I Think I Was Murdered

Pub Date Nov 12 2024 | Archive Date Dec 12 2024

Talking about this book? Use #IThinkIWasMurdered #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A grieving young widow. The AI program that allows her to continue to "talk" to him. And a message she never expected: "I think I was murdered."

Just a year ago, Katrina Berg was at the pinnacle of her career. She was a rising star in the AI chatbot start-up everyone was talking about, married with an adoring husband, and had more money than she knew how to spend. Then her world combusted. Her husband, Jason, was killed in a fiery car crash. Her CEO was indicted and, as the company's legal counsel, Katrina faces tough questions as the Feds take over and lock her out of her office. The final blow is the passing of her beloved grandmother.

Her most prized possession is the beta prototype for a new, ultra-sophisticated chatbot loaded onto her phone. The contents of Jason's email, social media backups, pictures, and every bit of data she could find were loaded into the bot, and Katrina has "talked" to him every day for the past six months. She has been amazed at how well it works. Even the syntax and words the bot uses sound like Jason. Sometimes, she imagines he isn't really dead and is right there beside her. She knows it's slowing her grief recovery, but she can't stop pretending.

On a particularly bad day, she taps out: Tell me something I don't know. The cursor blinks for several moments and seems frozen before the reply flashes quickly onto the screen: I think I was murdered.

Distraught, Katrina returns to her cozy Norwegian-flavored hometown in the northern California redwoods and enlists the help of Seb Wallace, local restaurateur and longtime acquaintance, to try to parse out the truth of what really happened. They must navigate the complicated paths of grief, family dynamics, and second chances, as well as the complex questions of how much control technology has. And staying alive long enough to do that is far more difficult than either of them dreamed.

I Think I Was Murdered:

• Features a unique look at grief through the lens of technology
  • Deals with current topics and themes
  • Will appeal to fans of Ruth Ware, Laura Griffin, Laura Dave, and Sarah Pearse
  • Includes Discussion Questions

Just a year ago, Katrina Berg was at the pinnacle of...

PAGES 352

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I THINK I WAS MURDERED by COLLEEN COBLE and RICK ACKER is a real page turner that will keep you guessing right to the end. There is mystery, romance, betrayal, adventure, murder and mayhem,; in facr everything you expect in a good thriller, plus much more, with the addition of a chatbot, a Chinese gang, bitcoin and a valuable egg.
When this chatbot uses her late husband’s voice to tell Katrina he thinks he is murdered, her already disturbed life takes another direction and gets really dangerous. With Seb, someone she looked down on and treated badly when they were young, and her best friend Liv, she sets off to find out what really happened.
The story is told against the background of a friendly town with a Norwegian flavour, and eateries with good food…….
Family dynamics and the characters’ emotions are explored…….
I do not want to tell you any more for fear of spoiling your read.
I highly recommend this exciting and well written novel to anyone who enjoys this genre.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Thomas Nelson. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

This was really interesting and different. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this ARC!

Wow Colleen Cable and Rick Acker what a team. They are really writing future bestsellers in my opinion. I think I was Murdered is a very thought provoking suspense about AI and greed and grief. I enjoyed reading about Norwegian food and customs. The characters were as always well thought out and pulled you into their lives and got you hooked on the roller coaster ride. You could relate to Katrinas grief over losing her husband Jason and her grandmother, but then to discover that he was probably murdered over a mysterious egg worth a fortune. I never knew some of the things in this book were even possible. Katrina and Sebs story was heartwarming and a bit sad. They pulled you through the twists and turns to the exciting and final satisfying page. I even went on the website she provided and watched the goats on the roof!! I want to thank Netgalley and Thomas Nelson publishing company for the advanced copy for my honest opinion.

This is a fascinating story encompassing AI, chatbots, and Bitcoin, that I found impossible to stop reading, until the last page was turned. I recommend not starting it late in the day if you plan to get some sleep.
Jason Foster had searched for the mythical, most likely fictitious, Satoshi eggs for over a decade. When he found it a couple weeks earlier, he’s been fearful for his life. Although it doesn’t look like much more than a faded, plastic Easter egg, inside the USB drive has those hunting for treasures frantic to find it.
Upon the death of Jason in what appears to be an innocent car accident during heavy fog, his widow, Katrina, is obsessed with chatbots, which combining all former messages and information about Jason, gives her the impression she is still in communication with him using her phone. What a surprise when the Jason-like voice announces “I think I was murdered.”
Katrina, an attorney, and her best friend, Liz, the Chief Technology Officer, work at Talk, Inc., a tech company in Palo Alto, with a unique AI app. The CEO of the company, who also was the boyfriend of Liz, appears to have vanished. He’s not been heard from nor is he responding to any phone calls. The FBI is now looking into their business dealings.
This is a fast-paced, action-packed story that includes many loveable and relatable characters, and some that left me with questions about their true character. It seems Jason left some clues for Katrina to find that includes the code for $30 million dollars of Bitcoin.
There are many unexpected twists and turns to this captivating story. I could have never guessed the shocking conclusion of this most fascinating story.
Colleen Coble has been one of my favorite authors for years, however, her writing partnership with Rick Acker has increased my love of suspense, which I’ve found to be at it’s very best, written by these two.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

This writing duo is on fire! The books keep getting better. I think this one is my new favourite!

I love to learn as I read, love a ‘suspense forward’ romantic suspense and love the assurance that I’ve got a clean read in my hands. This book has all that IN SPADES.

I was captivated by a great story centered around artificial intelligence, cryptocurrencies, and chatbots. I appreciated the delicate balance of this with things that pulled on my heartstrings: characters who learned that the most important things in life aren’t tangible, inspirational messages from exchanges between a Nazi guard and Corrie ten Boom, and reminders that every beginning starts with an ending.

Every time I felt that the tension had crescendoed to a nail-biting height, I knew that a smile was close at hand. For example, the duo referenced Freia chocolate, Tillamook ice cream, or the mixup over the Norwegian word for suit, at the perfect place in the story. As much as I loved the chase of ‘gunting’, I appreciated a well-balanced story with faith elements and romance.

I can’t wait for the next Colleen Coble - Rick Acker mystery!

I was gifted this copy by Thomas Nelson Fiction and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.

**Thank you so much to Thomas Nelson Publishing and NetGalley for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review! These thoughts are entirely my own.**

I loved this book! The plot was amazing. I was hooked from the beginning, and I had such a hard time putting it down! The action was fast-paced, but not so much so that I couldn’t keep track of what was happening. I never would have guessed the twist at the end, either.

The characters were super interesting and compelling. Their relationships were deep and interesting to read about. I cared what happened to them, which was wonderful! The book is dual-POV, which I liked. The writing style was done well, so the different character perspectives felt distinct. And, I never would have known I Think I Was Murdered was written by two authors if I hadn’t seen it on the cover. The whole book is seamless, and you cannot tell that more than one person wrote it.

The exploration of Artificial Intelligence and its impacts on humanity and our emotions was so cool and so well-done. I LOVED reading about the AI, and also about some of the other technological items used in the novel.

My only complaint with this book is the Christian content. I loved what was there, but I wish there was a little bit more. It was mentioned so little that I was jarred whenever it was mentioned. I also wish it was a little bit deeper in theology.

However, I had such a fun time reading it, and I definitely recommend it!

This is the first time I have read anything by these authors. I can, with confidence, say that I would read other books by them. Although I have always been into technology, this is the first time I understood a little about what AI can do. At my age, I would have given anything to be able to hear my mother & father’s voices throughout my life. If only this existed, or made available twenty years ago!!

The story was intriguing and the characters were likable. The small town setting, relaxing atmosphere, and a “family” of friends watching out for each other is something I long for right now. The authors painted a vivid picture.

There was a twist at the end that I did not see coming. I highly recommend reading this book!

Colleen Coble and Rick Acker brings Artificial Intelligence into the mystery genre in I Think I Was Murdered. I enjoyed the suspense and twists and this was a quick read for me. The romance and family themes were also sweet to read. Thank you, Netgalley and Thomas Nelson Fiction for giving me this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Good mystery….as always!
I enjoyed that the characters knew each other in high school and reconnected. Interesting dynamics between the brothers and their dad.
I have no idea what bit coins are but that didn’t take away from the story.
Thank you Netgalley for the arc.

This story has great twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I loved the AI twist too. Colleen Coble and Rick Acker are wonderful writers but together it takes their work to another level. This is classified as Christian literature and I understand that but it's not written with hit me over the head Christian ideas. Instead it shows how a Christian uses their relationship with God to help them in difficult situations.
Huge thanks to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson Fiction for an ARC.

Colleen Coble's "I Think I Was Murdered" is a riveting and masterfully crafted thriller that captivates readers from the very first page. Coble's expertise in weaving suspenseful and emotionally charged narratives shines through in this gripping tale of mystery and intrigue.

The story follows an unforgettable journey filled with unexpected twists and turns, as the protagonist uncovers layers of secrets and deception. Coble's deft characterization brings the characters to life, making their struggles and triumphs feel deeply personal and relatable. The protagonist's quest for truth is both compelling and heart-wrenching, drawing readers into a world where every clue leads to more questions.

Coble’s writing is both evocative and precise, creating an atmosphere of tension and urgency that keeps readers on the edge of their seats. The plot is meticulously constructed, with each revelation adding depth and complexity to the overall story. The blend of suspense, mystery, and emotional depth makes this novel a standout in its genre.

"I Think I Was Murdered" is a testament to Colleen Coble's storytelling prowess, offering a thrilling reading experience that lingers long after the final page. It is a must-read for fans of suspenseful fiction and anyone who loves a well-crafted mystery that challenges the mind and touches the heart.

I absolutely loved this book. The AI aspect of it was very interesting. Colleen Coble has long been a favorite of mine but this co author was so good I couldn’t tell where. He started and she ended. They wrote beautifully together!
Katrina is still grieving the loss of her husband Jason a year ago. She works at a company that creates chatbots. The newest one is mimicking her deceased husband. They created him by loading all of his socials, texts, emails and photos into the program so when she talks to the chatbot or asks questions it sounds like him. One day she asks, tell me something I don’t know about you, he comes back with I think I was murdered! With the help of her childhood friend and Jason’s “voice” through chatbot they try to figure out what really happened to Jason.

Artificial Intelligence is a scary thing. Coble and Acker make it even scarier. I am loving these absolute new stories from them.

I received an advanced readers copy from Thomas Nelson and Netgalley. Opinions are my own.

This another great suspense read!
I wondered how the title of the book fit in and it is cleverly entwined in the storyline.
There are multiple main characters; all well developed.
A death, a homecoming, bitcoin, and AI create a compelling tale that will keep you turning the pages.
How far technology has come is frightening but thankfully God remains in control.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. My opinions are my own.

Wow, the suspense kept me turning pages as fast as I could read! I enjoyed the light romance and faith threads too. The perpetrators were surprising and I loved the whole book and the ending! These two authors write wonderful books together, and I look forward to reading more from them!

"I Think I Was Murdered" by Colleen Coble is a gripping and emotionally resonant thriller that explores the complex interplay between grief, technology, and the search for truth. Coble's masterful storytelling draws the reader into the life of Katrina Berg, a young widow whose world has been shattered by the sudden loss of her beloved husband Jason.

The premise of the book - that Katrina is able to continue "talking" to Jason through a sophisticated AI chatbot - is a captivating and thought-provoking one. Coble deftly navigates the nuances of this relationship, capturing Katrina's profound longing for connection as well as the bittersweet and unsettling nature of her interactions with the AI. The twist that the chatbot delivers - claiming that Jason was in fact murdered - propels the narrative into a captivating mystery that kept me turning the pages.

Coble's characters are richly drawn and multidimensional. Katrina is a complex and sympathetic protagonist, her grief and struggles palpable on the page. The supporting cast, particularly local restaurateur Seb Wallace, are equally compelling, adding depth and texture to the story. The author's attention to detail in setting and atmosphere also enhances the reading experience, painting a vivid picture of the cozy northern California town that becomes the backdrop for Katrina's journey.

Ultimately, "I Think I Was Murdered" is a powerful exploration of the human experience - of loss, of love, and of the ways in which technology can both help and hinder our quest for meaning and connection. Coble's skilled storytelling and compelling characters make this a must-read for fans of suspenseful, emotionally resonant fiction. I highly recommend this captivating book.

This was an exciting story of deception, secrets, mystery, and starting over.. The characters were great, well developed and facing some real life issues. The plot was intriguing, and different than most thrillers. I truly enjoyed it, and highly recommend.
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I enjoyed this book. It was a little hard to get into, but after the first few chapters, I was hooked. You can tell that the authors have done a lot of research into the world of AI. There were parts that were a little confusing to me, but there is so much of AI that I don’t understand. This book had a good bit of mystery and action throughout. It definitely wasn’t boring!

I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest opinion.

A murder mystery with a twist!
“She didn’t want to be that person who looked back on her life and realized she’d missed the best life had to offer because she was afraid.”
What a fun title! It really grabbed me and carried me along right to the surprising conclusion. Even though I knew it was coming, when I read “I think I was murdered” in the text it still gave me chills. I am glad that the authors did not just incorporate the concept of AI, but also the idea that while AI can be used for good, it can also go too far. Advancements in technology can actually hold us back, and just because we can does not mean we should. I love that the authors separated truth from myth at the end, and that most of the tech was based on truth. The only warning I have is for a brief mention of suicide.
Technology, a bit of romance, and Christian themes – I enjoyed this book from beginning to end! I liked it even more than What We Hide and Fragile Designs. These two authors worked together seamlessly on this novel and I am eager for more.
*I received a complimentary copy of this e-book courtesy of Thomas Nelson Fiction through NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.