Karliquai

Pub Date 09 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 05 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #Karliquai #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From author Rosie Cranie-Higgs comes a masterpiece of psychological horror and suspense set against the snowy and stark Swiss Alps. Deftly mixing Scandinavian folklore and dark fairy tales, Rosie’s creepy and atmospheric Whiteland series “takes readers down a terror-filled rabbit hole…” (Publishers Weekly) to a realm that is impossible to leave.

It’s been one year since sisters Kira and Romy escaped the twisted realm of Whiteland. Desperate and lonely, Kira has no one to talk to, or to convince her that she’s not crazy, and that everything in Whiteland really did happen. Worse, Romy remembers nothing and Kira just can’t bring herself to make her sister remember.

On New Year’s Eve, Kira agrees to go with her friends to a nightclub, where she hopes to finally forget everything and start fresh. Instead, she runs headlong into her past. Callum is there. He’s alive and his memories of Whiteland are intact.

But Callum isn’t the only thing that left Whiteland. A huldra has escaped, too, and it only has three things on its mind: punishment, revenge, and hunting down the trio that escaped.

Now the three friends are on the run in the real world. Little do they know that the farther they go, the closer they are heading into madness.

The only thing worse than going into Whiteland is when it comes out after you.

A Note From the Publisher

Available in the following formats: Hardcover: ( 978-1-64397-233-6)
Softcover: (978-1-64397-234-3) & Ebook:.(978-1-64397-235-0) LCCN: (2020937792). Print distribution through Ingram, Gardners, and Baker & Taylor. Ebook library distribution through Overdrive, Hoopla, and Baker & Taylor.

Available in the following formats: Hardcover: ( 978-1-64397-233-6)

Advance Praise

Praise for Whiteland, book one in the Whiteland novels series:

“takes readers down a terror-filled rabbit hole in the Swiss Alps. This powerful series launch will haunt readers well after they’re done reading.” —Publishers Weekly

“Winter time. In the woods. Swiss folklore. Female lead. Revenge! …there is plenty to capture your interest. I genuinely shivered…” —Scream Magazine

Praise for Whiteland, book one in the Whiteland novels series:

Marketing Plan

— Galley giveaway and lead title at Publishers Weekly U.S. Book Show

— Print and online advertising

— Social media and newsletter promotion

— ARC distribution on NetGalley & review soliciation to all major trade reviewers

— Title and series represented in subsidiary rights catalog; currently agented in Asian market

— Blogger and Instagram outreach for author features & reviews

— Hardcover ARC giveaway (late spring/early summer)

— Author marketing includes blog tour and social media promotion

— Galley giveaway and lead title at Publishers Weekly U.S. Book Show

— Print and online advertising

— Social media and newsletter promotion

— ARC distribution on NetGalley & review soliciation to...

EDITION Hardcover

Karliquai [Blurb Goes Here] Here's an original novel. One that introduces the reader into a brand new world full of possibilities. Reading other reviews I fail to comprehend what was not to like. It may seem a bit complicated, but that's about it. Our main characters are being forced inside the realm of Whiteland by a dangerous foe. A foe that has killed the people closest to them. A foe that will stop at nothing until all become trapped, and not for the first time—this is the second book of the series-, in a realm that plays with your mind, that awakens the horrors that belong in your nightmares, to control you and ultimately defeat you. I liked this book, a lot, it's fast paced, scary and full of imagination. Kudos to the author, I'll be waiting for the next installment on the series. Thank you for the advanced copy!

Oh WoW! After reading Whiteland in 2020 and seeing Higgs come out with a second book called Karliquai I was ecstatic! I had to request this book! And I might had squealed when I got approved! So much thanks to NetGalley, BHC Press and Rosie for both of these amazing e-books! Very much appreciated! And I had a ton of fun reading them. Digging into the island’s past, Charlotte won’t only unearth its supernatural secrets, but also solve the mystery of her own link to this cursed chunk of rock in the Atlantic. This book.was awesome! Only way in know how to describe it! The writing is like nothing I've read before and honestly that I'd what draws me in! I'm hooked line and sinker! As always the characters are great. Its like you're seriously watching a movie! Amazing! Again thanks for the approval! And I'm looking forward to reading much more for Rosie!

Strange, grotesque, and haunting. This story will stay with you for a long time. You’ll find yourself checking dark corners and empty streets for the horrors Karliquai gorgeously weaves into your mind. Karliquai transforms from a horror story into a beautiful monster that sinks it’s claws under your skin, seeking your quick-beating heart.

I did not finish this book. I started it and got too scared to finish it. If you like spooky, this might be the one for you.

Karliquai reintroduces the reader back into the horror fairy tale of Whiteland. It picks up with one year after Kira and Romy escaped Whiteland. The sisters have moved on with their lives when suddenly they are pulled back into a world of monsters and witches. As with the first book of this series, Whiteland, this world still feels like a horror version of Narnia written for adults, which is pretty fun! This should have been amazing, but there is still something missing that would make it great. I still felt that sense of confusion at times like I did when I read book 1. Perhaps that is intentional so that the reader will feel like the characters; however, I prefer something more clear. It could also be that the mythical beings are less familiar to me, so it’s hard to pictures exactly what a Kyo or a huldra is when reading. That means that it is less immersive. Overall, I enjoyed the book and will continue reading the series. I just wish there were more explanations about the different worlds and the inhabitants of those worlds.