To Be Wolves

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #ToBeWolves #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In the stratified world of ancient Rome, there are citizens and slaves, soldiers and senators, priests and priestesses—and Caesar Augustus rules them all. Yet his authority holds only as long as the people believe the gods of Rome support him, particularly the beloved goddess of the home and hearth, Vesta.

As chief Vestal Virgin, Pomponia continues to devote her life to protecting her order and the eternal flame of Vesta. She has risen to a position of esteem in Rome and is a valued member of Caesar’s inner circle. But now a contagion ravages the city and tension rises among Rome’s inhabitants.

While she struggles to manage the Vestal order and maintain the favor of the goddess, Pomponia must now face a malevolent nobleman, Soren, whose machinations against her threaten not just her friendship with Caesar, but everything she loves.

In To Be Wolves, Book Two in the Vesta Shadows series, Debra May Macleod takes us back to her richly crafted and meticulously researched vision of ancient Rome, artfully re-created with both historical and all-new characters, from conniving elites to celebrity slaves. An even bolder offering than its predecessor, this gripping sequel to Brides of Rome explores an even darker side of Rome.

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

A well researched historical novel, that shows the Romans had a very different way of life. For example the punishments of serving soldiers involved decimation, every tenth man being executed, and a bed slave to Octavian is executed by Livia in an awful punishment involving a snapping dog and a viper, in a sack. I enjoyed the novel. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for giving me an advance copy of this book.

I read the first book in this series and really enjoyed it, so I knew I must have the second! This book does not disappoint. Everyone who loves ancient rome and a good story will enjoy this book, especially because it is written with a feminist point of view in a time when women struggled to have their own voices and power.

Historical fiction novels and retellings are always books that provoke opposing opinions and faithful defenders, since we can love or hate them, usually without a middle point. This book, for me, is a totally 5 stars. Macleod make us travel in time to the Roman Empire, to the vestals temple and to the life of this powerful and brilliant priestesses. It put a lot of protagonism in these women, all the lies, betrayals, power games and strategies that they must use not only to maintain a social order but also their life and position. There are several stories taking place in it, all of them can catch the reader since the very first line of the book and can really make us feel inside the ancient Rome. Captivating, sensual, aggressive book you need to read! Thank you to netgalley for the ACR. Also, some warns must be said since it contains: rape, murder, abuses on enslaved people and lots of blood.

I love historical fiction based in Ancient Rome and was happy to find something written about the Vestal Virgins. This subject isn't covered often in historical fiction and it was great to read something new that wasn't based solely on the emperors or war. The reader can learn about the importance of the Vestals, their practices, and look at life in the ancient city through their point of view. You also see how they are politically motivated and how their lives intermingled with the famous names we know so much about. The author was also able to weave the stories of other characters beside the Vestals into a really gripping story that made the book hard to put down. I would definitely recommend this to lover's of Rome, Ancient History, and Women's History.

This is A well researched historical novel set in Rome exploring the lives of the vestal virgins. I received this novel as an advanced reader copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love this author and love this time period. The first book was excellent and this one is fantastic as well. Can't wait to read more if the series continues!

This is the second book in the Vesta Shadows series and the series just keeps getting better. If you are a fan of history, or historical fiction, then you will love this book/series. The author, while exercising some artistic license with historical dates, skillfully brings the world of Ancient Rome to life. The book is engaging from beginning to end, the characters are convincing and the book retains you attention. The author should be pleased with her work. I love history and historical fiction. It is rare when I give more than 3 stars and have been known to give four stars. This author deserves 5 stars. I highly recommend her.