Subject Twenty-One

Pub Date 01 Jul 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #SubjectTwentyOne #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What if our future lies 40,000 years in our past? Subject Twenty-One is an astonishing debut novel in which a young woman's refusal to accept the status quo opens her eyes to the lies her society is built on.

Elise's world is forever changed when she is given the opportunity of a lifetime - to work at the Museum of Evolution and be a Companion to the Neanderthal, Subject Twenty-One.

As a Sapien, a member of the lowest order of humans, she and others like her are held responsible for the damages inflicted on the world by previous generations. This job may be Elise's only chance to escape a stagnating life in an ostracised and impoverished community.

But it doesn't take long for Elise to realise that, away from the familiarity and safety of her home, her own secrets are much harder to conceal.

And the longer she stays the more she comes to realise that little separates her from the exhibits . . . and a cage of her own.

*PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED AS THE MUSEUM OF SECOND CHANCES*