Lived Through That

'90s Musicians Today

Pub Date 19 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 29 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #LivedThroughThat #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The 90s live on in this edgy offstage glimpse of the indie musical artists that shaped a decade.

The music of the 1990s shaped more than one generation. It was the music Generation X came of age listening to and the songs millennials cut their teeth on. In Lived Through That, professional photographer and music enthusiast Mike Hipple shares intimate and unique photographic portraits of dozens of the greatest artists from the '90s. Accompanied by in-depth interviews throughout, this behind-the-scenes image-driven collection reveals details of each musician’s time in the limelight as well as where life has taken them. Their words and images are open, honest, inspiring, and personal, offering profound and humorous memories and gems of wisdom that will resonate with fans and music lovers alike.

From Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic to indie icon Tanya Donelly to Arrested Development’s Speech, the portraits and stories featured in Lived Through That cover a wide range of rock, rap, and alternative stars. Whether they were chart-toppers or underground sensations, the artists in Hipple’s epic collection tell the story and reawaken the songs of a pivotal era.

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Lived Through That features candid portraits and brief interviews with dozens of alternative musicians from the 90s. I loved the variety of artists featured, many being lesser known but fantastic. My favorites were: Anna Waronker (That Dog), Mary Lou Lord, Speech (Arrested Development), Kay Hanley (Letters to Cleo), etc. A perfect coffee table book for anyone who loved 90s alternative. Thank you Girl Friday Books and NetGalley for providing this ARC.

This book was ok. I expected something different. For the subjects written about, the writing was good. For fans of the subjects, this would be an interesting read. Thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the arc of this book in return for my honest review. Receiving the book in this manner had no bearing on this review.

Beautiful Photography and Interesting Interviews This book by Mike Hipple has neat interviews and gorgeous portrait photography of some of the biggest musical influences of the 90’s. If you grew up listening to 90’s alternative and rock like I did and wonder what those musicians are up to now, this book is for you! Great for the music lover on your gift list. **Thank you to Mike Hipple, Girl Friday Books, and NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

I'm a music journalist who covers a wide range of music genres and periods (1920s to 2020s) and I do listen to lots of CDs. i was curious about this book and requested a pdf which arrived promptly. I looked at the list of artists and - other than Wesley Stace who lives in Philadelphia where I live and USED TO use the stage name of John Wesley Harding - and Adam Schlesinger (who i know from Fountains of Wayne and the Tom Hanks film "The Way You Do", the others were not familiar. While reading the text and looking at Really great photos, I realized that most of these "Stars of the 90s" were, in most cases not tattooed or punkish. the looked like middle-age or older folks. I liked the look of the book. I will say you you look at the list of artists covered. if you know at least half of them, this is for you. I can't say if the musical styles of these performers is Alt-rock, New Wave, or Punk, but there is no one here you would find on general radio station. . So I'm giving the book a four star rating for graphics and text a an passing on rating the relevance to me. That I'm not qualified to do as , except for those mentioned above, I've not heard their music

Good as a quick book to skim through for your favorite artists, and skip ones you don’t know. Maybe a coffee table book.

I found Lived Through That by Mike Hipple to be a fun read that both took me back to that time and brought all of these artists into my present. This is largely for a nostalgia trip (or three) but does serve to remind us that these people have aged and changed just as we have. By the way, the subtitle of the book is '90s Musicians Today, so this is not a history of the 90s, this is about, wait for it..., 90s musicians today. Not really all that confusing, but read the whole title so you'll know what you're reading. Poor reading comprehension is not the book's fault. If you were into alternative/college radio/pop at all during the 1990s you'll recognize most if not all of the bands and artists. I have only kept up with a handful of them so this was a wonderful chance to learn what has happened in the interim and, in a few cases, start following them again in their new directions. Whether you remember a particular artist or not, Hipple makes going back to the 90s real easy by including a few essential songs. This is great whether it serves as an introduction to them or as the beginning of a rabbit hole of nostalgia. I would recommend this to anyone who remembers the music of the time and wonders what happened with some of the artists. The short excerpts of the interviews offers a slightly different, and for my taste better, perspective than many "where are they now" projects. Most tend toward a narrator sensationalizing the artist's ups and downs, while here we have the artist telling us what they have been and are currently doing. I much prefer hearing from them than some narrator. Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

This book was received as an ARC from Girl Friday Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own. When I read this book, I recognized almost all of the artists featured. A few of my favorites were mentioned and interviewed and it brought back a blast from the past and many memories. The photos taken were really breathtaking and brought their stories to life like I was interviewing them right on the spot. Also, I loved the layout of this book and how Mike Hipple just wrote the truth of all the artists and left nothing out. I really loved all of the artists featured in this book so it's hard to pick just one that was my favorite but if I said which one had the most interesting story had to be Krist Novoselic from Nirvana and the stories he would tell about the band and the whole experience. I can definitely see this book on coffee tables all over the country. We will consider adding this title to our Art/Photography collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.