protagonists. This is a book which gets better and better; even after finishing it I was linking things together and trying to work out what could happen next. The main investigation was tense with plenty of twists and turns and once again the final chapters gave a hint of what was to come. Kate's latest discoveries were shocking and surprising and I can't waIt to find out how they will impact on her ultimate goal of discovering how deep police corruption extends within her force and its link to her late husband’s death. I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers but the opinions expressed are my own. This is a first class read and I loved it.

Another brilliant story from Carol Wyer. I really like DI Kate Young, though she has so much going on in her personal life, it's hard to keep track of everything. The story of a serial rapist and killer really is tough to read but written well enough to want to keep reading. Can't wait to see what book 3 brings. Thanks to NetGalley and the author for the opportunity to read this book.

It’s always exciting whenever Carol Wyer has a new book out. I loved the first book in this series, so I couldn’t wait to start A Cut for a Cut. This is such a gripping police procedural. I think it does help to have read the first book in the series. There is a strand of the story, which carries on from the first book. But I think it is possible to read it as a standalone; there is an individual storyline that is new. DI Kate Young is facing another tough investigation, and it is about to hit very close to home for her. Kate is a fascinating and a very real character. She is still grieving the loss of her husband, who was killed in a terrorist attack a short while ago. However, this time, she now has her sister and her nephew for company, who are visiting. I thought the scenes in which Carol Wyer explored their relationship were done very well, and I thought it helped develop Kate’s character further. Kate and her team are on the hunt for a very deranged rapist and killer. There have been several attacks on young women. Kate feels sure that the same person has committed the crimes. But Kate is also having to deal with corruption within her own team, and she is fighting to bring the person involved in this corruption to justice. You can clearly see her frustration that this person has been able to get away with what they have done for so long. She has a lot on her plate, but she is determined to see both cases through, and nothing is going to stop her. It’s what makes both books in this series so pacy and gripping. You have no idea how things are going to pan out for Kate, she’s aware that she is putting her career at risk, but she is willing to do that to get justice. She also finds it harder to trust the members of her team. She doesn’t know who else could be involved. I’m sure that when the next book in the series is released, it will be shooting straight to the top of my TBR pile. I can’t wait to read more from this series.

Another great second instalment in this series, one of my favourite authors and I thoroughly enjoyed reading more from Kate Young. All the characters were well developed and interesting and there were plenty of twists and turns along the way that kept me involved in the story line. I am looking forward to the last one in this triology and thank you to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

A welcome return for policewoman Kate, still on a mission to solve her husband's murder. This book centres around the hunt for a serial rapist and ties in to developments in Kate's family life. our heroine walks a fine line between clarity and insanity, fighting an internal style between her desire for the truth and her duty as a policewoman. Definitely a 'can't put down' read and I'm now desperate to read the next in the series.

Really enjoying getting to know Kate Young and her team, all fantastic characters in another gripping storyline. Having read everything this author has written I'm certainly looking forward to more in this series.